Categories > Original > Fantasy > Chronic Earth: The Tale Of Seasons

Chapter 1: Winters Discovery

by CETToS 0 reviews

Winter Snow [our main character] finds out about his new powers, and meets some new, interesting people along the way.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy,Humor,Sci-fi - Published: 2008-03-15 - Updated: 2008-03-16 - 4385 words

0Unrated
"So, why do I have to set the table tonight?" said a boy, in a dining room, set up very orderly.
"That’s your job. Setting the table every night. Why are you always asking stupid questions Winter? Everyday you set the table, and everyday I make Dinner. Why does that upset you?" replied the girl, who was in the dining room along with the boy. She was making dinner.
"It doesn't upset me, it's just that I really don't want to do it!" snapped Winter with anger.
"Well, if you don't want to do it, then I guess I don't want to make Dinner every night," scoffed the girl.
"Fine!" said Winter as he slammed his chair into the table. "I'll just make it myself if you're going to be that way!"
"Good luck Winter," the girl replied sarcastically, to herself.
"Kindle, I heard that!" screamed Winter as he slammed the door.
"Gosh.. He's cute when he's mad," said Kindle to herself as she sat down with her food that she had just finished preparing.
"Stupid girls.. I don't need her to make me food every night, with that stupid 'set the table' crap. That's just ridiculous, why do I need to do that? It just.. doesn't make any sense.." said Winter, as he stumbled upon a river.
"Is this.. The 'River of Elo'? Hmm.. I haven't seen it go
this far in a long time.. Must be from the ocean.. I guess.." and just as he stopped his sentence, he saw something flowing down the river. It looked like a small basket, with a bottle in it. The bottle was very ragged, and had a cork stuffed into the top. But inside.. it looked as if there was a note inside of it. Winter immediately dove into the cold river water, and swam after the bottle. As he kept swimming, he noticed, that everywhere he swam, the water started to get colder, and colder, that it eventually turned into ice! As he got more fascinated about his new discovery, he swam faster, and finally caught up with the bottle, and grabbed it. Winter stuck his feet down into the bottom of the river, but the river kept pushing him, as if something was pulling him down the river. The river was now angled several degrees downward, and starting getting faster. Winter leaned up, and tried swimming backward. Still no success. Breathing harder and harder, pushing faster and faster, but he still could not beat the rivers momentum. Finally, he just gave up, and let the river suck him into the waterfall that came soon afterwards, and he fell several hundred feet, that lead into 'Elos'
Forbidden Lake’. As he fell, the whole river froze, and so did the waterfall.

"Winter? I'm sorry for being so mean last night, but you seriously got to stop getting mad at me for the dumbest reasons! It's getting to the point, where it's just too ridiculous for me to handle anymore... C'mon Winter, I know you're in your Shack.. ..I mean you're always in your Shack when you're mad at me.. ..Winter?"
As Kindle approached Winters Shack, she noticed the frozen over river. "The 'River of Elo'? ..Why is it all the way down here again? ..And how come it's frozen over.." Kindle thought about this for quite a while, and looked all over for Winter. Still no sign. She was getting fed up with whatever stupid game Winter was playing. It was going too far. But, soon it hit her, and it hit her hard. Winter's powers were complete. It had begun.

"Tyme! Tyme! Winters' powers have completed! I guess when he got mad last night, they finally were completed, and took full effect. The 'River of Elo' is frozen over. I'm guessing he was swimming, and froze the whole thing. ..What should we do?" said Kindle, as she busted through Tymes' door, screaming information out off the top of her lungs.
"Well.. First we must find Winter, and tell him what is about to happen to his life. I knew the time would be right when his powers were complete, and I guess that day is today. You go out and find him, and bring him back as soon as you can," replied the old man, who looked as if he had never shaved. He also carried a wooden cane, with an hourglass stuck into the handle at the top.
"Ok, but I have no idea where to find him.."
"Follow the river. That's where he obviously is. He probably climbed out, and went back onto the trail, but that's Ok. He leaves a snow path wherever he walks now, it should be easy to find him.
"Ok, thanks Tyme. I will be back soon. Thanks again.." replied Kindle as she ran out of his door, and immediately back to where the ice began on the 'River of Elo'.

"Ok.. Well, this river is pretty long.." said Kindle to herself, as she walked on top of the frozen river with her boots that kept melting the ice, every step she took.
"Where could that crazy boy be.." Immediately, as she reached the area where the river went down slightly, she slipped and fell onto her bottom, sliding down the iced river. As she slid, she realized that she wasn’t going to stop sliding downwards any time soon. This river led to a waterfall, which fell down mighty steep. She reached for her paddle, and lit it up with a Fire Starter, and it flared up into a nice flame. She stuck the paddle into the ice, and slowed herself down so much, that she had made an indent into the ice, and right before it fell into the Lake. Kindle, scared as heck, carefully stood up, and leaned over to look down the waterfall. The whole Lake was now a huge block of ice, sitting in the middle of millions of trees, hundreds of feet below her.

"Wow. What an idiot.." Kindle said to herself, as she got to her feet, and headed back to the riverside. Walked the rest of the trail to the ledge, and got on her stomach, to stick her head over the waterfall. As she looked down, she kept seeing a huge blast of water being produced every so now and then. Was it Winter trying to get out? No.. He could only freeze things.. But then.. who could it have been?
"I'd better get back to Tyme though, and let him know what happened." remember Kindle, as she started heading back to town.

"Huh.. Wh-who are you?" Winter said as he gulped for air.
"Well, I am Spring Showers. Nice to meet you," said a cheerful little girl with green hair, dressed in a magnificently pretty green dress.
"Uhh.. Yea, you too. I guess.." said Winter, imagining this is all just one big dream.
"So, what's this bottle in your hand? Where'd you find it?” questioned Spring as she helped Winter up to his feet.
"Oh! The Bottle! That's what got me into this mess.. That stupid bottle.. Made me jump into the river.. and then, it started to freeze.." Winter said, as he sat there trying to remember what happened after that.
"So, you're.. Winter? Winter Snow? Seriously?" said Spring very surprised and interested.
"Uh, yea. How'd you know?" said Winter confused.
"Well.."

"..He is the master of all things cold, icy, and wintry. He's a season. He has a long future ahead of him. So you do, and so do I," said Tyme.
"Well.. What do I have to do in the future?" questioned Kindle.
"You, Kindle Flame, are the controller of Fire. Fire is the element you were designated as. You are not a Season, but you are still very important. Fire is a primary source of warmth, you help expand forests by killing off all the plants, making fresh new plants, and killing disease. You are very resourceful to this Planet."
"Oh, wow. I thought I was just abnormal, yet I have this huge role.. Wow.."

"Well, what about you? And the other seasons? What do they do?" asked Winter.
"Well, I am Spring. I restart all the trees, and flowers, so that they bloom, and create what they need for this earth, then my duty goes to this guy named Summer Sunshine. He's a spunky little kid, who has the power to make everything perfect. Nice weather so the plants can produce fruits to eat, and make pollen for flowers, so that the bees can keep it all alive. Then the duty is then handed over to this girl named Autumn Wind. She is a very calm person, very wise, and helps all the trees get rid of there produce, which kills off all the finished nutrients that the plants have produced over Summer. She then discards all the trees of their leaves, and hands it over to you. You are the one who restarts it all. You make it so that the trees, and flowers die so they can come back healthier next time around, and produce even more fruit than last time. You help them hibernate, and become stronger for next time. You make the weather extremely harsh, so they have to become extra strong to survive through it. Then, you hand it over to me, and it starts all over again. I have to make it rain, Summer has to make it be very sunny out, Autumn is supposed to change the leaves colors, and blow them all off, and you are supposed to get it ready for the next cycle by snowing a lot, and making it very cold.. Understand?”

"Ok, so we all have big responsibilities to keep this world alive somehow, by doing our power to it's fullest, every time it needs to happen?" asked Kindle.
"Yes. Precisely. Now what we need to do, is get to Winter somehow here. Now what did you say you saw at the bottom of the Lake?" said Tyme.
"A huge splash of water, which came flooding out of a hole in the ice. It couldn't have been Winter, because you just said his specialty is Ice, and cold." worried Kindle.
"Well.. seems like Spring found Winter. She's probably down there explaining this to him like I am to you. Don't be afraid. Just jump down there, and use your fire to melt the ice, into water so you can land in it. You'll be fine, trust me," said Tyme.
"Ok. I got it.. But you never told me what your power is.. or your element I mean," wondered Kindle.
"No time for this right now. Bring Spring and Winter up here, immediately," exclaimed Tyme.
"Ok.. But next time you'll tell me.. Promise?"
"I promise. Now go get them before they head out!" said Tyme, this time harsh.

"Hmm.. That is pretty interesting, I never knew I had such a big role.. I never even knew people had roles!" said Winter excitedly.
"Well, yea.. Actually, there are more than just us too. There's these people called, Elements. They help us with our duty to complete our jobs. They make it faster even sometimes," remarked Spring.
"Oh really? Because I have this friend, and her name is Kindle Flame. She has this paddle that she can use to light on fire, and melt stuff, and make things heat up. It's pretty neat. I don't know how she got that staff though.." replied Winter.
"Oh really? Hmm.. I think she's an element. She helps get rid of diseases in plants. I think.. I don't remember," said Spring, still trying to think.
"Well.. I don't think she is.. She's just a big stupid face..."
"Wh-what's that sound?" said Spring stunned.
"Huh? What are you talking about.."
When they looked up, they saw Kindle, free-falling with her staff lit in her hands. As she neared, she flung the sword at the ground, and threw some more Fire Starters. The ice began to melt, and she flung right into the melted area, with a big yell of "Cannonball!"
"Is that her?" Spring said, astonished.
"Yea.. I guess it is her.. But.. how'd she do that?" exclaimed Winter.
"Hey guys.." said Kindle, as she dried off her clothes with her lit stick. "How's it going? Did I scare you.. I didn't mean t.."
"That was amazing Kindle! How did you learn how to do that?" screamed Winter.
"I really don't know, but Tyme needs to talk to us! Badly," said Kindle with excitement. "I think you already know now.. don't you?"
"Yea. About the whole season thing, and how we control the Earth. I got that. How about you?" said Winter.
"Yep. Pretty much, Tyme told me all about it."
"And I told Winter about it!" said Spring.
"Yea! I realized that much. Well, we better get going, I think I have an idea on how to get back up.."

As Kindle explained the plan to Spring and Winter, they started to act it out. They pretty much got it down too, and started doing it for real moments later. Spring shot some water toward the rock wall, and immediately Winter would freeze it. Then, Kindle would follow up, by carving steps into the ice, to walk up.
"Great idea Kindle. I think it's going to work!" said Spring, starting up the iced stairs. When they got halfway up, they stopped for a little, and took a break. They were really tired from this whole experience. It was getting repetitive, and boring. But not even fifteen minutes later, they sprung back up, and kept going upwards, shooting more water, freezing it, and carving steps. It was a long process, but not long from then, they made it up fine.
"Wow.. I am never doing that again!" yelled Winter.
"Well, why'd you do it in the first place, you big dummy head," said Kindle, as she tackled Winter.
"Hey! Quit. I didn't mean to," said Winter falling to the ground, laughing, and wrestling with Kindle.
"Well, aren't you two just the cutest couple," said Spring followed by some giggling.
"Well.. Uhh.." said Winter as he got up. "We do that all the time! Leave it alone! I hate it when she does that anyways.." He stormed off, and started to run away from the two girls.
"Gosh.. Such a cutie when he does that.. I love it," said Kindle very softly.
"Jeez, does he always do that? Plus, why was he all of a sudden so mad? I thought he was always nice.." wondered Spring.
"I just think he is ashamed that he likes me.. I already know that he does, and I like him too.. It's just that he has this anger issue. I guess it comes with his season.. Winter isn't exactly the best of all seasons.. I mean he pretty much kills off the trees, and destroys things with blizzards and stuff.."
"..Yea, but he also brings them back to life, but stronger and healthier.. He makes this world go around.. surely more than all of the other seasons do! Plus, without one season, this world wouldn't be able to survive in the future," said Spring, trying to prove a point that Winter isn't always bad.
"Yea.. I guess you are right.. But.. I don't know, we will just see what happens next.. Right?" said Kindle.
"Right," replied Spring. They joined hands, and followed the trail all the way into town, to retrieve the special information from Tyme.

As they walked up to Tymes’ chair, they looked around his place. It was nice and furnished, with pillars every ten steps, and a nice red carpet leading up to his chair, with him sitting in it, unfortunately.. asleep.
"Wake up Tyme! We are back! Wake up!" yelled all three of them.
Tyme woke up startled by the loud talking, and looked to see the three of them waiting patiently, to hear what he had to say. He stood up, and walked down from the stairs leading to his chair. He kneeled down very slowly, and began explaining immediately.
"I am glad you are back, safe and sound. Now that we are all on the same track now, it will be a much faster process. This is the first, and only time this will ever happen in this whole Earth, so we need to do it perfectly, to set this planet up for the great future it will hold. What we need to do, is come up with a time period, so that I can follow it.."
"Hey! You never told me what element you were! You said you promised Tyme!" said Kindle in a harsh tone.
"Well, hey calm down there just a little bit! Jeez. Ok, well I am the TIME ATTRIBUTE. I control how long it takes for certain events to take place. Actually, every single event in this Planet. Even as we speak, I am controlling how fast it goes," explained Tyme.
"What‘s an attribute though.. Sure sounds like a big role.." replied Kindle more calmly. Kindle finally realized why Tyme had this huge chapel just for himself. He needed a lot of thinking space surely, for all that concentration.
“It is the meaning of Earth. Everything Earth is supposed to have to function correctly, is called an attribute. It’s what makes up Earth pretty much..”
“I see. That’s pretty neat,” said Winter.
"Yes. Now, let me get back on the main subject. As I was saying, we need to come up with a time period, so that I can follow it so all four seasons have there chance of doing there job in that time limit. Now, how do we want to do this.. any ideas?" asked Tyme to the two present Seasons, and Kindle.
"Well.. Why don't we make a measurement system of "time" to see how long we each get. Maybe even naming them so we don't get confused," suggested Spring.
"That's a good idea. Sounds very clear, so we'll stick with it," agreed Tyme. "But, we should make these time frames into segments so you all get the same amount. I am thinking about three each. Right?"
"Yea. But three what?" wondered Winter.
"Three time frames..."
"Called 'Months.' Months sounds very formal, plus I know someone with a cat named that, and it'll do fine I think," said Kindle.
"Great! So three months each, leads up to twelve months total. We also have to call the total twelve months something.. So we don't get mixed up," said Tyme.
"A 'cycle'? Like a full rotation of something, going over and over again," suggested Winter.
"No. It has to be something that we don't already know!" replied Spring. "Something like Yare.. No.. Year. That sounds better."
"Ok. Twelve months is the same amount as one year. But how many days in a month?" said Tyme, bringing up another question.
"Hmmm... Let’s just say thirty days in each month. That sounds pretty long, but not too long," said Winter, with certainty that this one will be accepted.
"Yes! Great job. Thirty days feels perfect to me too! I was just about to say that Winter," said Spring very excited.
"All right. Then it is settled. One year is settled to twelve months, and one month is settled to thirty days, then we now have a total of three-hundred sixty days. That sounds just about enough to get this planet started! Great job you three.. sounds good," said Tyme as he headed up his stairs to his chair.
"Ok. So now that that is settled, what do we need to do to find the other seasons?" asked Winter in approval.
"Actually, they have been with me ever since Kindle first came to see me. See those two pedestals over there, with the small goblins?" said Tyme.
"Yea... What about them?" said Winter, as all three of them looked over at those stony goblins lifted up on pedestals.
"Well.. They are actually..."
"Autumn Wind!" said one of them, who had a leaf sweatshirt, orange pants, and a swirl of hair right down the middle of her forehead.
"And Summer Sunshine!" said the other, who had long spiky hair, a bright yellow T-shirt, and two chains hanging from his belt loops.
"Really? So the whole team is already united?!" screamed Spring in excitement.
"Yep yep!" said Autumn.
"Truly is an awesome thing.. the whole season thing I mean. It's going to be so much fun!" said Summer, while putting his arm around Spring and Autumn. All three of them stood there waiting for Winter to say something.
"Uhm.. Yea, really fun! Hehe.." said Winter, with his head down, fidgeting.
As all three of them stared at him unhappily, Winter finally broke through..
"What if I never even wanted to do this?! Who said I would anyways, huh? Kindle and I have our own adventure set up, and it's coming up really soon! Why can't we continue with OUR plan?" screamed Winter.
"Winter... This is the adventure I was talking about... I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner. Your powers kicked in last night, but while I wasn't around. It would've been much clearer if you just set the table," said Kindle, walking over to Winter putting her hand on his shoulder.
"Oh bullcrap this was the adventure! How the hell did Autumn, Spring, and Summer know when to get here?!" replied Winter in his angry tone again.
"We got all of our powers last night too. It was really weird.. I had a dream that night, of a boy reaching for a bottle in a river.. It was too dark to see who he was, but he sure was putting up a fight," stated Autumn.
"Yea, me too. It kind of looked as if I already met that kid.." Summer said as he started to daze off..
"That kid was me! I almost drowned in that water, and then all of a sudden the river started to freeze as I kept going down it. That's why Spring had to spray me out!" Winter screamed, this time finally settling down a little bit.
"Really? That kid was you? But.." said Autumn is surprise.
"Yea, that was me all right. Look," he replied pulling out a bottle with the note still inside.
"Yea! That was the bottle in my dream! But.. You still haven't opened it?" wondered Summer.
"I guess not.. Do you want to check right now, would that be all right Tyme, or are we interrupting something you'd like to sa..."
All five of them looked behind themselves, to see that Tyme had disappeared. Not even a piece of paper was left behind telling them where he went.
"Uhm.. Ok. I guess he left without.. us.. noticing?" Kindle said in confusion.
"Yea. That's weird! I wonder why he couldn't tell us.. Hmm.." Summer said as he pulled out a small notebook.
"Do you still all want to hear what it says?" announced Winter, impatiently.
"Yea, I got my notebook out so I could copy it, just in case we lose the original copy."
"Ok. Here is what is says..." said Winter, as he pulled the note out of the beat up bottle. The cork was the hardest thing to get off, but when it did, it shot off into the lounge. They just left it there, no need to keep it in the bottle still. Winter reached into the bottle,. grabbed the wrinkled page out of the bottle, and read out loud..

" 'The Beginning of Reality | The Beginning of Earth. This will be the only chance to do this, ever, so do not forget on single thing. All seasons, you must please follow these instructions for the setup of this Planet Earth. You will each have 5 years to do so. You must practice everything you know, over and over again, and keep repeating them to make it work for you, and for this world. Make systems where you will control, and find elements that will make your quests easier in making your season the most best it can be. Remember, this is..
The Beginning of Reality | The Beginning of Earth. Take care.
Father Tyme--' "

"Wow.. That was a lot of information! He obviously wants us to do it by ourselves.. So I guess we are on our own, but we still have to use each other to make this all work. 5 years he said," responded Summer.
"Yea. 5 years.. But we just made up the term 'year' not even 20 minutes ago. He couldn't have reached into my bag, stole my bottle, and replaced the note, without me noticing it.." said Winter out loud..
"But... that means, after we devised a system of time, he must have stopped time, gone back, and put that letter in the bottle when he was finished writing it. So.. he had the whole thing planned out all along.." declared Summer.
"Wow.. You really thought that out, in a matter of seconds, huh champ?" said Autumn in a playful tone.
"Yep.. Guess so.. Heh. But, uhh.. What exactly are we going to do about it?" said Kindle, a bit worried now that she realized the plan that Tyme had all along.
"Well, you heard Tymes' letter, we have to finish Earth! By setting up our lives to control Earths seasons! Doesn't sound that easy though.. Heh.." said Spring as she sat on the floor, obviously disappointed.
"Hey! Don't get upset, we'll get past this in no time," said Winter as he patted Spring on the back gently.
"Promise?" she said looking up expectantly.
"Yes, I promise. We all promise, right guys?"
"You betcha. We are with you all the way," they all replied with a cheerful leap.
They were finally ready to set up Earth, but first, they had tasks to overcome. While they all got out of Tyme's Chapel, they locked it up, and headed to Winter's house for shelter. It was almost night-time, and Earth didn't have a Moon yet. Actually, they didn't have a clue what a Moon was actually! All they knew, is that they needed this night, was a good dosage of sleep. Tomorrow was a big day for our Heroes, because it was "The Beginning of Reality | The Beginning of Earth.”
Sign up to rate and review this story