Categories > Original > Fantasy > Chronic Earth: The Tale Of Seasons

Chapter 2: Let The Test Begin

by CETToS 0 reviews

This Chapter, our heroes set out to the Valley, which [apparently] has been altered into a huge training area! Let's see what happens..

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Fantasy,Humor,Sci-fi - Published: 2008-03-15 - Updated: 2008-03-16 - 2701 words

0Unrated
As the sun rose up, the light crept through the window, and slowly over everybody’s faces as they began to shield themselves. It was around 6:00am right now, and everybody had felt refreshed, and pretty good. Better than yesterday that is. But today, was going to be a little bit harder, than yesterday.
Kindle woke up, and immediately ran to her kitchen, put on her dark red apron, and started digging through her cabinets and fridge, looking for something to prepare for breakfast. This time she had a bigger crowd than just Winter, she had 3 more guests. While she started to cook, everyone else started to rise from their slumber in the bedroom. They all got dressed into their usual clothes, which were now clean thanks to Kindle, and headed out into the living room to relax.
"How does everyone like their eggs!" Kindle yelled through the kitchen door leading to the living room.
"Uhhm, I like mine actually cooked! How about you?" said Summer giggling at his joke.
"Haha, really funny Summer.. But really, how you want them? I have jelly I could mix them with if you'd like," said Kindle.
"Yea! Thanks Kindle, sounds great," he replied, this time rubbing his belly. Obviously he couldn't wait for those eggs!
"The rest of us want scrambled as well, just with no jam. Thank you," said Autumn.
"All right, and you're welcome!" said Kindle with a smile on her face, as she headed back to her kitchen to prepare the food requested.
"What in the world is all the yelling about! It's barely even sunrise!" grumbled Winter as he came out of the bedroom, rubbing his eyes.
"We're just getting something to eat. Calm down there Ice-man," said Spring, in a loving fashion.
"I don't need to hear crap in the morning! Ugh.." said Winter as he plopped himself on a chair, and curled up in a ball. He then found a blanket, and covered his face only.
"Out of all the people I know [which is a lot] you're the only one that hates waking up. Why is that?" said Autumn kind of disappointed in Winter.
"Just.. Shut up.. Okay?" Winter replied, as he turned the other direction, still with the blanket on his head.
"Okay.. Suit you.." said Autumn backing off.
"I will suit myself, if you don't mind.." Winter whispered to himself.
"Winter! Do you want any eggs.." Kindle was interrupted by Autumn signaling a 'no go'. He wasn't in the best of moods anyways.
"Winter, just take deep breaths, and relax.. Now.. just tell me what kind of eggs you want, and I'll be on my way. You need some fuel to make yourself happy, and not cranky,"
"Fine! Scrambled damn eggs!" screamed Winter, still under the blankets.
"Yeesh.." said Summer as Kindle nodded and walked back to the kitchen.

In a matter of minutes, the eggs were perfected, dished out to all the seasons, and Kindle herself. As they sat in the living room, they all just sat there happily eating their food. The dish consisted of eggs, bacon, hash browns, and even fresh squeezed Orange Juice from a tree in Kindles backyard. Something was wrong though [not with the breakfast]. Winter was eating it.. but under that blanket he had earlier. He still hadn't gotten out of a crappy mood. After they all got finished eating, Kindle took all of their dishes into the kitchen, and began washing them.
"You know.. You should really stop getting mad at her.. and everybody else. We are just here to help," said Spring.
"Yea yea.. I know, I'm just really not a morning person.. But.." said Winter as he started feeling sorry for Kindle. "But me and her, that's the only way I can get through to her!"
"No! A woman likes a man who can be themselves, and I know you can be yourself, without yelling at everyone like that constantly! That's not you!" replied Spring.
"Yea right, and make a fool out of myself? No thanks.." said Winter as he got even more fed up with this conversation.
"But.. ..She likes you!" whispered Spring.
"Her? Kindle.. likes me? ..her? Liking me?" said Winter as he pointed to the kitchen, and then to him through the small hole he had made in his blankets to see out.
"Yes! She told me that she likes you! She thinks you're a great guy,"

As Winter sat there with his blanket over his head, all the other seasons sat there patiently waiting for a reply. About five minutes passed, and Kindle came into the living room, drying her hands with a very wet towel.
"Everything all right in here without me? Seems awful quiet.." she said as she sat in a chair near Winter.
"Yep.. We are doing great! Thank you for washing all those dishes, and thank you most importantly for making us breakfast. It was great," said Summer.
"Aww, you're welcome. Is Winter still mad.." Kindle said as she looked over at him.
Winter had a big grin on, and immediately strung up off the chair, and ran off into his bedroom. The door slammed, and you could hear him muttering to himself about what to wear.
"Uhh.. Is he mad or not, because I saw him smiling.." said Kindle with confusion.
"Yea! He's doing well. He's not mad. He's actually quite happy now. You'll see," said Spring with a big grin on. Actually, all three seasons had big grins on. They all got up, and headed for the door. Today, was the time to do some seasonal workouts.
"Ok.. That was odd. What did I miss exactly," said Kindle to herself.
The door swung open, and Winter was then dresses into seasonal clothing. He now had a nice sweatshirt with icicle print on them, leading down from his neck. The color of the sweatshirt was a very light blue color, almost matching his hair. Winter had a very nice pair of jeans, and shoes to go along with his new sweatshirt.
"Like it? Tyme left it for me in my room, hanging in the closet. It's so comfortable!" said Winter, blissfully.
"Yea! I love it! I also love that you're in a good mood all of a sudden. What happened?!" Kindle said, this time she had a big grin on.
"I'm going to be happy more and more everyday. Get used to it, so I don't have to ask questions, mmk? Now let’s get going, we have some stuff to do," said Winter as he grabbed Kindles hand, and dragged her outside.

“Ok.. So what exactly do we do now? None of us know.. What.. To do..” said Summer as he sat on the grass in the front yard.
“Well, Tyme said he sent us directions Summer. Don’t you remember?” Autumn pointed out.
“Alright! Let’s get started! Tyme sent me instructions with my new clothes.. Apparently..” yelled Winter as he and Kindle exited their home.
“See, I told you Summer,” said Autumn, as Summer sat there dumbfounded.
“Well, what does it say? C’mon already!” said Spring while standing up, trying to peek at the letter.
“Ok, calm down.. Tyme’s letter says..

‘Dear Young Seasons and Young Elements,
Here I have written you about your warm-ups. You must do these everyday, with precision and accuracy to get yourself ready to do your part as a season. Here is a list of what you must each do to start the day:

-Winter, practice breathing ice, and snowing. You can now produce snow through your hands, due to that new uniform you have. It grants you powers, so you are able to use them whenever you like.
-Spring, practice producing flowers and trees. Also, practice controlling rain, where is goes, and if it will be a flash flood or not. Also control the clouds.
-Autumn, practice your wind rate and how fast it will go. Get used to changing leaves color, and blowing them off.

Good luck to all of you. May you all use your powers correctly, and practice mixing seasons together.

Now for the elements. The only element that I know of, that has joined the group, is Kindle Flame. So let’s start.

-Kindle, I want you to practice making forest fires, burning different objects for different results. I want you to start inventing some Fire Starters too. You’ll need them!
I wish you all could do great without fail, but without fail, improvement never occurs. I wish I could be there, but in order for you to get used to it, is for you to practice it by yourself, and other people like you. Right now, I am setting up time zones. The year schedule we made up, kind of messed things up, so I am fixing them.
Talk to you all soon,
Father Tyme---’ “
“Well.. Where exactly are we supposed to begin training?” asked Summer.
“Do you not remember a thing? Jeez.. Tyme said he built us a training site, somewhere with the name of ‘The Valley’.” Autumn said, very calmly and slowly.
“I know where that is! C’mon, let’s go right away!” Winter yelled, as he followed a separate path coming from his home that led off to a hill. The hill was covered in luscious green grass. Actually, at one time, there was no trail. It had become a dirt trail because people stepped in the same path so many times, the grass finally withered away, leaving dirt. The weather was just as usual. 75° F and semi-cloudy. That’s what the weather was everyday actually. Since the seasons were not applied to the whole Earth yet.. Earth only had one distinguished set temperature, wind rate, and a set time when it gets dark each day. Everyday, was exactly the same.

“C’mon! Hurry up already! It’s not that hard to walk up this hill!” yelled Winter as he was reaching the top.
“Is.. He joking.. This.. Is ridiculous!” huffed Spring.
“No it’s not! Haven’t you ever done this before?” said Summer, as he was almost near the top as well. “This is fun!”
“Actually.. I haven’t.. Ever.. Done this.. Before now,” said Spring as she slowed down drastically.
“I took a while to get used to for me too. Trust me.. This kid hikes us this everyday..” Kindle said as she helped Spring stay standing.
“Thanks! Kindle, you really are the best” said Spring.
“Oh, no problem!” Kindle replied.
“So.. Winter seriously does this everyday?” Spring questioned.
“Yea,” she replied. “He’s been doing that ever since he moved in with me..”
“When did he move in?” Spring asked as she hopped over a rock that was in her path up the hill.
“Well, I’d say at least five years ago was when he moved in, but seven years ago is when we met each other,” explained Kindle.
“How old are you and Winter?” Spring asked, still keeping up.
“I am thirteen years old, and Winter is fourteen years old. So we met just about when I was six, and when he was seven,” said Kindle, as she too, began to become a little tired.
“Wow. That was pretty long ago.. But, how did you meet?” Spring asked.
“Ok. Just letting you know, I’ve lived by myself ever since I could remember. So I used to have to hunt for myself, and collect firewood for myself. This one day, as I just got done collecting firewood that would last for about three weeks, a boy shows up on my lawn, and asks me if he could have some. Of course I said no, I mean I was working on that all day long..”
“Hurry up!” Someone yelled from the top of the hill. It sounded like Summer, but it couldn’t be distinguished.
“Hold on! Anyways.. I said no, and he walked away sort of sad, but why should I care? I was stocked on firewood for a long time. Later on that night, I went outside to retrieve some more wood because my home was freezing, and it was just about time to go to bed. It turns out, all of my wood had been stolen. I surely accused that boy from earlier that day, only because he said he wanted some of it. I ran back into my house, grabbed a jacket and some shoes, and ran into the forest looking for him. I finally found him just about thirty minutes later, and found him trying to ignite some of my wood. What was funny though, is that we was trying to make a fire, without him knowing that I was the only person able to create flames. Just to freak him out a bit, I pulled out one of my Fire Starters, and threw it at the stack of wood, and immediately, it burst into big, luminous flames. He just sat there shocked. I then told him, that if he brought my wood back to my house, that I wouldn’t torch him to a crisp, and serve him to the villagers, [but of course I wouldn’t, he was too cute.] I went back home, and fell to sleep because I was exhausted from all the work earlier that day. When I woke up, I saw that he had returned all my wood onto my lawn again, but this time something looked different about my lawn. His tent was set up right in the middle of it. He said he just wanted to stay somewhere, where the animals wouldn’t bother him. I agreed, and let him stay. I’d only see him a couple times a day, since he was out hunting for himself most of the time, but he got used to saying “Hello” to me, every time he saw me. Two years later, I finally asked him if he would like to take the spare room in my house, and he gladly accepted.”
“Wow. How sweet! That’s pretty interesting. I am glad it all worked out though,” said Spring with a smile.
“Mmhmm. Me too. ..Whoa!” said Kindle as she finally reached the top if the hill. Kindle has been to The Valley before, but before it was a training site. All she saw now, was a huge platform that covered the entire surface of The Valley. The platform held twenty different rooms, which all had different environments. The three of them could see Summer and Winter already inside of theirs practicing away. Autumn was sitting down on a rock near Spring and Kindle.
“Jeez, those boys tire me out! I ought to start hanging out around you two more often, before I get a heart attack!” said Autumn. The three of them laughed, and looked back down at the platform. Autumn then stood up, took a quick glance at Spring and Kindle, followed by..
“Here is The Beginning..”
“of Reality..” finished Spring.
“The Beginning of Earth,” finished Kindle. The three girls did a short giggle, linked arms, and started walking down the hill, towards the twenty roomed platform in The Valley.

“I really like what Tyme did to The Valley, don’t you Kindle?” said Winter as Kindle, Spring and Autumn approached.
“Yea! Much better that it used to be.. Just old grass.. How’s the training?” said Kindle with a smile on her face.
“It’s great! He set up a time limit, so that it lets you know when you have completed. It also lets us know how well we are doing. I got a score ‘good’ while Summer got a ‘great’.”
“What’s the best rank?“ asked Spring.
“They classify them as ‘seasonal’ for Seasons, and ‘elemental’ for Elements. First it’s; Improve, Ok, Better, Good, Great, Elemental/Seasonal.”
“Well then, you did a pretty good job there Winter, for your first time using yours powers I mean! You too Summer!” said Autumn.
“Thanks Autumn.. Now lets see what you girls can do!” replied Summer.
“Alright! Here we go..” announced Kindle, and the three of them ran to their specific testing rooms really excited to see how well they will do too.

Today, training had begun…
Sign up to rate and review this story