Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Return of the Boy Who Lived

Chapter Four

by red_jacobson 10 reviews

Classes Begin

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres:  - Published: 2008-04-06 - Updated: 2008-04-07 - 1493 words - Complete

5Original
The Return of the Boy Who Lived 4/?




Rating: Teen/PG-13




Summary: After the final battle, the Boy Who Lived is transported back into his 11 year old body, just prior to receiving his Hogwarts Letter. Sound like every re-do fic you've ever read? It is, except for one minor detail; the Boy Who Lived is named Neville Longbottom!




Disclaimer: Is this really necessary? I don't own any of the Harry Potter Characters or settings.




Pairings: None to start, come on; they're 11 years old! Will eventually be Neville/Ginny, and Harry/Hermione.




Authors Note: This is another plot bunny that has been biting on my toes, and hopefully I can get it out of the way and get moving on my other stories.




Credit Where Credit is Due Department: Readers will notice a couple of things in this chapter that look familiar, and, I have to say, I was inspired by Viridian's massive re-do story; Nightmares of Future Past; it's available on Fanficauthors.net; go read it if you haven't already!




Feedback: Of course, it helps me write faster.




Chapter 4




After The Feast




After the traditional announcements, Dumbledore had the prefects lead the new students to their houses, and the Gryffindor's found themselves following along behind Percy Weasley, who was, Neville noted, just as mind blowingly pompous as he was the first time around. The four of them soon found a place for themselves in the Common Room, and; although Ron tried to get one of them to play chess with him; the other three were busy reading and chatting amongst themselves. Eventually they started talking to the other members of their class, although Hermione appeared uncomfortable with the gossipy natures of the other two first year Gryffindor girls, Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown, while Harry and Neville got along fine with Dean Thomas, who like Harry and Hermione was raised in a Muggle environment. The other new Gryffindor was being beaten quite badly at chess by Ron Weasley, so they didn't have much to say to him.




The three of them agreed to meet for breakfast early the next morning; Ron declined, wanting to have a bit of a lie in the first morning, so they went up to get some sleep. Neville made sure he took the bed next to Harry in case something happened during the night. He remembered the nightmares well, and wanted to be able to help his friend if he could.




Sure enough, Neville hadn't been to sleep very long when he heard the pained cry from Harry's bed. Climbing out of bed, he put his hand on Harry's shoulder and Harry woke up sharply. “Are you okay, Harry? That sounded like anasty dream!” Neville asked quietly.




“Yeah, I'm okay now, but, that was bad, I kept seeing these snakes watching me, and saying how Ineeded to be in Slytherin, that I had to go and get re-sorted, Ididn't belong here. Which makes no sense, the only Slytherin's I've met are Bad Faith and his bookends, and I certainly don't belong with them! Besides, all my friends are in Gryffindor; so why should Iwant to change?”




“Hell if I know, besides, you belong here, you know that as well as I do. But, I have to ask, do you have nightmares like that often? With snakes and things like that?”

“Yeah, sometimes, why?”




“We'll talk about it more in the morning; but, you probably aren't aware of this, but Voldemort; his symbol was a serpent, and if he's still alive in some form, those dreams might be coming from him. Now, I know it's tough, but try to get some sleep, I have an idea that I'll tell you about in the morning”




Tough or not, Neville heard Harry softly snoring within a few minutes, and quickly calmed his mind enough to fall asleep himself.







The Next Morning




The three of them were the first ones down to breakfast, and as soon as they were seated, breakfast appeared in front of them. After Harry and Hermione had finished, Neville pulled out two copies of a battered old book from his book bag. “This book is about a mental discipline called Occulmency; Harry; it helps shield your mind from outside influences, and, as a benefit, helps you organize your thoughts better, so you can remember more information; and more easily. It's not easy, but it's very useful, and, honestly, makes the nightmares easier to deal with. I know from experience.” At their looks, he said, “I'll tell you about my parents another time, we don't have enough time right now.” Taking a deep breath; he released it, and turned to Hermione; “I made you a copy of the book, simply because Ican't imagine you not wanting to learn something new, even though Ijust met you yesterday.” She grinned in agreement, reaching for the book. “Now, while we are on the topic of learning something new, I've read that other muggleborn have had a problem at the beginning of school because they kept trying to answer all the professors questions, which didn't impress the professors, and, at the same time, caused resentment among their classmates. This is one of those things I was talking about yesterday, not knowing our customs, if the professor wants you to answer, he or she will call on you; because it's their job to see how everybody in the class is progressing; do you follow me?”




“I think so, but, what about participation grades? That was a big part of our final grades in school.”




“Your participation grade is how well you complete the assignment in the class; and; yes, it's a big part of your final grades here as well. Now, sometimes the professors will throw a question out to the whole class, in that case, it's okay to raise your hand and answer it if the professor calls on you. Now, speaking of classes, I see Professor McGonagall coming our way with our schedules, so we can see who we have the pleasure of spending time with this morning.”







The rest of the day went fairly smoothly, having Charms with Ravenclaw house, where Hermione managed to strike up a conversation with Parvati's sister Padma, and then atrip out to the Greenhouses for Herbology with the Hufflepuffs. It was in Herbology that Harry and Hermione found out just what having a'green thumb' really meant, as Neville seemed to have an almost preternatural affinity for the plants they were working on, and Professor Sprout came over and complimented him on his work, gaining Gryffindor 10 points for the class. Needless to say, this raised Neville's popularity with his house mates a good deal. Of course, Neville just accepted it with a smile, and didn't make a big deal out of it.

It was a good thing that Neville had gained them the 10 points, because Ron and Seamus managed to lose 5points in the same class for fooling around when they should have been working.




At dinner that night, Ron and Seamus were not very popular with their House mates, and Ron got even more grief from his brothers; not only from Percy the Prefect, which was expected, but from Fred and George, who were angry at him for getting caught, not for goofing around. They seemed to feel that he did damage to their reputation, and were not happy about it.




Ron went to Neville and the others, expecting them to sympathize but was disappointed, especially when Harry told him that fooling around was fine, outside of class, but in class they needed to pay attention, because the classes were only going to get harder, and more complicated. Needless to say, Ron wasn't very happy with anybody that night, and stomped off to bed and sulked.




Before heading up to bed, Neville said;“I don't know if it was something that you had to do in school, but, I'm going to start exercising in the morning; I'm tired of this flab on my body. You two are welcome to join me if you like.”




Hermione looked a bit skeptical about exercise, but when Neville explained that a stronger, healthier body meant a stronger, healthier magical core, and made for more powerful and skilled wizards and witches, she was convinced, and she and Harry agreed to meet even earlier the next morning to exercise before breakfast.







The Next Morning




It was three very tired 11 year olds who staggered down to breakfast after they got done exercising and cleaning up; but, Neville promised them it would get easier, so Harry and Hermione decided not to kill him yet. Although they were sore, the three of them noticed that they did feel better as the day went on, and even felt a bit more alert than usual in class. It turns out this was a very good thing, because the first class of the morning was Potions with Professor Snape and the Slytherins.







End Chapter 4




(ain't I a stinker! GRIN)
Sign up to rate and review this story