Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > As Of Yet, Untitled.

Impeccable Timing

by SaveTheDay 2 reviews

Things get slightly awkward, and then boredom sets in.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Gerard Way - Published: 2008-04-11 - Updated: 2008-04-11 - 1968 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 4

Impeccable Timing


Egan shuffled down the carpeted stairs to the basement level of the house. It really was a beautiful house, Gerard or whoever it was who had decorated it had done a good job. But it was a house, not a home. Too bad she couldn’t afford to get attached. There was no point, and it was all just too much trouble.

She scratched the back of her head, mussing her hair even more than it was before. She had slept on the floor in front of the stairs last night. It wasn’t comfortable by any means, but she hadn’t noticed. However, she would need to look into a bed to sleep in somewhere down here for tonight. And a bathroom to clean up in too. She yawned, and decided she had probably better start in on that now. Her breath was not at its best.

She shuffled down the main hall, the one you walked into right when you stepped off the stairs. There were doors leading to various rooms on either side of her. At the very end of the hall was a set of ebony double doors. They looked like barriers, keeping anyone from knowing what was going on inside. It was too much for her.

She swiftly made her way to the doors and twisted the handle of the right one, not even thinking of entering cautiously, respectfully. With Egan, things always had to be done quickly, now, hard and fast. There was no waiting. When an idea or want or thought entered into her head, she acted upon it, no questions asked. She pushed forward on the door and was met with no resistance, not even a squeak of hinges. Either the room was well used, or the door was new. While the house had the air of a newer one-it still had a lawn that resembled something genetically engineered, it was so green-she somehow didn’t think it was so quiet because of lack of use. As she stepped into the room, she felt her suspicions confirmed. She could tell from the feel of the space, the way the air moved and how it smelled, that someone came down here regularly. It was dark, so all she could see were silhouettes illuminated from the lights in the hall, and her hands fumbled along the edges of the walls near the doorframe. A few seconds and…click. She inhaled softly and took another step into the room.

It was a bedroom. A magnificent, spacious bedroom, with a bed that had to be larger than king, if that was possible, occupying a portion of the space near a wall that was made of windows. Huh. She could have sworn it was mirrors, not windows, that made up the wall. The glass had an odd shine to it though, almost as if it weren’t glass but something different. She flipped the light off again. Yes, the wall was a mirror now. Trick glass? Interesting touch. That meant no one on the outside could see in. Wait, how could she even see outside? She was below ground. Apparently the basement was built into the side of a hill or some such thing; only part was surrounded by earth. The wall of windows only held her attention for a moment though, before she was back to looking at the bed. Really, it was ridiculously large. At least two Egan’s could have lain in a starfish position side by side and not touched and remained completely on the bed. It looked heavenly. In fact, it looked so tempting that Egan walked over and flung herself down on the coverlet, which was blue like the Indian Ocean. Oh God. It felt as good as it looked. After the carpeted but still damn hard wooden flooring of last night, this was paradise. She rolled onto her back and scooched backwards up to the headboard, laying her head on one of the soft azure pillows. She ran her fingers over the scarlet sheets-such a lovely contrast-wondering how much cotton this soft must cost. The bed was so comfortable and the bedclothes were so soft that she drifted into that dreamlike state in which you are almost asleep, but completely aware of everything around you. She remained this way for more than an hour before rousing herself and looking around further.

She gently placed the balls of her feet on the amber colored wood flooring and rolled her toes around, reveling in the glossy veneer. It was so shiny she could see a faint reflection in it. She looked for the first time at the wall across from the bed and gasped. Staring back at her shocked face and dangling jaw was a broken, rippled image of herself. A mosaic of sorts had been constructed out of bits of broken mirror and colored glass. It looked like the ocean, and it was breath-taking. She felt no need to tear her gaze away, and so her eyes never left the shimmering wall until Gerard walked up right behind her and spoke.

“My fiancée loved blue.”

She stood quickly, jumpy at the sudden intrusion and annoyed with being caught. It was embarrassing. She had lived on the streets for years; thieving had been how she kept herself alive. What was she if she wasn’t good at it too? And yet he had snuck up on her. She faced him and planted thin fingers on bony hips.

“Well I love black.” The way she said it made it sound like a challenge.

“Black and blue, like bruises on my soul…” Gerard mumbled. Egan watched him hum to himself until he looked up again. Catching sight of her attempts to spear him with invisible lasers she apparently thought she could shoot out of her eyes, he blushed-only a little-but with his lack of pigmentation, it was noticeable.

“A line for a song, maybe…” he trailed off. Egan looked him up and down once, the universal indication of sizing up an opponent. Then in a contrary voice she said” What is this room anyway?”

“A bedroom.” He answered back simply. “I thought it was obvious.”

“Whose?” she pushed, intent on keeping as cool as he was now.

“It was going to be ours, my fiancée’s and mine.”

“Why isn’t it on the main level, or upstairs? Putting it down here was…unconventional.” she finished lamely.

“Because it was unexpected. She preferred to live unexpectedly.”

A long pause ensued, with both Gerard and Egan looking anywhere but at the other. When their eyes met in the reflection of the mosaic, however, Gerard blushed again and cleared his throat softly. “It’s yours if you want it. I sleep upstairs now, on the second floor, so the whole lower level is yours for privacy.” He looked around the beautiful room, and not a shred of the beauty was displayed on his face. He looked as if he held something bitter in the back of his mouth.

“It was never really to my taste anyway. I prefer black as well.” he said, and walked quietly out.

~*~

From that day on Egan slept in the room that had been intended for the future Way couple. She did it to spite Gerard. She didn’t know why, he was always polite and cordial when interacting with her, never anything less than a gentleman. But he was so detached. And she was almost constantly angry.

Life recovering from an addiction was no picnic. But for some reason, Egan found herself getting annoyed at the most seemingly mild things. A bird singing outside the kitchen window in the morning was enough to set her in a dark mood for the rest of the day. And Gerard, in a cool, quiet manner would ask her something perfectly acceptable, such as “Would you pass the milk, please?” and she would scowl, pour herself some more milk (Regardless of whether it was needed) and then put the jug down in front of him a good two feet away, making sure to slam it as hard as she could. She was a walking pain in the ass, a real bitch, and she knew it. But she was just so mad.

She didn’t even know why. She had the opportunity to correct every screw up she’d ever made. Hell, she had the opportunity to correct every screw up she’d ever made in a mansion! Life was easy here, no one asked anything of her, everything was paid for, Gerard had already let her know more than once that he would be happy to supply her with anything she wanted…It just wasn’t enough. She was stagnating in this opulent cage. They never left, either one of them. And she and Gerard were the only two people in the entire house. It had three fucking floors plus a basement. What good were all the rooms if there was no one to fill them? She was bored and lonely and was getting the worst case of cabin fever in all of history, she was sure of it. Of course, it was best for her if she lay low for now. Out and about, there were way too many temptations she might encounter. But honestly, it was ridiculous! The groceries were delivered! Right to the fucking front door every Saturday! He had a subscription to NetFlix, which he had informed her she was free to use and abuse, and those were delivered to the door too. They couldn’t even go out to Block Buster to get a movie! Besides, he looked like the kind of guy who would be a movie geek. Why not just buy the movies? Heaven knew he had money enough. But no, that was impossible, that would require leaving the sanctity of the house! GASP! She had found the bathroom of the almost-Ways to be stocked with every manner of toiletries she could ever need. There were even-ahem-personal feminine items. God, how she was going to look him in the eye and not blush after finding them, she didn’t know. She had pulled it off somehow though, but only long enough to glare ferociously or give him one of her best blank looks. Bottom line: She was going to suffocate if something didn’t occur to break the monotony of the still atmosphere. She needed something to do. Someone to have a conversation with, or something. Anything would be fine.

As if called, Gerard entered the hallway where Egan had been sitting, having out her little rant inside her head. It was the same hallway she’d slept in the first night. She liked this hallway; at the base of the stairs was a good place to sit and think. Of course, the very fact that she had a thing for a hallway and that she had formed such a deep attachment proved she should have been let out long ago.

“Egan, I think we should talk, if you don’t mind.” The way he said it made it seem as though he would insist in talking even if she did mind. How annoying. But she had to hand it to him: He had impeccable timing.

Author's Note: Alright y'all, I HATE authors who do this, buuuut.....I WANT reviews! And I am just saying, the less people review, the less I am encouraged to write. Plus, I would love to hear ideas about what YOU, the reader, want to happen! Seriously, I'll consider just about anything. I believe FanFics can get pretty out there and still be okay, because they're Fan Fiction, and they're meant to be slightly unbelievable and fantastic and dream-like. So, type away my little darlings!
Sign up to rate and review this story