Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Heart of the Warrior Book VII

Chapter 03: Wounds of Defeat

by madnesspersonified 0 reviews

The seventh and final book in the series. Old enemies, new enemies, and a dangerous force that puts all of humanity in peril. On top of that, the most dangerous enemy of Harry may be himself. Cross...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Crossover,Drama,Sci-fi - Characters: Dumbledore,Ginny,Harry,Lily,Voldemort - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2008-04-24 - Updated: 2008-04-24 - 5269 words

-1TrainWreck
Chapter Three: Wounds of Defeat

A feeling of triumph spread throughout the being of Lord Voldemort, as he gazed into the depths of the Hogwarts lake, the final resting place of the Boy-Who-Lived. As the seconds ticked by, he spotted his Death Eaters lean forward, watching on the off chance that Potter might pull some frustratingly amazing escape from certain doom as he had in the past. As a bit more time passed, the lake remained still, with no signs that Harry Potter was coming up, as some of the more vicious Death Eaters looked excited, as Potter had died a slow and painful death by drowning, rather than the quick execution and merciful the Killing Curse offered.

“My friends let it be known that this is the final resting place of Harry Potter, let his crypt at the bottom of the lake serve as a reminder of those who may foolishly wish to go up against Lord Voldemort,” concluded Voldemort softly. “The Boy-Who-Lived lives no longer and the last one who may have the power to oppose us has now been eradicated from existence. Wizarding Britain and in time, the entire magical world will be under the power of those worthy to rule it.”

Cheers went up from the Death Eaters, as Voldemort paused, awaiting the noise to die down before he continued to address them.

“Report inside the castle to assist the Ministry with any situations that may occur, I intend to broadcast word to the entire Wizarding World of the defeat of their fabled hero,” ordered Voldemort and the army of Death Eaters made their way outside, filing into Hogwarts, one by one, all a buzz after the glorious victories their master had achieved today.

With his Death Eaters inside, Voldemort stepped towards the lake, with the pieces of Potter’s wand in his hand and the Portus-Amulet snapped around his neck, both as a token of his glorious victory.

“Potter, it’s a shame you had to defy me, you had potential but in death, you will serve as the greatest example of the fact that no one could dare touch Lord Voldemort, no matter how talented they may be,” said Voldemort. “Farewell old enemy, we shall not meet again but I wish you luck on the other side.”

Without another word, Voldemort walked off to give his address, a victory speech of sorts over the Wizarding Wireless. He may have been set back sixteen years, but in the end Lord Voldemort triumphed over all who stood in his way.

Back in New York, at the Potter Residence it was a bit of a chaotic environment. Putting approximately one hundred individuals inside an average size house was not exactly the best idea and several individuals seemed shaken up, for good reason. Many of them had family and friends who were now at the mercy of Lord Voldemort, there was simply no time to evacuate an entire country of witches and wizards, and that was not even counting the Muggles that were left behind. Voldemort’s coup on the Ministry of Magic had been so swift and well played.

Ginny sat in the back, removed slightly from everything, the two way mirror in her hand, debating over and over in her mind whether or not to contact Harry. While there was no way to contact her family to see if they were okay, Ginny could in fact contact Harry. The mirror was in her hand, but something was holding Ginny back. She could not bring herself to do so, to confirm the feeling of dread that she had. Almost selflessly, she had counted on Harry to reassure her that everything would work out, mostly because Ginny’s own attempts to reassure herself had been in vain.

“Harry hasn’t gotten back yet?” asked Hermione as she walked into the room and Ginny shook her head. “Harry’s been in these situations before, he’s always gotten out at the last minute.”

“I guess so Hermione,” replied Ginny slowly. “Besides, he does have the Portus-Amulet, the one thing that might be able to get around anything that Voldemort does to him and he did promise me that he would get out before it was too late. Harry’s never let me down before but…”

“Harry’s definition of getting in way over his head and everyone else’s are two different things,” continued Hermione and Ginny nodded. “I don’t really know what Harry can do, I mean, without all of the Horcruxes, there is no way he could beat Voldemort. I suppose he could do something to deal one final blow that rattles Voldemort before he gets away.”

“Yes, that would be it but he should have really gotten back by now,” said Ginny in a worried voice, as she looked at the mirror.

“I think you should attempt to contact him Ginny,” replied Hermione seriously and Ginny sighed deeply, before she lifted up the mirror.

“Harry, Harry, are you okay?” asked Ginny but the mirror remained black. “Harry, please answer me, please be okay, are you there Harry? HARRY THIS IS GINNY, PLEASE ANSWER IF YOU CAN HEAR ME!”

Nothing but pitch black for a minute but Ginny’s heart leapt as the mirror slowly came to life. She thought for a second she would see Harry’s face to reassure her but on the mirror appeared nothing but water, Ginny looked on with wide eyes, the most horrid possibilities floating in her head.

“He’s still alive,” muttered Ginny as she rushed off to find Lily, with Hermione following behind, a bit confused at her friend’s mutterings. “Barely, but he would not have been able to activate the mirror if he was… but he’s in trouble and trapped, we need to get him out of wherever he’s trapped.”

Lily turned to Alexandra, who had arrived from the American Wizarding Government Headquarters

“We’re as far away removed from this as possible and there’s even an uproar among the people here,” remarked Alexandra. “His attack came so soon, yesterday Voldemort was nothing but just a dark wizard, who had a thirst for power and now, he’s basically the overlord of all of Wizarding Britain. Thankfully, plans have been made to keep any Death Eaters out of the country, at least in the meantime.”

Alexandra sighed in frustration. The foreseeable future was not going to be a good one.

“We first need to figure out what to do with all of our new guests, as sending them back to Britain as obviously out of the question,” continued Alexandra. “I don’t doubt that Voldemort would have individuals who are leaving and entering the country magically monitored and…”

The Wizarding Wireless channel tuned into the frequency of Ministry of Magic channel in Britain had come to life and the voice of Lord Voldemort could be heard by all.

“Wizarding Britain is now under the control of those who are worthy,” said Voldemort shortly. “Lord Voldemort knows that many have fled rather than foolishly take up the fight that cannot be won. No matter where you had gone to, it matters little to me, you are insignificant as far as I am concerned, as those who may have been in the power to stop me have fallen. Gringotts folded, the goblins surrendering control of all of the gold to Lord Voldemort in exchange for the right to carry a wand, all of my followers have been broken out of Azkaban, and I am now effectively in charge of the Ministry of Magic. But, that pales in comparison to the crowning achievement, the ultimate triumph of today, as the only wizard who is willing and able to call my bluff has been eliminated from the equation.”

Lily took a deep breath, the worst appeared to have come to past and many others in the room had similar horrified looks as Voldemort paused on the other end of the wireless, before deciding to confirm the thoughts that many individuals had on the other end.

“Harry Potter has failed,” said Voldemort in a chilling tone of voice. “There is no one left who can oppose me and let this serve as a warning to all who might try. The consequences for defying Lord Voldemort will be most deadly. Now, with the end of the old era gone, a brave new world will come to pass under the power of Lord Voldemort. This goes as a warning to any of the other magical leaders in other countries who may listen to this broadcast, as long as you choose not to interfere in my affairs, your country will be spared from my wrath. Farewell.”

Voldemort’s voice faded from the wireless, as everyone muttered in silence.

“No!” yelled Raph as the Turtles and Master Splinter had checked in to see an update.

“Voldemort has to be lying,” said Mikey hopefully. “Harry can’t be…”

“It does look bad,” admitted Leo darkly, as he looked around. “Harry hasn’t shown up, last we’ve heard, he was fighting Voldemort, but ever since then he’s kind of have dropped off, it doesn’t look too good.”

“Yes, the assessment is grim,” admitted Master Splinter as he also looked around, worried about the fate of his youngest son. “But, it’s not over yet, always in the darkest day there is always light, a bit of hope, no matter how minuscule.”

“Exactly how can we find hope in this?” demanded Raph in a frustrated voice. “Unless Voldemort was mistaken but I doubt…”

At that moment, Ginny made her way into the picture, holding the mirror stiffly, afraid if it moved, she would lose her lifeline to Harry.

“Ginny, Harry’s…” stated Leo from the other end of the room but he did not have an opportunity to complete his sentence.

“Still alive, barely,” said Ginny in a frantic voice and they looked at her with shocked expressions that slowly turned hopeful, but Ginny waved off their attempts to ask questions. “No time to explain, need to find Lily…”

“I’m right here Ginny,” said Lily as she hurried over. “You say Harry’s alive, but how?”

“I don’t know but his mirror would not have activated if he hadn’t been,” answered Ginny quickly as she handed it over to Lily, who looked it over, before she quickly made her way past the sea of insanity that was currently in the Potter residence, to the attic where the transmat was located.

“The signal is very faint, but if I can only trace the coordinates, I think I’ll be able to bring Harry back no problem,” said Lily quickly, as she waved her wand over the mirror, in an attempt to get a lock on Harry and after a few extremely tense seconds, Lily managed to trace where Harry was located and rushed over to the transmat, before she punched in the coordinates, locking onto an organic object at the exact location, that had to be Harry. Quickly, she pressed the button, activating the transport device. It was a one in a million shot that she would get Harry, but right now, those sounded like pretty good odds when compared to the grisly alternative.

Seconds later, Harry appeared on the platform, battered and beaten with his clothes ripped to shreds, along with a large scar from where Voldemort had sliced him on the chest with the score. His body gave an involuntary shudder as he laid on the transmat.

“Still alive,” said Lily in relief as she looked at Harry’s barley conscious form. “Barely, he needs to be moved to a quiet area where he can be healed and get some rest, but he’ll pull through. A few more seconds and…”

Lily left those words hanging and Ginny had no need for her to finish. She bent down, and spotted that the Portus-Amulet that normally was around Harry’s neck was missing.

“If I didn’t call him on the mirror, there was no way he could have escaped,” muttered Ginny weakly as she watched Lily gently move Harry to the next room. So many times Harry had come close to dying recently, Ginny had watched it and it pained her to see Harry put himself in these situations. She admired Harry for doing so, when no one else did but at the same time it scared her to death the lengths that Harry was willing to protect those he cared about. The part that actually angered Ginny was that no matter what Harry did, his best efforts had been in vain, especially considering how easily Voldemort took control of the Ministry. There were many worthy of protecting but so many more that caused Ginny to briefly wonder if the majority of Wizarding Britain deserved Voldemort. Deep down, Ginny admitted that no one, no matter how corrupt, deserved to be ruled by a mad man, but the fact that only those individuals who were trying to make the world better were paying for the sins of the Wizarding World.

“Ginny are you okay?” asked Luna who had entered the room at the moment.

“No,” replied Ginny. “Harry’s said that the only reason that he even bothers fighting Voldemort is because it’s the right thing to do but is it the right thing for him to do?”

“That’s a question that I don’t think I can answer Ginny,” said Luna seriously.

“Daphne and Theodore were killed just for being in the wrong place at the wrong time,” added Ginny in a dismal voice. “Harry nearly died today because he cares too much, he doesn’t want to see people hurt. I don’t either but at the same time, is Voldemort responsible for the current state of the Wizarding World or is the current state of the Wizarding World responsible for Voldemort?”

“More deep questions, further beyond what I can answer, it is like the age old Muggle riddle about the chicken or the egg” answered Luna calmly. “Life has proven beyond all else that it’s simply not fair. Harry has no obligation to face off against Voldemort, none of us do. We chose to and perhaps that choice is more deadly now that Voldemort is essentially Wizarding Britain. He’s come out of the shadows, now he has no reason to hold back.”

“If only someone had stopped him before he gained so much power,” concluded Ginny bitterly as she thought back, surely the warning signs were there, but Tom had always been manipulative, he had always charmed others to follow his ideals and those who were in the power to call his bluff chose not to, for their own reasons.

“We can never go back,” said Luna sadly. “The price is too great, we can only hope that our friends and our family that are still trapped in that nightmare can find an escape from it all and perhaps someone rises up to challenge him once again.”

“Harry,” replied Ginny who looked absolutely terrified of the possibility that Harry would try again to face him again but no matter what, Ginny would do everything in her power to help Harry, even if it appeared to be hopeless, especially when the final two Horcruxes have not been even close to being located.

“Physical wounds heal easily, mental trauma is everlasting,” commented Luna mysteriously. “In time the answer to who can stand up to Voldemort will be found. Eventually someone will expend enough effort to bring him down.”

“I hope so, Luna,” replied Ginny, whose mind was on everything that had happened recently. Dark days were ahead on the other side of the world and Voldemort had effectively won a major battle in the war, and perhaps even basically won the entire war.

Back at Hogwarts, all the students who were not evacuated, along with the teachers, were ushered back into the Great Hall, an infinite number of Death Eaters and Voldemort controlled Ministry Aurors arrived. The teachers no doubt feared retribution from their attempts to keep the school away from the hands of the Dark Lord but were adamant that they had done the right thing. Even saving lives of a few was a noble endeavor, even if they did lose the best chance they’ve had of ending this menace when Harry Potter was killed.

“All rise for the Dark Lord!” called Dolohov as Voldemort entered the Great Hall, robes, billowing behind them as the all the students and teachers, paralyzed with fear, watched as Voldemort entered the Great Hall. The Dark Lord’s mere presence made the atmosphere rather chilling as he stepped behind the head table, before he looked off into the distance at the population at Hogwarts, the red slits that were his eyes fixed upon everyone.

“Students and faculty at, welcome to another year at Hogwarts,” declared Voldemort softly.

“There will be many changes that will affect the curriculum of this school. Namely, the class Muggle Studies will be revamped. In time, you will be educated in all the ways that Muggles are inferior to us and all attempts over the years to attempt to stop us, in vain, but their efforts were quite bred from ignorance. That class has a small staff change as it will now be taught by one of my most faithful followers, Bellatrix Lestrange. I can assure you she’ll be more than able to educate you about what Muggles truly are.”

The masked form of Bellatrix looked out, as she acknowledged the students, who for the most part seemed too terrified to move, with a full pureblood supremacists clapping at this staff change.

“Secondly the subject of Divination is stricken from the curriculum, as it is obvious that your future will be under the rule of Lord Voldemort and there is no need to waste time and resources on such a pointless endeavor,” continued Voldemort. “All of the other subjects except for one more will remain as is, but will be replaced by able candidates loyal to me. Yes, Lord Voldemort knows that you teachers aided in an escape and as a result, you will be taken to Azkaban and imprisoned for the rest of your miserable lives for your treasonous actions. Aurors, do your job.”

“You heard the Dark Lord,” replied Thicknesse, as a group of Aurors moved over, placing their wands on the teachers. “I suggest you come along quietly, and there will be no need for violence.”

The teachers obviously didn’t want to go, but a fire fight would risk the lives of countless innocents, so reluctantly, they rose to their feet, McGonagall looking especially angered, narrowing her eyes at some of the Aurors, who looked extremely uncomfortable, but a slow nod by Voldemort accompanied by a dangerous glare encouraged them to pick up the pace.

“Come, move it now,” prodded the Auror as he escorted the teachers from Hogwarts.

“Finally, comes the matter of Defense Against the Dark Arts,” concluded Voldemort. “The Dark Arts part fits in well, but the defense part has got to go. Therefore, you will learn how to fully utilize the dark arts. I expect many of you to be squeamish but in time, you will have the imagination to appreciate what I teach you. Muggle test subjects will be brought in as these skills cannot flourish without practical experience. Naturally, I would entrust teaching the members of this brand new Wizarding World the most crucial skills they need to put Muggles in their place than myself. In class, you will all refer to me as master or my lord, or suffer my displeasure.”

Many within the Great Hall were longing of the happy days of Umbridge as their teacher with the announcement that Voldemort would be the brand new Defense Against the Dark Arts or rather, the Dark Arts teacher, this year and most likely for many more at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

“Classes will commence in a couple of days, as all students who have been pulled out by their parents this year will be forced to return, as attendance for this year will be mandatory and you will also be required to spend three hundred and sixty five days inside this castle for the seven years required, although I will be merciful enough to allow your relations to visit on select weekends and holidays,” added Voldemort with a twisted smirk. “One further thing, as you eat the feast that has been prepared, all Mudbloods are to remain in the Great Hall after the meal and to anyone of unworthy blood who might attempt to pass themselves off as something they are not by escaping, I shall find out. The consequences when I do will be most severe, I can assure you.”

Several muggleborn students looked petrified at this proclamation by Voldemort, as food appeared on the table. Many of them wondered if this would their last meal. Time seemed to move in slow motion, as no one seemed to have the nerve to talk, a complete atmosphere of fear paralyzed the entire Great Hall.

“All who are acceptable are dismissed to return to your Common Rooms,” replied Voldemort softly and all the non-muggleborn students got up, walking off, most pitying what the muggleborns had to go through, but they realized that to attempt to go up against Voldemort in an entire Hall full of Death Eaters would be extremely foolish.

Voldemort turned, staring at the remaining students with a cold glare.

“So, you’ve dared to befoul our hallways by coming here, Mudbloods,” said Voldemort in a chilling voice.

“The only one who is befouling this place is you,” piped up a third year girl and Voldemort stared at her.

“Child, you have no idea what you are speaking of,” replied Voldemort. “Let it be known I killed Harry Potter…”

“Harry was a better wizard than you’ll ever be!” piped up another third year. “He doesn’t need a fake name to make people to notice him.”

A pair of Death Eaters grabbed the third year, pulling her up and forcing her to face Voldemort.

“Harry Potter is dead, he failed you all, some hero you have,” replied Voldemort calmly.

“Harry’s still alive in our hearts,” said a second year girl bravely. “He gave his life to protect Hogwarts, to save us all…”

“How touching,” hissed Voldemort. “Children flocking to their hero, like dimwitted sheep, it seems is if you would all like to meet up with Harry again.”

Voldemort nodded coldly and the Death Eaters, along with the remaining Aurors in the Great Hall rounded up the muggleborn students, disarming them when necessary, and removing them from Hogwarts to face their final fate.

Alexandra returned to the American Wizarding Government Headquarters where the head Auror, Richards, walked up to her.

“He’s taken over, I heard rumors that the International Confederation of Wizards is going to sanction Britain, cutting it off from the rest of the Wizarding World,” remarked Richards.

“It’s just as well, they should have stepped in years ago, but they want to wash their hands of Britain, pretending it doesn’t exist,” replied Alexandra. “We obviously can’t step in because of the principles this government was founded on centuries ago, unless Voldemort attacks us or does something that basically is a declaration of war against our entire country. Right now, the safety of the citizen of this country, both magical and Muggle are of utmost concerned. Prepare to restrict all magical transportation both inside and outside the country.”

“Of course Madam President Morgan,” replied Richards with a nod. “Will there be anything else?”

“Yes, we have had several new guests who managed to escape Hogwarts before it fell,” added Alexandra. “See what you can do to get them places to live, along with integrating the Aurors into your department whenever possible, getting them up to speed on our regulations.”

Richards nodded, before he walked off, his department would be working overtime for a few days, but it was all necessary to protect all the citizens of their country.

Ginny sat outside Harry’s room, legs crossed, as she stared up at the ceiling with an absent minded look. Harry would pull through but still Ginny wondered what would happen to everyone else who had been left behind at the mercy of Voldemort. The only two Weasleys that were known to escape were Ron and her, the others were still over in that doomed country.

“Ginny?” asked Hailey, breaking Ginny out of her thoughts, as she was joined by Neville, Ron, Luna, and Hermione. “Any progress with Harry.”

“No, he’s still out of it, but he’ll be fine,” replied Ginny calmly.

“That’s good,” remarked Hermione in relief. “Harry’s suffered worse come to think about it, but he’s never come closer…”

“So what do we do next?” asked Ron. “I mean, the others are still trapped over there, perhaps Harry can do something…”

“No,” replied Ginny shaking her head. “Do not pressure Harry into risking his life by going over there.”

“But don’t you want to get everyone out safely, Ginny?’ demanded Ron.

“Of course I do,” said Ginny shortly. “Still, with Voldemort having the entire Ministry of Magic in his back pocket, along with a large army of Death Eaters and various other dark creatures, going over there right at this moment when Voldemort’s on high alert for resistance would be suicidal.”

“Besides, Harry’s done enough, if he wants to go back eventually, fine, but we shouldn’t really pull his arm,” added Neville.

“Thanks Neville, that’s exactly what I was thinking,” replied Hailey. “He has no duty to anyone, the Ministry of Magic were the one’s who failed everyone, and while it’s sad that all those innocents will suffer…”

“Unfortunate, but perhaps everything will work out,” remarked Luna.

“How, would it all work out Luna?” asked Ron. “You-Know-Who has won and…”

“It’s not over, not yet, there will be someone who will be able to go up against Voldemort, eventually,” replied Luna. “Now is not the right time for someone to do so with everything’s that happened.”

“Everyone else has been moved down to the headquarters for the resistance group, in the meantime, until the American Wizarding Government can find them living quarters for the time being,” informed Hermione. “Sirius and Remus made it out in time, they’re downstairs, but other than that, we’re the only one’s who are still here.”

Ginny sat calmly and she heard a movement from inside Harry’s room, and she rose to her feet, a hopeful look etched on her face.

“What is it Ginny?” asked Luna.

“I think Harry might be awake, I’ll go in check, he might not want to many visitors, I suspect the others will want to be informed if he is, though,” replied Ginny quickly as she opened the door and moved into Harry’s room, looking hopefully, as Harry looked up at her, with a tired and weary look in his eyes.

“Hi Ginny,” said Harry weakly and Ginny rushed over to Harry.

“Harry, I’m so glad you’re awake,” replied Ginny, as she wrapped her arms around Harry, before she kissed him with Harry weakly, but happily returning the favor, before Ginny broke off from Harry. “Now, was it necessary to scare me half to death?”

“No, Ginny, I didn’t mean to, I tried to get away, but Voldemort was too quick,” explained Harry. “He removed the Portus-Amulet from my neck, just as I was about to escape, he trapped me in that crypt and tried to drown me. He wanted me to serve as an example to anyone who stood up against him, I never felt so helpless in my life, in a crypt without air for almost five minutes, no way to perform magic either as I was too weak to perform wandless magic and Voldemort had taken my wand but how in the name of Salazar Slytherin did you get me out of there?”

“The mirror Harry, Lily managed to trace the signal and set the transmat to remove you from the lake,” answered Ginny quickly. “Wait, how did you survive for five minutes without air?”

“I managed to slow my breath and heart rate, just enough to put myself in a temporary comatose state, extremely temporary, as it wouldn’t have worked for too long,” responded Harry. “Built in survival instincts, but if Mum hadn’t pulled me out, I would be done, no questions about it but I’m safe and alive.”

“Thankfully,” muttered Ginny in relief. “Harry, he’s won.”

“I know,” answered Harry in a grim, deflated voice.

“Only a handful of people managed to get out, there are still many others over there,” added Ginny. “Britain’s being cut off from the rest of the world and well, Harry, I’m scared for those who are left over there but at the same time, I don’t want you to think it’s your responsibility to get them out of there.”

“Ginny, you’re right, it’s not my responsibility,” replied Harry in a final voice. “It’s over, I’ve given Voldemort my best and it wasn’t enough. It’s a shame that not everyone got out in time and perhaps they will at some time, but it won’t be me.”

“So, Harry, it’s really over,” said Ginny, in a disbelieving voice, she was prepared to follow Harry whatever he did, and as much as she did not want Harry to risk his life to fight a futile battle against Voldemort, it was a bit shocking that Harry had thrown his hands up in the air in defeat. She had a mixture of emotions, relief that Harry was safe, despair at the fact that the rest of her family would not be able to get out, and anger that the Ministry of Magic had allowed this entire mess to escalate this far.

“Yes, Ginny, for the best, I’m not going to allow Voldemort to ruin my life,” answered Harry as he reached forward and grabbed Ginny’s hand. “The Ministry just stepped back and let him take control, I never thought I’d say this, but I give up, Voldemort can have that wretched country, but I do hope that the remaining decent people can get out before its too late.”

“Voldemort does think you’re dead, Harry,” muttered Ginny.

“Good, I’m not in a hurry to do anything that would discourage that notion,” said Harry. “I did my best, I failed, the end, its over, Ginny, you understand right?”

“Always Harry,” replied Ginny with a feeble smile, wondering what lasting effects this latest defeat against Voldemort would have on Harry. “I know I support you and you’ve got the full support of everyone else to do what you wish regarding Voldemort, prophecy be damned. If you change your mind, I’ll be by your side, my love.”

“I can’t see that ever happening, there’s no way I can beat Voldemort,” said Harry in a final tone, prepared to let it die. “Not unless I become like him.”

“Harry, you care too much about others to become anything like Voldemort,” whispered Ginny in a reassuring voice but Harry turned away, if only it was Voldemort that Harry feared turning into.
Sign up to rate and review this story