Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > The Lord of the Jewels

Very Strange Findings

by digdigil 0 reviews

Legolas and Lindaril have a discussion about her past.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Aragorn, Arwen, Bilbo, Frodo, Galadriel, Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-02-16 - Updated: 2006-02-16 - 1716 words

0Unrated
5
Very Strange Findings
From The Silmarillion: ( Hardcover edition illustrated by Ted Nasmith) P. 42: Of the Coming of the Elves: "Next came the Noldor, a name of wisdom, the people of Finwe. They are the Deep Elves, the friends of Aule, and they are renowned in song, for they fought and laboured long and grievously in the northern lands of old."

~~~

In the Great Hall of the White City of Minas Tirith, Lindaril finished singing her strange, unlovely song and stood uncertainly before the other guests. A silence filled the room as the end of the melancholy song still resonated in everyone's ears, and for a moment they could not let it go. No one spoke or moved for several minutes. Lindaril bowed her head. "I am sorry", she said. "I do not know what possessed me to sing that particularly unsettling song, except that I felt compelled to sing it as a warning or premonition, regardless of the consequences". She looked upset with a frown disturbing her lovely features and her eyes were downcast.

"Come, please join us", said Aragorn in a sympathetic tone, as he stood up rather shakily. Lindaril walked into the shadow, where the group was sitting. Some servants had put out the torches behind the group so that they could see Lindaril while she was singing, but she was not able to see them while the light was facing her.

"Lindaril of the North, please let me introduce two new companions who have joined us this evening. They are very old friends of mine. This is Master Gimli of Rohan".

"How do you do, madam", said Gimli, taking her extended hand and bowing deeply.

Aragorn continued. "And this is Legolas of Ithilorien, the forest realm of the elves of Gondor".

Legolas stood up to greet Lindaril, and as she looked up at him, she felt an instant attraction. "Hello", she whispered.

"I am very pleased to meet you", said Legolas. He was struck by her diminutiveness, and how very unusual that smallness was in an elf. She also gave him a very uneasy feeling, and it was not because of the strange song she had sung.

The group sat and drank more wine, and talked until well into the wee hours of the morning. No more reference was made to Lindaril's unsettling song. It had the effect on almost all of those who had heard it to wish for it to be forgotten. Finally, Gimli rose and said that he was tired and would take his leave. Several of the others did as well. Then Aragorn and Arwen got up and bade Legolas, Lindaril and the others good night, and told them to stay as long as they wished in the Hall. Eventually, Legolas and Lindaril found themselves alone in the spacious room.

"Please tell me", Legolas asked her. "Why did you sing that song? No elf has ever sung of Feanor and the jewels in these times, to my knowledge. It is felt that because of the evil times we have recently experienced that it is best to try to forget also about those evil times of the faraway past. There was a curse attached to those jewels".

"I know that", Lindaril replied. "I learned that song from people who were reluctant to pass it on, yet did so and most of the song has survived, although not in its entirety. I do not know the song in its complete form. It is said that it predicts the future and that what is to come is too terrible for folk to hear. It is rumored that it speaks of the end of the world".

"Well", said Legolas, letting out a long breath, "in these happier times, we do not worry about those ancient beliefs any more. That is why I asked why you chose to sing it. Did you not say that it was a warning? What sort of warning was intended?"

"I did indeed say so", she replied. "But I am feeling very tired now, and do not wish to discuss the matter further at the present time. Would you please walk with me down to my room?" She stood and held out her hand to Legolas. He took her tiny hand in his large one and walked with her out of the great hall.

Lindaril led Legolas down a corridor to her bedroom and invited him to go in with her. He was loath to enter at first, but she appeased him by offering him a seat next to the window, by which he could leave anytime he chose, and she told him that she felt the need to speak with him privately. This and the strange aura that surrounded her intrigued him enough that he entered her room against his better judgement.

"For you are one of my kindred elves, and I can see in your eyes that you are kind and have great understanding".

He took a seat hesitantly, and she gave him a goblet of water, which she poured out of a delicate glass decanter from her nightstand. She turned to face him, and noticed his look of discomfort. She realized that she was a stranger to him, and sought to make him feel more at ease.

"My Lord Legolas", she told him, "I have come many miles over many years to arrive finally, as I have, in Gondor, although it was not originally my destination. I know not the geography of the world. I was trying to find the Grey Havens, but somehow turned in the wrong direction. I have come through much peril but have managed to escape harm by way of much good fortune.

I have been so lonely that when I first arrived in the land of Rohan and came upon a person that I could talk to, I almost could not speak to her because I had all but forgotten how to talk. Can you understand what that was like?"

Legolas did not reply but sat and watched her wordlessly as she continued.

"During the years of the War, and preceding it, I knew something terrible was afoot, because of the stealth that I saw all around me as I traveled through Mirkwood and out to the plains and then through Fangorn Forest. I learned the names of the places in which I traveled much later, from the kind teaching of the Lady Eowyn. I somehow managed to remain hidden the entire time. I saw many orc patrols either in pursuit of troops of men and riders on horseback, or being pursued by them. I kept out of the way of everyone that I saw, because I did not know who was enemy and who was not. Eventually, I could sense that things had changed for the good. There were suddenly no more orcs, nor trolls, nor other fell creatures to be seen. I presumed that the War was then over. The few people that I saw were no longer hurrying to the next battle or trying to escape from one. I saw legions of elves streaming northwards, singing laments, and I knew that they were heading for the Grey Havens, and away from this world. The Grey Havens was the only place I had been aware of from the teaching of my parents when I was still a child and I wished to find it.

Then I finally came across a woman with two small children, to whom I felt I could trust to show myself and speak. She was making her way to a patch of berries in the woods where I was hiding. She carried a basket, and her children were jumping around merrily, filling it with fruit. I decided then to step into view, and ask her where I might find myself. As I have said before, my voice almost failed me as I could not remember my language for a moment. It had been a long time since I had spoken to anyone, and I was nervous also when I approached the woman".

"Then what happened?" Legolas asked, fascinated by her story.

"The woman explained that I had entered the country of Rohan and briefly described her people as being mostly rural folk, farmers and horse-breeders, and she offered me a place to sleep that night. However, I asked if the country had a king or queen, and she told me that the king lived in Edoras. She kindly told me how to find the Golden Hall, and that is how I met my good friend, Eowyn.

At this, Legolas raised an eyebrow, and set his chin upon his upraised hand. He shifted his weight and cleared his throat.

"To carry on, Eowyn and I hit it off immediately when I made known to her my story, such as it was. I have led such a lonely life that there wasn't much to tell, but I think that she felt sorry for me initially. This did not prevent Eowyn and I from becoming close. We are both very strong women, and felt immediately that there was a bond between us. I came to stay in Edoras on and off amid my travels all over this part of the world. I have only recently come to Minas Tirith".

"You have not told me the beginning of your story", said Legolas. "Where were you born, if I may ask?"

"In the far North. Forodwaith". Lindaril replied.

"Really? I did not know that any elves lived so far North" Legolas said with surprise.

"They don't". Lindaril said. "Would you like some more water, or perhaps wine?"

"No, nothing, thank you", said Legolas. "Of what division of elves are you? You do not look Sindarin, yet you are too small to be Noldorin. Are you one of the Avari?"

"I will tell you that some other time", she said. "For now, come, Legolas", she sat down on her bed and patted the sheets beside her. "Come and sit beside me. It is more comfortable here".

"Oh, no, no", Legolas stammered. "I cannot".

"Why not?" asked Lindaril coyly, kicking off her sandals and curling up on the bed. "Come here and I will sing to you some sweet songs", she smiled, "and then you shall do whatever I ask of you".
Sign up to rate and review this story