Categories > Books > Lord of the Rings > The Lord of the Jewels

Valinor

by digdigil 0 reviews

The hobbits are taken to the Isle of Este.

Category: Lord of the Rings - Rating: R - Genres: Action/Adventure, Drama, Fantasy - Characters: Aragorn, Arwen, Bilbo, Frodo, Galadriel, Gandalf, Gimli, Legolas - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2006-02-16 - Updated: 2006-02-16 - 1307 words

0Unrated
6
Valinor
The Silmarillion: P. 25: Of the Beginning of Days: "-- and Valinor became more beautiful even than Middle-earth in the Spring of Arda; and it was blessed, for the Deathless dwelt there, and there naught faded nor withered, neither was there any stain upon flower or leaf in that land, nor any corruption or sickness in anything that lived; for the very stones and waters were hallowed."

~~~

Gandalf, Bilbo, Frodo and Galadriel crossed over the Bay of Eldamar to the mainland. Elrond had told them that he would stay behind for awhile on Eressea, before making his way to Tirion, and from there to Mt. Taniquetil, to seek the audience of Manwe, the King of the Valar. He wished to apply to Manwe to seek the whereabouts of his parents and then he said he would go from there to find his wife, Celebrian, who had gone to the Grey Havens in the year 2510 of the Third Age.

The Undying Lands were commonly referred to as 'Valinor', although the real Valinor was but a part of the Lands that also contained Tol Eressea. The group of friends said their goodbyes to their kind hosts and new friends, Sindor and Sandor, and promised to visit them again. They bade Elrond farewell, and wished him good luck on his journey to reunite with his parents and his wife, and at this time the close group that had come from Middle-earth then separated.

The beauty of Eldamar was enchanting to Frodo as he walked amid its splendor. As on Tol Eressea, the lawns were formed of green grass whose blades were both straight and soft, providing a lush surface to walk upon. Trees and other plants were arranged in neat rows, which curved in lines, which were pleasing to the eyes. There were almost no straight lines to be seen anywhere, as the elves preferred using curves in everything from pathways and structures, to garden beds, and even certain buildings. Somehow, everything still seemed to be symmetrical and balanced, the curved lines notwithstanding.

The sun shone with a golden glow in the daytime, and when night fell it was sudden, as if a cloak were put in front of the sun and then was removed in the morning when it was time to awaken. There was no long sunrise or sunset as on Middle-earth. The skies were never overcast during the day, even when it rained, and at night one could look up and see all of the stars and the moon in its shimmering glory. Rain fell occasionally as a gentle showering of water, never lasting too long, and leaving afterward a feeling of clean freshness.

One was clearly left with the impression that this was truly a world created by the Gods for their own. The trees were mostly new and strange to Frodo, and bore names such as Yavannamire, which was a fragrant evergreen, and Galathilion, the image of Telperion, one of the Trees of Light of old. These trees were fashioned by Yavanna, who was one of the Valar, and who also fashioned Nimloth, a white tree, from which was derived the White Tree of Gondor. Many other beautiful trees and plants lined the pathways and structures, and grew all over the exceptionally exquisite lands of Valinor.

Gandalf dearly wished to take the hobbits on a tour of Alqualonde, the home of the great swans of Ulmo, the God of Waters. It was quite a sight, a city carved out of white marble with pearl embellishments. On its harbor there was a naturally arching gate, carved out of stone by the sea, through which the great swan ships of the Teleri elves passed. However, Gandalf knew that Frodo should be taken as quickly as possible to the Isle of Este in Lake Lorellin in order to receive care for his wounds, both his mortal and his emotional ones. Gandalf himself needed also to return to his home on Mt. Taniquetil, to be reunited with his master, Manwe, King of the Valar.

Gandalf knew that the final parting from Bilbo and Frodo would be extremely difficult. He gathered the hobbits and Galadriel together and told them that they would be making the journey from Eldamar to Lake Lorellin by horse-drawn wagon, as this would save their strength, and also be faster than walking the distance. In the Undying Lands, one did not need to measure distances or time, as time never ended, and people never died. However, in these lands, everything was very well organized, and it was felt that the semblance of passage of time should be honored for those who wished to remember it. Therefore, the days were always twelve hours long, as were the nights after the cloak of darkness had been drawn over the sun. One could then measure time if one so wished.

So it was then that Gandalf, the hobbits and Galadriel set out in a horse-drawn wagon for Lake Lorellin, in the southern region of the Lands. After a time they arrived and were welcomed by Este, the Vala of Healing, and her husband Irmo, the Master of Dreams, and their many elven friends who dwelt on and around the Isle of Este. Frodo gazed upon Este with awe. She was a majestic and serene lady, clothed all in soft grey, her hair of ashen brown. She wore a silver band set with opals around her head. From her eyes shone a magical pale blue light, which carried the powers of healing, and shone with the light of radiant love. When she spoke her voice was as soft as the sound of a harp being softly strummed. She had the power to heal all wounds. Wounds of the flesh were healed by the light shining from her eyes, and wounds of the mind by her soft voice. Together with her husband, Irmo, who could weave dreams of enchantment, the pains and sorrows of both Frodo and Bilbo would be cured. Galadriel, also, would be restored to her former, stronger self from the wraith-like being that she had become.

"We slowly have been coming to this time, my friends", said Gandalf to his dear Bilbo and Frodo. "Our parting has finally arrived. It should not be the last time we will see each other, however. This should not be a sad parting. I must return now to Manwe upon Mt. Taniquetil at the northern region of these Lands. It is a tall, white mountain peak, surrounded by white clouds which can hide it if they need to. For now, whenever you think of me, look to the mountain. You can see it if you look hard enough. I will be thinking of you always. Now I must take my leave, my friends". Gandalf got up to go, but Frodo and Bilbo ran to embrace him.

"Farewell, dear Gandalf", cried Frodo with tears running down his cheeks. "I will miss you so!"

"Dear friend Gandalf", cried Bilbo, hugging him tightly. "I will think often of the adventures that we shared".

The two hobbits watched Gandalf for a long time, as he rode on down the pathway to the north, looking back from time to time at them. After awhile, Este bade them follow her down a long, curving path that led to the edge of Lake Lorellin, where they boarded a small boat, and paddled to the Isle of Este in the middle of the lake, where they were taken into her house. That night they slept deeply, while Irmo wove magical dreams about them. They dreamt of home and their merry hobbit childhoods, and all their past lives were bathed in warm, golden light. When they awoke in the morning, much refreshed and feeling hale and hearty, they both decided that they would like to walk about and explore their new surroundings.
Sign up to rate and review this story