Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Give Em' Hell, Kid

First Day

by alyssainwonderland 6 reviews

AJ's first day as a senior in High School.

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2008-05-14 - Updated: 2008-05-14 - 1536 words

0Unrated
I woke up the next morning feeling sick to my stomach. That small fact alone made me worried. I had never been nervous for school before; Why start when I was almost done?

For some reason, looking good wasn’t high on my list of priorities as I dragged myself out of bed. It was normal for a girl to want to look pretty on her first day of school, especially a new school. But that wasn’t what I wanted. Hell, I could have thrown on sweat pants and a hoodie and walked to school. It’s not liked I cared.

And that’s what I intended on doing. I’d fallen asleep in my sweat pants (the huge, comfortable ones that used to belong to my father), and a tank top. I threw my long, unruly locks into a messy bun on the top of my head and pulled the nearest hoodie over it. Half of my clothes were still in storage, and I didn’t exactly have much of a hoodie selection.

I pushed the sleeves up to my elbows as I skipped down the carpeted stairs of my enormous new house. My socks slid on the linoleum tile as I entered the kitchen and searched through the boxes for a bowel. I hadn’t had my special k in two weeks now, and it was really starting to effect my daily breakfast routine.

“Are you feeling better, honey?” my mother asked from the stove. She was frying two eggs, probably for Alex, who sat fully dressed at the kitchen table awaiting his food. Jon-O wasn’t up yet; He didn’t start school for another two days.

“I guess.” I said, searching through the refrigerator for the gallon of milk that I knew we had somewhere in there. I tilted my head to the side, and saw my mother scrutinizing me out of the corner of my eye.

“You might want to hurry up and get dressed, AJ.” she said once I stood upright. “You only have twenty minutes before you have to leave for school.”

“I am ready, mom.” I said, moving from the fridge to the counter where my newly found bowl and the special k box was already sitting. I heard my mother’s sharp intake of breath from behind me. Not a good sign.

“You are not going to your first day of senior year at a new school in sweats, Audrey Jeanette.” she said, her voice full of motherly authority. I was glad that I had my back turned to her. That way, she couldn’t see me roll my eyes. “Go upstairs and change right now.”

I huffed like a daughter was expected to do when he mother ordered her to do something, and stomped up the stairs like a two year old. It was childish, I know, but I couldn’t think of a better reaction.

It took me fifteen minutes to get ready, leaving me five minutes for breakfast. I’d picked my favorite pair of tight jeans and a black-and-white striped shirt with quarter length sleeves, the kind that hung off your shoulders a bit, but not too much as to violate the dress code. I’d taken my hair out of the bun and fixed my curls so that they hung by my shoulders. I stuck my thick, black headband among the curls.

Once my eyes were lined in dark liner and my converse were on, I walked down the stairs. I knew I’d never have time to eat my breakfast, so I didn’t even try. My Newark High School track jacket hung on the railing of the stairs, and I grabbed it as I jumped off the last of them.

Alex was already by the door once I came downstairs. He looked exactly the same as he always had in his typical band shirt and tight, black jeans. Under his hair, I could see that his eyes looked amused as my mother walked over to, yet again, scrutinize me.

“Stripes extenuate curves, you know.” she said, tapping her index finger against her bottom lip thoughtfully. I fished the keys to my car out of the pocket of my track jacket as she spoke; I’d known something like that was coming.

“Goodbye, mother.” I said, and I was out the door before she could say anything else.

Alex was right behind me the whole way. “You didn’t have to do that, you know, AJ” he said thoughtfully as we made out way to the ocean blue Volvo we shared. “I could have found some way to sneak you out.”

I snorted with laughter. “I really don’t think there was much of a way to get me out of a second story window, Al.” I said, and he shrugged. He never thought anything through; That was just his way, and I was used to it. “Let’s go feed ourselves to the fancy sharks in Belleville.”

- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

By the time I pulled into the parking lot of Belleville High School, most of the spots were already taken. ‘These kids must be early risers’ I assumed.

All the seniors were scheduled to attend a small assembly in the auditorium, where they would assign us our home rooms by our last names. The juniors met in the cafeteria, and the sophomores met in the gymnasium. The freshman weren’t at school today; They’d come yesterday to get a day by themselves, a day to find their way around their new school. I wish I’d had a day to do that.

A heavy-set, balding man stood at the head of the auditorium, on the stage that I assumed was used for things like school plays. The chatter of my new classmates buzzed in my ears as I took a seat in the middle of the room, Alex to my left. Even then, I could feel the stares of others burning into the back of my neck, wondering who the hell we were.

After about five more minutes of people entering, the balding man cleared his throat, and most of the chatter stopped. He walked, slowly and steadily, to a podium in the right corner of the stage, where a microphone sat, faithfully waiting to be used. He picked it up with his pudgy fingers and brought it up to his mouth.

“Good morning, Seniors!” He said cheerfully, resulting in whistles and cheers from the people around me. I clapped my hands unenthusiastically.

“Well, you should all know the drill by now. I’ll call the teacher’s name first, then two names; The first person in the class, and the last. If your name falls between those two categories, follow the teacher.” He looked down at his list of names before he began calling them out.

“Ms. McKenney’s home room: Anguillo through Colette.” he announced. A good twenty or so students got up and followed a young teacher, not much older than us, by the looks of it, with dark brown hair and glasses.

“Mr. Burke’s home room: Cutillo through Eller. And that’s both Audrey and Alexander.” I let out a sigh of relief. My worst fear was that Alex and I wouldn’t be in any classes together; Not even home room. Now I knew that we got to spend at least some time together.

We both got up and made our way out of the row, following an older man with gray hair and a goatee. His room was up two flights of stairs and down a hallway, and he showed each of us where our lockers were. Unfortunately, I got the bottom of the two. Alex had all the luck.

We walked in to sit in our assigned home room seats after we stored our things in the locker. I went over the combination in my head over and over so I wouldn’t forget it, even though I knew I would. My thoughts were interrupted by a musical, female voice from my right.

“Are you new?” the voice said. I turned in the direction from which it came. The girl was petite, with charcoal black hair, brown eyes and skin that suggested she’d spent a lot of time tanning this summer. I nodded quickly.

“Yeah, we just moved here about a week ago.” I said quietly. I was surprised at my own shyness; I wasn’t usually like this.

The girl smiled encouragingly. “Oh!” she said. “Well, I’m Maria Edmonds, Student Body President.” She said, sticking out her hand for me to shake. I should have guessed. “If you need anything at all, finding a class or something, just let me know. I’ll be happy to help you out!” she squeaked.

I attempted to smile, but it turned out more like a grimace. This was going to be a LONG day.

A/N -- So, this is still kind of filler-ish, but I promise, the good stuff comes in the next chapter. (:
Keep the reviews coming; I love to hear what you guys have to say!
Sign up to rate and review this story