Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > Give Em' Hell, Kid

Freckle-Face and Square Glasses

by alyssainwonderland 3 reviews

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2008-05-15 - Updated: 2008-05-15 - 2025 words

1Ambiance
The rest of the day was pretty uneventful. It was a typical first day of school: The teachers would introduce themselves, tell you what you should expect in their course throughout the year. The only class that I really didn’t like at the moment was calculus, but who really enjoyed math, anyway?

There was one class that I was absolutely positive I would love: chorus. Taught by my home room teacher(who taught English every period save for the two that were scheduled for band and chorus), it was the class that I’d loved since I was little.

It was the only class on my schedule that had students from grades other than 12th in it. There were a select few freshman that the others in the class told me would join us, six or seven sophomores, and a bunch of juniors along with the seniors in that class of about thirty-or-so.

This was one of the classes that Alex wasn’t in with me. I’d always been the singer in the family; He was much more content playing an instrument. The piano was his thing, mostly; Sometimes the guitar. He was really good at it, too. It was just sad that we weren’t in class together.

Lunch was after chorus, and I couldn’t have asked for that to end up better, schedule wise. I scanned the cafeteria for my brother, sorting out the faces I’d seen in my classes from the ones that I hadn’t along the way. Maria Whatever from home room waved enthusiastically at me, and I waved my hand slightly in her direction, so I wasn’t being rude.

There was one boy I recognized from my English class, and one girl from Psychology. The boys name was Kyle, I believe. He looked like a Kyle. His hair was curly and brown, and he had a sort of childish look about him. He was tall and lanky, and he hadn’t spoken much in class.

The girl was cool. She was one of the few people from the crowds that surrounded me that I actually remembered by name; Her name was Rebecca. Becky, she’d said to the teacher, scolding her in a not-so-authoritative way to let her know that she hated being called by her full first name. Her hair was jet black and her eyes were bright blue, and a bright, silver ball glistened in the light from one of her nostrils. She’d been one of the only ones, besides the student body president, who felt comfortable enough to come up to me herself.

We were sitting next to each other in psychology, that much I remember. When the teacher had finished talking, she just turned to me. “Hey” she’d said. “I’m Becky.” She didn’t extend her hand for me to shake like most people did, and I was fine with that. It seemed kind of awkward to me, anyway.

“AJ.” I said.

“That’s a cool name” she’d said cooly. “I wish my name could be abbreviated. But there’s not a lot you can do with a name like ‘Rebecca Irene’. RI... BI... None of it sounds right.” After only a few sentences of talking with Becky, I’d known that she would be one of the people I’d befriend.

At the end of class, Becky invited me to sit with she and her friends at lunch. When I told her about the twin brother that wasn’t present in the class at the time, she’d invited him, too. Most people wouldn’t do that; They’d wait until they saw the person they were inviting. But Becky was different; She didn’t care if Alex was weird or not. And I accepted her offer.

And now it was lunch time, and Alex was nowhere to be found. I couldn’t exactly leave and go sit down; How would he find me then? Correct answer?: He wouldn’t. He’d make a fool of himself looking around for the entire half hour lunch period, then blame me for his grumbling stomach on the way home. That was just the way he was.

And finally, I spotted his head of dark hair making it’s way through the crowds. I let out a sigh, and walked forward to meet him. It was only then that I noticed that he was not alone.

Beside the broadly grinning Alex was a boy, a few inches shorter than him in height. His hair was long and, from the looks of it, ironed straight, and he had huge, square glasses covering the upper half of his face. He was smaller, lanky, almost like Kyle-from-English-class, but skinnier.

Alex seemed to have spotted me right away. “AJ!” he yelled, as soon as the two were close enough that I could hear him. “Look who I found!”

He didn’t need to tell me; I’d recognized him from the moment I saw those huge glasses.

“Mikey Way!?” I asked in disbelief. I could almost feel my jaw drop from the shock of actually seeing him again. I hadn’t seen this kid since I was seven years old, and now I run into him at a high school? What are the odds? You’d think we could have met up somewhere cooler, like a concert.... or Starbucks.

“You look exactly the same.” Mikey said to me, skipping the ‘hello’s and getting straight to the point. He poked my nose with his index finger. “You’ve still got all those freckles.” I smirked at him.

“At least I don’t have the same pair of square glasses that I’ve had since I was... what, five?” I taunted. That was the good thing about the relationship between the Way brothers and the Eller twins; We could always make fun of each other, mock each other, and it was ok. I guess that was one thing in a relationship that you never lost.

Alex’s face still had the same stupid grin plastered on it. Apparently he was happy that A) I recognized Mikey, and B) We were getting along. But how could we not? We’d been such good friends so long ago. Friendships like that didn’t just fade over time.

“So, just how did you guys run into each other, anyway?” I asked casually. There weren’t many opportunities for juniors and seniors to run into each other. There was only one thing that really came to mind, besides chorus. Mikey could have doubled up on math in sophomore year, taking both geometry and algebra two, like I had, for lack of anything else to take. That would put him in pre-calc this year, and possibly in class with Alex.

But that didn’t seem too likely. Mikey was never the sharpest cheese on the cracker.

“We’re in band together.” Alex explained. “Mikey plays bass now” he added, clapping Mikey on the shoulder while the younger boy grinned with pride. I nodded in appreciation.

“Wow!” I exclaimed, just as I heard my name being called from somewhere behind me. I turned to see Becky, standing up among her friends at a table near the doors of the cafeteria. She waved enthusiastically in my direction.

“That’s Becky.” I said, turning back to the two boys I was currently holding a conversation with. “Do you guys, uh, want to go sit down?”

“Um, actually...” Alex said uncertainly. I detected the tiniest twinge of guilt in his voice as he rubbed at the back of his neck. “I was going to go sit with Mikey and his friends. You can come sit with us, if you want.”

Hm.. Sitting with a bunch of boys I don’t know or a group of people that I vaguely knew, and knew for sure I got along with? The decision wasn’t hard to make, at least for me. “I’ll just go sit with Becky. I’ll meet up with you guys later, kay?” I asked.

And with a brief nod from the two boys, the three of us separated. Maybe this school wasn’t going to be as hellish as I thought...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

The rest of the day went by pretty quickly. Becky was in all three of my after lunch classes, along with curly-haired Kyle from English. And before I knew it, the final bell sounded and the hallways erupted with the sound of shouts and stomping feet.

It took a good five minutes to push myself through the crowds of people after I was through at my locker. It seemed as if everyone’s mission was to make it impossible for me to get to the student parking lot. When I finally did get there, I wasn’t surprised to find Alex standing by the door of the Volvo, with Mikey and a kid I haven’t met yet standing by his side.

“AJ, this is Frank.” Mikey said, introducing his friend as soon as I got close enough to hear among the shouts of people anxious to go home after their first day of school. “He’s in my grade.”

The kid was small, smaller than even Mikey, something I would have never thought possible. His hair was short, much shorter than Alex’s and Mikey’s, and dark brown in color. His hands were shoved in his pockets, and he was smirking.

“Hey there, pretty lady.” said the other boy, extending his hand for me to shake. I gave him a weird look, and Mikey punched him in the shoulder. The smaller boy flinched and took his hand back, using it to rub the spot that Mikey had punched. Apparently, Mikey’d gained some arm strength over the years.

“So” Alex said, quickly changing the subject to draw my attention away from the boy. “Mikey said that we should all go over his house. To catch up and stuff, yah know?”

“Yeah.” Mikey added, looking from Alex to me and back again. “My mom would be thrilled to see you guys again.” I shrugged my shoulders quickly.

“Well, why the hell not?” I asked myself out loud. School had stupidly been started on a Friday, so it wasn’t like I had tons of homework to do by tomorrow. There was no excuse to keep me from going, and I’d really love to see Donna again.

And so the four of us all piled into the Volvo, Me in the driver’s seat while Mikey narrated the way to his house.



A/N -- So, today in study hall, I wrote about three pages to this chapter, and the beginning of the next. And I was so wrapped up in it I didn’t notice when the bell rang. The teacher had to physically tap me on the shoulder and tell me it was time to go. I was writing in my math notebook, so picture this: A teenager frantically running down the hall to get to her locker, ripping papers out of a book on the way, JUST so she wouldn’t be late for theology. Yeah, that was me.

So, I sit down in Spanish later today, and we’re doing nothing, so I decided I’m going to write more. Lo and behold, no papers. I dropped them in the hallway while frantically trying to get to me locker. Just perfect, right?

But the chapter’s up nonetheless, and AJ finally meets Mikey again! And Frank, of course. I just pictured him saying something like that when he first met a girl. (: There was the warning for the slight Alternate Universe thing; For example, Frank and Mikey being the same age, Mikey already playing the bass, yada yada yada. But I hope you guys liked it. Maybe if your nice and review(and I get the chapter done) you’ll get TWO chapters in one day? Now wouldn’t that be exciting?
Sign up to rate and review this story