Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Canadian Intervention

Trunks, And Bats

by austin316hockey 2 reviews

Harry returns to Diagon Alley briefly, and bumps into one of the last people he wants to see; Harry makes progress with Occlumency.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Crossover,Drama - Characters: Harry - Warnings: [!] [?] - Published: 2008-06-10 - Updated: 2008-06-10 - 6270 words

4Original
9: TRUNKS, AND BATS
"Harry… time to get up." Harry heard someone say. As he slowly came awake, he quickly realized it was still dark. He smiled to himself, feeling an arm that was not his own slung over him. He needed not look to know who it belonged to. "Thanks," He said.
"It's 4 am," Said the voice, belonging to Travis, "You wanted to be gone by 5, right?"
"Yeah," Said Harry, reaching for his glasses on the bedside table. He slipped them on, then rolled onto his side, giving the still sleeping body beside him a poke. "Frankie?"
"Yeah?" Frank moaned, shifting slightly.
"Time to get up. Unless you don't wanna come with us."
"No, I'm awake," Frank yawned, pulling himself into a sitting position. He and Harry faced each other. "Good morning."
"Hi."

After getting cleaned up, they headed into the house for a quick breakfast. At least that was the intention. They found the table piled with food, it seemed. Both Ron and Hermione were already eating.
"'mornin' Harry," Ron mumbled, his mouth again full of food. That drew a scowl from Hermione.
"Hi guys," Said Harry, "Are the twins up yet?"
"They woke us up," Said Hermione.
"Great."
"So, um, how are we getting there, anyway?" Asked Frank, plucking a stack of pancakes off the tray.
"Same way Ron, Hermione, and the twins got here," Answered Harry.
"But, can he carry us all?"
"That's one of the incredible feats of a phoenix, Frank," Answered Hermione, "They can carry weight many times their own."
"I don't think we should be going anywhere except to this trunk maker," Said Travis, collecting his own breakfast, "Just showing your face over there is gonna be risky enough, right?"
"Absolutely," Said Harry, taking out his wand. He pointed it at himself, muttering an incantation. His features swiftly morphed into the young man Travis remembered meeting only a week earlier.
"Ron, Hermione, say hello to James Evans," Harry smirked.
"Charming, Harry… err, James," Said Hermione, giving his appearance the once-over.
"Looking like that, you're gonna come home with a girlfriend, mate," Said Ron.
"And they'll be sorely disappointed," Said Harry. That got a smirk from Frank.
"Where'd you learn that, mate?" Asked Ron.
"I DO read, guys," Answered Harry, "Now I'm able to actually practice."
"Oh, Harr… I mean, James, you're up," Said Lisa, appearing in the doorway to the dining room, "I was just about to come out and make sure you were up."
"I made sure, mum," Said Travis, polishing off the last slice of bacon. He stood to get rid of the plate, but it instantly vanished. He smiled, remembering there were now 2 house elves present. He glanced at his watch. "10 minutes to 5. Where are the twins at?" Two sudden POPs answered the question, as Fred and George instantly appeared on either side of him. Startled, Travis drew his wand.
"You were…" Began George.
"Looking for us?" Fred finished.
"Jesus Christ, don't do that!" Travis said, his heart pounding. He put away his wand, his hands actually shaking.
"How… how the hell did you guys do that?" Asked Frank, also rather startled by the twins' sudden appearance.
"It's apparation," Answered Travis, slowly calming down.
"Right useful way to travel," Answered Fred.
"Yeah, it's got me out of more than a few fights," Said Travis.
"You can apparate?" Asked Hermione, surprised, "I mean, you're not of age yet, right?"
"I've been able to apparate since I was 12," Answered Travis, "And believe me, it's saved my life more than a few times. Of course, now that I've got my independence..."
"But… what does your ministry say?" Asked Hermione, at last finishing her breakfast.
"It's illegal here too, without a license. But fuck that, I'd rather get a few fines from the ministry, than end up in the hospital, or dead."
"Speaking of, dear," Said Lisa, "You do need to get your license now." Travis only nodded.
"So it's like getting a driver's license, then," Guessed Frank.
"It's exactly like that," Said Hermione, as her plate also vanished from the table.
"C'mon guys, hurry it up, I'd rather be in and gone before lunch time over there," Harry prodded.

Just after 9 am London time, there was a flash of flame in a secluded spot off Knockturn alley. From that materialized the twins, Harry, Frank, Ron, Hermione, and Travis.
"Don't talk to anyone, just keep to the group," Said Harry, "These people are… just… there may…"
"Death Eaters," Finished Travis, seeming to understand at once.

It was rather uncomfortable for the group, as they made their way up the unsavoury alley, to the trunk maker Fred and George knew. They got lots of stares, particularly considering Fawkes had decided to cling to Harry's shoulder, and that alone drew a lot of attention. After all, a phoenix was a strong symbol of the light.

The group at last arrived at what appeared to be a small shop, which seemed to have trunks of every size out in front of it, and in its window.
"Wait here," Said George, as he and his brother stepped into the shop. They were gone for only a few seconds, then reappeared, along with the shop's proprietor. The man appeared to be in his late 60's, and in no way resembled the unsavoury folk that wandered the alley. "May I help you?"
"I need a trunk. One that's got a lot of compartments." Harry said, thinking back to his 4th year, and the trunk Barty Crouch Jr. had stuffed mad-eye Moody into.
"Do come in, then," The shop's owner invited. The large group entered the shop, and Frank was instantly stunned. The place was easily 5 times the size inside.
"Magically expanded," Travis whispered to him, seeing his gaze. Frank nodded in understanding.
"Well, we have one like this." The shop owner pointed to a large trunk with his wand. It instantly opened, revealing dozens of compartments.
"Nice, but I was thinking of one that has an entire room in it."
"Oh, then you'll want something more like this one." The proprietor pointed his wand at another one. The top opened like others, looking much like an ordinary trunk. Harry was about to decline it, but the shop owner shook his head. "Wait," He said, closing the lid, "This panel here," He gestured to a black panel on the lid, "Works like a miniature port key. It teleports the user, or anyone keyed into it, directly into the room inside."
"Oh, I see. And it will work for anyone?"
"Of course. You would have full control of who can access it," Said the man.
"And is it possible to install a floo connection? Err… I'd like to buy at least two… and…"
"Oh, I see where you're going. I don't see why not. Although it's unlikely you could connect it to the floo network at large, the ministry would probably frown on that."
"How much?"
"This model here goes for 1,350 galleons."
"May I have a look?" Asked Harry.
"By all means," Said the shop keeper, tapping Harry on the shoulder with his wand, then touching the black panel. "Go ahead. There's an identical panel in the room, it'll be directly behind where you appear, just touch it to be transported out again."

Harry touched the black panel, and was instantly transported into a dimly-lit empty room. It wasn't all that big, but it could suit with appropriate changes. He touched the black panel behind him, and reappeared outside the trunk.
"How customizable is it?" Asked Travis, "Like, can it be magically expanded?"
"Of course!" The shop keeper smiled.
"I'll take 3 of them, then," Said Harry.
"I'm afraid I only have 2 in stock," Said the shop keeper, "I'll have to order the third."
"That's fine. Is it all right if I settle for all 3 now?"
"That would be acceptable."
"I'll need to go to Gringotts," Said Harry.
"I'll apparate you over, if you don't mind going side-along," Offered Fred. Harry nodded. "Fawkes, stay here with Frankie, I'll be right back." The bird nodded, and lit onto Frank's shoulder.

It took all of 5 minutes to retrieve a bag full of galleons from his vault; his position as head of the family did garner some privileges after all. Returning to the shop, he found the trunk maker had pulled out a second, identical trunk, and had prepared a receipt.
"That'll be 3,240 galleons, Mr. Potter," Said the shop keeper, with a smile. Harry almost dropped the bag of coins. "How… how did you know?"
"Well, considering I recognize most of the faces with you, along with Albus Dumbledore's familiar, it doesn't take a lot of math to add things up."
"We'd appreciate if you keep it quiet that he's here, sir," Said Hermione.
"And I will do exactly that. Don't think for a minute I approve of what Mr. Dumbledore has been doing. He may be leader of the light, but he most certainly has lost his tact in dealing with more 'sensitive' matters, shall we say. Now, shall I shrink those for you, or are you able to do so yourself?"
"I can take care of it, thank you," Said Harry, "And I appreciate your candour, sir." He paused. "Wait, you said 1,350 galleons each, before."
"I gave you a 20 percent discount. It's the least I can do, considering, and as a way to say thank you myself."
"Oh, well, thank you," Said Harry.
"Now. Before we go any further. To key someone into the trunk. You tap black panel with your wand, saying Add, and the person's name."
"Sounds simple enough," Said Harry.

After sorting out the payment, and shrinking down the purchases, placing them safely in Harry's pocket, they left the shop.
"Where to now?"
"Just one more place," Said Harry, "Then we'd best be…"
"We can go to our shop, and flash back to Travis' place from there," Suggested George. Harry nodded.
"So where to?"
"Ollivander's. I'm tired of sticking my wand in my back pocket," Said Harry, "A holster might be a better idea."
"Yeah, good way to blast your ass off, Harry," Said Travis, as the group once again made their way out into the dingy alley.
"But… how could that happen? I mean, doesn't the wizard have to actually, um, cast a spell or something with it, for it to work?" Asked Frank.
"The wand might malfunction," Answered Hermione.

The group at last left Knockturn Alley, and entered the much more friendly confines of Diagon Alley. Although now, it certainly didn't feel all that friendly to Harry. Florean Fortescue's Ice Cream Parlour had been boarded up; they had been open only a week prior. It was one of numerous shops and stores that had closed, their windows now papered with ministry posters. Harry shuddered at one that bore the moving black-and-white photo of a sneering Belletrix Lestrange(1).
"That woman's fucking scary," Said Frank.
"She killed Sirius," Harry whispered back, darkly.
"Right mental, she is," Said Ron.

Considering how small Ollivander's was, Only Harry and Frank went in. The shop was every bit as dusty as when Harry stepped into it the first time almost 6 years prior.
"Ah, Mr. Potter," Said Mr. Ollivander, appearing from the back of the shop, "What… My, my. Good to see you again, Fawkes." The bird let out a happy trill, on sight of the wand maker. "Most curious." It felt like déjà vu all over again for Harry. "What's curious, sir?"
"That a magical creature such as Fawkes, has become comfortable with a muggle," Said Mr. Ollivander.
"But… how…"
"Mr. Potter, how do you think I am able to get a rough estimate of the type of wand a young wizard will need?"
"Their magic… you can see their magic?"
"Something like that," Answered the elderly wizard, "I can see one's magical aura. In the case of your friend here, Mr…"
"Oh. This is Frank Iero. Frankie, this is Mr. Ollivander."
"A pleasure," Said Mr. Ollivander, as they shook hands, "Now. In the case of Mr. Iero, you have… curious, again… very curious. You have residual magic about you, yet, not like a squib. Ah, yes, now I understand." The old wizard looked at both Harry and Frank. "Concatenatio Anima Materiaque."
"Hermione said that too, but, what does it mean, exactly?"
"The loose translation is magical soul mates. But it means much more than that. Mr. Iero, consider yourself extremely lucky, I think it's been nearly 3 centuries since the last magical soul mate was a muggle."
"But, why? Why him?"
"Your magic chose him, Mr. Potter. See, you must already realize, you are a great wizard. Your magic is incredibly strong, and will only get stronger. I said when you first entered my shop, we can expect great things from you."
"His magic chose me?" Asked Frank.
"More like his aura chose yours. For a muggle to be chosen by a wizard, like I said, it is the rarest of rare. I would suggest looking it up in the library at Hogwarts, Mr. Potter, but my sense is you have no intention of returning."
"Yeah, that's about right, sir," Answered Harry.
"Here. I would suggest purchasing this book," Said Mr. Ollivander, scribbling down a title on a scrap of parchment, "I believe Flourish & Blotts will probably have a copy. It will help Mr. Iero understand exactly what's happened." Harry nodded, accepting the parchment. "Now, how can I help you?"
"I need a wand holster."
"Ah, of course, let's see what I can do." He vanished into the back of the shop for nearly a minute, then returned, carrying several boxes. How about this one?" Mr. Ollivander presented a black holster from one of the boxes, while putting the rest down on the counter. Harry inspected it, then pulled out his own wand, to test the match.
"I thought it would work quite nicely, comes with a disillusionment charm as well," Said Mr. Ollivander.
"This will do nicely," Said Harry, "How much?"
"3 galleons, Mr. Potter."
"Deal," Said Harry, pulling 3 coins from his pocket.
"At least he won't risk blowing his ass cheek off, now," Said Frank. That got a scowl from Harry, and an amused look from Mr. Ollivander.

"All set, Harry?" Asked Travis, as they exited the shop.
"No, we have to make one more stop," Said Harry, producing the parchment, "Flourish & Blotts." He saw Hermione's eyes light up at the mention of the bookstore, and rolled his eyes. With luck, they might actually get out of there by supper time, now.
"You know exactly what you need?" Asked Travis, as the group made their way to the bookstore.
"Yeah, Mr. Ollivander provided the exact title: Love Practices, Rituals, and Devices, by Homert Orbanson."
"Good, then we can just ask for it and be in and out quickly," Said Travis, "Or come to think of it, Denison's would probably have it in Toronto."
"Right, I forgot…"
"Potter…" A voice sneered. Harry turned to see one of the last people he wanted to run into, only feet from the group.
"Professor Snape," Harry said, Coldly.
"At least you've taken a little precaution, showing up in the middle of Diagon Alley," Snape sneered, "Although you have to realize, there ARE some who can see through a glamour, Potter."
"We only needed a couple items, Snape, so bugger off," Said Fred.
"Oh, is that a fact, Weasley?" Said the potions professor, "What was so important that you risk your pathetic life, to be possibly captured? Have you no sense at all?"
"We were just leaving," Said Travis. It was then the professor noticed Fawkes still resting on Frank's shoulder. His ever-present sneer vanished momentarily. Has Fawkes deserted the old man for real, thought Snape.
"How long has Fawkes been with you, Potter?" Snape demanded.
"Since I left, sir," Answered Harry.
"Look, can we take this inside somewhere?" Asked Travis, "I think we're probably drawing attention."
"Our shop, that's where we were going anyway," Said Fred.
"Fine," Said Harry.

A few minutes later, the one-larger group stepped into Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes.
"George! Fred! You're back… Oh, Professor Snape," Said Lee Jordan, who had been left in charge of the shop while the twins were away.
"Surrounded by Gryffindors, lovely," Sneered the potions professor.
"Look. Professor. What do you want?" Said Harry.
"You do know what it will mean, if Fawkes has truly deserted Dumbledore, do you not?" Said Snape.
"A phoenix deserting his bonded witch or wizard is a bad omen," Said Hermione.
"He did escape ministry custody," Travis pointed out.
"And he's working his connections right now to get you back at your muggle relatives, Potter, the man's bordering on obsession."
"And you can tell the old goat I have no intention of returning," Said Harry, his temper starting to rise.
"Harry, we'd best get back to my place," Said Travis, glancing at his watch.
"Harry, give us the trunks, we'll get the floo set up in them… dad has a connection at floo regulation," Said George. Harry quickly fished both trunks out of his pocket, and passed them over. George re-enlarged them slightly.
"Right," Said Harry, realizing what he needed to do. He tapped the black panel on the first trunk, saying, "Add, George Weasley." He then repeated the process for his brother, and did the same for the second trunk.
"So we're fighting the Order, as well as Voldemort and the Ministry, then," Said Hermione.
"It will likely end up that way, Granger," Said Snape.
"What else do you want?" Asked Harry, coldly. There was definitely no love lost between him and the potions professor. He still at least partially blamed him for the death of Sirius. His cold and calculated comments toward Sirius about his 'role' in the Order had most likely contributed to his rash action at the Ministry, which led to his death.(2)
"I would like another word with your parents, Potter," Said the potions professor, with a little less edge in his voice, "A word with them… alone."
"I didn't bring the portrait with me," Said Harry.
"For once, you have surprised me, Potter," Said Snape, "I would have expected you to…"
"What, stick it to my forehead with spellotape, or something? I'm rash sometimes, and yes I make stupid mistakes, Merlin, you remind me enough in class… but I know better than to cart something around when I might lose it, bloody hell!" Harry thought for a moment. "Look. I'll be at Gringotts in Toronto on Wednesday morning… err… around the noon hour here. Be there, I'll bring the portrait."
"We'd really best be going, Harry. Mum's gonna worry if we're not back soon," Said Travis.
"Fawkes, ready?" Asked Harry. The bird puffed his feathers, and shifted bit, giving off a happy trill, and clutching Frank's shoulder a little tighter. Everyone grasped the bird's tail feathers, and vanished into a burst of flame, leaving Snape, the twins, and Lee behind.

They rematerialized out on the back deck of Travis' place. They had been gone almost 2 hours.
"Well, that was interesting," Said Hermione.
"Greasy git," Ron muttered.
"What's his problem anyway?" Asked Frank.
"It was partly dad's fault," Said Harry, "Snape was always a loner at school… not that he was by any means innocent… but he was the target of my dad's pranks… that's why he and I don't exactly get along."
"Whatever your dad did to him, he's got no right to be a bastard toward you, Harry."
"Try telling HIM that," Answered Harry.
"If you ask me, that man's not had a lot of love in his life, either," Said Travis, "Anyway, I'm gonna let mum know we're going to Baldwin Alley so you can get that book."
"Yes, right," Said Harry. Running into Snape had completely threw him off balance, causing him to forget all about the book.

Much to Ron, Harry, Frank, and Travis' displeasure, Hermione insisted on picking through the mountainous volumes of books at Denison's, in Toronto's Baldwin Alley. After all, Hermione wasn't going to pass up combing through a new source of books. So, it was nearly dinner time before the group returned to Travis' place.

Of course, Harry had picked up a few books that he thought might be of use, including a number of books he knew Dumbledore and numerous individuals in the Order would most definitely frown on. He was half-tempted to ask Snape for suggestions as well… HALF-tempted. Still, he knew he needed to do as much research as he could… and get as much help as he could. It was common knowledge Snape coveted the Dark Arts Defence position at Hogwarts, so as much as he loathed the idea, he would have to ask.

Dinner seemed to pass by without notice, Harry still lost in thought. That morning's brief foray back to merry old England, and he had been easily recognized, not once, but THREE TIMES, with the last one being Snape, of all people! What if that had been Mad-Eye Moody? He actually shuddered at the ramifications.
"Harry?" Asked Frank.
"I'm fine."
"You've been very quiet, mate," Said Ron.
"I… I don't think it's safe… for me to go back to England… not until I'm absolutely prepared to fight Voldemort. I mean, today… Snape, of all people! What if it had been Moody?" Harry said, frustrated.
"Hey, that's fine, mate, we can help you… I mean, that's why you asked us over here, isn't it?" Asked Ron. Harry nodded.
"And we can get the other members of the DA to help out, too," Said Hermione.
"DA? What's that?" Asked Mikey.
"We started an extra study group last year," Said Hermione, "We called it Dumbledore's Army… although now I think we can just call it the Defence Association."
"Hermione. I'm not returning to Hogwarts," Said Harry, "Not as a student."
"Then neither am I," Said Hermione. Ron grunted in agreement; he was busily devouring a bowl of fresh fruit topped with whipped cream.
"Guys. This isn't gonna be a picnic… I don't know if I'll be attending school at all. The only thing I'm interested in, are things that will help me defeat Voldemort. That's it. So I can go on, and possibly… possibly have a life with… with the people I love and care about." Harry looked straight at Frank when he said the last bit, having to take off his glasses to wipe his eyes.
"We know that, Harry, but you said it yourself in the letter you sent to me, to both of us… you need our help, and Merlin, no matter what, we're going to help you," Said Hermione.

The rest of the evening, everyone for the most part went off to do their own thing, with the members of My Chemical Romance retreating to the shop once again, to, as Gerard declared, work on some new material. Frank reluctantly followed, as he had been neglecting his band mates most of the weekend, and he could tell Gerard was getting irritated about that.

Although Harry really wanted to explore the book that covered Concatenatio Anima Materiaque, he had not studied the book Bill had given him since he got on the plane a week prior. No, Occlumency was far more important. Nightfall found him seated at the fire pit, with said book in front of him, dimly lit by the fire. If anything, the sound of the crickets and other creatures of the night had a soothing effect.

By late that evening, he had grasped enough of the basic concepts to actually start some exercises. The most important thing, the book had explained, is to get into a calm state. Meditation would be the best thing, but Harry had no clue about that. So instead, he only focused on relaxing the body. A good calming draught would be the best thing, he thought.

Minutes later, he had the needed potion; it seemed Travis kept a decent stash of critical potions in a private store in his room. He returned to his seat at the fire pit, consumed said potion, and allowed it to take effect. The book had not specified whether or not this was an appropriate method, but it was worth a try anyway. The idea from there was to think about a single point. A single spot of light, a vanishing point. His world suddenly faded to black.

oOo
When he again woke, or at least 'thought' he had woke, he found himself amongst piles of globes, similar to the prophecy globes in the Department of Mysteries.
"Well, it took you long enough," A voice that sounded like his own, said.
"Wha?" Harry wheeled about, to find an identical image of himself staring back at him. "Where am I?"
"Inside your mind, of course," Said his clone.
"But… how is that possible?"
"We did follow the basic instructions of the book, did we not?" Said the clone. Harry nodded.
"Then there's your answer."
"It… it didn't say it would look like THIS, though."
"I'm sure it didn't. What, were you expecting a library perhaps?" The scene suddenly changed, to thousands of shelves of books, scattered in mismanaged fashion. "You have to set it up as you see fit, this is YOUR mind, and no one else's."
"Then how about this?" Harry thought for a moment, and the scene instantly changed, to a simple room, with a muggle computer sitting on a desk a the centre of it.
"Creative," Said the clone, "But you will have to still sort through and organize all your memories. Remember what the book said."
"I know… Occlumency is as much about organisation as it is about protection," Answered Harry.
"So do you have a memory you want to use as a trap?"
"This one," Said Harry, thinking of the memory of his mother's screams the night she died.
"Very good choice, I may say," Said the clone.
"Who… err… what are you, exactly?"
"I'm your subconscious mind, Harry… and you have to leave now, I'm afraid. We've been in here for hours, and someone's trying to wake you… in quite an unusual manner, if I might say."
"Hours?" Asked Harry. His clone nodded. "You know how to get back to me. Do it when you go to sleep again, we'll chat some more and work on this mess. And next time, we'll set it up so we have more time."
"Deal," Said Harry. He closed his eyes, feeling the world around him slide away.

As the outside world began to take shape again, he felt another body on top of his, and quickly noticed, he was no longer sitting. Someone's lips were kissing his own; the smell of tobacco smoke and cologne told him it was Frank. It took no effort on his part to reciprocate, as a certain piece of hardware below the belt also responded.
"'morning," Frank whispered, as they finally broke off from their kiss.
"It's morning?" Said Harry, his eyes fluttering open. He was practically assaulted by the bright light of mid-morning.
"Yeah… had to bring you up to bed… I hope you didn't mind. You were dead to the world."
"Oh… of course not," Said Harry, grinning, and running a free hand through Frank's hair.
"You like it?"
"Yeah, of course. It's different… as in, different in a wicked way," Answered Harry, following the contour of Frank's jaw.
"I can cut yours like that."
"Good luck with that, it'll just grow back the following night," Said Harry.
"No way."
"On my magic," Harry swore.
"Damn."
"Tonks thinks I've got a bit of Metamorphmagus ability."
"Meta… what?"
"Oh. Metamorphmagus. It means a person can change their appearance at will," Explained Harry.
"But… you did…"
"No, as in, they can do it without their wand, or without casting a spell... it's like, a chameleon is a good example, I guess."
"That would be awesome," Said Frank.
"Someday, you'll meet Tonks. She's a member of the Order, though, and I don't know whose side she'll be on… when everything comes out."
"Harry, you up? The twins are back," It was Travis.
"Give us a minute," Said Harry, once again facing Frank. "That was a wicked way to be woken up, by the way."
"I'm glad. Waking up beside you was, um, wicked, too," Said Frank. That got a smile from Harry.
"Good morning, Harry," Said Lily from her portrait.
"Hi mum, dad," Said Harry, as he finally opened the curtain. He was again assaulted by the brightness of the day. He also noticed something else: It was almost stiflingly hot.
"Holy fuck, who turned on the oven?" Said Frank, also noticing the heat.
"Weather's calling for temperatures in the high 30s today, guys," Said Travis, getting up from his desk, "The beds have cooling charms on them, the room doesn't."
"And was it you that applied the cooling charm, Travis?" Asked James.
"Yeah, it was."
"Then show me, and I'll help you cool the whole room," Harry offered.
"After we see the twins," Said Travis, "I think they might have your trunk, or one of them, at least." Harry nodded, then started digging in his trunk for a suitable pair of shorts. He found an old pair of jeans he had cut off at the knees, since the bottom were pretty much wrecked as it was, but Frank shook his head. "Wait a second." He pulled his large travel bag from under the bed, and dug in it for a few moments. "Here." He tossed Harry a pair of camouflage combat pants that had also been hacked off at the knees.
"What's the difference?" Asked Harry.
"Those, throw them out, man," Said Travis, "Ok, one of the things we need to do, is get you some muggle clothes." Harry only nodded, sliding on the offered pair of shorts. They actually fit him quite well. No need for a belt.
"There's actually a bunch of muggle stores close to Baldwin Alley that sell combat pants and stuff like those," Said Travis. Harry only nodded. He certainly had the money, maybe it was time he started using it.

A few minutes later, the group left the shop, and found most of the others sitting at the patio table, under the large umbrella. Breakfast was a light affair, with only cereal and fruit offered. It was, after all, way too warm to be using the stove.
"Harry, mate!" George greeted.
"Hi guys!"
"Dad was absolutely brilliant, got a floo installed in both trunks first thing this morning!" Fred exclaimed.
"So we hope you didn't mind…" Said George.
"…we fellytoned Travis…" Fred continued.
"…and got him to send Fawkes…"
"…to bring us back here!" They both finished.
"Of course not. So did you try it… the trunk floos, I mean?"
"Of course," Said George, "They work flawless."
"Well, then, let's give it a go," Said Harry, eagerly. Fred pulled the trunk from his pants pocket, placed it on the deck, then pointed his wand at it, saying, "Engorgio!" The trunk returned to its original size. Harry flicked his wrist, and his wand materialized in his hand. He tapped the black panel, saying, "Add, Frank Iero." A silver point of light vanished into the panel. He then repeated the process for Ron, Hermione, and Travis. Finally, flicking his wrist again, he stowed away his wand, then touched the black panel.

The room which he stepped into was pretty much the same as the one he had appeared in the day before, other than the amazing hearth that now graced the opposite wall. The stonework was a work of art, as was the mantle that framed it. It was an impressive feat of transfiguration that suited both form and function, with a fire already crackling in the grate. He was suddenly taken out of his state of admiration, as another body almost landed on top of him.
"Um, sorry, Harry," Said Frank, realizing what had happened.
"No, my fault," Said Harry, "I forgot others might be coming down after." They moved out of the corner, and just in time, as both twins materialized. That was followed shortly after, as Ron and Hermione arrived, and finally, Travis.
"So how does this work," Asked Harry.
"This, is Trunk Alpha," Said Fred, "The one at our shop is called Trunk Beta, if that makes any sense."
"Military alphabet code," Said Travis.
"The floo connection works EXACTLY like a normal connection, except that it will only connect with its brother…" Fred began.
"So in this case, it will only connect with trunk beta," Finished George.
"Well, let's give it a go, then," Said Harry. Both twins stepped up to the fireplace, one of them reaching into the small pot of floo powder that hung from a bracket. He tossed a handful of it into the grate, causing the fire to change colour. This time, instead of the customary green colour, it turned a crimson red. Both twins stepped into the flames, George calling out, "Trunk Beta!", and vanished in the flames.
"Bloody hell, it worked!" Exclaimed Ron.
"Of course it worked! Why wouldn't it?" Asked Hermione.
"Frankie? Coming?" Asked Harry, stepping up to the grate.
"You know I hate this," Said Frank, joining him.
"Hey, I don't fare much better," Harry laughed, reaching into the floo pot. He repeated the process, also saying "Trunk Beta!" Both vanished in the red flames.

It was virtually instantaneous, as they were ejected from the grate, sprawling on the floor. Harry opened his eyes to see two red-heads smiling down at him. "Never been able to do that right," He laughed, accepting George's outstretched hand.
"Ok, so we're really back in your joke shop," Said Frank.
"I swear it," Said George.
"Now one question," Said Harry, "How do we tell if there's someone nearby outside the trunk?"
"Good one, we probably should have asked the trunk maker yesterday. We'll think of something," Said George. Meanwhile, his brother touched the black panel, and vanished.
"Coming?"

Moments later, all four of them stood in the back room of the twins' shop. Frank's face said it all.
"Isn't magic great?" Harry grinned. Just then, the door opened, and a red-headed girl stepped into the room. "It's gotta be here some… Harry!!? Eeep!"
"Ginny… err…" Harry could feel the blood rushing to his head, being every bit as surprised as she was.
"Harry James Potter!! How dare you scare us that way! How…"
"Ginny, please, not now," Harry pleaded, "I will explain, I promise." He cast a glance at Frank, who did not look impressed. This is going very badly, he thought.
"Don't you 'Ginny' me, Mr. Potter! Vanished for a week without even a peep, but oh, the Prophet's been busy! What did Dumbledore do to deserve these cruel lies?!"
"LOOK! Enough, I'm tired of exactly that, everyone believing what the Daily FUCKING Prophet prints. Frankie, come on," Said Harry, touching the black panel. He vanished. Frank only shrugged, giving Ginny a sour look, and also touched the black panel, to vanish.
"Ginny," Fred said, "That's the LAST thing Harry needs right now. You may have just ruined it for all of us…"
"Thanks a lot, sis," Said George, icily.
"…and a word to mum or dad, you're fired. That's…"
"…not a joke," George finished. Ginny gave both her brothers a cold look, and stormed out of the room.

"Harry? What happened?" Asked Hermione, seeing Harry's sour look, as the group returned through the floo.
"Ginny happened," Answered Harry. Hermione understood at once. "She went off at me for not writing, accusing me of making up lies…"
"Merlin, she didn't!"
"She did," Answered Harry, "Look, I just don't want to deal with that right now, ok? I'm going to study for a while." His unsaid words implied he wanted to be alone, but Frank ignored it, following him out of the trunk, and back to the room over the shop.
"I'm… I'm gonna sleep for a while…" Harry mumbled, "Got stuff… to sort out in my head." He aimlessly plopped down on his bed, and made himself comfortable.

The trip to the subconscious was much easier the second time around, now that he knew how. Even as riled up as he had just been, it took him only minutes to find himself once again in the small room with the computer, facing an identical copy of himself… his subconscious self.
"That certainly could have gone better, I must say."
"I agree about that one," Said Harry, "Shall we get to work?"
"You ought to know, your mate has snuggled up next to you," Said the copy. Harry smiled at this. Now how did he know THAT was going to happen? "Now. I have altered the time stream so we can get some real work done. You have a lot of memories to sort through."
"Yeah. Is it possible to throw any away?"
"I'm afraid not. All you can do, is categorize them and file them away so they won't haunt you as severely."
"That's better than what I have now, I guess," Said Harry, "So let's do it, then."



AUTHOR NOTES: Err, actually, I have a question for my dear readers: Would Snape know of the horcruxes? Would his position in the Death Eaters' inner circle make him privy to that kind of thing? See, I'm in a bit of a quandary as to how Harry would find out about them, right? I mean, there's no way he's gonna get that information from Dumbledore. At least not directly. So, ideas on this would be great, thanks.

(1)Loosely taken from p.108, HBP, Canadian soft-cover edition.

(2)Loosely taken from p.153, HBP, Canadian soft-cover edition.
Sign up to rate and review this story