Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > What Happened to Us?

Play Nice, Boys

by crazyfrogpond 1 review

Sasuke and Naruto have always been best friends since the beginning of time. They tell each other everything, no matter how awkward it may seem. They are best friends afterall, right? So why does N...

Category: Naruto - Rating: R - Genres: Humor,Romance - Characters: Itachi,Naruto,Sasuke - Warnings: [!!!] [X] - Published: 2008-06-16 - Updated: 2008-06-17 - 3112 words

0Unrated
Disclaimer: I do NOT own Naruto or any other of the characters!! (Except for the few that I make up.) If I owned Naruto, I wouldn't be so damn poor and anyone who dared to call Naruto a loser in the series would randomly get slapped across the face!! LOL. So you can try to sue me, but the only thing I have that's worth anything is a package of spearmint gum. Sad, isn't it?

Chapter 3: Play Nice, Boys

(BOTH Naruto & Sasuke POV)

"SASUKE!!!"

Naruto looked ahead to see if the raven-haired boy had heard his name being screamed. Apparently he had, for he was currently looking in Naruto's location. Naruto increased his speed, afraid that his best friend would try to avoid him yet again. He needed to know what was going on, and he needed to know now!

Naruto stopped abruptly in front of Sasuke, breathly deeply in an attempt to get the oxygen back into his lungs. The blonde beauty had nearly flew face first into the ground in his haste to catch up with his broody friend.

Naruto had expected Sasuke to take off in the opposite direction, which is exactly what said boy had been doing all week. Something was clearly bothering Sasuke, and Naruto wanted to know what that something was. What in the world could have possibly freaked out the "great" Sasuke Uchiha?

Naruto inhaled deeply one last time and looked up at his raven-haired friend. To his total surprise the raven hadn't made a move to leave, which didn't make any sense since Sasuke had been avoiding him all week like the plague. Naruto gazed into the other boy's eyes and once again saw the same, sad, miserable look in the raven's dark irises. Just what the hell was going on?

"...Sasuke?"

Said boy did not respond, rather he continued to stare at his best friend. He was completely lost in those bright blue eyes, and he felt as if he was swimming in a tropical ocean. He knew he was sick for having these thoughts about his best friend...but he just couldn't stop himself.

He wanted nothing more than to hold his blonde dobe tight in his arms. How could something so damn beautiful possibly be human? No, Naruto wasn't human at all. He had to be an angel sent directly from heaven above. There was no way the bright dobe could be anything other than an angelic being.

"Earth to Sasuke! Do you read me? Please return to the home planet immediately! I repeat, earth to Sasuke!"

Sasuke smirked at the blonde boy's antics. He knew Naruto was trying desperately to get his attention, but all he wanted to do was stare at his beautiful, blonde dobe for eternity. It was during times like this that the raven wished that everybody else in the world didn't exist. For if they didn't, he could truly be alone and happy with his Naruto.

Sasuke looked down at the blonde's mouth, realizing that the shorter boy was now yelling at him. However, Sasuke refused to speak. He wasn't in the mood to talk, ecspecially since he knew where the conversation would lead to. He continued to watch every movement of Naruto's mouth, wondering what it would feel like to have those soft lips pressed against his own.

"......!!! What is your problem?! Why won't you talk to me anymore?! What the hell did I do to get you so pissed off at me?! Will you please just tell me why you're angry at me? Please?"
Naruto looked at Sasuke, hoping that his dark friend would answer some of his questions.

Yet, Sasuke continued to just stand there with the same blank expression on his face. Naruto's eyes began to water. Sasuke wasn't even paying attention to him. Did this mean that they were no longer friends? But what did he do to make the raven so angry with him?

'I won't cry. No matter what I do, I won't cry. I can't be weak in front of him, he hates weakness. And besides, only girls cry. I can't start acting like one of his annoying fan girls.'
Although Naruto kept chanting these words within his head, he could feel his resolve crumbling. The more he tried to hold the tears back, the more he hurt. Slowly, the tears leaked from his eyes and streamed down his face. So much for being strong...

"I'm sorry, Sasuke. I'm sorry for whatever I did, and I promise not to do it again. Just, don't stop being my friend, okay? You're the only person at school who I can really trust..."

Sasuke watched in fascination as the crystal tears flowed down the blonde's elegant face. The dobe thought that he had done something to anger him? How in the hell had Naruto come up with that conclusion? Well, he had been avoiding the blonde for a whole week now... Dammit! He had really screwed things up! He didn't want Naruto to think that he had done something wrong! How had things gotten so distorted?

Sasuke hated seeing his dobe cry, even though Naruto looked stunningly beautiful while doing so. He had to let the dobe know that he wasn't mad at him, but how? If he told Naruto the real reason why he was avoiding him, his whole future could be shot to hell!

'Screw it!!!'

Naruto had closed his eyes sometime ago in an attempt to stop the tears. So when he felt lips press against his, he jumped in surprise. He opened his eyes and saw Sasuke leaning over him. Had Sasuke kissed him? No, that was impossible. Sasuke would never-

All thought left Naruto's mind as Sasuke captured his mouth in another blazing kiss. The blonde boy tried to back away, confusion swirling inside him. However, Sasuke wrapped both of his arms tightly around Naruto, drawing his dobe even closer to him.

By this time, Naruto was in absolute heaven. His main love interest was currently kissing him. KISSING him!!! Of all people, Sasuke Uchiha was making out with him, Naruto Uzumaki, behind the school. He had to be dreaming.

That was it! He was having another one of his lovey-dovey dreams about Sasuke. You know, the reoccuring dream where Sasuke and he would declare their undying love for one another. Then they would skip off into the distance and live happily ever after.

Well, that's not exactly what happened in every dream. However, it was pretty damn close! Anyway, Naruto had dreamed of this moment since he first realized he was hopelessly in love with the moody teme. So he found it hard to believe that his Sasuke would show such affection towards him, his blonde MALE friend.

In fact, the probability that his raven-haired friend would ever think of him in a romantic way was slim to none. Sasuke was one of the two heirs to the prodigious "Uchiha Clan", the richest, most successful family in all of Japan. There was no way he would ever have feelings for a man. He was going to graduate highschool, become a famous doctor, marry the daughter of another successful business man, and live a fabulous life.

So why was Sasuke kissing him now? Was he doing this as a joke? Had Sasuke somehow found out about his feelings and decided to use them to humiliate the blonde? He didn't think that Sasuke would sink so low, yet Naruto was beginning to believe that he didn't know Sasuke as well as he had originally thought.

Suddenly, Naruto felt a wet appendage trying to gain entrance into his mouth. Again doubt filled his mind, and instead of allowing Sasuke to enter his mouth, Naruto pulled away. Sasuke opened his eyes and looked down at Naruto, whose eyes were glazed over with confusion. However, the confusion was soon replaced with heated anger that was swirling dangerously in Naruto's blue orbs.

Without any warning whatsoever, Naruto raised his left fist and decked the unsuspecting raven right in his jaw. Sasuke fell to the ground gracelessly, unable to react since his mind was numb with shock. What the hell was that for?! He finally pushes aside his pride and fear to confess his love to the blonde dobe, and the idiot punches him?! Had he misinterpreted Naruto's feelings? Maybe Naruto really did think of him as just a friend and nothing more...

"You think this is funny, you bastard?!!! What the hell was that?! One last senior prank before we graduate?!!! Who the fuck do you think you are?!!! This whole damn week has been an absolute hell!!!! First, you ignore and avoid me all fucking week, then you mock me by staring off into space while I'm talking to you, and now you're making fun of me?!!! I don't know what I did to make you act like a fucking prick, but I don't think whatever I did was bad enough for me to deserve this kind of shitty treatment!"

"Naruto--"

"No!!! You don't get to say anything right now! Besides, you probably just want to say some smart-ass comment that you've recently come up with. Well, I don't want to hear it! If you didn't want to be friends with me anymore, you should have just told me in the first place instead of ignoring and humiliating me! I get it now, Sasuke! I won't bother you anymore as long as you don't bother me!!!"

Without another word, Naruto ran from the school. He just wanted to talk to his older brother right now, and he didn't want his father to see him crying. He had to be strong so that his father wouldn't worry needlessly about him. Besides, he could just call his dad as soon as he reached Kyuubi's dorm room.

Mind made up, Naruto headed towards the bus stop that would take him to his brother's college. Kyuubi was the one he could always depend on to cheer him up, no matter what the circumstance. His brother had the unique ability of cheering everyone and anyone up without any effort at all.

Kyuubi was just one of those people who everyone loved being around. And right now, Naruto needed to hear his brother's jokes and weird stories. Afterall, it's not like he could go home and talk to his father about this. Minato would probably go ballistic if Naruto told him how Sasuke had been treating him this past week!

Naruto arrived at the bus stop and sat down on the empty bench. For once in his life, Naruto was actually happy that he was alone. Usually Naruto liked having someone around to talk to, but today had sucked and he was in a foul mood. He probably looked like hell, considering he had been crying his eyes out a few minutes ago.

The sky began to darken, mirroring Naruto's depressed mood. Naruto pulled his knees up to his chest and rested his head on them, his hands circling around his legs. He continued to sulk, waiting for the bus that would arrive in just a few moments.

(Kyuubi POV)

Kyuubi entered his dorm room and threw his back pack on the couch. His day had been a living hell, and he was happy to finally get away from it all. He loved college, but sometimes he felt as if he was back in highschool. Kyuubi's hint of the day: Don't expect all college students to be mature, cuz they ain't.

Today had started out like every other day. Kyuubi had woken up, gotten dressed for his first class, and had eaten a bowl of ramen for breakfast. Now, Kyuubi wasn't really a fan of ramen, but his little brother loved the stuff! So Kyuubi started to keep ramen on stock at his dorm just in case his little brother happened to show up unexpected.

Once in awhile, Kyuubi would partake in the noodles whenever he got homesick. His college was a good five hours away from his home, therefore he rarely ever got to see his father and brother. Kyuubi was a free spirit, and he loved to travel. However, there were many times when he wished that he could just go home to his family.

He missed the family dinners where he could talk about anything and everything with Naruto and his father. He missed hearing them laugh whenever he would tell one of his lame jokes, and he missed having to climb up through his bedroom window to get into the house whenever he stayed out late. Kyuubi smiled to himself, remembering when Naruto had ended up shooting milk through his nose after Kyuubi had decided to say something hiliarious during breakfast.

Kyuubi opened his bookbag, and he was instantly reminded of why he was in a bad mood today. His sociology class project. Oh, how he hated that class! One of his stupid friends had suggested that he take it, and now he was completely regretting ever listening to said friend.

His project required him to interview a college senior about what they planned to do after they graduated from college. Kyuubi was attending an extremely prestigious school, therefore the majority of the students who attended the college ended up being incredibly successful in their chosen careers. So, Kyuubi had been completely excited about the chance to learn about someone else's goals and achievements.

At first.

Then his teacher had informed them that he would be choosing the student whom they were to interview. Again, Kyuubi had not cared. Kyuubi got along well with eveyone, mainly because he was such an easy going person. Afterall, no matter who he was assigned to, they were guarenteed to be fun and interesting, right?

WRONG!

Kyuubi had been assigned Uchiha Itachi. Kyuubi hadn't known much about the man, except that he had graduated at the top of his class. In fact, Kyuubi had been thrilled, believing that this guy would have an interesting career goal to tell him about.

Oh, how he had been completely and utterly wrong!

Itachi was an asshole. Plain and simple as that. He rarely said anything to anybody, preferring to answer questions in grunts. When the man did decide to grace the world with his voice, it was usually to say something cold or demeaning.

Kyuubi had so far found out that Itachi was destined to become head of his father's company after he graduated from college. The very career that Kyuubi HATED was the dream of this asshole! Kyuubi just couldn't fathom why some people actually wanted to sit in an office all day and do paperwork. How BORING!

Kyuubi wanted to be a photographer, traveling the world and taking pictures of everything he saw. Kyuubi was actually an incredible photographer! He had already been hired by countless newspapers, magazines, and modeling agencies. At first, Kyuubi had started out by taking photos at weddings, anniverseries, graduations, birthdays, and etc. However, eventually Kyuubi's excellent work had gotten around and recruiters had started showing up at his door!

Now he was stuck interviewing some prick who deemed him not worthy of his time! Could life possibly suck anymore? Why, of all the people he could have been assigned to, did his teacher have to stick him with an ice prince?! He used to have such good luck, so where the hell had it all gone!?

To be fair, Itachi had never been rude and mean to him at all. He answered any questions Kyuubi asked and he always talked to him with respect. However, Itachi only said anything to him when he was asked a question. He never tried to talk to Kyuubi about anything else other than the project, and half the time he would just stare at the orange-haired man in confusion.

This made Kyuubi extremely paranoid, thinking that maybe he had said or done something that he wasn't supposed to. This whole ordeal was just so frustrating! However, it was a major part of his grade, so he couldn't just blow it off and quit. So he would just have to stick it out until the very end, no matter how annoyed he became!

Kyuubi sat down at the little table he had in the kitchen area of his dorm, sorting through his neatly written notes. He was just about to get lost in his work when he heard a knock at his door. Wondering who could possibly be visiting him at 11:00pm on a Wednesday night, Kyuubi opened the door.

To find his little brother, Naruto, soaking wet and crying.

"Naruto! What happened!? Is everything okay?! Where's dad?!"

Naruto ignored all the questions being thrown at him, and embraced his older brother in a cruching hug. He was so happy to see Kyuubi right now, and he didn't want to ruin this brief moment of happiness by talking about Sasuke.

"...It's alright. Here, lets get you out of these wet clothes before you catch a cold. Okay?"

Naruto nodded and followed his brother to his room.

(END OF CHAPTER)
Turtle: There you have it. Another drama filled chapter. Again, I'm very sorry about the long wait. I wish I could say that it wouldn't happen again, but I shouldn't make any promises just incase I can't keep them. The future is a monkey that likes to throw shit at you randomly. However, I will try my best not to have another two-month MIA episode. I shouldn't now that school is out and the summer is here. Thank GOD!

Sasuke: I'm beginning to realize how much you enjoy complaining. And I must say, it's pathetic.

Turtle: (sing song voice) Nooooooo. What's really pathetic is that it took you this long to
figure that out. And they call you a genius. HAH! A genius of sarcastic remarks, maybe. Although, lately your insults haven't been that good. I must say, it is a gigantic disapointment.

Naruto: Now, don't you two start fighting again! I swear, a session with you two is a migraine and a half!

Turtle: Awww, Naruto! I'm just jealous that Sasuke gets to have you all to himself! You're such a cute little chibi!!! Curse you, Sasuke!!!

Sasuke: Heh. Don't hate because you can't offer him what I can.

Turtle: True. SO TRUE.

Naruto: Wait... What can't you offer me, turtle-chan, that Sasuke can? I'm confused. You're a much better friend than Sasuke-teme. This doesn't make any sense!

Turtle: Oh, Good Lord... I love you, Naruto, but sometimes you can be so niave... I guess that's what makes you so adorable!!! Well, see you all in the next chapter! And one last final: I'M SORRY!
Sign up to rate and review this story