Categories > Original > Drama > The Archive (A Screenplay)

Pallatium : History and Background

by sammywrae 0 reviews

All about the world in which the screenplay is set. This does not form part of the screenplay, but does help in understanding it.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-06-21 - Updated: 2008-06-21 - 1366 words - Complete

0Unrated
Pallatium is an arable country, with very little technology. While every household has free access to the internet, the National Health Service is second to none and there is a fully integrated national transport system, the majority of the country is farmland, and the majority of the population are farmers.

Pallatium is was originally entirely populated by women. The Goddesses of Pallatium (Bobbi, Charlie and Alex) live on a secluded farm out of town, and they say one day they created the population, and granted the knowledge of how to let two women have a child together.

However, as the country expanded, and tourism (both internal and external) took off, men started coming to the country, and soon started forming a part (if not a big part) of the population.

Government

The Queen (The First Triarch) is elected to her position as absolute ruler of Pallatium. While she has cabinet to advise her, they are not a legislative or executive body and have no say in the final decisions. There are two "deputy Queens" (The Second Triarchs), who are also elected, and - should The Queen become ill or unable to perform her duties - they rule together until a new Queen is elected.

There is no fixed consitution - with the Queen having sole authority over the country there would be little point - however all new laws must be consistant with previous laws, and all new laws can be challanged by the public should more than 55 of the public agree, or by The Judiciary should 35 of the Judiciary agree.

The nation is divided in to nine districts, with four quadrants in each, however these exist purely for administrative purposes (tax collection, registration of births and deaths and so forth). There are no laws made at local levels - The Queen governs nationally and all laws apply to all areas. The only are exempt from national laws is the farm on which the goddesses live (the First Queen thought that applying women's law to the divine might seem a tad presumptious).

An election can be called at any time if more than 15 of the nation demand it. The election will be held within two weeks and the results will take effect immediately.

The Legal System

The Judicial System is entirely independent of The Queen's government. When someone wants to become a judge, she takes the examinations and, if she passes, she is elevated to the bench. All judges are required to take the examination every five years (up to the age of 50), every two and a half years (up to the age of 75) and every year after that. Should she fail, she is removed from the bench.

The Queen is not permitted to interfere with any part of the judicial process, although she creates and passes the laws. She is also not immune from the judicial system, and can be brought to trial should the cricumstances require.

There is no death penalty in Pallatium, however some crimes are punishable by exile. These include terrorism with bloodshed (not terrorism in general) and high treason in times of war.

SubJ Laws

During a trial, the media (print, visual and radio) are prevented, by The SubJ Laws, from publishing any story, opinion or other material that could sway the outcome of a trial. This includes publishing evidence that was not admitted to the court, so called "vox pops" of public opinion, editorials regarding the outcome of the trial, or anything that could be described as subjective.

These laws also apply to people who are on remand or who have been bound over for trial - the media is not permitted to print anything other than official court announcements.

The Queen, her deputies, her cabinet and "the bench" are also bound by these laws, as they hold positions of authority and could be seen as trying to interfere with the independence of the court. Finally anyone else who could be considered in a position of authority is bound by these laws as well.

After a trial is concluded, the media is still limted as to what actions they can take. They are not permitted to interview the judge, the jury or any court officials. Witnesses and Lawyers can be interviewed, but only after a trial is concluded.

Those who were forbidden from commenting on the trial as it was in progress are permitted to comment on the outcome.

Rights and Freedoms

The press is entirely free, with only two exceptions. They are not permitted to print stories that are not true (and they have to be able to prove their stories are true when challanged) and during a trial (as explained above)

Free Speech and Expression - everyone has the right to free speech and freedom of expression, however it is limited during a trial (as explained above) and the race relations laws cover various specific instances.

Free Education - all children are educated for free until they turn 13 (age of majority) and are funded for one further learning course should they require it. After that they have to pay for themselves.

There is no nationally enforced religion in Pallatium, however everyone tends to follow the Three Goddesses. The only national holiday is the day the Three Goddesses revealed themselves to The First Queen, and The Queen's Birthday, which varies depending on the current Queen. The population has freedom of religion, but, as it turns out, knowing your goddesses are living just down the road is a remarkable motivator for faith in a certain religion.

The population of Pallatium mature at what would normally be considered a fairly rapid rate. By the time they are 13 they have completed their schooling, and are ready to start living as adults. Consequently the age of majority in Pallatium is 13. The age of consent is also 13, and the process for having children is outlined below.

Marriage is viewed as a social contract - two people decide they want to be together and can get married. However it is more a symbolic thing than a legal requirement - healthcare, child benifits, adoption rights, birth rights are all available to couples who live together without being married.

The concept of gay marriage and straight marriage does not occur in Pallatium. Since almost the whole of the population is female, the idea of someone marrying the same sex has always been the way. In recent years, with the increased travel and interaction with other nations, women have been known to marry men. As this was not something that was ever historically considered, no law was ever drafted or implemented that prevented it, and no Queen has ever seen the need to enact a law either protecting or refuting the right for differing sexes to marry.

The Goddesses gave the knowledge of same-sex reproduction to The First Queen. Since then every couple has had the right to have children. In order to facilitate this the couple goes to a hospital and are given the procedure for having children. The procedure is never refused to anyone, unless either member of the couple is underage, or the woman who will be carrying the child is medically incapable of going through pregnancy or childbirth.

Every woman has the right to an abortion, however very, very few are performed. Accidental pregnancy is unheard of, as is unwanted pregnancy. The only reason abortions are ever performed are medical - if the life of the mother is in danger and so forth. And while only a doctor is permitted to decide whether it is necessary, only the couple can make that decision.

For the same reasons that abortions are rarely performed, adoption is almost unheard of as well. The only reason adoptions occur is when children are orphaned and so forth. Every couple has the right to adopt a child (once they are both above the age of majority).

Due to the genetic development of the Pallatium female, it is not possible for a Pallatium woman to have a child with a man from another nation without assistance. However the drug that permits two women to have a child together can be used to permit a man and woman to have children together.
Sign up to rate and review this story