Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Boy, The Man, The Beast

A Tale of Two Worlds

by Moonshyne 0 reviews

John Lupin meets Heather Barnes and they make thier two worlds become one.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Warnings: [!] - Published: 2008-06-28 - Updated: 2008-06-28 - 4351 words

2MarySue
He was very nervous for tonight was the night he could only have dreamed of. The only thing in his way was a secret that he had kept from her for over a year. You see John Lupin wasn’t just any other man he was a wizard.

His memories float back to the day when he first visited the shop.

He had just finished his training in the Dai Llwellyn Ward at St. Mungos Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries, working with witches and wizards with serious bites. He was now a healer and was working on a very puzzling case when the head healer Seamus Sheehan walked by. John presented his dilemma to Seamus, who mentioned the little shop in Sheffield. The shop had some herbs not found in either Daigon Alley or Hogsmeade. John had to be careful though, as it was a muggle herb shop.

John went to the shop and never saw anything like it. Not the shop with the expansive green house. It was the beautiful girl behind the counter. She had light brown hair pulled in a ponytail, smooth creamy skin and beautiful hazel eyes.

“Excuse me, I was looking for this herb,” as he handed her a piece of paper.

She turned around and smiled at the sight in front of her. Usually the patrons of the shop were old and middle-aged men and all sorts of women. He was young maybe a year or two older than her, tall, blonde hair, light skin like hers and the most electrifying blue eyes she ever saw.

“I never heard of this herb. Bill,” she called. She never called him dad at the shop.

She handed her father the piece of paper and looked at John shyly. Bill noticed that she had taken a fancy to this young gentleman.

“You must be John Lupin. Seamus told me to expect you and I put aside what you need.”

John was slightly disappointed as he wanted to spend as much time with girl behind the counter. He wanted to at least get her name.

“Heather, would you escort Mr. Lupin to the greenhouse. In the back on the top shelf I set aside a package."

Heather had blue jeans on, which was unusual for a woman in late nineteen fifties. Between the jeans and the t-shirt she wore, every curve was accentuated by the outfit. John just couldn’t take his eyes off her as he followed her to the back room. They got to the back of the greenhouse and found the package on a top shelf. She got a step stool to reach.

“Can I help?”

“No I got it,” she smiled sheepishly at him. She climbed the step stool and reached for the package. But it was slightly out of her reach. She stretched out as far as she could and got it, but fell backwards. John caught her and their eyes met. Both of them felt this surge of electricity flowing through them that could light a city. Neither one felt this way before. He kept staring into those eyes, then finally he closed his, leaned forward and kissed her. He was expecting a slap, when none came he held her closer then finally stood her up and let go.

“I’m sorry I shouldn’t have done that. I never have before.”

She looked up at him nervously, “Do you regret it?”

“No, not in the least. I’d like to take you out some time how about Saturday night eightish?”

“I’ll see if my father can cover for me.”

“By the way my name is John Lupin,”

She smiled “Heather Barnes. See you Saturday at eight then. I live upstairs with my parents so come here.

John got back to work all starry eyed and finding it hard to concentrate. This did not go unnoticed by Seamus.

“John what’s the matter?”

“Do you believe in love at first sight?”

“Of course I do. What witch or wizard doesn’t?

“I think I’m in love or that I could easily fall in love.”

“Finally, who’s the lucky witch anyone I know?”

“I doubt it she’s a muggle.”

“She’s a muggle?”

“Does it really matter?”

“In most cases no. In your case yes. You’ll be a social out cast. The Blacks and Malfoys won’t tolerate it. John your family is from one of the purest bloodlines in England and France. You have any number of witches who would love to marry you. There are probably ten right here in this hospital.”

“I don’t care about blood-lines.”

“Well how bout your children, there’s a chance that they might end up as muggles.”

“And give up all this racism? The wizarding world has so many prejudices its ridiculous. The goblins, centaurs, giants, and house elves are treated like slaves. But the worst is their treatment of werewolves.”

“Come on John, they’re dangerous and infectious.”

“Once a month. The rest of the time for the most part they’re like you and me.”

“But some of them are pure evil.”

“Like there are no witches or wizards like that? How soon we forget, it was less than fifteen years ago that Albus Dumbledore defeated Grindelwald?”

“How could I forget. Albus is one of my dearest friends. Just be careful. If your parents were still alive you would probably keep your station. It’s going to be like you're starting over.”

“First of all it’s only a date, second of all I don’t care. I hate the Malfoys and the Blacks anyway. The Malfoys with their prissy children especially that Lucius. They have him trained well. Am I supposed to marry my second cousin like Orion did? What will their children turn out like? If I marry Heather and we have children they’ll be a heck of a lot better than those pure-bloods.”

“I see it in your eyes it’s not a matter of if you marry the girl it’s when. Despite my ramblings, congratulations. What was her name again?”

“Heather Barnes.”

Seamus shook his head. “I’ll hex you if you hurt her. Her mother and Alicia were best friends. Heather is my goddaughter.”

“Do they know about you?”

“That I’m a wizard? No. Once I married Alicia and we were cast out we lived mostly like muggles.”

“Was it worth it?”

Seamus smile, “Every single day.”

“So you can stop protecting me.”

“I can’t help it. You’re parents would want me to.”

Back at the shop Bill had to send Heather home for the day.

“What’s up with ‘er?” asked her brother Tom.

“I don’t know ever since John Lupin came in.”

Bill decided to call Seamus and find out exactly who John Lupin was. On the way home Seamus stopped at the shop.

“It seems that your daughter has left quite an impression on Mr. Lupin. I have never seen him like this before. His head in the clouds, usually it is always focused on work.”

“How well do you know him?”

“Like a son. Remember a few years back there was a couple killed in an accident while visiting Italy? They left behind their sixteen year old son. He stayed with me until he could claim his inheritance.”

“Yeah, poor kid. That was John Lupin?”

“Yeah. And there is nothing poor about him. He is very wealthy.”

“Can I trust him with Heather?”

“You know I love Heather dearly, and would never do anything to hurt her. She is my goddaughter after all. I’ve known John for all his life and he has never felt this way about any girl. I daresay I think he is in love. In the end you need to let Heather make her own decisions.”

“I just want to protect her.”

Seamus laughed at this. “Bill, John Lupin is nicest person you will ever meet. You’re daughter will be in good hands. Or else I will personally torture him.”

“Thanks Seamus, I feel better about it all.”

Saturday night came and John was a nervous wreck. Seamus told him that he talked to Bill, and he seemed okay with the date. John had never been on a muggle date before and was unsure what to wear. He bought several muggle magazines to try to find a suit that was just right. After transfiguring his robes several times he decided on a deep blue single breasted Oleg Cassini suit. He wore a white oxford along with a dark blue tie and a white hanky to match. The suit looked just like the picture in the magazine. He rented out a large car that muggles called a limousine, and had reservations at the best restaurant in town. John showed up at the shop about seven forty-five, not wanting to make a bad impression on Heather’s parents.

“Where are you taking her?”

“To a movie, ‘The Wizard of Oz’ and I have reservations at Chez Pierre.” This was the most exclusive muggle restaurant around, John also had with him two dozen of long stem roses. One for Heather and another for her mother.

At eight o’clock Heather came from upstairs. She was a vision in her green strapless dress with the flowing skirt. She looked even more beautiful then in the shop. Her hair was down and curled, and her eyes to match her dress perfectly. He loved the way they sparkled. She had the tiniest hint of make-up, it was breath taking. She looked like one of those models from the muggle magazines that he picked his suit from. He could not take his eyes off her.

“Are those for me?”

Finally snapping out of it. “One is, the other is for your mother.”

He handed her a long box she opened it and there were the most beautiful red roses she had ever seen in her life. She said thank you and finally got a good look at John. He was wearing the most exquisite suit she had ever laid eyes on. It was her turn to stop and stare. John gave Heather’s Mom, Anne, a box of long stemmed pink roses, her favorite according to Seamus. Anne thought her daughter looked so beautiful and took pictures before they left. It felt just like the prom only better. He was a doctor not a loser.

“Our chariot is waiting.” Bill looked outside and there was the biggest limousine that he had ever seen.

Ernie got out of the drivers seat and opened the door for Heather and John.

They went to dinner first, had a very delicious meal and generally got to know each other. The check came and John was confused about the muggle money.

“Heather, could you please pay the bill while I go to the men’s room?” He handed her a wad of cash. It was way more than was needed. Not to say the bill wasn’t expensive it was more than she made in three months.

“What time does the movie start?”

“When we get there.”

She thought he must own the theatre in order to have them it start when they got there.

The theatre was empty when they arrived.

“Right this way Mr. Lupin.”

The movie lasted a couple of hours and not at all what he expected. He was embarrassed that he took her to a kid’s movie. He thought it would be a nice scary horror film, knowing that muggles were terrified of witches and wizards. But the movie was actually good and he got to see Heather go through various emotions as they followed Dorothy on her adventure. He couldn’t believe it was all a dream.

Heather turned to John and whispered “Thank you. That is my favorite movie.”

“Anything for you.” He really had to drown his impulse to grab her and kiss her. “Do you want to go home, now?”

“I don’t want this night to ever end.”

“Would you like to go out dancing?”

She smiled. Because John shared a dorm at Hogwarts with a muggle born, he knew all the latest dances. He did however, do his best footwork with the more traditional dances. The club closed at three a.m., and he decided to take her to breakfast. That should keep his lips occupied. He was still trying to resist kissing her. After breakfast he had the driver bring her home. She noticed a park with a playground. “Can we stop?”

“Ernie, please stop.” Heather ran out of the limo and onto the swing. John loved this little girl in her. He stood behind her and pushed. He couldn’t stand it any more. He was falling in love with this girl and wanted a repeat of what happened in the green house. He spotted a quiet section of the park. He stopped the swing took Heather’s hand and escorted her to a park bench. He looked into her eyes, put his fore finger under her chin, lifted her face, and kissed her lightly. The next kiss was more passionate, as if he was never going to taste her again, and he loved the taste of her. He stopped and looked into her eyes.

“I’m falling in love with you and I’m scared. I’ve never been in love before.”

“I’ve already fallen,” she whispered.

And on that bench they professed their love.

Time flew by, and John kept his secret. They had their first date almost a year ago and it is going to be a very special night.

John went to Gringotts, the wizarding bank, took out some money, exchanged it for muggle money and went off to buy the perfect engagement ring. It was three karat diamond emerald cut with emerald trillions on either side. Emeralds because that was the color of the dress she wore on their first date. He then contacted Heather's father.

"Mr. Barnes, I would like to talk to you in person is tomorrow night ok?"

"Yes John that would be fine. See you then."

"Who was that, dear?

"John, he wants to talk to us in person, just us. I guess I should start saving my money."

"How exciting a wedding!!!"

"I really like John, smart, hardworking, honest. No secrets with him."

As the next night approached, John was getting more and more nervous. The talk with Heather's parents went really smooth. He volunteered to pay for the wedding so Heather could have the wedding of her dreams.


He shook himself back to reality and hoped all would go well.

Heather got off work early to prepare for the big date, she wanted everything to be perfect. Her parents hinted it was going to be a big night and she knew exactly what that meant. She went over it in her mind. He got down on one knee telling her how he couldn’t live without her and then proposed. She would pause and give him a disappointed look and then jump up and down and say yes, just scaring him for a second or two. She was wearing the same dress she had worn on their first date. She was excited to wear the diamond necklace and earrings he had given her for Christmas. One more look in the mirror and she was done. Right on time.

When Heather came down John was entranced. She had glow on her face and a twinkle in her eye. However, would that keep when John told her his secret? John was hoping she would accept him and would now be able to understand about the unusual people in her father’s shop. However, he had lied and that may be unforgivable.

They went out to dinner at Chez Pierre. Heather was slightly disappointed that there was no ring, but the night was still young. Ernie took them to the park where they professed their love. She thought it was the most romantic thing in the world. She needed to get a hold of herself, she wasn’t supposed to know. They went to the quiet part of the park as they did on their first date that seemed so long ago and at the same time just like yesterday.

"Heather, I need to ask you question, but I need to tell you something first." Said John nervously.

Heather did not like the way this was going. This isn't what she imagined it would be.

"I love you with all my heart, there is no one I would rather be with. But I have to tell you about a secret I've kept from you this whole time."

Her mind is racing is he married? Can’t he have children? What could it be?

"I'm a wizard."

And she let out a booming laugh. "That's why I love you!!! You know how to lighten up a serious moment. You had me nervous there."

"No I really am."

"Just tell me the truth John, you're married with five children or something like that. Why make up an insane lie???? You don't have to make me think you’re crazy."

"I know the truth matters more than anything else and I am sooo sorry that I have lied to you. Didn’t you notice some of your clientele at work was different?"

She had noticed that the clothes they wore were at times downright hysterical.

"I thought they were beatniks or something.”

“They’re witches and wizards just like me.”

“They’re just crazy people. And the man I love is crazier than they are." Heather sat there and cried her eyes out.

John handed her his handkerchief with the crescent of the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry on it.

She had seen this before on a book a customer left in the store. "A History of Hogwarts" or something like that. She read it and was amused. But really, classes of transfiguration, herbology (though that seemed useful enough), and most of all Defense of the Dark Arts. Stories of ghosts, goblins, and paintings of former Headmasters that give advice to the current Headmaster. Then again where would he get something like this? She never told him about the book. He must have found it and used it to tell her this awful lie. Then she looked in his eyes for the first time since he told her his secret, and found that if nothing else he believed it to be true.

"John I see it in your eyes that you truly believe what you’re telling me is the truth. Don't worry we’ll find our way around this and our love will survive."

"You still don’t believe me?" sighed John. He took out his wand from his sleeve and said "Lumos" and his wand lit.

This intrigued her. The wand was not that of a stage magician. It was wood and had carvings.

"Can you do something else?" she asked.

He saw a bird flying above and waved his wand and said "Immobulis" and the bird stopped mid-air.

She should have been frightened but wasn’t. She made him do spell after spell, and thought she was the luckiest person in the world. She totally forgot to be mad at him for lying.

"John you told me you were a doctor? Does your kind have doctors too?"

"We are called healers and I work for a respectable hospital called St. Mungos."

John, then got on one knee and said "I love you with all my heart and couldn’t imagine my life without you. Will you do me the honor of becoming my wife?"

Heather asked "Is that allowed?"

"It's been happening for years. There are lots of witches and wizards married to muggles."

"A muggle, what is that?"

"A non-magic person"

Now this is more what she like what she imagined, well sort of. She hesitated for a few minutes. He did have to pay for lying after all. After seeing the hurt on John’s face she had enough.

"Of course I will be more than happy to be your muggle wife."

He slipped the ring on her finger, it was a tad too big but with a flick of his wand, it fit.



In the year that they dated John never took Heather to his house. How would he explain the moving pictures, the self washing dishes and the self stirring stews?

“Let’s go back to my house.”

It was a long drive and she knew she would be spending the night and wouldn’t had it any other way. They finally pulled up a couple hours later. It was a grand house with six bedrooms, two living rooms, a huge dining room, a kitchen to die for, a conservatory and a billiard room. There was something else that came with the house Florry, the house elf.

“Florry, I would like you to meet Heather Barnes.”

“Master, the Heather Barnes that you are so in love with.”

Heather was still amazed at all, especially Florry. She had huge brown eyes and the ears. Obviously she had never seen a house elf before, and this one was wearing a maid’s uniform.

“She called you Master is she a slave?”

“I guess you could say she was, but I presented her with that uniform and she was free to go. She decided to stay here. I pay her every week and give her a place to live. Most elves aren’t so lucky. The Malfoy’s treat their elf, Dobby, like trash constantly beating him. It makes me shudder just thinking about it. So what do you think of our humble abode?”

Heather leaned in and kissed him, he was waiting all night for that. As they kissed she took off his jacket and tie and was starting to unbutton his shirt. She had wanted him for so long.

“I want to make love to you tonight.” With that John picked her up in his arms and took her to the master bedroom. The bed was covered with red rose pedals, there were romantic scented candles all over the room. Music coming from who knows where. To top it all off there was a bottle of champagne with two glasses waiting for them next to the bed. It was the most romantic thing she ever saw.

“You had this planned all along?”

“No, but remind me to give Florry a bonus tomorrow along with a raise."

They made love all night long.

The weeks and months went by and they were closer and closer to the wedding. John took Heather to many of the magical places. Her favorite by far was Daigon Alley. It just had so many different things. John had warned her though to never, never go to Knockturn Alley. This is where the shady witches and wizards hung out.

The wedding was on September 6th at five o’clock in the afternoon it was to be a grand affair. All the Barnes close friends and family were in attendance. They of course sat on the bride’s side. On the groom’s side were former classmates at Hogwart’s, Professor Flitwick, Hagrid and Professor Dumbledore from the staff of Hogwarts. There were many staff members from St. Mungos and various prominent witches and wizards. Noticeably missing were the members of the Black and the Malfoy families, but that was to be expected. The witches and wizards were instructed to wear muggle clothing, they had sent them pictures to show the proper attire. The church was decorated with red and white roses and big beautiful white lilies.

At five o’clock Seamus joined John at the alter. John usually calm, cool and collected was a nervous wreck. At five past five the doors flew open and the music began first was her bridesmaids, then her flower girl and last her maid of honor. The doors closed again and the organist started to play The Wedding March. The doors opened and there was Bill Barnes and the most beautiful sight John had ever seen. Heather was a vision sent from heaven. The gown had a fitted bodice with a slightly off the shoulder cap sleeve, the skirt was flowing with a nine foot train. Her hair was in an upsweep and her headpiece included a diamond tiara that John had given to her for her birthday. The veil fit over the train of the gown and the front covered her face so lightly. As she walked down the aisle John had a tear in his eye never loving her as much as he did at this moment. He looked over at Seamus and saw that he had tears in his eyes also. They got to the end of the end of the aisle, Bill lifted the veil, gave his daughter a kiss and gave her hand to John. The service went by so fast and before he knew it the priest announced Mr. and Mrs. John Lupin and he may now kiss the bride. When he kissed her the church went away, he couldn’t hear the loud clapping. All he knew was he was now married to the most loving, caring and beautiful woman on the face of the earth.

John hired out a magical hall for the reception. The magic was very subtle in order that the muggle guests would not get suspicious. After the muggle guests had left the real party began. The hall was transformed into a romantic garden, with an enchanted ceiling, a gazebo, beautiful flowers, a terrace for dancing and a waterfall flowing into a little pond with the most colorful fish. At around three o’clock in the morning there was a silent fireworks display that was like no other. It was a very magical and the best night of her life. It was then that Heather realized that she loved everything about magic, and sad that she could do none of it.
Sign up to rate and review this story