Categories > TV > Supernatural

Dean Has Been One, All His Life

by MylesGabriel 0 reviews

He doesn't need any commendation, Dean has always been one all their lives. And Sammy could easily vouch for that...in more instances than can be counted.

Category: Supernatural - Rating: PG - Genres:  - Published: 2008-07-04 - Updated: 2008-07-04 - 3102 words - Complete

0Unrated
A Good Brother

16-year old Dean Winchester was just pulled aside by his Algebra coach on the way out of his classroom. The bell for dismissal just rang to seal the deal for that day. Dean actually held his breath the second he came face to face with this guy.

He is a guy in his mid-30’s, balding; a cross between Santa Claus and any random plump fellow you could come across at the street or at the mall. His big chubby pink cheeks and eyes that reduce to slits every time he talks, that’s Professor Nico Alba.

Dean just let go of his breath when his professor told him he wasn’t in trouble. He was instead being commended by his school for something he did. Which at that moment the Winchester boy had no idea what yet. He’ll sooner get to find out about it but he has to return to school in a couple of hours since his professors from his other classes along with some of his classmates will be waiting for him at the mess hall.

“Are you sure I’m not in any trouble, Mr. Alba? ‘Cause my dad can’t really be here if ever I was—“

“Son, I assure you that you are in no trouble whatsoever. I just need you to tell me that you’ll be back here in a couple of hours, okay Dean?”

“Yes, sir.”

The professor watched the teenager disappear down the hallway.

--

Dean just came in the front door. The first thing he does the second he got home is look for his little brother. It’s been his routine since they were young. The moment he pushes the door open from wherever he goes, when he comes home--look for Sam.

It’s always Sammy first. It’s always been that way and it’s never going change.

He just came up the stairs and directed to Sam’s room. Knocking twice and then calling out his brother’s name is also Dean’s routine.

“Hey Sammy, I’m home!”

“Dean…”

His little brother’s voice was raspy and weak. Dean immediately scanned the room to look from where the voice was coming from; where his little brother was in the room. The older boy just found a bundle on the long couch at the far end of the room. The bundle was shivering.

“Sammy…what’s wrong?”

Dean was crouching alongside the couch; the older boy just gently touched 12-year old Sammy Winchester’s face. He was warm. The worry in Dean’s face matched with the worry and concern in his voice. “Hey, you’re warm…” The older boy went on to rub Sam’s shoulder gently. “Hey, kiddo were you sick this morning when you went to school?”

“No, I just felt sick after I had my lunch…Dean.”

“Do you want to go to the hospital?”

“I’ll be okay, Dean…just don’t leave me okay?”

“You know I’ll never do that, Sam. When have I ever left you behind?” Dean just took Sam’s face by the chin to make him look him in the face, “When?”

“I guess…never…” Sam smiled warmly, that actually made Dean’s heart smile too.

“Okay, now that we have that straightened-out…let me just get you some chicken soup to get you all warmed up—“Dean started as he was about to get up from the floor but Sam just whined in his bratty kind of way, not the spoiled-brat kind of way that could get anybody up the wall, it’s more like what Dean finds as one of his little brother’s endearing ways.

“I’m not going anywhere far, kiddo…just the kitchen…” Dean smiles ate his brother reassuringly. “You said you’re not going to leave me…I’ve been waiting for you to come home for hours, Dean…just stay here…please? I hate being by myself…”

Dean just gave out a sigh, “Don’t be mad, Dean…”

“Hey…I’m not, kiddo…you know I could never get mad at you.”

“Thanks, Dean. I just hate being alone.” Sam muffled softly. Dean just took a seat on the floor facing Sam, took hold of Sam’s hand in his. “You’re not alone…big brother’s here now.”

Sam gave his big brother the biggest smile he can muster; though weak…the smile was genuine and that made the older boy’s heart smile as well.

“Dean…” Sam just calls out to his big brother who was leaning his back against the couch where Sam was lying across on, bundled under a thick blanket. Sam has moved further towards the edge of the couch so he was actually snuggling against his big brother’s back against the couch. Sam just needed to have contact with his big brother, and it didn’t matter how remote.

“Yeah, Sammy?” Dean was doing his homework.

“Love you…”

Sam could see the outline of Dean’s cheek that was visible to him, his big brother was smiling.

“I love you more, Sammy…” came Dean’s reply.

--

Dean wasn’t able to know what it was that his school was commending him for since that very evening; their dad came home, packed him and Sammy up and drove out of town.

The reason would be that John had finished his job there. They have stayed in that town for over 8 mos. And now it was time to leave. They never thought they had to move again, but they did; uprooted once more.

After that move, Dean had given up the resolve to go to school again since they’ll only leave again in a couple of months.

Dean was never going to find out that the commendation was for being the Best Big Brother in this program that the school had come up with that was aiming to foster camaraderie between students. Dean was the best candidate since he has managed to help the most students that were assigned under their class.

How can he not be one? When he’s been one to Sam all their lives, and that’s commendation or not.

----------


A Good Son


Dean was loading their stuff into the trunk of his ’67 Chevy Impala. His father had just given him the keys to it a week ago and now he’s loading his stuff into it from the motel. Beside the Black Sleek metal that now belongs to the 16-year old is their dad’s equally sleek Black Truck. Both modes of transportation of the Winchesters were basking under the sun in all its Black glory.

John Winchester was still inside the motel room where he left his two boys for a whole two months by themselves while he went on another hunt. He got back earlier just past midnight and was taking a short nap to gather enough strength for his next gig.

“Hey Dean!” Sam cheerfully greeted his big brother. “I’m back! I told you I won’t take long, didn’t I?”

The younger boy was giving his big brother his warm-dimpled smile; in his hand were three ice cream bars. He had just gotten back from the convenience store across the street from the motel. He was in a mood for something cold since the sun wasn’t exactly cutting them any slack with the way it has been heating up everything on its path.

Sam has been complaining of parchness in his throat since earlier, not that he was bitching about it; it was more like a harmless conversation with his brother which Dean read right away.

And Dean, being the good brother that he is didn’t want to keep his baby brother from his childish desires so he gave him some of the money he had saved up from doing errands for the mechanic who needed an assistant in his shop for a whole month just a few blocks from the motel, so his little brother could get himself what he was craving for.

Dean didn’t really want his brother to go by himself, but since the store was just a stone’s throw away and he can see the younger boy from where he was; Dean just said ‘yes.’

“Yeah, I believe you did Sammy!” Dean patronizingly told his brother.

“Here, Dean…” Sam handed one to his brother as he perched himself onto the top step of their motel room. Dean just found a nook beside Sam and both started eating. The older boy elbows his little brother playfully on the arm, “Thanks.”

“What for, Dean?”

“You know what for, kiddo…” Sam smirked as he throws his big brother a glance. “It’s your money, Dean…so technically you shouldn’t be thanking me…I should be thanking you…”

“You were the one who went to the store and bought it, dude!”

“Yeah, but you were the one who worked at the auto shop and gave me the money…”

Dean just ruffles Sam’s hair playfully. “You knew about that?”

“Yeah, Dean…I watch you, you know? You just don’t see me ‘cause I was being stealthy. What you’ve been teaching me all this time has finally been paying off!”

“I believe it has kiddo! But I still can’t believe that you’ve been watching me work?”

“Yup…”

“For how long have you been stalking me though, dude?”

“Since the first day you started, Dean!”

“Hey, you are good!”

“I have a good teacher!”

Sam has finished off his ice cream bar. He just slips his hands into his jacket pocket to get a hanky to wipe his face with when he gets up all of a sudden, “Oh man?”

“What’s wrong with you?” Dean blurts.

“Dean, I’ll just give this to dad…I forgot all about it!” holds up the third ice cream bar he had slipped into his pocket awhile ago and has started to actually melt.

“Go! Go! Go!”

No sooner has Sam left his brother’s side to go inside the motel room when Dean hears the younger boy call him from the doorway, “Hey Dean…”

“Yup?” Dean gets up and turns around to face Sam.

“Dad said he’ll be taking me on a hunt with you tonight…do you think I’m stealthy enough?”

“Yeah…Sammy…”

“Cool!” Sam childishly blurted out, he looked so much younger that his age to Dean. “I’ll be right back, Dean. I’ll just make dad eat this…”

“Make him eat it, alright?”

“Yeah, I sure will!” Sam echoes his brother and with that he walks into the room grinning widely. A few seconds later Sam peeps back out of the doorway, “Dean, you won’t leave me alone on the hunt now, would you?”

“No, Sammy…”

“Not even for a second?”

“Not even then…”

"You Promise?"

"I Promise!"

"Pinky Promise?" Dean just heard Sam softly chuckle.

"I Pinky Promise, Sammy!" The older boy just smirked.

“Thanks, Dean!”

John Winchester’s oldest son was perched on top of the Impala and was staring blankly ahead for almost half an hour. His mind is somewhere else; mostly on the fact that his little brother is going on his first hunt tonight with him and their dad. Dean is worried.

Dean has been on a hunt with their dad for a few times before. The first time he went on the hunt, he had nightmares for a month. He was scared out of his wits but he didn’t tell their dad about it; especially not Sam.

The older boy got a little apprehensive the second his dad mentioned to him earlier that they’re taking Sam on their next hunt. Sam is still 12 years old. Way younger than he was when he hunted for the first time. Dean was 14 then. He wanted to argue about it with their dad but he didn’t. Not once has he ever talked back nor questioned their old man. He does what he is told even if he’s sick, scared or hurt.

When John says jump, he’ll say how high--look before you leap doesn’t apply. It’s shoot first ask questions later!

As much as he is a good brother, Dean is something else too--a good son.

-----

A Superhero

oooooOOO00OOOoooo

John Winchester’s Black truck just pulls out from in front of the motel room he had rented for a month with his boys. A pair of green eyes was watching through the window at the truck as it disappeared down the road.

Dean just let go of the curtain he was holding up to see a better view of his dad leaving barely a few seconds ago. He takes a seat at the edge of the bed near the door; he was facing the other bed further into the room, just beside the bathroom.

He just recalled his earlier conversation with his little brother.

“Dean, I’m really sleepy…but I don’t want to close my eyes…”

“Sammy, why don’t you want to close them when you look like you’re dopey already or something? I can tell that you are sleepy, kiddo…” The older boy said after he craned his head earlier to look at Sam behind him.

“Is dad going to leave soon?” Sam asked randomly.

“Uh-huh, he’s still in the bathroom.”

“Oh…” came Sammy’s soft muffled voice. He was lying on his tummy on one of the beds while flipping the remote. Dean was on the floor leaning against the bed where Sammy was on, he was watching TV. Just then Dean felt warmth by his left ear. The second he turned his head, he realized that his little brother’s face was right there and the warmth he felt earlier was actually his Sammy’s breath.

“You alright there, kiddo?” Dean asks softly; he just leans in and kissed his little brother on the exposed cheek, Sam nods. The older boy went back to watching television.

“Hey Dean…”

“Yeah, Sam…”

“Can I tell you a secret?” Sam said in his big brother’s ear, even cupped his hands into the older boy’s ear.

“What is it?” Dean asks patronizingly also in a whisper.

“Please don’t tell dad, okay?”

“I won’t, Sammy…”

“I’m scared…”

Dean just cranes his neck to look at his brother’s face, his brows by this time is arched on his forehead. “Scared of what?”

“…going hunting again…”

The innocence in the tone and in those brown eyes were enough to melt Dean’s heart.

--

Their dad barely left for another hunt a few minutes ago.

Now as the older boy just sat on their dad’s bed, his eyes just went to pointing towards the occupant on the other bed. A little boy; barely a teen. Not even a teen at all! He’s still 12 years old. Yet he has already had the misfortune of witnessing and acquainting himself with things that make a person know that evil does exist in the world.

The 16 year-old just ran a shaking hand across his face as he gives out a big sigh in chorus. The hunt just went awry two days ago and his little brother almost got killed. John and Sammy didn’t know about it, but Dean did. The incident kept running in his mind over and over like on a big projector.

Dean just got too distracted watching out for Sammy behind him and their dad, that he almost didn’t see the big axe that one of the angry spirits inside the abandoned coal mine was about to thrust into Sam’s head. Dean, since he knew the fact that younger sibling doesn’t have any idea just how different it is to be in the actual field; in the middle of a real hunt, the older boy felt the need to actually watch out for Sammy even more than he already was doing. That ironically almost cost him his little brother’s life.

It was eating him inside though; only himself knowing about it.

The second his head hit the pillow when they got home two nights ago after their hunt; his mind right away decided to play a mean trick on him by painting these mental images of what could’ve happened if he hadn’t caught the axe in time and it did hit his brother’s head. Even the mere thought of losing Sam was excruciating to him, that he actually found himself waking up a few hours later sobbing really hard.

Dean even had to grope the space on the bed beside him to look for his brother and when he did find the younger sibling beside him, since the brothers shared a bed while their dad took the other of the two beds in the room they were renting; he pulls Sam towards him and spent that night hugging around his brother til he fell asleep. He just had to know that Sam was there and only then was he able to convince himself that it was just all a dream.

Ever since they were young it has always been him and Sam. It’s like their conjoined twins only the other one is born four years earlier and also that they aren’t really conjoined.

When they use to live normally in Lawrence, whenever their friends find one in the yard playing on the lawn, they know that they will always find the other one close by, either a few feet away or just beside the other. They’re never away from the other for a long period of time, except maybe when they’re in school, but the very second both get home from school, their inseparable again.

--

Dean is Sam’s big brother, his protector. Technically speaking, he’s practically Sam’s mother and father rolled into one, since their dad is mostly not around.

Sam on the other hand is Dean’s reason for living, for hanging on…Sammy is his life.

One just can’t exist without the other. That’s just how it’s always going to be.

Dean is John and Mary’s son; the perfect big brother to their Sammy.

But he’s more than that to the younger sibling. Cause for him, Dean is more than just a big brother who’s always going to be there for him.

Dean is actually for Sammy--his bigger than life SUPER HERO!
Sign up to rate and review this story