Categories > Original > Fantasy

Death by Midnight

by chibi-neko-chan13 1 review

When two worlds collide, it always spells disaster, especially for these two starcrossed lovers. (It's a short story, so there won't be any more.)

Category: Fantasy - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-07-20 - Updated: 2008-07-20 - 1454 words - Complete

1Ambiance
The moon shone brightly through the blinds, casting striped patterns across the floor. He watched silently as her chest rose and fell, a sign that she was deeply asleep. He opened the window and jumped lightly to the floor. Moving lightly across the room, he gently climbed onto the edge of the bed. She sighed and rolled over. The temptation was almost too much, he could almost hear the blood rushing through the veins under her pale, moonlit skin. He leaned in close and breathed in deeply. A chill of pleasure shot down his spine. He leaned in closer. "Wait." He turned slowly to face the sleeping woman. Her eyes were still closed and she was still breathing evenly. Did he just imagine the voice? He leaned back towards her. "Please?" came the voice again. He froze in place, stunned. "I won't open my eyes in case you decide not to kill me, that way I can't turn you in." He sat back with a mixture of awe and amusement. She knew she was about to die and she was so calm about it, yet she had no idea how dangerous he really was. It would take more than local authorities to stop him. "Why?" he whispered back to her. He knew the obvious reason, she didn't want to die, but she had sparked his curiosity. She smiled. "I have some questions for you." He waited in silence. "I won't ask you anything that will give you away." she said, mistaking his silence for nervousness. "What would you like to know?" "Why did you come here?" He chuckled in amusement. "Well obviously to kill you." "What I meant was why did you come here? Why me?" "Luck of the draw, it's nothing against you." She was silent for a moment. "Why do you kill?" This time he laughed. It wasn't very loud, but it was beautiful, like chimes in the wind. "All I can say is that I hunger for it." The questions went on with 'How many people have you killed?', 'Have you ever been caught?', and more about his homicidal tendencies. He turned to the windowand saw a ribbon of pink showing just beyond the trees. "And now my dear, is it time for me to take my leave. Before I go though, I have one question for you." She sat silently and waited for him to speak. "I won't ask you anything that would give you away." he joked. "Yes?" she answered. "What is your name?" She smiled again. It was such a peaceful smile, that it looked as though she was just having a pleasant dream. "Alaina."
It had been a long day, work had been busy. Alaina yawned and climbed slowly into bed. Just as she closed her eyes, she felt a slight pressure at the end of her bed. "I knew you'd be back." she said calmly. Though he said nothing, she could tell his face held an amused smile. "So what is it tonight, my dear, more interogations?" She nodded. "But these may be a little more personal." He didn't answer. "Is that alright?" "I don't see why it wouldn't be." he said simply. She sat up, but kept her eyes clamped shut, so that maybe he would understand that she still had no intention of turning him in. "What color is your hair?" "Black." "And your eyes?" "Blue." She continued her questions until she found out that he was six feet tall, had a shoe size of twelve, and his favorite color was navy blue. "I have some questions for you now." he said, brushing a stray hair from her face. She shivered. His hands were like ice, but he went on as though nothing had happened. "How old are you?" "I'm nineteen." "How tall are you?" "I'm five feet two inches." "What's your favorite color?" "Dark red." He paused. "Why?" She smiled. "Because it's the most passionate color there is. It's the color of hate, the color of love and you can't have one without the other. I love it simply because it represents the two strongest human emotions that there are." He smiled and stood up. "Once again, I must leave." "I will see you tomorrow night won't I?" For once she sounded unsure of herself. "Yes my dear, I will come again." Then he lept out of the window onto the street below.
"Be warned of unexpected perils that lie within that house." He turned to see an old woman a few paces behind him. He smiled pleasantly. "Good morning to you too Methelda." The woman gave a returning smile and strode to his side. He kissed her hand respectfully. "I am serious about that house. I advise you don't enter it again." "Methelda, she's only a human. Besides, I don't think I'll be visiting much longer anyway." Methelda turned her unseeing eyes away with a grave look on her face. "I was afraid of that."
He crept silently through the window into the empty room. He was early, Alaina was still at work, but he wanted to find out what was so dangerous about this particular human. He rummaged through her drawers. He found clothes, office supplies, and a few photos, but nothing of interest. He jumped as a small gasp of surprise came from the doorway. "I'm sorry, I wasn't expecting you. You're early." He laughed as she clamped her eyes shut and dropped her keys on the ground. He crossed the room in two quick strides and retreaved her keys, then placed them in her hand and folded her fingers gently over them. He led her to the bed and sat her down. "You can open your eyes tonight." he whispered in her ear. Her face flushed pink as the sweet smell of his breath washed over her. She slowly opened her eyes and gasped. There on the bed in front of her was the most gorgeous man she had ever seen. Her imagination never did him justice. His eyes were the clearest blue; his hair the deepest black; his smile...words could not describe. Suddenly, her reaction caught up to her. "I'm sorry! I ddn't mean to be rude, it's just you're so...beautiful." She blushed. He cupped her face in his hands and smiled. "Any more questions for me tonight?" She fought to regain her thoughts, then replied. "J-j-just one." He waited expectantly. "What's your name?" "My name is Mortequai." She repeated it to herself quietly. Then looked back up at him. "I actually have one more question." He raised his eyebrow. "Mortequai, I was wondering what you will do with me now. Your first intention was to kill me, but you allowed me to ask you questions. Now thtat my questioning is finished, what will you do about me." This question caught him off guard. He had come to her house with every intention of finishing the job his curiosity had prevented him from doing, but now he wasn't quite sure. He sighed. "Alaina my dear, there is something I must tell you. I am not what you think I am, I'm not your average murderer, I'm a-" he stopped. She watched him expectantly, but he could not bring himself to finish his sentence. "You're a vampire." she said simply. He was gripped momentarily by shock. "How long have you-?" "Since the first night." she answered before he could finish. "I could just tell that there was something different about you, but I don't care." The room grew quiet and the only sound was the quiet hum of the air conditioner. He turned towards the window. "You have to go don't you?" she asked. The disappointment showed strongly in her deep brown eyes. "I'll be back tomorrow, I promise." He leaned in and kissed her lightly on the cheek. Her face grew warm despite the icey chill of his lips. He glided quickly to the window. "Wait." she whispered. She crossed the room gracefully and stopped in front of him, then thrust herself forward on her toes and kisses him on the lips. "I love you." she whispered into his ear.
Mortiquai paced impatiently in front of his door, waiting for the sun to go down. Finally after what seemed like hours he was able to leave. He walked more quickly down the street, eager to get to her house. He climbed through her window and stopped dead in his tracks. She lay in her bed , too quiet, too still. Her face was pale too and she held a single black rose in her tiny hands. There was a note on her night stand, it read:

Swift is the death at the hands of midnight.
Sign up to rate and review this story