Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Roaring Snake

Actions and Reactions

by maidros 0 reviews

Narcissa's plan comes to the fore and she is countered by Dumbledore neatly. Harry and the Weasleys all have concerns.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Arthur Weasley,Dumbledore,Harry,Lucius,Molly Weasley,Narcissa - Published: 2008-08-03 - Updated: 2008-08-04 - 3692 words

0Unrated
Roaring Snake – 5

(Author's Note: I note that I am taking a little too much time (and expending too many words) before Harry gets to Hogwarts and he can begin acting on his own, in the company of his friends. However, this prelude is required to set the stage for Harry's independence – at least in mind and thinking ability. He will not be a 'Dumbledore's Man'.

However, this chapter is the last of the pre-Hogwarts ones. Harry will board the Hogwarts express in the next. This chapter is necessary to demonstrate to Harry just how much he is becoming a pawn in various hands, and how little the high and the mighty of the wizarding world care about his feelings.

As usual, all criticism is welcome.)

Actions and Reactions

Arthur Weasley tossed a pinch of floo powder into the fire, and called, “Dumbledore's office!”. Putting his head in the fire, he saw the old man sitting calmly in his chair, reading the day's Daily Prophet. A visibly flustered Arthur Weasley indicated the Daily Prophet in the Headmaster's hand as he questioned, “Albus, have you seen the today's article about Harry Potter?”

“Indeed, I have, Arthur. But there is nothing to worry about.”

“Nothing to worry?!!”, echoed Arthur Weasley incredulously. “Albus, I won't be surprised if the entire magical Britain erupts in fury over what is being alleged.”

“Don't concern yourself about the reactions in the magical world, Arthur. Harry's visit to your home has been kept quiet. Leave it to me to handle the Daily Prophet and the public opinion.”

“But are they true, Albus? Do those muggles torture him?”

Dumbledore all but rolled his eyes. “You know better than to take Rita Skeeter seriously. She takes more than a little artistic licence with her articles.”

That was true enough, but the nagging doubt would not leave Mr. Weasley – he had seen for himself the state of Harry's clothes and his meagre possessions. And Dumbledore had not answered his question at all – he had merely evaded it. However, there was no use questioning Dumbledore further – the old man would not give any meaningful replies. He nodded slowly, “Okay, but shouldn't we do something about this article?”

“Arthur”, interrupted the older man kindly. “All has been arranged. Today, it is the birthday of Roderick MacMillan's son. He has invited your family and Harry Potter to attend it.”

Mr. Weasley had always reckoned the old headmaster something mad, but this went beyond all limits. What had the MacMillan birthday to do with the allegations of torture surrounding Harry Potter? He cut in, “Headmaster, please! What does Roderick's son's birthday have to do with Harry or the article?”

“Everything, Arthur. Go there today evening. You will see all for yourself.”

---(Scene Break)---

Harry Potter had just finished reading up the day's Daily Prophet – the article concerning his life story had not escaped him. To say that he was shocked would be a classic understatement. Questions rapidly swirled through his mind, and it bothered him that he had no answer to any of the questions at all. Who had tipped off the Daily Prophet about his appearance? How had they guessed that his home life had been unpleasant, to say the least? How did they know about his ignorance of the Magical world? Even worse, Harry could confide in no adult. He so wanted someone he could trust, someone who would have his interests in mind when they answered his queries, but there was no one he could trust. He sighed inwardly – things may have been much simpler when he was with the Dursleys. However, he had not much time to ruminate over the article, as Molly Weasley called him down to breakfast.

Breakfast was a tense affair, with both the adult Weasleys and Harry being very nervous about the article. Neither of the two adult Weasleys, nor Harry had referred to it, and the younger ones had not yet read the newspaper. After breakfast, Arthur Weasley flooed to his work, while Molly sent her sons out into the garden on some chores and gestured to Harry to follow her. She took him into the kitchen, and began, “Harry, dear, there is an article in the Daily Prophet today ...”

“I know, Mrs. Weasley”, sighed Harry. “I read it.”

“The nerve of the woman! How dare she accuse you and Albus!”, ranted Molly, before calming down and continuing, putting her hand on Harry's shoulder, “Don't be upset, dear. Rita Skeeter never makes anyone look good. No one believes the rubbish she writes.”

At this, Harry felt torn. On one hand, he did not want to become a piteous spectacle, giving unpleasant details about his home life away. On the other hand, he did not like giving a false impression that everything was hunky dory at the Dursleys. He contented himself with shrugging indifferently, “It doesn't matter, Mrs. Weasley.

Mrs. Weasley suggested tentatively, “Harry, child, for the next few days, be careful with your post. Though most people won't believe Rita, a few may. Someone who has read the article might send you dangerous things. Will you please open it in the presence of an adult wizard or witch?”

Harry really did not like others prying into his letters, but there was nothing to be done for the moment and he still retained the decorum of decency as a guest of the Weasleys. He nodded in assent.

“Very well”, continued Mrs. Weasley, breathing much easier, now that the unpleasant part of the conversation was over. “This evening, Harry dear, we have all been invited to the birthday party of Roderick MacMillan's son. I hope you will come with us.”

“Who?”, queried Harry.

“Roderick MacMillan's son, dear. His name's Ernie and he'll be starting at Hogwarts this year. He's invited all of us, and you especially this evening.”

“Mrs. Weasley, who're they and why'd they invite me?”

“The MacMillans were old friends of your father. They heard that you had returned to the Magical world, and wanted to make your acquaintance.”

While Harry was less than impressed with all these 'friends' of his parents who, after ignoring him for a decade, were now crawling out of the woodwork by the score, he had more pressing concerns. Harry had been invited to a wizarding family, and he was painfully conscious of the complete inadequacy of his own upbringing in teaching him the etiquette of the wizarding world. He could probably expect them to cut him some slack, but that would only go so far. He had been diligent about the task suggested by Prof. McGonagall – paying attention to the culture and decorum of the wizarding world, and in the last week, he had read a bit of the basic propriety expected of him on various occasions. Of course, he was still a very long way from affecting the unflappable calm that seemed to flow so easily from a Daphne Greengrass, or the simple courtesy of a Susan Bones, far less the sophisticated charm of a Narcissa Malfoy. However, he had learnt enough in the past week that, with a bit of caution, should keep from making any gross mistakes or outright improprieties. Another matter nagged at his mind – the Dursleys had never taken him anywhere, and consequently, he had only the hand-me-downs from Dudley. He had no clothes that he could wear to a social gathering hosting important people. He hinted as much to Mrs. Weasley. She was more than a little shocked – this episode did indeed seem to give credence to Rita Skeeter's theory. Dissembling her concerns, however, she smiled, “Not to worry, dear. We'll take care of it.”

---(Scene Break)---

Harry was having a very enjoyable evening at the MacMillans. For the first time in his life – at least the first time he could remember – he was wearing new clothes. The ocean blue robe that Mrs. Weasley had got him really was most becoming and Harry was the centre of attention in the party, even though it was Ernie's birthday. His hosts were an old and rich pureblood family that was celebrating the birthday of their youngest representative in style. He had been introduced to a blond, and stout boy of his age – Ernie – and found him pleasant company. There were a couple of friends and cousins of Ernie MacMillan and all in all, it was a very pleasant evening. The MacMillans were interested in Harry's life with muggles, while Harry found the novelties of the Magical world equally entrancing. The party had gone on smoothly and pleasantly, when a pockmarked and silver haired elderly man, introducing himself as Elphias Doge, Ernie MacMillan's maternal grandfather, cornered Harry. He smiled, “I take it you are enjoying yourself, Harry?”

Harry nodded, a questioning look in his eyes, as the older man continued, looking down kindly at the boy, “It's been more than ten years since I last saw you. Your parents would be proud of the young man you have become. How have you been?”

“I've been staying with the Weasleys, Mr. Doge. They've been very kind to me.”

“Ahhh – the Weasleys”, repeated Doge with a distant expression, as though he were savouring an old memory. “Are the twins still terrors?”

Harry smiled, a genuine smile, “They play more pranks in a day than I've in my life.”

“Good”, the elderly wizard beamed down at Harry. “I'm glad that you're not letting the lies the Daily Prophet printed worry you.” Although he made that a statement, the look in his eyes were asking Harry a question. Harry sighed, “Why can't they leave me alone? Why should they pry into my life like this?”

The older man laughed slightly, “Harry, you are a very famous person, and famous people are always newsworthy. If you cough, they'll print about a nasty cold bothering the famous Harry Potter.”

Harry turned scarlet, but he was also resentful, and upset about the whole state of affairs. Getting the hint, Elphias Doge immediately changed the topic of conversation. They talked a bit about Harry's parents and touched more on Harry's more pleasant moments in life, especially his primary school, rather than dig into his unpleasant home life. Harry was pleased with the older man – here was someone who, rather than either offer sympathy or commiseration over his state of affairs, was actively trying to get Harry to focus on the more pleasant moments of his life. Finally, the party came to an end, Harry, the MacMillans and Elphias had a picture of them taken and Harry returned to the burrow with the Weasleys.

It was the next day that Harry would find out the reasons for Mr. Doge getting Harry to relive his happier moments for him. Betimes, next morning, he was downstairs and picked up his copy of the day's Daily Prophet, Skimming through it idly, Harry's attention was immediately riveted by another article regarding him. While it was not quite front page news the previous one had been, it contained the picture of Harry, the MacMillans and Elphias Doge in an inner leaf. Beneath it was the fateful article:

Boy Who Lived Slandered and Misrepresented?
By
Elphias Doge

Yesterday, the Daily Prophet had reported that the Boy-Who-Lived may be mistreated by his muggle guardians. Knowing both Albus Dumbledore, and Lily Potter personally, this author was loath to believe that either the Headmaster of Hogwarts or the family of Lily Potter would be cruel to the saviour of the wizarding world. Deciding to verify the allegations about Mr. Potter's situation, I sought and easily managed to meet Mr. Potter.

Seeking his reactions to the article, this author met Mr. Potter at the home of Lord Roderick MacMillan, who was celebrating the birthday of his son, Ernie with the friends of the lad. Mr. Potter's well-wishers will be pleased to know that he is perfectly healthy and happy, and that all his needs are being met very well. At the party, Mr Potter, dressed in ocean blue robes (see picture above), was the model of propriety, grace and etiquette, putting to rest all speculation that he is untrained in the ways of the Wizarding world. His charming manners certainly won the respect of his hosts, and Lord MacMillan remarked to me later that he had rarely seen such a well mannered and polite boy. He was even gracious enough to stand with the MacMillans and me for a photograph.

Mr. Potter expressed his serious displeasure about the Daily Prophet reporting rumour and hearsay, confirming that the author of the previous article never approached him for an interview, choosing instead to rely on second hand information and rumour. He also refuted allegations of an unhappy home life, and insinuations about his unfamiliarity with the Magical World. Indeed, he went so far as to relate to me a number of his happy memories during the last ten years. Judging from Mr. Potter's behaviour, this author can testify that Mr. Potter's knowledge of our ways is no idle boast, and that he has been remarkably well trained. Mr. Potter, who is currently staying with unnamed friends in our world, said that he understood the need for secrecy where he was concerned, and expressed a deep desire that the august newspaper respect his privacy. I can only hope that the both the Daily Prophet and the author of the article casting aspersions on the ability and politeness of Mr. Potter and his guardians are gracious enough to apologise to them.

Harry's mind had gone numb, as he crumpled the paper in his fist. White hot fury erupted inside him as he realised how the conversation with Elphias Doge had been used, and how he had become a tool in the hands of the various people in the Magical World? How could the old man have done this to him – and that without even having the courtesy of informing what he was doing? Why couldn't the infernal busybodies leave him alone?

His anger, however, was replaced by an almost insensate suspicion, bordering on paranoia, of everyone in the Magical world? Was all that kindness and sympathy of the MacMillans false? Was it all done merely that the previous article in the Daily Prophet could be refuted? But why? What had they to gain or lose from the previous article? Harry wondered bitterly how many of the others, apart from the MacMillans had ulterior motives. He had met several people in the wizarding world who had been kind and helpful – Mr. Goldstein, Prof. McGonagall, Prof. Quirrell, Mme. Bones, the Malfoys, and so many others, not to mention the Weasleys. But how many of them had his welfare in mind, and for how many was he a pawn on their chessboards? Unbidden, Minerva's words came to the fore in his mind, 'You need to be careful, child. People will try to control you, to manipulate you. You need to understand the wizarding world very well. Even those who are not your enemies and mean you no harm have their own goals as far as you are concerned.' Yes, that was true enough – but he needed an adult figure he could trust to tell him the truth, and he lacked one. Books would only get him so far, and in any case, books had authors who manifested their own prejudices. The other muggle-born students were probably unbiased as far as he was concerned, but they were much in the same state as he was and knew precious little about the Magical world. He would have to verify everything everyone told him. There was no taking anything for granted.

Harry leant back in his chair, and sighed wearily. He needed desperately to find out the people who were behind these manipulations and what their goals were, but there was no way of detecting it – or was there? He thought of cloistering himself away, but that would probably never work – he was an icon, and icons were never left alone. His experiences told him that much – he would always be the centre of attention. Then, a thoughtful frown flittered across his face. If he could not have one single adult who would tell him the truth always, he would have to enlarge his circle of 'friends'. He would hear things from a lot of people, and Harry's experience with falsehood told him that its success depended on lack of knowledge of the intended target. By increasing his inflow of information from the present small bunch to a large group, he would be able to improve his powers of corroborating the information people fed him. It was inconceivable that all of them were in league with each other and would lie on the same points. By finding out the lies and tracing it to their authors, Harry was reasonably confident that he would be able to figure out what their agendas were.

That resolution made, Harry decided to write to Justin, Draco, Ernie, Daphne, Susan and Anthony about the various questions he had been having in his studies, besides soliciting the help of the Weasleys. Over the previous week, he had started reading up the various books on history and culture suggested by his professors and those who had met him in Diagon Alley on his birthday, and he had come across a number of points where he found himself in doubt. By penning his doubts in his studies to the various people, he would get answers from the different people, and the various answers would make it easy – easier than it was currently – to verify. He mopped his brow. Life was never easy.

---(Scene Break)---

Arthur Weasley and his wife had just read the article, and Arthur had been rather horrified seeing how he had been used in the game of Dumbledore. That the crafty Headmaster had engineered this particular article, Mr. Weasley had not the shadow of a doubt. He remarked to his wife, “Molly, are we doing the best we can for Harry?”

“What do you mean, Arthur?”

Arthur narrated his previous day's experience with Dumbledore. However, Molly was supportive of the Headmaster's actions. “Arthur, we'd to put an end to Rita's lies. Dumbledore's arranged that – I, for one, am glad he did.”

“But Molly ...”, began Arthur.

“Arthur, Albus knows what he is doing. I'm sure he had good reasons for putting Harry with those muggles. Besides, you know that woman – she never makes anyone look good.”

All that was true, but the vague feeling of becoming a mindless pawn on a chessboard, did not leave Arthur Weasley. He would try to watch out for Harry's welfare, as much as he could.

---(Scene Break)---

Albus Dumbledore smiled, popping a lemon drop into his mouth, as he read the article by Elphias Doge. It was fortunate that Hagrid had noticed and mentioned Narcissa quizzing Harry about his history with the muggles. From the moment he had learnt about Narcissa's interest in Harry's home life, he had been able to surmise the Malfoys' plan to 'liberate' him from the Headmaster's clutches, and to disgrace the great Albus Dumbledore publicly. Therefore, he had acted fast and put Harry with the one family he could trust to follow his agenda for the Boy-Who-Lived, the Weasleys. From then on, it was only an eventuality before someone wrote about Harry's unhappy life in the muggle world. For Dumbledore, it could not have come at a better time than just before the birthday of young MacMillan. He had sent Elphias Doge to meet up with the boy – whose invitation to the party, the Headmaster had arranged – and had him scotch those rumours before they could gain widespread credence. With the picture of a happy and healthy Harry Potter with the MacMillans in the Daily Prophet, it would be more than enough to quash the credibility of Rita Skeeter's article. Getting the Daily Prophet to print the Elphias' article had been a trivially easy matter. He had suggested to Fudge that it would not make the Minister look good either if it came out that the Ministry had been indifferent to the needs of Harry Potter and the Minister had fallen over himself to .. persuade the editor of the newspaper to publish Elphias Doge's article, which the man had done with alacrity. The old man hoped that the Malfoys would abandon this plan, at least for a while. If not they would find that the wily Headmaster had other strings to his bow. He had invested too much in Harry Potter to concede him to the others.

---(Scene Break)---

Narcissa had just finished breakfast when Lucius first broached the most recent article. “Looks like your plan didn't work all that well”, he remarked coolly.

Narcissa did not bat an eyelid. She spoke almost indifferently, “Did anyone know about the plan to write about Harry's life story?”

Lucius was instantly defensive, “My contact in the Ministry would never have betrayed me to Dumbledore.”

Narcissa nodded. “It must have been Minerva or the oaf, Hagrid, then. They probably reported to the old man my interest in Potter's relationship with the muggles.” She stretched out her feet.

“What now?”, questioned Lucius.

“Until Potter turns up at Hogwarts, there's nothing we can do. We can't meet him, nor send him a letter, so we'll have no proof about our claims. Just suggest to Rita that she should do a bit more digging around Harry Potter, in particular, try to get an interview with him. It should be manageable once he comes over to Hogwarts. In the meantime, I'll tell Draco to get on Potter's good side and persuade him to give Rita an audience.”

Lucius looked thoughtful, “Could you be wrong about Potter's muggles?”

“I am certain that I am not”, returned Narcissa, quiet assurance lacing in her voice. Seeing Lucius' expression, she continued in a rather steely voice, “Lucius, getting Potter out from under the old man's thumb is not remotely easy. Don't expect the easy victories of the Wizengamot here. We are facing the most formidable force in our world – Albus Dumbledore.”

Lucius nodded, and the couple separated.

---(End of the Chapter)---
Sign up to rate and review this story