Categories > Original > Mystery > ID Alpha: Cyprus

ID Alpha: Cyprus

by Shank 0 reviews

A major assignment is needed to make sure there is no war in Europe. The only person to catch the elusive Anarchy the criminal mastermind is Detective Alpha who is a genius, but can he conquer his ...

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Drama - Published: 2008-07-31 - Updated: 2008-08-01 - 5069 words

0Unrated
On a global network with connections to particular people worldwide-a satellite conference so secret, only a handful of people within a given country knew of its existence. To take part in it was of another scale, that even the President, King or Head of State didn’t have the authority to be involved with. It was a monthly meeting via video links to unknown representatives around the world concerning the law enforcement issues from around the world at the highest level of intelligence. To keep their identity and often their country a secret, every person would hide their face either by shadow or a blur and change their voice via the computer so their features or accents could be traced back to their nation. Although these meetings were concerned with bringing down the biggest threats to justice active on the planet with the purpose of an immense amount of cooperation between them, these meetings often had darker undertones. These meetings were run on distrust and trickery by each representative to gain power on an economical and sometimes military level.
In one of these countries, a man sat at his computer ready to take part in another meeting. He had no worry of being located as his superiors had paid for the technology to decrease then frequency output so as to blend in at his own house. This way, it would seem to anybody that may possibly be looking and pinpoint the representatives location from inside the country, that there is no large amount of data being received and sent and would look like an average person merely surfing the web. The rep was nervous again as the last couple of conferences had called for his involvement quite a bit. Finally, the meeting was officially called into session and they quickly went over some stats over some Civil War issues in Sri Lanka and some updates on gang violence in LA. It wasn’t long before once again the topic turned towards him. One of the unknown people spoke up, “So is there anything else we should discuss before we recount this Agent Alpha?”
“It seems he is the only thing everybody wants to talk about,” he replied, hinting they should cut the small talk. As if waiting for the opportunity, somebody else jumped in with what they had to say, “We shouldn’t trust a man that does not even release his name to the public.” The rep at his computer smiled as they had gone over this a number of times already. This Agent Alpha from his country was needed on something urgent and he knew the reason why nobody else wanted to use him because it meant their country isn’t kept in as tightly on the loop in a few ongoing matters. The rep did know who Agent Alpha was, but there was no way he was going to release it, even if asked. He was a trump card of theirs to gain some favour within these meetings and as a rather small and isolated country he was representing-they relished their chances to use a source like this. He wouldn’t get long to enjoy his pride though as a member began talking with what he could almost make out as an American accent. He spoke directly to the one that had lost their patience, “We have already discussed the details of using Alpha and the Australian rep and his team have very smartly kept the identity of him from us for a few reasons. Firstly, they will use him to gain authority and power amongst these meetings as we are all trying to do. Secondly, this man doesn’t want anybody knowing who he is so if they upset him then they may repel him from helping them any further which would obviously be of detriment to them and all of us considering the record he has thus far. Thirdly the fact that we do not know who Anarchy is and how he has eluded us so far may suggest he has links with somebody in this very conference now and therefore would place possibly the only one that could help us at a great risk.” This got a little bit of chatter among all the people in the conference and the Australian rep sent his thanks out to whoever had said this even though he did not mean it. Whoever had said that little speech had made it seem like they were offering their help and support, but was really taking it out from underneath him. The gains the Australian rep had made by keeping Alpha’s identity unknown thereby having a bit of status over the others, this guy had just cast doubts in all of their minds about him, which meant they would be more wary of anything he said anymore. An advantage he liked about Australia in these meetings is that they were often the ones that nobody expected or realised, almost like an out of sight out of mind competitor. This guy had at least missed one, which may have been intentional or accidental, but that was keeping his identity secret so no other intelligence agency could buy his assistance. Each member used mind games, tricks and arguments to benefit their own country in some way. Each person trying to decipher where everyone else was coming from and work out what their agendas were, which wasn’t easy from the voice modifiers people used. All of this was done in conjunction with having to come to unanimous decisions about what the correct step to take was in ay given situation of law enforcement. There could only be little trust when nobody knew who they were talking to, but these issues would have to be overcome to capture this fugitive. He had been on the run for a relatively short while but all of them were worried about this one at what he had accomplished in such a short time and how much of an empire he was already building. It was another minute before the chatter died down and the Australian rep informed them he had some more video for them to watch to prove Alpha was the right person for the job. He loaded the video to the server and clicked play so that all could watch.
The footage began with what appeared to be filmed off a hidden camera somewhere on someone’s body. It may have been a button camera, but most likely a pen. It was in a car so it was quite dark and lighted better when the car passed under streetlights. They could hear the engine going, but there was no talk in the car. The driver had the camera on him and he made no attempt to communicate with the passenger next to him. Whenever the camera looked at the passenger-people noticed his face had been blurred. It wasn’t long before the car stopped and the cameraman got out of the vehicle in a deserted looking street. “It’s quiet tonight,” the cameraman said which were the first words spoken wince the footage started.
“It is quiet out here and people are too scared to come out and are too nosy to stay away from their windows.” The camera looked around at the houses, but it was too dark to notice anybody peering out at them. The street was poorly lit and very quiet with only some distant car sounds being evident and gave it more of a menacing look than it was. As they walked towards a house that police tape could be made out on, the cameraman got a good position behind the other dressed as a civilian. They ducked underneath the tape at the bottom of the driveway and made their way up towards the garage and front door. The camera showed this man looking around as if solving a puzzle in his head from what he could see and the man with the camera tried to aim the camera wherever the other looked. When they reached the garage, the cameraman bent down and lifted the door up while the other stood there and didn’t even take his hands out of his pockets. Once the door was opened, two torches were turned on and looked through the garage. It was very neat, with everything being in place. The shelves were sorted very well and the garden tools were clearly separated from the power tools. The extra bookshelves were also sorted extremely well. “Almost looks to clean doesn’t it?” said the cameraman.
“You would think so, but I’m not so sure. Those bits of rubbish on the ground right next to the bin could have been in it and then it would have been perfect.” They closed the garage and continued towards the front door where the cameraman once more held the door open for the other and received no thankyou in return. He did however turn and face the cameraman all of a sudden and reach over to switch the light on in the house. “Before you say anything, I am not going to join the force.”
“I wasn’t going to,” the cameraman replied.
“Yes you were.”
Well…it would make things much easier rather than sneaking you around and hiding your existence to those that ask.”
“You do things your way as the police captain and I will do things my way, if you do not like my way than I will not act as your consultant on these cases that you incompetent police cannot do yourselves. For the millionth time, I want no part of the force.” His agitations clear in his words as if he had faced these pleas a number of times already. The man stopped about three steps away from the door he just entered in and didn’t move from his spot. “Don’t you want to inspect the crime scene?” The police captain said and when he received no answer he let it go. He was very used to the attitude this guy displayed and must have felt it was worth putting up with and keeping the secret of his real identity for his consultation. He had learnt to trust his judgement and waited on the one he was referred to as ‘Alpha’ to speak. He didn’t move for sometime, looking up and down and around the rooms. “Can you read the case file please”, he finally said.
“Man found dead in apartment. Two shots-one shoulder and one chest. Wife is spared with a smack to the head as she was on the phone with the emergency call operator which rendered her unconscious till the police arrived. Jewels and some money missing suggest a robbery gone wrong.” Alpha stopped him there as he had heard enough, “That is not what happened.”
Alpha was looking around the apartment while the camera followed his head movements. The living room was in a mess like somebody had gone through it looking for something, with most of the objects being turned over. From where they both stood, they could not only look out over the living room, but also the kitchen/dining room which happened to be the crime scene. Tables and chairs were upturned in obvious signs of a struggle, the kitchen drawers and cupboards were opened like somebody had gone through them. The sink and basin were clean with only a glass drying on top and a tea towel in a heap on the floor. He finally spoke making the captain become livelier in his movements, “You can call off any search for the culprit because the wife did this.”
Everybody still in the network meeting watching this via the footage said nothing as they were absolutely astounded at how he had come to this conclusion so qui9ckly and without even walking a few metres away from the front door. They didn’t want to say anything though as they were worried they may have missed something.
“The crime scene is deceptively clean. The living room may be a mess and also a hidden camera in that bookshelf over there.” The camera turned to the bookshelf and the police captain who wasn’t ready to hear about hidden cameras could only muster to say, “Hidden camera huh?” when the camera went back to the kitchen as the crime scene, it was then more noticeable it really wasn’t that messy except for the obvious attempts to make it look messy. Drawers pulled open and cupboards ajar, but the bench tops were shiny and there was no dirt on the ground. “So the wife killed the husband and cleaned the evidence?” the captain said hopeful he had it right. “No. Judging by the garage, the husband was a clean freak, you say he worked from home didn’t he?” The captain confirmed his question and Alpha continued. “I also believe he had this place tidy for a mistress of his he was having an affair with. The wife must have known, which explains a hidden camera that was once over in the bookshelf with a perfect view of the back door. What this means is that it was already clean and she has done a poor job of making it look messy. The living room she done a good job of making it a robbery scene is a distraction from the crime scene. Why would criminals search kitchen drawers and cupboards?”
“But how do you explain how she was found unconscious when the police got there after she called them herself?”
“Well I do know she must have got that nasty bruise on her face from a struggle so she needed a way to explain it. When I saw the single cup on the basin I came to the conclusion that she must have taken some sleeping pills and timed it very well to call the police. She faked like she had been hit during the call and then went gracefully to sleep, making it appear she had been knocked out when help arrived.”
“So where do we get the evidence to get her for it?”
“Well, there were two murders here today. She wanted the mistress dead too, which is most likely where the struggle came from. She shot the husband from extreme anger and couldn’t risk firing her gun anymore as it would alert the neighbours so it would have been a bit more gruesome the way she died. You will find the murder weapon; her body and the apparently stolen jewels buried either underneath the house.”
“You know that how?”
“She couldn’t be seen burying something in her yard and had no time to drive it somewhere desolate. She used a shovel from the garage and struggled to reach the top rack where it was held which explains the bits of garbage next to the bin that she stood on to get to.”
“Good job once again Alpha.”
“Can I go home now?” Alpha said dismissing the compliment he just received and the camera footage showed them both walking out of the house and back down towards the car. The Australian rep also ended the footage here and all watching erupted in clapping and cheering for what they had seen. None could say that Alpha was no the man for the job. “This once again proves Alpha’s worth and we will recruit him as soon as possible.” The meeting finished up and the Australian rep was relieved that nobody had asked to see the rest of the footage as it was potentially troubling. He played it on his own computer to watch it for himself once more.
The footage went back to the car where they were once more driving home in silence. The car came to a stop at a location he knew was not Alpha’s place. It seemed his distrust for almost everyone made him take an elaborate number of measures to be left alone and once of them was being dropped off in random locations before making his own way home. The footage showed though that it had been switched and it was now Alpha who held the camera and watched the captain drive off. The camera turned towards Alpha’s face which was blurred but the rep had seen it anyway. “I waste my time helping you police that cannot do anything by yourself and you spy on me. What did you want me to think when the captain has a pen in his front pocket yet uses another one? You obviously don’t think much of me and if you want me to help you I suggest not doing this again and I know this wasn’t the captain’s idea.” It was here the footage was stopped as Alpha had destroyed the spy pen camera.
The Australian rep could not show the others that as they would question these paranoid statements. Alpha came with his problems and he had to keep these problems from the rest of them for as long as possible.


The next morning Alpha woke up to another average day, as he leant his arm over to turn his alarm off, he knocked his pills off the chest of drawers and stumbled out of bed. He went out to the kitchen where the sun was shining in through a window and he turned on his television before pouring himself some cereal. The morning news was on and it seemed the case he had helped with last night had already been wrapped up when the supposed stolen items, the murder weapon and the body of a woman was found underneath the house. Indeed a clever cover up, but not enough to get away from Alpha who wondered how everyday people could find ingenious ways to get away with murder when confronted with the situation. People were always killing each other and committing crimes since the beginning of time and it wasn’t going to stop soon, which meant more money for Alpha as he helped the police in their cases. He was about to turn it off when another story came on he had been following in the news. One of the other police units had been following a string of gang related offences and were interviewing with the undercover officer leading the case. He had his face shadowed and voice changed, but he had a very distinguishable attitude. He was headstrong and arrogant and talking about their success after a gun fight had exploded between the police and the gang, losing all of their suspects and putting one of their own in the hospital. Alpha laughed, this wasn’t success, if this cop knew the first thing of strategy, they could bought justice without anyone getting hurt. Whoever this guy was didn’t deserve to wear the badge. His mind reminded him that he shouldn’t be judging anybody in the first place for this though.
Once he switched it off, he picked up a couple of things ready to take with him to his newsagent store and before he would leave his phone began ringing. This wasn’t an ordinary call as he didn’t have a mobile phone of his own because he didn’t have anyone to call; this one was given to him by the police captain. Alpha answered it, “You need more praise for catching the killer?”
“You are going to have two suited men show up at your house, please go with them. You have my word that you can trust them.” The phone hung up and sure enough when Alpha opened his front door there were two suited men waiting for him. Alpha became a little irritated as it seemed the captain hadn’t kept his confidentiality a secret for his assistance, but he knew how much the captain needed him and therefore wouldn’t divulge his information to just anybody. “You are needed to come with us right now.” Alpha felt his stomach turn over, the medication he had before going to sleep was still making him a little groggy but once it wore off he was going to become a nervous wreck. He followed them down to a black van parked in front of his house and got in. He had never seen these men before and believed they were most likely from ASIO-the Australian spy association. “I suppose some identification is out of the question?” He didn’t get an answer back and was seated in the back of the car.
As they were driving Alpha’s mind running through various thoughts but first things first, he wanted to figure out who these guys were and who they worked for and there was a fairly easy way of doing it. They had pulled up to a set of traffic lights and the suited men up the front hadn’t said a word, not even to each other. The car had no mess in it and an aroma that naturally made you feel more aware and awake. The look of the windows looked like they were bullet proof and if he still wasn’t a little groggy from his meds the night before he would be a little more anxious than he was now. Still, he slowly reached into his jacket and before he could make a move both of the drivers’s had at least put one of their hands to their belt. “Before you take whatever it is out of your pocket, know that our orders are to bring you-your condition was not specified. We are arriving at the police headquarters you work as a consultant for very soon.” He smiled and slowly pulled his hand out bringing a handkerchief with it. He didn’t need it but he wiped his nose in victory of having tricked the two suits. These guys were not the average police that were able to notice his movement while still apparently looking ahead. Knowing they had been tricked, the two suits said nothing more.
Alpha was surprised to see they actually did take him where they said they were going and he felt a little calmer as he was quite familiar with this precinct. He was taken inside and saw there was a mix between the regular officers and suited men all in their own little segregated groups around the room. They all stared at him as he entered in awe of his presence, but that wasn’t the concern now. Something big was happening and Alpha was somehow involved in it. Without having a lot of time to have a look around he was escorted straight through to one of the interrogation rooms and seated. He had never been in one of these rooms before, especially in the position that he sat in right now and he could already feel the pressure the room places on him as he saw the one sided window and the lamp on the table. Soon enough he was joined by some more officers, only recognising one of them as the precincts captain he dealt with on various cases. The captain nodded and looked as if he would have liked to have spoken to him but didn’t have the authority when in the company of the other guy who looked very important by his attire. “Detective Alpha you are needed for a top priority assignment your captain has recommended you are right for something like this.”
“So a local police captain has a say for a top priority assignment-do you honestly think I am that stupid? Not a good start lying to me off the bat.” The man was taken back by this not being used to having people disagree with him. Instead of arguing back he chose to ignore this and continue on, “There has been a murder in Cyprus with links to an international criminal mastermind.” It must have been very recent, he had always tried to keep up on matters in Cyprus but he hadn’t heard about this. He was also interested about this international criminal and what he had to do with it. “We want you to solve the murder and hopefully link it up with any plans this international criminal has for the country.”
“Why would a criminal stick around after committing the crime? It doesn’t seem like something a criminal mastermind would do.”
“There is no doubt that there are plans in store for Cyprus so would you please listen.” Alpha had given his attention which was appreciated by this high level man. “This criminal we need you to catch goes by the name of Anarchy. He has ties to a lot of many people that can help in his continuous attempt to topple the stability around the world. We know Anarchy is aligned with some terrorist groups, governments, organisations, thieves and so many more. We do not know exactly who his followers are which is of a growing concern. From what we can tell, he is your equal in the criminal underworld.” This was a very big statement, but this man seemed quite confident in saying it. “He has plans for Cyprus that is the only intelligence we have received and is how we know the Greek Cypriot Ambassador’s death is linked to a future plan for Cyprus.”
“Can’t you get someone like a proper agent from anywhere; I mean the US would have more qualified people wouldn’t they?”
“Using you is of great dissatisfaction to the US and Britain, but there are very high levels of law enforcement that have decided for your use. Your quality has been watched in the field which means you have the responsibility of stopping these atrocities because you are the only one who can. Lastly, your ancestry, being Greek Cypriot was the point in your being put in this mission.”
“So I guess this is showing me how much research you have done on me then to know that an I assume you know my name then?”
“That is right, but we will not use it here.” Alpha was angry that his suspicions were right. He had always tried to shake off his instincts as paranoid and illogical but the fact he was being watched made him feel like crap. This last thing had made up Alpha’s mind in taking on this case, he stood up from the chair, “Not interested.” He proceeded to walk towards the door where he was blocked by the unknown man. “You have no choice, asking you was a courtesy which you are not showing a lot of right now. It is only from your impeccable record that you are not in jail yet from your various other moneymaking schemes. We know you use very complex but successful tactics from betting and gambling plays.” Alpha was taken back by this for a second. His plans had been worked out so well with aliases that could very minimally be traced back to him. The very fact they knew this showed how high up in government and intelligence they were, but Alpha couldn’t let this man get the better of him just yet. “You wouldn’t have found out about it if you weren’t following me in the first place.” The government agent smiled for the first time in their conversation. He seemed to quietly admit this to him without saying a word and beckoned Alpha to go sit back in his seat which he did so.
“So I’ll be supplied with everything right?”
“Of course, you and your partner will be-”
“No partner will be fine thanks,” he interrupted.
“It is not your choice; this has also been decided way outside your control.” Another man entered the room Alpha had never seen before. he sat down with a stupid grin on his face, “I’m A-”
“Don’t tell me your name I don’t want to know it.” The suited man would break the silence between everyone in the room, “He has proven himself useful undercover bringing down a large gang in Western Sydney.”
Then it hit him, the news report he had seen that morning. The cocky cop he had been laughed at. in disgust he stood up, “You cannot be putting me with this guy; he will get us killed the second we get out of the airport.” The guy had an obnoxious smile, which at this time was annoying Alpha a lot. How could he have got onto something this important with him, “It is a pleasure the great Detective Alpha has heard of me.”
“Don’t flatter yourself; you do not know the first thing about being an officer.”
“Coming from the person that inspects the crime scenes after everything is all safe,” he replied giving him nothing to say. Alpha hated being outsmarted and he couldn’t help but admit defeat in this short banter bout. It seemed this officer had a few surprises up his sleeve. He was still smiling, “Should be good to learn off somebody of your stature, maybe I can teach you a few things as well.” Alpha had nothing else to say and got up from his chair and left the room, this time not being obstructed by anybody. He was chased down by the captain who seemed to be a little sympathetic but also hopeful, “Something like this could only have someone like you on it. Just think that with all these bastards killing people around the world who are innocent, there could be family over there that gets hurt in all of this.” The captain had played a good card on this one. It was wasted a little bit being used on Alpha as emotions were quite difficult for him to obtain but it was his sense of morals that he knew he needed to go. His Greek was rusty and he hadn’t travelled in a while, but he supposed he could do it one last time before moving away to a retirement place. He may be the youngest one there by 20 to 30 years, but it would be so quiet, he would never get pestered by anybody and spend his days betting, gaming and playing board games against people. “I guess I should go pack my things then.”
Sign up to rate and review this story