Categories > Original > Drama > The Stupid Boy and the Outsider

Chapter 18

by joy2008 2 reviews

The Stupid Boy and the Outsider Chapter 18

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-09-11 - Updated: 2008-09-12 - 2282 words - Complete

0Unrated
Chapter 18

Jackie's been over a lot the whole weekend. We were in a fight, she wasn't supposed to come over and hang out with my brother. She's probably just doing it to make me jealous. Well two people can play that game. Every time she came over I always asked Kristine to come over.

It was Sunday and Kristine and I were walking into the living room where Jackie and Kevin were in one of their guitar lessons or whatever they were doing.

"So, Jackie," Kristine said as we sat on the love seat. "I saw your name on the sign up sheet for that singing contest." I didn't know Jackie could sing.

"Umm... yeah, I'm planning on auditioning," Jackie said looking a little nervous.

"I'm auditioning too and I have a great voice if I do say so myself, right baby?"

"Yeah, a great voice," I said giving her a long kiss.

When I pulled away Kristine turned back to Jackie and Kevin. "Well don't let us stop you from practicing."

Jackie looked back to Kevin still a little nervous and said, "I kind of wanted my singing to be..." she didn't finish.

"A surprise," Kevin finished for her. "So we're just gonna head back to our room."

They got up from the floor, but stopped when Kristine said, "Well that's stupid." We all looked at her. "Well, if you wanted it to be a secret then you should just stay at Jackie's house. What are you trying to do? Parade your relationship around for everyone to see?"

Jackie looked a little shocked while Kevin started to look a little angry. "You know what?" Kevin asked. "We should go over to your house." Then they walked out the front door.

I don't believe it! First JD now my brother! I can't believe her. That's why she forgave me so fast when I saved her life. This is payback for being a jerk to her for five years. What a bitch!

That night when Kristine left and Kevin was back home I asked him what was happening between him and Jackie. I know he would tell me the truth. Bros over hoes right? Plus he was family, if you don't have family what do you have?

"Hey," I said when I walked in our room. "So what's with you and Jackie?"

He looked up from his homework. "Don't tell me that you believe what your girlfriend is saying."

"It sounds about right. And her name is Kristine!"

"Well all I'm doing is helping her with the song she's going to sing." There was a small pause before he said, "And don't be so stupid Joe."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Jackie told me about the fight you two had."

"That's none of your business, Jackie shouldn't have told you about that." I was getting pretty worked up at this point.

"Well it's none of your business if Jackie were to start dating your best friend or your brother."

"Yes it does!"

"No it doesn't!" Kevin yelled. He was getting worked up too. "It's her life and whoever she decides to date is none of your business."

"So you are dating her!" I accused.

Kevin just threw his hands in the air. "Geez Joe, if you're so jealous about who Jackie is dating why don't you dump that girlfriend of yours, 'cause no one likes her anyway, and just ask Jackie out."

"I'm not jealous and I don't like Jackie."

"Could have fooled me," Kevin said with a scoff and he went back to doing his homework.

I didn't like Jackie like that. I know I don't. I just walked out of the room and slept in the living room that night.

--- --- --- ---

It was the end of the day on Monday. I don't really remember what happened today. I was mostly just zoning out the whole day. There were a bunch of people waiting in the hall for Ms. Hetrick, the teacher in charge of the singing contest, to post the audition schedules. Mrs. M went to pick up Nick and Maya before coming back to pick us up. Kristine, Cindy, Francis, and I were standing away from Jackie and Kevin.

"Why can't we check the list tomorrow?" I asked. It was a good question. The auditions started tomorrow and I doubt she would make them before school started.

"Because if I go tomorrow I want to be fully ready," Kristine explained.

Shouldn't you be ready no matter what? I just wanted to go home already, it's not like we were gonna hang out later. Her dad was already waiting in the parking lot for the three of them.

Kristine pulled me so we were away from Francis and Cindy. "What's up with you today?" She asked.

"What are you talking about?"

"You've been acting really weird, like you're not completely awake or something."

"Nothings wrong with me," I said. "I'm just having some trouble with Jackie that's all." I should be able to tell my girlfriend about my problems right?

"Jackie?" She scoffed. "I don't know why you even hang out with her."

"Well I'm not... not anymore."

"Good. You're too good for her." Kristine's right I am too good for her... and she's just been trying to get back at me for torturing her when we were younger anyway.

"Yeah, who cares about someone that needs therapy anyway?"

"She goes to a therapist?" She asked with a laugh. "Oh my gosh. What a nut case."

"Yeah, she has them every Thursday during the summer. I guess I would need therapy too if my mom gave me a suicide letter on my birthday."

Ms. Hetrick came out with the schedule and posted it on the bulletin board. Everyone ran to it right away. Jackie was standing on the other side of the hallway as Kevin looked for her. Is Kevin her bitch now?

"My auditions on Wednesday," Kristine said. "That means that I have an extra day to rest my voice."

"You ready to go Joe?" Kevin asked me. We were still mad at each other, but it wasn't like we weren't speaking to each other.

"When is your audition Jackie?" Kristine asked her.

Everyone was gone by then, but JD chose that moment to come running in. He had his practice uniform for football on. "Hey," he said. "So when's your audition?" He asked Jackie.

"Huh?" She's such an idiot. "Oh umm... Thursday after school," Jackie said.

"Thursday huh?" Kristine said looking back at me. "You don't have anything scheduled for that day? A therapy session maybe?" Jackie looked shocked for a minute.

"What are you talking about Kristine?" JD asked.

"Joe told me all about it and about the letter your mom gave you."

I could see the tears forming in her eyes. Kevin placed his hands on her shoulders and said quietly, "Come on, your mom is probably waiting in the parking lot."

"I guess you need those therapy sessions since you were an orphan. I mean being unwanted for a long time and spending the rest of your life like an outcast, of course you need them. But once a week? Isn't that a bit much? Unless... you're doing other things." Kristine had one eyebrow raised with a smirk on her face. Did she really have to say those things? "Aww... you're gonna cry," she said in an innocent voice. "Well, are you gonna say something?"

"That's enough Kristine, just leave her alone." JD to the rescue. I guess she's playing both of them.

When Jackie didn't say anything Kristine went on to say, "I guess not since you don't have Rada here to talk for you. Instead you have Kevin and JD to protect you. Hmm... screams slut to me." She turned to me and said, "I'll talk to you later baby." She then kissed me and walked away with her friends.

When Kristine was gone Jackie just stared at me with those fake tears in her eyes. I didn't think she'd be able to put up such a good act.

"What was that man?" JD asked.

"Yeah, how could you just stand there and have her say all those lies?" Kevin asked getting in my face too. "You're supposed to be her friend."

I couldn't keep my eyes off of Jackie's. She really did look hurt.

"Are you listening to us at all?" JD asked.

Before I could answer his last question Jackie, with a trembling bottom lip, shook her head and walked away. Kevin saw her leaving and shook his head disappointed.

"Aren't you gonna go after her too?" I asked JD.

"Not until I find out what's up with you." He really didn't know. Just like ajock to be stupid. "Seriously man, what was that all about?"

"It's about you, my brother, and Jackie, that's what it's about." I said giving him a hard poke in the chest.

"What?"

"She's using you, she's using all of us," I said. "She's trying to get back at me for being a jerk to her when we were younger."

"I don't see that," JD said shaking his head. "She's a nice girl that's getting through life just like the rest of us."

"You would think that."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"She's using you to get to me and she's using Kevin the same way," I explained."Now you two are like her guard dogs or something. Are you her bitch now?"

"You're f-cking crazy man! Are you listening to yourself?" I just turned around and walked away. "Hey I'm trying to be your friend here. You're acting like an idiot," he said as he reached to turn me around to look at him.

"Don't f-cking touch me!" I yelled as I punched him in the face. Before I knew it we were both throwing swings left and right. I didn't even know what was going on anymore. Somehow we got split apart. I could feel someone holding me back, but all I could see was JD and all I could think was to get one more hit, just one more.

"To my office," I heard a man say. "I'm going to be calling your parents."

"Good job Joe." I think it was Kevin I heard that time.

I was in the nurse's office while she gave me an ice pack for my face. It was just me and her so I was able to calm down a little.

"Could you send him in whenever he's ready?" I heard some lady say to Nurse Bertha.

"Joe Jonas," she said to me. "I've had you come in here for a million and one reasons, but none of them involved fighting. You're such a nice boy, why were you fighting?"

I just shrugged. "Can I go now?"

"Yes, go, go," she said with a sigh.

As I entered the principal's office JD and his parents were leaving. I didn't look at them. I just kinda looked at the floor. When I got inside I saw mom, dad, and Frankie.

"Joseph Adam, you're grounded for the rest of the month," mom said before Icould even sit down.

"Mom, it's only the first of September!" She's crazy.

"I know." Her voice seemed to get deeper. I have a feeling I'm gonna be in deeper sh!t when I get home.

"Listen, I know boys can get a little... worked up at this age," Mr. Miller, the principal said.

"Frankie get over here," mom scolded when he walked behind Mr. Miller's desk."I'm sorry," she apologized.

"It's alright," Mr. Miller said with a laugh. "As I was saying I know boys over react sometimes, so I'll let him off with one detention tomorrow after school."

"Thank you Principal Miller. I'm sure this will never happen again, right Joseph," dad said.

I just nodded. We said our goodbyes to Mr. Miller and headed home. The whole ride home mom kept nagging me about what happened, but I didn't want to talk about it.

Once we got home I jumped out of the van and ran to my room. When I walked in I saw Jackie openly crying as Kevin tried to get her to stop. They both looked up when I walked in.

"I gotta go," Jackie said before running out.

Kevin sent me a glare before taking out his homework. I just did the same thing.

A few minutes later Nick walked in with his notebook and a guitar. He stopped when he saw me. "Oh you're home," he said. "Uhh... never mind."

"Did Jackie turn you against me too?" I asked before he could leave. "Or did she get Kevin to do it?"

Nick looked like a deer caught in headlights as Kevin got off his bed. "What is wrong with you!?! Jackie didn't do anything!" He yelled. "I thought you out grew the whole be-a-jerk-to-Jackie phase, but I guess not. I suggest you figure out what's really going on, with you and with Jackie, before acting like an idiot the way you did today," Kevin said before walked out of the room.

"I'm gonna do my homework," Nick said before leaving.

Well I didn't want to do my homework. I walked down stairs and heard mom and dad talking.

"Why would Joe act like this, to JD no less? They're best friends," dad asked no one in particular.

"Are we doing something wrong?" Mom asked dad.

I didn't want to hear anymore, but where could I go? I was grounded. I guess the back yard is still within grounding limits right? I walked outside and heard Jackie talking to Nick from her balcony.
Sign up to rate and review this story