Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco

When The Day Met The Night

by -ThisXSecretXNinja- 1 review

A one shot... "But hey, Robyn, you’re as cold as the moon, but I’m like the sun shining through your bedroom window, waking you up to reality. But also...opening you up to save myself from the...

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-09-20 - Updated: 2008-09-20 - 3574 words - Complete

0Unrated
“Today is another day in a new school. I can’t even remember the name; there’s been so many. I’m starting to think coming here was a bad idea…everyone keeps staring at me. And nobody has talked to me... Well, except there’s this one boy named-” I stopped writing when a familiar annoying voice drilled through my ears, his body hovering above my desk.
“What are you doing!?!” the hyper voice squealed from above me.
“Excuse me!” I shouted loudly before shoving him away from my desk. He yelped as he stumbled backwards and landed hard onto his chair and shrieked, “What the hell was that for?”
“Watch your language, Urie!”
He made a disgusted face at the teacher and said nothing but just watched my notebook.
I merely side glanced at him out of the corner of my eye and observed his features. Big brown eyes, confident but childish grin, brown hair wisped over his eyes. He was cute, but far from my type. I’d seen him around town a few times before we unloaded the moving truck but…I didn’t really notice him much until I started school three days ago.
“You invaded my personal bubble,” I answered simply, not a pinch of snide or emotion in my voice. Frankly, I didn’t care who he was. All I knew was that so far, he’d been the only one stubborn enough to try to talk to me. I didn’t know if that was a good thing or bad, but like I said before, I didn’t care. You see, I’m the new kid on the block and this just happens to be a city where I don‘t feel the need to trust anybody. This kid doesn’t seem to read my “no-no” vibes.
“Who were you writing about?” he asked excitedly, “does this boy you write of so happen to have the name Brendon?”
“No,” I answered sarcastically, rolling my eyes at his immaturity. Can’t he see that I’m already going through enough trouble with my life and don’t need to be bothered with social behavior? I’m anti-social and mistrusting. You must all think that I’m some kind of snotty narcissist but…that’s not it. I just don’t like making friends in new cities because I’m just going to move away again. Why make it harder for myself?
I exhaled a sigh and wrote down quickly, aware Brendon would be looking over my shoulder, “-named Brendon who is really annoying me. I wish he would leave me alone. I just need my space in this crowded city.”
I looked over at him with a smirk, and he frowned after reading what I wrote and turned to face the front. Wonderful. The bell had rung and the class was now starting. Maybe I’d actually get something done at this school.
“Hey,” a whisper came from beside me, interrupting my thoughts by throwing a crumpled up piece of paper at my forehead, “Hey, you!”
I glared at him before opening the note and scanning over it. Inside, written cursively in purple penned letters, it read, “What’s your name? And why do you hate me???”
I bit my lip, feeling a little guilty about what I wrote earlier and wrote back in green ink, “Robyn. P.S. I don’t hate you. I just don’t know you.” and threw it back to him.
I watched as he opened it, smiled widely and scribbled something down before tossing it back to me.
“Get to know me? Courtyard; after school @ 4?”
I sighed and scribbled back to him, “No. What do you want?”
“A friend…?” was the reply I’d gotten back from him. Not knowing any way out of his offer, I reluctantly wrote back, “Fine, I’ll be there.” before tossing it back to him.
I looked over briefly to see him make an air gesture whispering to himself, “Yes!” under his breath. Then he looked up to see me staring at him and bit his lip before focusing his attention towards the front, where after minutes of lecturing, he eventually falling asleep.
After twenty-five more minutes of class, the bell rung and I walked out of Advanced Algebra towards my next class. While passing the lockers, I saw him jump onto some guy’s back, his laugh echoing loudly through the hallway, as he high-fived a bunch of guys passing by until a teacher stopped and scolded him.
At this scene, I bit my lip nervously, hoping I didn’t make a mistake by agreeing to meet him after school. I exhaled a frustrated sigh as I walked across the building to attend my next class.
The day seemed endless but eventually, school ended around 3:20. Curiously, I walked around the school listening to my mp3 player until I found the courtyard. In the courtyard was a really beautiful Alice in Wonderland themed garden with a fountain and a couple of benches scattered around. Feeling a little anxious, I walked over and sat on the bench.
A couple of seconds of waiting turned into several minutes of wondering what to do while I waited. I watched as people shuffled in out of the narrow hallways to go home for the day. After, several minutes of waiting, I grew bored and started humming the song that was stuck in my head. Linger by the Cranberries.
But a little humming evolved into singing my heart out. I let the words spew out of me, because I loved the way it sounded when my voice echoed in the air. Looking at my watch, I saw how much time I had to spare before Brendon would show up. I was so caught up in the moment that I was completely thrown off guard when someone started clapping. I jerked around and saw Brendon standing there with a amused expression on his face, a guitar at his feet, and his backpack wrapped around his shoulder.
My face flushed bright red as I stuttered, “Y-you weren’t supposed to hear that! Uh, I mean, you‘re early!”
He grinned at my confusion and said, “You have a really pretty voice. Do you take lessons or something?”
“No, I taught myself,” I answered as he walked over and plopped down onto the bench and shot a sweet smile at me.
“Ah, I don’t believe we had the best introduction so let me start with, ‘my name is Brendon and I’m not a child molester.’ It’s nice to meet you, Robyn,” he said confidently, trying to keep a straight face. His joking manners earned a laugh out of me as I replied, “Nice to meet you, Brendon. You’ve got an interesting sense of humor. So, what’s the real reason you brought me here?”
He smirked knowingly and smoothly cooed, “If in exchange for your time, I give you this smile,” before smiling cutely/creepily. I didn’t know what to think of his abrupt flirtation but I decided that I’d ignore the ’friendliness’ factor and just stick it out. Although, I had to admit, he had a really great smile.
I simply responded by eying him a stern ‘don’t you mess with my emotions’ look before standing up and stating, “We’re just going to hang out, right?”
He nodded, stood up, and we started to walk as I asked him curiously, “So, what’s with the guitar?”
He looked down forgetfully at the case and said, “Oh, this old thing? I had to pick it up from the music room. I’m in jazz band.”
I laughed and commented, “Wow. You know, I guess my first impression of you was that you were a meathead jock just trying to get on my nerves. Sorry about that.”
He chuckled and said casually, “Oh, don’t worry. You’re actually hanging out with the world’s biggest band geek.”
“Aw, that’s a relief!” I exclaimed overdramatically. He pouted his lip as we reached the parking lot and he loaded his guitar case into the back seat of his car.
“So, where are you from?” he asked, making small talk. I answered coolly, “Toronto.”
“Ooh, a Canadian? That’s pretty neat, I won‘t lie.” he replied while pulling out of the parking lot of the school and started heading towards out of town.
“Uh Brendon, can I ask where we’re going?” I asked nervously. He shrugged and said, “Oh, didn’t you know? I’m kidnapping you for the night.”
“Oh really? You serious?” I asked surprised at his sincerity. He grinned over at me and asked, “Do you want me to be?”
Did I? That was a question that even I didn’t know the answer to, but judging by the fact that I didn’t say anything basically gave him the answer. It was weird because, I barely knew this guy and here I was just going along with him to somewhere I didn’t know…and that was enough to make my blood rush with excitement.
“Take me away,” I said moments after, earning a chuckle from him as he awkwardly admitted, “You know, I was sorta kidding but…it sounds a fun idea. I mean, we could just forget about school and such. Just keep driving until we reach the border!”
A giggle burst out from within me and I laughed out, “Let’s do it! I’m just kidding, you know… Are you always this peculiar?”
He stared at the road distantly before saying, “Yeah, pretty much. I’m the oddball of the bunch. How about you? You seem pretty average.”
“Well, then perhaps there’s a few things you don’t know about me,” I said sweetly, almost craving to know more about this strange gentleman.
“We’re almost there,” he said nervously, as he stared down the road. But why was he nervous? I mean, he was the one confident enough to bring me here and what not. Did he not expect to oblige? As we pulled up to a large secluded lake, my eyes became glued to the magnificent scenery, causing me to forget about my original worry.
“We have to walk a little bit. I hope you don’t mind,” he said bluntly while grabbing his guitar case as we started walking down a small trail. Deafened by the silence, I asked him, “Do you likes the outdoors? Well, that’s a dumb question because we’re outdoors now, in our free time, outside of school. But anyway! I like the outdoors a lot actually. I want to be a photographer when I’m older.”
He looked over, smiling, before replying, “A photographer huh? Does that make you incredibly creative or just naturally talented?”
Taking the question into thought, I answered with a wink, “It makes you both! But hey, what do you plan on being when you graduate?”
Brendon stared at the orange-colored sky for a few seconds before admitting, “I have no idea. I just want to be a musician.”
“A musician…I wanted to be that once,” I confessed, accidentally brushing against Brendon’s shoulder, earning myself a weird tingly sensation up my spine.
He didn’t seem to notice but asked, “What made you change your mind?”
Staring at the ground, I rolled my eyes and explained, “I was raised in one of those, ‘if you dream it, you can do it!’ kind of families. They put a lot of pressure on me to go through with the whole child star phase but later, I just didn’t want to do it anymore. My goals changed. I changed…”
I accidentally spaced out while talking, but looked up to see Brendon nodding understandingly, almost as if he knew exactly what I was talking about.
“Maybe, we’ll be able to jam out together…you know, make music without any pressure,” he suggested, avoiding my glance as he blushed.
“Sure,” I said nonchalantly as we continued to walk until we reached a beautiful lake. My eyes were fixated on the tiny little lighthouse that was barely noticeable to the common eye. Turning to Brendon, I asked, “Can we come up here sometime…in the summer?”
“Yeah,” he trailed off, not really comprehending what I was getting at as put his guitar down. I exhaled and explained, “I‘d like to hang out more at a place like this. It‘s secluded but I get such a thrill!”
“Oh! Sorry, you’ll have to excuse me! My mind has a tendency to hang around in the gutter…I thought you meant that you‘d wanna come up here and…do something explicit” he muttered jokingly. My mouth fell open and I smacked him on the arm and shouted, “That’s not what I meant, you pervert!”
He responded by sticking his tongue out at me, before snatching my purse and taking off with it. While running and screaming after him, we messed around for about a half an hour before I caught him and tackled him onto the ground. Sitting on top of him, I laughed and grabbed my purse from underneath him, thumping him on the head with it.
“Ouch!” he yelped, jumping up, before exclaiming, “You just love abusing my fragile body!”
“Yeah, you know it,” I said dully while standing up as well. Suddenly, he went into a short daze before it appeared that he had remembered something.
“Oh hey! I wanna show you something!” he declared as he ran towards his case and ran back and sat down on a mound of dirt with his guitar, not caring whatsoever about getting his pants dirty.
He placed his fingers strings properly and muttered, “I wrote this song a long time ago but it‘s one of my favorites that I‘ve written so here it goes,” and it seemed as if the sun was setting halfway behind the clouds just so we could watch the sunset together.
Brendon started playing a soft melody on the guitar as he began to sing. The sound of his voice was such a surprise, so clear and captivating, like an angel. I was so drawn to this sound; his voice rang through my ears redundantly. The words that drew me in like a fish on a hook. I could’ve sworn I fell into a trance as I watched his lips move so daringly, singing words that were like images in my head.
“When the moon fell in love with the sun
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night

When the sun found the moon
She was drinking tea in a garden
Under the green umbrella trees
In the middle of summer

When the moon found the sun
He looked like he was barely hanging on
But her eyes saved his life
In the middle of summer

In the middle of summer
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer, summer, summer, summer
All was golden when the day met the night

So he said, "Would it be all right
If we just sat and talked for a little while
If in exchange for your time
I give you this smile?"

So she said, "That's okay
As long as you can make a promise
Not to break my little heart
Or leave me all alone in the summer."

Well he was just hanging around
Then he fell in love
And he didn't know how
But he couldn't get out
Just hanging around
Then he fell in love

In the middle of summer
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer, summer, summer, summer
When the moon fell in love with the sun
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night

In the middle of summer…”

By the time he finished the song, the day had truly met the night. The sun had hidden behind the hills and the only light was shining from behind it. Brendon breathed slowly and stuttered out, “R-Robyn?”
“Yeah?” I replied inquiringly. He mumbled something that sounded like, “Can I tell you something without totally weirding you out?”
This was rather startling because this had been the first time I’d heard real panic in his voice. But reluctantly, I replied, “Yeah, what?”
He swallowed hard. I could tell by the way he twitched slightly that this was something rather important.
“I…I have a confession to make,” he sighed disappointedly in himself, “I already knew who you were when I started talking to you…because I live down the street from you…and I…”
He didn’t have to finish that sentence. My jaw had already dropped as I screamed, “You’re that window peeper?!?”
He looked completely appalled by my reaction as he yelled back in retort, “Robyn, I-I, like, you!”
I was about to yell back when I paused and asked, “Huh? What’d you say?”
He stared at me ashamedly as he stared at the ground and muttered, “Well…yeah, I do. But I wanted to hang out today so I could ask you if you maybe like me too…? Possibly?”
I was speechless, I couldn’t think of anything to say. But he had his own ideas.
As I shifted my weight and leaned against him, he pressed his lips hard against mine as he slid his fingers through my hair, his weight knocking me back against the soft grass. What was happening, I wondered to myself. He passionately held his arm around my back as he laid on top of me…kissing me.
Brendon held me in his arms, shocked by his own movements. He kissed me softly at first, deepening it when he felt me kiss back. He must’ve been nervous judging by the swift pull of his hands from my back onto my cheek. As he touched my cheeks, a tingle came over me, making it hard to breathe momentarily. It was a spark that I’d never felt before and I was sure he’d felt it too.
Pulling away softly, he stared sweetly wearing a cheesy grin that was so charismatic of his personality.
He then whispered something into my ear, “We can come here in the summer…but spring break is closer.”
His eyes looked so pleading and it was almost a look of desperation. He was an intriguing gentleman; that was for sure. But I wasn’t going to be too forgiving towards his actions.
He chuckled at my shocked expression as I stood up and said, “You‘re not pulling that trick on me, mister.”
“But you‘re the girl of my dreams, Robyn. Won’t you please give me a chance to redeem myself?”
“Well, keep dreaming,” I joked as I started strolling back down the trail. Picking up his guitar case, he followed after me and said, “You, my friend, are a damn tease!”
“Maybe, I‘d give you another chance if you weren‘t such a creeper,” I emitted as I scampered further from him playfully. He stopped in the middle of the pathway, staring hard and seriously at me as he muttered lowly, “This creeper has a plan he intends to follow.”
“Bren-” I started when a smile flickered in his cheek as he laughed, “Just kidding with you, babe!”
He ran up to me and slipped his arm around my shoulder, and I exhaled a sigh before muttering, “You’re very persistent, Brendon.”
He chuckled in response, “Yeah, I get that a lot. But you eventually learn to love me for it.”
“Mhmm, I think it’s already working,” I grinned as I slid an arm around his waist and pulled him towards me, the feel of his presence against me making my insides churn. He giggled cutely and sniggered, “Who can resist my charm?”
I shook my head vigorously and said, “Don’t let it inflate your ego.”
“Oh, don’t worry. It won’t. But hey, Robyn, you’re as cold as the moon,” he started to say but explained himself after he noticed the offended look on my face, “But I’m like the sun shining through your bedroom window, waking you up to reality. But also…opening you up to save myself from the loneliness of the daylight.”
“Well, that’s a stupid way to word it,” I stated bluntly, wondering where a boy can find a mindset that works in such mystery, “But you’re absolutely right.”
He grinned giddily as we walked off into the night, never knowing what would happen to us that night that would change our lives forever.
The night we fell in love as total strangers, a true Romeo and Juliet situation. Two worlds apart. Polar opposites in every way, falling in love to the sound of summer. We walked through those woods and never came out. We died in the midst of liberating consequences. Some loves were never made to last in life. But the afterlife tastes much sweeter.
Sign up to rate and review this story