Categories > Original > Fantasy

Forbidden

by lost_in_the_shuffle 0 reviews

In a future where vampires and werewolves rule America, even when it could mean certain death. Two young lovers risk everything to be with each other.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Published: 2008-09-22 - Updated: 2008-09-23 - 813 words

0Unrated
The world changed forever a hundred years ago. That was when vampires and werewolves discovered they could give birth like humans. No longer was the disease spread by biting, now it became genetic and America quickly became overrun by both species.
Most humans left the country entirely, although a few pockets of humans rebels remained.
The United States became divided, one part becoming the Lycan nations and the other becoming the Dracol Empire.
At first there were war and death, bloodshed and despair, but then an unsteady truce rose up and the werewolves and vampires strived to be at peace.
Laws were enacted and it became illegal for one species to venture onto the other species’ land without permission.
The punishment for breaking these laws was instant death.

Years passed and although never friendly the two species learned to live in a kind of harmony.

And this is where the story begins, my story, and the story of the one I love, an illegal love that could prove to be deadly.

My name is Flora Greene, only daughter of Marcus Greene, third ruler of the Lycan clan. My lover’s name is Iram Meyers, and he is a vampire.
**************************
It began innocently, a venture away from the city with my friends, going as close to the border as we dared.
It was a sort of game for us, looking over the wall, hoping to catch a glimpse of the dreaded enemy. I always wondered if somewhere, there was a young vampire looking over their side of the wall, hoping to catch a glimpse of us.
That was the only time I thought of them, they never had anything to do with my world. I was young, and spoiled, the pampered daughter of Emperor Greene.
To me the vampires were nothing more then stories, I had never seen one, and I never cared to see one. All I cared about was flirting with the handsome border guards and escaping from my companion.

Finally I grew bored and decided to walk along the wall, waiting while my friends continued to flirt.
I had gone far enough to be out of view when I heard it, a strange noise that sounded like a groan.
I stopped and listened, hearing it again, and I walked toward it.
I wasn’t afraid, I had no reason to be, I never thought any danger would be on our side of the wall.
But then I saw him, a vampire, lying in the shadow of the wall, bloody and bruised. The groan had come from him, and I stopped, not sure what I should do.
I knew that the right thing was to run back to the border guards, to tell them of the intrusion. But something stopped me, all I could do was stand there and stare.
Then almost as if he knew, as if he could sense I was standing there, he opened his eyes.
I gasped and stepped back, never had I saw eyes so brilliantly blue and at that moment I knew I couldn’t turn him in.
“Help me,” he gasped out, then “please,” as I continued to stand there.
Finally I stepped forward and knelt beside him, not sure what to do.
“How did you get here?” I asked and he laughed harshly.
“Made the wrong people mad,” he gasped out, then winced in pain.
“The sun will rise soon,” he said, “help me find shelter.”
I helped him stand, even though I knew by doing so I was aiding and abetting him. Just by not reporting his presence, I had broken the law. But as I looked at him, I knew that I could no sooner turn him in, then I could make the sun not rise.
“I know somewhere I can take you,” I said, and helped him to walk. We walked as quickly as we could, but it was slow, and we had just reached the old abandoned cottage as the sun started to rise.
Quickly I helped him inside and laid him on the bed.
“You can rest here,” I said, “and sneak over the wall tomorrow night. No, one will find you and I promise I won’t report you.”
He smiled and I realized how handsome he was, even though he was a vampire.
“Thank you,” he said, then closed his eyes.
I slowly and quietly left the house, and I realized I would never see him again. Why that made me feel sad, I couldn’t even begin to comprehend, nor did I want to. Instead I left and went back to my friends, they hadn’t even realized I had been gone. We walked back to the city, and I absentmindedly listened to their chatter, but my heart wasn’t in it anymore. I realized, that in a matter of a hour, I had changed forever.
Sign up to rate and review this story