Categories > Original > Horror > Valeck's Tale

Third Part

by RenoTurk 0 reviews

A decisive measure.

Category: Horror - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Horror - Warnings: [V] [?] - Published: 2008-10-05 - Updated: 2008-10-05 - 2459 words - Complete

0Unrated
“I want you to meet the Seneschal today.” Vladimir told the young man at the end of the lesson. Valeck had neither mentioned the meeting with Sergian, or that he had become aware of the secret of the castle’s master. That would have to come later because right now he needed to learn as much about them as he could.

Valeck nodded, he wanted to meet him because this stranger was about to become the tool he needed to work into this dark world. He needed a victim. Vladimir stood up and walked him to another section of the castle and the young man collected the notes he had made for the evening. He hoped the seneschal was a dislikeable figure; it would make the plan easier to execute.

Vladimir opened a door to another set of cells and studies. The castle and its size never ceased to amaze Valeck and he made a careful note of where he was being taken. There would be need to know the world he wished to claim for himself. The door to the larger library was opened and the stunning display of books piled on shelves easily twenty feet high to the ceiling made him gasp. This was a section of heaven he had not been told of.

“Do you like what you see?” Vladimir smiled. “Books are a hard thing to come by but everything we can gather in any language is brought here.”

“I want to know every language.” Valeck whispered. “Every one I can learn.”

“You would need centuries for that child. It is more than one man’s work.” A voice said from behind a shelf. Valeck suppressed a knowing smile. “Welcome to the inner sanctum. My name is Frederick and I am the castles keeper for the master. Here you will help to organise the library, learn how to control the castle and order the staff. This is our job and this is our life work.”

“I understand my lord.” Valeck smiled softly. “That is the work that I should enjoy the most. Vladimir, may I spend the night with my new mentor?”

“Of course.” Vladimir nodded and looked to him. “Have you abandoned the notions of becoming a voivode? Of being a warlord to your brethren Sergian.”

“My master,” Valeck smirked a little, “such trivialities as war is for men such as he. I have a grander purpose. I can write tales of victory and defeat. I shall pay only the attention you ask me to.”

“You are a good student.” Vladimir finalised before walking out.

Valeck hid the smirk, watching Frederick stack a large pile of books that were to be for his training. Valeck needed the other vampire but not yet, he needed to ensure that he would fall into his needs quickly when the time came and rushing every one into place would make for a very short and defeating game of people chess. Frederick seemed unaware of the internal musings and slid the books along the desk to him.

“Sir you will need to tell me how to move so much with just my hands. I am only young and have only the energy of youth to help me. You seem to have years of practise.” Valeck smiled, blue eyes sparkling.

The man was easily sixty years old and yet somehow he lifted things a soldier could as if they were mere parchment. Valeck suspected that the small hive of vampires used the servants for personal pleasure and feeding. Ani his former carer must be one such tool of theirs and then he nearly laughed, of course that would be why he should never leave his room after dark, those walking around were prey and Valdimir did not want a long term investment to go astray.

Frederick was not entirely nice but not that detestable either. Valeck knew he would need to watch that he did not get too accustomed to him or allow a long term relationship to build as it would only make the execution more difficult. The man was just a way to prove to Vladimir that not only would he be a valuable asset he had the skills to complete any task he wished.

It came into three months longer of spending nights with Vladimir and Frederick, Sergian had passed him by a few times and he had chosen to nod or make eye contact but not approach the general. The time for questions about their relationship might have to come when they had the same powers, or close to them. A vampire surely would not stagnate with his abilities; he had the opportunity to be stronger and learn to increase his knowledge’s without the burden of passing time.

The complication was discovered in the third month too when Valeck found that Frederick was a vampire. He managed to avoid being spotted in the study but Frederick looked at him as he entered the library, did the bastard know now? This would mean a new way of thinking. If Frederick were to attack him or to let the master know of the situation his life might be ended quickly. He also didn’t want to face the idea that like Sergian his mind might be altered.

Frederick was a thin looking man, he had no muscles on his body and he had been turned into the creature he was purely because Vladimir needed his intelligence. He had sporadic and thin patches of grey hair, he wore clothes that were outdated for the time and yet he kept a pleasant and cool nature that Sergian had not been able too. He did want to know the reason for that, was it because he had been given the gift willingly? It had to be.

“I have to go into the town tomorrow night,” the seneschal told him as they sat at the desk one evening, “do you wish to come with me?”

“I think I should like that. I have not seen anything outside of the castle in over seven years.” Valeck also knew this might be his chance. This could be an opportunity to learn or even… no he need not think it directly just yet. “Should I take anything?”

“Keep warm and bring any protection you choose from the god of your choice. If it makes you feel better.” There was a cold glint in the man’s eyes and Valeck wondered what that meant. God of his choice? He had never considered it. All religion was something to study and nothing more. He was a blasphemous soul for that time but he had followed the peasantry in the idea so that he would not be killed, nothing more.

“I see.” Valeck swept the last of his books into his arms and headed back to his room.

He didn’t have a cell anymore, the room was opulent and had a large bed where he could spread the books out and read at night. The desk was a large thing that should he choose he would sit to write his own thoughts, this did not occur often. Most of what lurked in the man’s brain had best remain there. It was something he should not be willing to write unless he was sure he would not be punished for it and he knew that his latest thoughts would assure not only that but probably his swift demise if not used correctly.

Instead on the open leather-bound journal he simply wrote one entry, ‘Tomorrow we go to town. I will see what has changed.’

Valeck closed the book then and sat down, brushing down the long locks of raven coloured hair before shaving the growth from his face. He was not going to sleep; he had to be up in the day to get into the library with nobody to hinder his new research. When the day broke he slipped into the vast study room and pulled down the book he needed, an archive of rituals, traditions and beliefs of what a night stalker, a vampire was.

He had a list of readily available deterrents but that wasn’t what he needed. He wished he had a way to contact a priest or to ask if there were such things as vampire killers. He had so little knowledge of it but Frederick had to go, he had to escalate his position and he wasn’t really able to afford a position of wavering confidence either. Valeck decided one thing from reading several reference points, the removal of the head should be the best way forward.

It stood to reason, removing the head worked on most things. That was the way of it, if it needed a brain and the brain was in the head then it was going to work. Valeck needed a sword and he needed one that he might be able to wield without fear. If Frederick fought back he would have little choice and then he spotted the hand written note in a dialect he hardly recognised. It seemed to be some form of addition to the usual notes and he spent three hours scaling the languages sections to find what it meant.

The note was simply that a wooden stake to the heart might not kill the vampire but it would stop it long enough to give you chance to kill it or run away. Valeck smirked, so if he caught him with that taking his head would be infinitely easier? At last he had the information he needed now he just had to prepare himself for the deed for as of yet, for all this musings and ideas… he had never killed a man.

The sword was collected from his room it wasn’t the greatest of them, nor was it going to be wielded by someone with any epic skills, but it was the best he had to use. The stake he managed to find by breaking the bottom of an old chair in the stores. It wasn’t a crafted piece but it held merit in its way as it was sharp and that was all he needed. He put it in the inside pocket of the heavy coat he needed to keep warm.

His thoughts wandered back to the first night he had gone through the dark forest and he had to admit he missed his old friends company. Sergian had always been so good to him, had always been a friend that seemed to have some compassion for him. Well if there was any left then he would have to use it to keep himself alive if the worst should happen and Frederick bested him. He knew the General would be sent as he always went to the towns and villages with the men. Tonight he was going to test loyalties and pray it paid off.

The ride into the village consisted of only Sergian and Frederick, it surprised him as he expected a small militia. Did they suspect him of something? Sergian remained quiet though he rode alongside Valeck and watched for danger. Here was the only mortal in their flock and he knew the secrets of the forests. There were no demons, no vampires… something far worse lurked inside there. Werewolves… they were half mortal, half supernatural beast and given the right circumstances could drag even an alert vampire to the ground.

They plodded into the town and Valeck slid from the horse he rode. He needed to be free of the animal as he hardly bothered to learn to ride and did not want to be too stiff to execute Frederick. The young man took the sword and his backpack, he then gathered himself together and followed them into the Boyar’s home. He brought them into the home, offered them hot drinks and then let them sit around the table ready to discuss the taxes. For that is what they were sent to collect.

“I don’t really need a drink thank you.” Sergian nodded. “But the young noble here may appreciate it. He is still learning the ways.”

“I see.” The Boyar ordered a serf to arrange him a hot drink and looked at him. “You have a pale complexion for your age child. You should get out into the sun and get some muscle. Do not let these men bully you into staying indoors.”

“I shall not sir.” Valeck smiled, if only they knew. “I like the library it suits me better and sir as I am led to believe that a tan is the sign of a working man and the Lord does not wish me to be seen in that manner. I am his… friend.” He deliberately obscured the facts watching Frederick’s face as the seneschal tried to decide if the young man was in fact a blood doll.

The Boyar ignored the comment assuming the lord had some favour for the young men and then got the books ready to pay them. Valeck watched with little interest, his true interest lay in trying to get a way to kill Frederick but the town was a bad choice and the forest could lead him into more danger from the way Sergian’s eyes washed the landscape on the way in.

“Let’s go.” Frederick announced when it was over and Valeck stood up to follow.

This was it one of them would end their career this evening and their lives. Sergian brushed past the young man, gave him a curious look and then pulled his horse up and got onto it. He looked at Valeck before trotting the horse to the edge of the town and waiting for them. Sergian could sense the lad was tense but he hadn’t got the power yet to invade his mind. He hoped whatever it was it wasn’t something foolish like trying to escape.

Valeck pulled alongside him and smiled to him before they headed back out towards the main road through the forest. Frederick’s horse plodded along behind and Valeck had to make a decision, should he try before they hit the forest and hope no one in the town saw? It would have to be because up the mountainside was too dangerous, they might all die in a melee on the unstable route and the horses would bolt rendering Sergian in danger when the sun came about.

It had to be soon and so with a determined look on his face he trotted the horse forwards and as they reached the border of the town and slipped out around its stoned walls with a deep breath he pulled forwards and brought the two vampires to a halt.
Sign up to rate and review this story