Categories > Original > Drama > Escaping Reality

Chapter Seven

by River 0 reviews

Chapter Seven of my story - Escaping Reality.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-10-26 - Updated: 2008-10-26 - 2276 words

0Unrated
Chapter Seven

"Oh man, last night was epic," Aaron exclaimed.
We were sitting in Blake's living room and Quinn and I were the only ones who had escaped a hangover. Everyone was still glowing from last night's concert.
"Yeah it was amazing, but what happens now?" Quinn said thoughtfully.
I knew someone was going to say that. And I guess you would, after a huge night like they'd just had. Probably one of the biggest moments in your life, and then you were just left to think what next? But I really had no idea what would be next for the band. I hoped something would come along soon. I was back to having to think like that, already. At least in the meantime they could think about their first proper concert opening for a famous band. I had no doubt that a huge show like that had opened some doors for them. So many more people knew of their music now and all because of one night.
"I guess we just wait around until something else comes along. We just have to work hard, practice and write as much new stuff as we can until then," Blake said positively.
"Of course, but look how long it took for something to come up in the first place,"Connor said through a mouthful of leftover pizza.
I had been hoping someone wouldn't point that out just yet. I knew the band would start to get disillusioned quickly, and I couldn't go through that again so soon. I was going to try my best to keep things happening for the band. I had already proved that it could be done so there was no reason for them to go back to worrying about the future of the band. They had already shown they had aplace in the music industry, it was where they belonged.
"I can't wait to leave school," Quinn said to me during English class. It had been a couple of days since the concert and we still hadn't found anything else yet, but I hadn't expected it to be that easy.
Quinn barely even bothered to pay attention in any of his classes anymore. The focus he'd had a couple of weeks ago had quickly passed and now had no interest for anything to do with school. I completely understood why, but I thought that while I was here I might as well try my best to keep up my grades. I worried that if Quinn's grades started to slip any further, he would be in huge trouble at home. I would have told him this, but decided not to because he had been in such a good mood since the concert, and I didn't want to put a stop to that. That was probably one of the reasons why he hated school more so this week, he'd had a taste of what his life could be like and now everything else just seemed so dull and boring. That was fair enough, I knew I would have felt the same way if I was him.
"My phones ringing," Quinn said, getting it out of his pocket and he leaving the room.
The teacher was writing out some questions on the whiteboard at the front of the room, so he didn't see Quinn slip out the door. I wondered who the call was from. I didn't know who would be calling Quinn in the middle of the day, and he hadn't told me he was expecting to hear from anyone.
The bell went ten minutes later and Quinn still hadn't come back into the classroom. I packed up our things and walked out of the room. I began to worry, I silently prayed in my mind that it wasn't anything bad, but what else could have been so urgent that they had called him in the middle of class? Neither of us would be able to deal with it if it was bad news. We'd just had such an amazing weekend. Things couldn't turn bad again so quickly, surely life couldn't be that unkind to me. I headed outside and spotted Quinn sitting on anearby bench, still on the phone. I walked over and sat down beside him, patiently waiting for him to get off the phone.
"Okay, we'll be there. Thank you very much," Quinn said politely and ended the call. He took a deep breath and looked at me.
"Fuck, I can't believe this is happening," he murmured and began to text someone on his phone.
"What happened? Who was that?" I asked.
I was relieved Quinn didn't look upset, so I knew it hadn't been bad news.
"It was Unfortunate Lives' band manager," he said, not looking up from his phone.
"Really, what did they want?" I asked, I was still confused and I wished Quinn would just explain what was going on.
"He wants us to go in and meet with them tomorrow," he said, sending the message and looking at me.
I was getting impatient. He wasn't telling me everything, and I was dying to know the full story.
"What for?" I asked. I felt like I was playing acomplicated version of twenty questions.
"He saw us play on Saturday night and thought we had a lot of potential. He said he'd be interested in managing us, and could probably get us signed within a few months, maybe even within a few weeks!" Quinn smiled, this was everything he'd hoped for.
"What? Seriously?" I jumped up from the bench.
"Yep. Wow, how did all this happen so fast?" Quinn asked, standing up to wrap his arms around me.
"I told you it would get people lining up to sign you," I smiled, reminding him of the conversation we'd had only a week or so ago.
"You're right. Man, where are the guys? I just text them and told them to meet us here. They're gonna be so thrilled," he said looking around for them.
When they found us Quinn told them the big news. As expected they were all ecstatic and, like me, hadn't been expecting anything like it.
"We're gonna go home now, are you coming?" Quinn asked me.
"No, I think I'm gonna stay. I'll talk to you later," I gave him a quick kiss and headed off to my next class.
I was right again, the concert had brought big things for them, and there was even a possibility that they could be a signed band within a few weeks. Icouldn't stop smiling to myself throughout the rest of the day. Were things really going to happen this fast? I didn't want to get my hopes up, but Icouldn't help but wonder how my life could be about to change dramatically. We'd all been waiting for this moment to come along, and here it was, so sudden.

As it turned out Quinn's news wasn't the only good news of the day. My dad had found another job, it wasn't the best pay, but it was something at least. He would be working back at the old firm but in a lower position than he was before. I was very pleased for him. I knew how concerned my parents had been about it. After congratulating him I told them about the phone call Quinn had gotten during school.
"That's very good. I bet they were happy to hear about that," Mom said, preparing dinner.
"Yeah, they were. I knew this was going to happen to them at some stage, but it's all just happened so fast," I said, setting the table for dinner.
I really couldn't believe how all of the worries I'd had over the past few months were sorting themselves out all at once. It seemed like everything was going right at the moment. I hoped that didn't mean that everything was suddenly going to go wrong in the future too. I stopped myself from thinking like that. Right now I had to focus on enjoying the good luck, because wondering when it was going to be over wasn't going to get me anywhere.
I walked to Blake's house after school the next day. Their meeting had been at ten in the morning, and it wouldn't have gone for more than a couple of hours. I walked up the drive and rang the doorbell. I noticed that I felt a little nervous. I had no idea what to expect from the meeting. For all I knew it may have turned into nothing or it could have turned into something huge. Whatever the outcome was, I couldn't wait to find out. Blake came to the door and welcomed me in. I walked into the living room and noticed they all had beers in their hands, so I figured it must have gone pretty well.
"So, tell me everything," I said sitting down beside Quinn, eager to hear all of the details.
"Well we went there and met Adam, the manager," Blake told me, "he was really cool. We sat down in a conference type room and just talked for a while about our music, and ourselves. Then he told us about him, and what bands he's worked with in the past-"
"He's worked with so many good bands," Kyle told me excitedly, interrupting.
He listed a few of them, and I was definitely impressed, a couple of them even had international recognition.
"And then he said he'd been talking to people over the past couple of days, and he asked us if we wanted him to be our manager," Blake continued.
"Of course we said yes," Connor pitched into the conversation.
"That's great," I said, at least with a manager that took a little stress off them to find a record label to sign them, and even tour dates when it got to that point.
"But wait, there's more!" Aaron said mocking a commercial advertising voice, which made everyone laugh.
I didn't know what else there could be, everything so far had been more than any of us had been hoping for. I waited patiently to hear what else had happened.
"Well, he'd been talking to a few people over the last couple of days and he'd approached two record companies with our demos. One of them we'd already sent one of our first demos to. Anyway, they both said they'd like to sign us," Blake said enthusiastically.
"Oh my god," I gasped and clapped my hands together.
All of this was a relief to me more than anything. Everything we'd stressed about over the past couple of months was finally changing for the better.
"So we're going back tomorrow to look over the deals closely, and decide which one is best for us," Quinn told me.
"That's so good, I knew it was all going to come together at once," I said, though Iwas still struggling to take it all in, "So more partying tonight?"
There had been so many parties recently, but all of them were for very good reasons.
"We better not," Blake said, "we've got a big day tomorrow, but I don't see why we can't have a couple of drinks."

"You know, I should have just listened to you from the beginning," Quinn admitted.
Quinn had come over the next day after school to fill me in on how his morning had gone, with their new band manager, Adam.
"I know that. But you insisted on being negative about it," I said to him.
The band had spent a good couple of hours going over the contract deals to decide which offer was best. Quinn had said they were quite detailed and complicated, and they hadn't really understood a lot of what it all meant. However, Adam had interpreted it all really well for them, and in the end had helped them come to a decision. They all felt happy with their final choice. The deal meant they had to release an album as soon as possible, within the next couple months if they could. They would also have to release at least three, preferably four singles off the album. Everyone was okay with that, knowing it was doable, but they wouldn't have a lot of time. The next task was for them to get stuck into writing songs, which they were really looking forward to, because they now knew it was going to result in their own album, finally. They already had a lot of writing material so they wouldn't have to come up with too much new stuff, although the more they had to choose from the better.
"So, are you going to stay on at school?" I asked, hoping he still would.
"Yeah, well I'm gonna try for a while, and see how I can handle it with everything."
I was glad he said that. I'd always expected him to quit straight away, as soon as he got the chance.
"I can hardly believe any this. You went from thinking you were never going to get anywhere in this band, to getting signed all within a matter of weeks," I said.
"I know. I can't really come to terms with it yet either. My future is finally becoming clearer," he smiled, "and I'm so glad to be able to share it with you."
I smiled and kissed him. It seemed my life was nearing perfect, and I was going to do my damn best to stop anything that tried to get in the way of that.


AUTHORS NOTE: The chapters are going in weird orders and won't let me change it...so make sure you're reading the right one. Haha.
Sign up to rate and review this story