Categories > Original > Drama > Escaping Reality

Chapter Thirteen

by River 0 reviews

Chapter Thirteen of Escaping Reality.

Category: Drama - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2008-11-03 - Updated: 2008-11-03 - 3981 words

0Unrated
Chapter Thirteen

"Did Adam say anything about the tour dates?" I asked Quinn after congratulating the guys. They had been stoked at the news of a number one album.
"Yeah, we're doing a promotional tour for the album in parts of New Jersey and New York. We'll be doing TV and radio appearances and interviews as well as gigs. Our first show will be here on April eighteenth, a couple of days after your birthday. Then we leave the next day. It's a pretty short tour, only about three weeks,"he said, enthusiastically, but my smile faded.
We'd never been away from each other for that long before. Now that I wasn't speaking to my parents it made it that much harder. As nice as the apartment was, I wasn't looking forward to living here for three weeks - alone. That probably sounded like nothing to a lot of people, but it definitely was for me.
"Are you worried?" Quinn asked, noticing my upset expression, which I was having ahard time hiding.
I wished I could have just let it go, and put a smile on my face, showing him that I was okay with it, as I should have been. I just couldn't help it. Icouldn't control how I felt. So I simply nodded. I wanted to hide the truth from him, but it was too hard, it was easier for him to know how I really felt about him going away.
"Don't be," he said quietly, "come with us."
I looked at him, thinking for a moment. But then I sighed, I had to be reasonable, "I can't, I've got school and a job to go to."
School was nearly over so there was no point in quitting now, as much as I wanted to, and I needed my job for the money. I would do anything to go away with the band, but it really wasn't an option. I couldn't imagine how my parents would react if I went on tour with a band for three weeks. Not that I felt it was anything for them to worry about anymore. But in reality, they would still care.
"I want you there," he said, reaching out and placing his hand on mine.
"I can't," I repeated, but the look on his face made it hard for me to keep my voice stern.
"You've got holiday leave at work, and you'll catch up on school work, you said you were ahead in most of your classes anyway?" his eyes were pleading.
"Why is it so vital I go?" I asked.
I wished he wasn't trying so hard. He had to realize I wanted more than anything to go, but it wouldn't be right for me to go. I couldn't just leave everything behind. I was starting to sound dramatic, it was only three weeks, but three weeks off school would leave me a long way behind, no matter how far ahead I was now. The exams this year meant everything for my future. My future depended entirely on them. When it all came down to it, I just couldn't go. He was going to have to accept that.
Quinn's expression was hurt, "What sort of question is that? I love you, and I want you with me."
I put my lips briefly to his, "I love you too, and you know I really want to go. I just can't. I can't afford to miss any school and I need the money. We don't all become number one musicians," I laughed.
Quinn's expression remained serious, "My money is your money. You don't even need a job anymore, we'll manage."
"No,"I breathed angrily, "don't even suggest that."
How could he even say that? Just because I had an almost rich and famous boyfriend did not mean I could just quit my job and live off his money. I would never do that, I was my own person and I was capable of looking after myself. Quinn noticed how upset I was by what he had said and opened his mouth to say something but I leapt up from the table.
"Kate, don't be like that," he groaned.
I was already out of the room, heading outside for some fresh air. I turned to sit on the step just as Blake and Adam were unloading boxes of alcohol from the car boot.
"Hey,"Blake said cheerfully.
I scooted over, pressing up against the wall so they could get through the front door. I looked out onto the street, watching the cars going past. Not really taking any notice. "Hey."
Adam nodded to me and they went inside, shutting the door behind me. I leaned back against it. I thought about the conversation I had just had with Quinn. What had he expected me to say? Oh great I might as well just give up school while I'm at it, I won't need an education. I can just live off you, like some sort of gold digger. Yeah right. I jumped when the door I was leaning on opened. I sat up and Blake sat down beside me. Neither of us said anything, Iwas still deep in thought, staring out at the road.
"Got a lot on your mind?" Blake said, startling me out of my day dream.
"Yeah, Quinn and I had a bit of an argument," I said, hanging my head.
"Wanna talk about it?" he offered.
"I'm not sure," I said slowly.
I didn't really know if this was something I should be telling other people, but I knew Blake wouldn't say anything to Quinn if I didn't want him to. I briefly recapped the conversation we'd just had.
"He just wants you to be happy," he said after a moment, "You're everything to him, more so than the band."
I thought about his words for a while. I guess I hadn't looked at it like that. Imean, I knew he loved me, but I just didn't see how that lifestyle would make me happy. Talking to Blake I could understand why Quinn would think it would make me happy. I knew Quinn would do anything to make me happy, but in reality, to me that felt like a poor existence. What would I do all day? Go around with my 'girlfriends' shopping and going to beauty spas everyday? I couldn't see that. It just wasn't the type of person who liked that sort of thing. I wanted more out of life than that. I really needed to explain how I felt about it with Quinn and Blake made me see that. Like the advice I had given him so many times, running away from the problems wouldn't solve anything. Sure, we were young and there was a chance we wouldn't be together forever, but Quinn and I truly loved each other. We relied on each other, we planned our futures together. We were a huge part of each others lives and I needed to be straight with him. It was time we had a talk.

- - -
I had a shower and took some time to make myself presentable for the party. I found Quinn in the living room talking to some people. There had to be at least ahundred people here already and it was only seven thirty. I recognized a few people from the party we had gone to at Adam's house a couple of months ago. Ialso saw someone I wasn't too pleased to see at this party, in our apartment.
"He better not take any of that stuff here," I said to Quinn.
"Who?"he asked, taking a sip from his beer, he'd been drinking with the guys all afternoon.
I nodded in the direction of the record producer, Simon.
"He won't, we'll keep an eye on him," he said, although I knew by the time he'd had a few more drinks Quinn wouldn't notice if any trouble was going on.
"I'd rather you just stayed away from him," I said.
It was bad enough that he had been their record producer, but I didn't really want them to become friends in case he tried to pressure Quinn into taking more.
Quinn led me out onto the balcony. There was still a while until the warm summer nights arrived, but the temperature was tolerable.
"I'm sorry about how I reacted before. It's just, I don't want to come across as a...gold digger," I screwed my face up as I said the word.
"But you're not, you wouldn't be. You've been with me from the beginning," he said, putting his arm around me.
"I have, but I can't help how I feel. What's going to happen when you're making international number ones, traveling the world, living in a million dollar mansion and you find some other woman you'd rather be with? I'll be left with no education, no money, absolutely nothing," I said, honestly.
"There won't ever be anyone else. It will always be you," he whispered.
"You don't know that. You don't know how you'll feel in five, ten years."
"I don't believe that. Are you planning on leaving me?"
"No, but that's different..."
He interrupted me, "How? How is it different?"
"You're rich and famous. You don't depend on me," I pointed out.
"Well I'm not rich just yet. And you know I depend on you, a lot more than Ishould. But I'm not complaining. Don't let this fame and fortune come between us already, it's only just begun," he said.
I'd noticed how tired he'd been lately. The band had been so busy recently and he needed to take it easy before they went away on tour with a hectic schedule.
I leaned against him and sighed, "I just don't know."
"Well do you love me?" he asked plainly.
"Yes,"I said without a second of hesitation, as he knew I would. But I really didn't think that had anything to do with the conversation.
"Then don't worry. We'll work it out," he said.
I stayed silent, still not completely convinced things would work out as simply as he suggested they would.
"Please don't worry. I love you, and I'll do anything to make you happy," he said and kissed my forehead.
That's what I worry about, I thought. I had to believe what he said, believe everything would be okay.

- - -
The following week passed by, and I was busy with school and work. The day before my birthday I was out getting some groceries, we hadn't been in a long time and the cupboards were looking bare. I got out of the cab and heard someone calling my name. I spun around to see who it was. As the two girls came closer, I still couldn't recognize who they were.
"Are you Kate?" the taller girl asked.
"Yes..."I said slowly, trying to remember meeting them before. But my mind drew a complete blank.
"So you're going out with Quinn from the band, Your Only Addiction?" the shorter girl with glasses asked.
"Yeah, that's me," I said, realizing that I'd never met them before. They were just fans of the band.
"Can we get a photo with you?" the taller girl asked excitedly.
I found there question amusing more than anything, why would they want a photo with me? I was just the singer's girlfriend, "Really? Well, of course you can."
They stopped someone walking by and asked them to take the photo of us. I posed with the two girls they were even younger than me. I guessed they were probably thirteen. I smiled for the photo and the girls thanked me. They surprised me even more by asking for an autograph. I was full of confidence and began to chat away with them about the band while I signed some pieces of paper they found in their handbags. I didn't even have an 'autograph', so I just used a simple variation of my signature. It wasn't too pretty, but if this became a regular occurrence, which I doubted, I could work on it.
"Well thanks. Say hi to the guys for us," The girls smiled and walked away, full of excitement.
Were they excited because they had met me? I really found that hard to believe. Istood in the middle of the sidewalk for a moment, completely stunned by what had just happened. I couldn't wait to get home and tell Quinn. He'd find it funny enough.

- - -
"Even I haven't been asked for a photo yet," Blake said when I told them what had happened to me while I was out.
"That's because you're ugly," Aaron laughed. Blake gave him a look and then Aaron added, "Kidding man! You're gorgeous."
I laughed and continued putting away the groceries.
Quinn walked into the room, looking exhausted, he hadn't been feeling well lately."And guess what? Our single just made it to number one in the UK."
"Whoa, that's awesome," I said.
So they were already reaching international fame. I knew from this moment, when they started touring and getting out more in the pubic it would dawn on them just how famous they actually were. Lately they hadn't gone out a lot, but Iknew that was all about to change. They had done a few more radio interviews. Quinn had been nervous after the first one, but they'd all gone really well. They had fans ringing up just to say hi. Not to ask any questions, just to say hi. Their websites had gotten to the point where they could no longer reply to the comments and messages they got at because every minute there was another one. It was just getting more and more crazy, and it was only going to get more intense as more people came aware of them and they started touring. Now their single was number one in another country, people over there were talking about the band. It was really insane. And I didn't know what to expect in the future. People even knew who I was. That was what had made me realize just how insane all of it really was.

- - -
I woke up early on my birthday, just like I had done every year since I was little. I stayed in bed for as long as necessary and then got up. To my surprise the guys had made breakfast for me, much more than I would have expected. Thinking about it, this was only the second time they had cooked since we moved in, over two months ago.
"Thanks guys, you didn't need to," I said appreciatively.
"You'll have to wait until later in the day to get your real present from us," Quinn explained sitting down with me at the table.
I had no idea what it was they hadn't been giving anything away.
It was after lunch I got a surprise visitor. I heard the doorbell ring, and I had no idea who it would be. Blake answered the door and called out to me.
"Kate, you've got visitors," he came in through the living room doors with my parents.
I had hoped they would ring, but I hadn't expected them to come and visit me.
"Hi mom, hi dad," I said cheerfully.
"Happy Birthday," Mom smiled, giving me a hug.
I was relieved to have them here with me. To my surprise Dad also gave me a hug, which I gratefully returned.
"Thanks, would you like to sit down? Have a coffee?" I offered.
"No, no. We won't stay long. We were just on the way to visit your aunty and thought we'd come and say hello on the way," Dad said.
"About our arguments recently," Mom said with hesitation, "you've grown up sooner than we were expected. We were hoping for a couple of more years of you to ourselves yet. But we see you have your own life now, and we're proud of you, and want to support you in anything you want to do."
I smiled at her. That was exactly how I felt and I was glad they could see that now.
"And we wanted to give you this," Dad said holding out an envelope.
I opened it carefully to find a card and a cheque. It was a big cheque. Not something I felt they should be giving me.
"I can't accept this," I said with a gasp.
"Yes you can. You're our daughter, and it's what we want you to have, a birthday present," Mom insisted. Dad looked at me in agreement.
I really couldn't believe it, and I certainly didn't feel like I deserved it, especially after the way I had been acting towards them recently.
"Is it some sort of trust fund?" I asked, not wanting to sound rude, but I didn't think my parents had this sort of money ready to give out. It was more money than I had ever made at my job.
"It's kind of like that," Mom said, apparently not willing to share anymore information on the subject.
"Well, I don't know what to say, thank you," I said, unwanted tears welling up in my eyes.
I felt guilty for acting out over the past couple of months.
"Don't mention it. Well we better get going, nice to see you love," Mom said, hugging me again.
"Take care," dad said.
I walked them to the front door and thanked them again. Quinn also couldn't believe what they had just given me.
"It's time for your present from us now," Quinn smiled.
"It's mainly from Quinn, but we're chipping in a little bit," Kyle said.
"Thanks guys, you didn't have to," I said. My day was perfect enough already, I didn't know what else could have made it any better.
"The taxi's waiting!" Blake called from outside.
"Where are we going?" I asked Quinn as we got inside the taxi.
"We're going shopping," he winked.
I laughed. Five boys were going shopping with me? That was going to be interesting.

- - -
It was a long, but wonderful day. I was treated like a queen, really. We went to heaps of different clothes shops, and although I hadn't wanted to at first, Ihad picked out a whole wardrobe full of new clothes. Then we went to a make-up store and they bought me a lot of new, high quality, make-up. I then got my hair and make-up done professionally. I watched Quinn closely throughout the day as he bought me all these things and I couldn't help but notice the sparkle in his eye when he didn't even have to take a second look at the price tag because they had just had their first payment of royalties, a lot more than they had been expecting. He was happy to be buying all these things for me. And although I had tried to at the beginning, I wasn't complaining at all by the end of the day. I felt gorgeous and I was so happy. It was the best day I'd had in a long time, and there had been a lot of them lately.
"See, isn't this the lifestyle you want?" Quinn asked, kissing me, later that night.
Even though it had been a fabulous day I still couldn't bring myself to live off the money the band made, they worked so hard for it. It wasn't something that I was comfortable with. I thought about my day out I'd just had with them, being able to have practically anything that I wanted. Would it really be that bad? I was so confused about everything. I'd been obsessing about it so much lately, and now I wasn't even sure what I had been worrying about. Quinn was always reminding me he'd do anything to make me happy. Anything. And he was making me happy, but didn't that just make me selfish? What did I have to give him? That was where my problem lay. He could give me everything I wanted, but what could I give him? I asked him.
"You are everything I'll ever want. You make me happy, and that's all that matters,"he said, pulling my t-shirt over my head and kissing me gently.
I sighed, what could I say to that? I decided to think about it in the morning, right now a serious conversation wasn't on my mind.

- - -
I surprised to see it was past midday when I woke the next day. I hadn't gone to sleep until well after two, but I hadn't meant to sleep in this long. I got up and threw my dressing gown around me, one of the many birthday presents from Quinn. I was shocked to find that as I put it on I didn't feel one slight pang on guilt, none at all. Was this really all it took to get used to the idea of afamous, rich boyfriend? Surely it couldn't be that easy. For a start I had worried that I wouldn't like the lifestyle. Now I knew that wasn't true, Iloved it, and I knew I could easily get used to it. I just didn't want to be that rude about it, like I felt I would be if I chose to live like Quinn suggested. I really didn't know what to think. I sat on the edge of the bed, thinking for a minute. I would be able to stay at school, just take those three weeks off, they weren't in the holidays unfortunately. I'd take as much school work with me as I could though, I'd need something to do during the days the band had to go to interviews and things like that anyway. I'd be able to take some holiday leave from my job, because I did have quite a bit owing. I was planning on quitting that soon anyway, when I found the right time. I still had my benefit money as well as the unexpected birthday money from my parents. There would be my holiday pay I was owed as well, so money wouldn't be aproblem for a while anyway. Even though Quinn assured me, and had shown me yesterday that money was no longer an issue. If only I could find a way to get a job while being on tour. Who knows, maybe my lucky streak would continue and something would come up. Okay, so maybe Quinn's proposition had just come out of the blue. Now that I had time to think about it and get used to the idea, it didn't seem quite as bad as I had made it out to be. Maybe, just maybe, this could work. Quinn was going to be very pleased with my decision. I was going to keep from telling him until after show.
The band had just arrived home from a spectacular gig and they had really enjoyed meeting some of their fans after at their first meet and greet. I had gone home after the show so they could spend some quality time with their fans.
"I've made a decision," I said, with a smile, anticipating his reaction.
"You're going to come on tour?" he asked, also smiling.
I nodded, "How did you guess? And are you sure I won't be in the way?"
"I just knew you wouldn't have been able to resist. Of course you won't be in the way, it'll be great to have you there," he assured me.
I was suddenly very excited about the next few weeks. It would be a whole new experience for the band, and I would be joining them. They were getting their itineraries tomorrow, and I couldn't wait to pack my bag full of my new make-up and clothes. How had I thought any differently about it in the past?
Sign up to rate and review this story