Categories > Anime/Manga > Naruto > Kuenai no kitsune

Kuenai no kitsune

by artsistgurl 0 reviews

There is always a story behind the catastrophic events in history. The attack of the Kyuubi no Kitsune is no different.

Category: Naruto - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama - Characters: Naruto - Warnings: [!] [V] - Published: 2008-09-15 - Updated: 2008-09-16 - 2224 words

0Predictable
Prologue

The Kitsune

In the time before the attack on Konoha by the mighty Kyuubi no Kitsune, the nine-tailed fox, peace reigned over the land of Fire. Yet it was not solely due to human efforts that this peace remained. There were other forces….or should we say foxes….working in their own ways to preserve the serenity of the country.


The forest was eerily quiet, much to the annoyance of one who wished the birds would not fall so silent as to belay his or her presence. A lone shadow, which it would be called if it would stay in one place long enough to be seen, flitted through the underbrush, making no sound but that of a passing breeze. Pausing for a moment in a particularly dense bush, the creature tilted its muzzle into the wind, its powerful nose picking up the story the breeze had to tell. A thick, bushy tail flicked a fly absently, even the subconscious movement undetectable.

Slowly, the wind shifted and the sign of its prey approaching brought a mischievous grin to its features, a trickster’s glint to its eyes. Slipping like flowing water to the next spot, closer to the rough dirt pat, its silky-furred ears twitching at the sound of footsteps and rumbling wheels. A pair of intelligent eyes watched as a seemingly average cart approached the furred animal’s location, though said creature made no move to flea as many other forest creatures would. The cart pulled even and a black nose twitched at the sent of metal, out of place on the wooden cart filled with grain and other food goods. Muscles tensed in anticipation, expectant.

Sure enough, the creature’s efforts were rewarded as one of the cart’s wheels smacked against a hidden obstacle, shattering the appendage and startling the men around it. Shouts and curses floated in the air, though the following explosion soon silenced them. A snicker from the roadside caught the attention of the men, or it would have if they all hadn’t been caught in the blast. In the following quiet, a figure trotted out of the brush and over to the remains of the blast, examining it with a critical eye.

Out in the open, the animal could be seen fully. Sanding at just over two feet tall at the shoulder and about three feet from nose to tail-tip, its red-orange coat ruffling in the gentle breeze, dispersing the smoke and dust. The fox snickered as it overturned several sacks, revealing melted kunai, as well as the remnants of the paper bombs that had been hidden with them. This group of rebel’s had been heading toward the fire country capital in an effort to restart a war between the Land of Fire and Stone. Simply done by blowing up something or other. Idiots.

Sensing the border guards who had heard or felt the blast approaching fast, the vulpine quickly tossed two of the lighter bags of food onto its sturdy back and calmly trotted off into the forest again, a devious and pleased flick of its two tails the only sign of its pride in its deed.


A breeze plays through the treetops near the mountainside. Moving serenely on the path that really isn’t a path at all, yet she followed it all the same. Yes she, for none can carry themselves the way she does, like a vixen does. The sacks of food still securely on her back, the creature appears to melt out of the tree line. Stretched out in front of her is a vast field freshly plowed by the farmer in an effort to re-grow the crops lost in a recent ninja scuffle.

Amazing those involved in the fight gave no though that perhaps a katon jutsu may not be the best choice when standing in a corn field. With a snort and a shake of her head, the fox sets off across the open field; her senses wide open for any danger. Soon, a farmhouse comes into view and the two-tailed kitsune easily approaches, yet makes no move towards the main house. Passing the food storage hut, the strong tails lift the two sacks from its back and drops them carefully with ones similar, almost like an after thought. Without so much as a pause, the kitsune makes her way past the residence and trots into the forest beyond, reaching it faster then any human could. Pausing just once, she swivels her head to recheck her work.

As though on cue, a woman steps out of the house, her hand resting on her swollen stomach and a strained yet content smile on her face.

A foxy smile stretches across the vixen’s face and she melts away once again, thoroughly pleased with herself. She travels at a swift pace for a bit longer, sometimes on the ground, but other times through the trees by leaping from one branch to another. As evening begins to approach, the kitsune finally reaches her destination with an inaudible sigh of relief. A large den opening, dug into the mountain itself greets her as she slips inside. The sudden dark is not a problem for her sharp eyes and sensitive whiskers. She heads deeper, sounds and scents now reaching her, making a vulpine grin spread across her features.

“Kuenai, I see you have returned. Successful I hope,” a deep voice resonated through the tunnel, and the fox, now dubbed Kuenai (the cunning one), found comfort in it. At that moment, she reached the end and entered a large room. Few would realize they were still underground, as the massive space had grass growing on the floor, the high ceiling a mere speck in the distance. Light streamed down from above in the tint of multi-colored kitsune-bi (fox-fire) that burned day and night around the top of the structure. An underground stream ran through, providing water and the occasional fish. The space was as large as the mountain it was under, providing room and space for a multitude of creatures. Which was good.

“Hai, tousan,” Kuenai yipped and plopped her tired self down to the right of a very large kitsune. Said fox chuckled at her antics and gave a small grin as a one-tailed kitsune raced over.

“Neesan! Neesan(older sister)! You’re back!” the little one cried, pouncing on her said sister and causing them both to roll. The older sister yipped in annoyance and stopped their travels with one tail while scooping the young upstart off with the other.

“Hai, hai. I’m back, imouto (younger sister).”
“So, so! Tell me what you did!” the little one cried. A soft, but vibrating laugh filled the space.

“Kaaaaasaaaaaan, make neesan tell me the story!” The large fox that approached fondly tickled the little one-tailed into fits of laughter while her older sister took refuge behind their massive father.

“Hide me, tousan!”

“Oh, no. I would like to here this myself,” her father breathed out between chuckles. Kuenai huffed, but decided the argument wasn’t worth the effort and settled herself between her tousan’s front paws as he looked down in amusement. She glared back as if to say ‘If I must do it, then I will be comfortable in doing so’. It only served to make him chuckle harder. It was as close to roaring laughter her father ever got.

“Tousan!” came a call and the two-tailed growled at being interrupted just as she was about to begin. Another fox trotted through the opening and the little one’s eyes lit up once again. The newcomer saw this and mentally cursed as the one-tailed raced towards him.

“Aniiki!” she barked, and two kitsune were once again sent tumbling. Kuenai scowled and looked up at her mother.
“She really should get out more.” The two adults had the decency to look sheepish. The newly dubbed ‘aniiki’ made his way over to the group, his two tails swinging behind him.
“Yay! Now we get two stories!”

“Hush now, and let your sister and brother speak,” their mother replied. And so the day past with the two oldest telling the day’s stories of how they did their part to keep their land safe, for they were the protectors of the land. But only one was the Lord Protector, who was none other than Kuenai’s father…


…Kyuubi no Kitsune.


Two years pass.

The powerful Kyuubi no Kitsune, Protector of the Land of Fire, and Lord of the nine Biju, was on his way to Konohagakure no Sato.

With the intent to kill.

Now the shinobi of Konoha, both during and after the attack, tried to make sense of just why this ‘demon’ had attacked. Perhaps it was wandering the land and Konoha was in its way? Perhaps it simply wanted to kill for the sake of killing? Or maybe it was somehow angered at the village for being in its territory? The last would be the closest.

Though they all had some type of merit, for some Biju did act that way, but mostly it was the sight the Kyuubi had beheld just a day before the massacure.

== Furasshubakku no jutsu (flashback technique)==

After a day of patrolling the land, unseen by human eyes, the great Kyuubi was looking forward to getting home to his mate and three kits, the only survivors of this century’s litter. For unlike most foxes, that have kits each year, tailed kitsune can’t leave the den until they reach three tails, which takes about a century, depending on the kits. His eldest daughter, Kuenai, had just reached her third tail the previous week, but was still not used to its power, and so could not leave. His eldest, and only son, was fast reaching that point as well. And his little girl had acquired her second tail, much to her delight. Chuckling at the memory, he approached the den tired, but in high spirits, anxious to be with his family.
But upon approaching closer, a scent reached him that made his fiery blood chill and his eyes open wide.

Blood.
Fox blood and human blood.

With a jolt, he raced to his home to come across a sight that was forever seared into his mind. Lying at the mouth of the tunnel, was his oldest son. His fur matted with dried crimson, a dull sheen to his lifeless eyes. A frightened snarl etched onto his stiff features. Next to him lay a human, also splashed with red, face down. Obviously dead. Seeing that nothing could be done, the grief-stricken father moved inside, trying to ignore the stench of blood and death that assaulted him. He must believe they had survived. They had to.

As he entered the main chamber, his little bit of hope was destroyed, violently. His mate’s large and beautiful body lay here the edge of the cavern, numerous human bodies telling she did not go down without a fight. Next to her lay his little girl, sliced with the blood-dipped kunai that lay around her, some still sticking out of her once glossy fur. There was no movement in the room, no breathing but his own ragged heaves. Something was nagging at his mind. Something was missing.

Kuenai.

Yes, his eldest daughter was not among the bodies. With guarded hope, he searched the entire den, but found no sign of her. With despair and rage rolling through him, he noticed one of the men was still alive, but barely.

“Who did this!” he roared at the man. Said human looked at him with terror in his dying eyes.
“Master….orders….he….Hokage…sama….orders….” he repeated before falling silent, to speak no more. On his forehead, his hiate-ate,was the symbol for Konohagakure etched into the metal.

How dare they! How dare they. I have protected them and what are my thanks? The slaughter of my own family…. my mate…. my…. Kits… They. Will. All. DIE. FOR. THIS!


The now massive fox launched himself out of the cave and roared his pain to the heavens, so much that even Kami paused in his workings, if for only a moment. Red eyes full of pain, hate, and bloodlust set upon the village. Gathering his youki (demon chakra), he set off towards the focus of his hate.

A far distance away, a man stands far downwind of the rampaging ‘demon’, pleased with his work. His elongated tongue flicks along his lips and his yellow-silted eyes crease in mirth. All the while, the ninja around race back to their village, to warn the Yondaime of the coming destruction. The man beside him smirks, though it is hidden behind a mask, contempt rolling off him in waves.

In the Biju Lord’s wake, a weak but living creature stumbles out of the underbrush, unable to conceal herself any longer as she wakes from unconsciousness. The three-tailed kitsune collapses to the ground, the last thing her eyes see is the back of her enraged father.

“Tousan…tou….san….” But her efforts are futile as she slips into darkness once again. She goes unnoticed in the dense forest as her kitsune nature takes over, and she shimmers out of sight, hidden behind an illusion so strong, no genjutsu master could break it.

== Furasshubakku no jutsu….KAI! (release)!==
Sign up to rate and review this story