Categories > Anime/Manga > Fruits Basket

My Dearest

by mayura_nacht 0 reviews

Character piece in which Kagura discusses her affections for Kyo, Tohru and other matters. (Set during anime series.)

Category: Fruits Basket - Rating: G - Genres: Angst - Characters: Kagura - Published: 2006-03-12 - Updated: 2006-03-13 - 434 words - Complete

0Insightful
I love him. Kyo is the one I will marry and he knows it despite how much he protests. He promised me when we were little. I'll love him no matter what. Even if it means I get hurt.

I've seen how he smiles at Tohru-kun. She's a sweet girl, I like her, but Kyo is sweet on her. He only smiles like that when he's with her, never with me. It makes me jealous. She's my rival! Yet, she's my friend. I'm so confused.

Kyo's been my only love since we were little. He always asked me to play when everyone else ran away. We're alike, he and I. The others left us alone, so we only had each other. It's not really they're fault, they're afraid of him. It's the curse. The rest of the family is supposed to shun the Cat, it's how it's been for centuries. They just don't know Kyo. Nobody understands him except me...and now Tohru-kun.

She's gotten through to him where I've failed. He's opened up a lot now that she's come to stay with him, Shigure and Yuki. Yuki's also been friendlier I've noticed. It's all because of her. He and Kyo don't fight nearly as much as they used to even if they still insult each other every other sentence. I should shove her at Yuki and keep Kyo for myself, but that's not fair.

Tohru-kun once said she admired my devotion to Kyo and wished she could one day find someone to love as much as I love him. I know she will. She's soft spoken, caring and something this family has needed, an optimist. We're all weighed down by this curse in one way or another, but she's not. I admire her for her strength and wish I could be as positive as she is, then maybe Kyo might smile at me. I want to see that smile.

I'm losing him, a piece at a time. Maybe it's time to give up my childhood dream of marriage and focus on something more real. He's my cousin, but I love him and I always will. I can't get over my dream, but I'm not winning this battle. He's turning away from me and towards her. Like he's looking for that first ray of sunshine after a storm. I'm sad, but I won't give up. I never give up and that's what makes me, me. Now though, I must tread carefully and learn what I can from Tohru in hopes that one day he'll see that there is more than one ray of sunlight.
Sign up to rate and review this story