Categories > Original > Romance > Complicated Love

Ch.1

by brokenhearted411 0 reviews

...

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-11-15 - Updated: 2008-11-16 - 4010 words

0Unrated
Chapter One:
The Move
Five Years Ago
November 1, 2002

“Hey Mel, are you going to Devin’s party tonight. I heard he really wants you to go,” Andrea, my best friend since first grade, said to me as we were walking out to the parking.
“I don’t know. What time is the party?” I asked trying so hard to sound nonchalant. Devin Brooks is a senior at our practically perfect Lincoln High in San Francisco. He is star quarter-back for our football team; 6”1’, 150 lbs, brown hair in a buzz-cut hairstyle, hazel eyes, and a perfectly built body with a nice, even tan to go with it. And he has been into me for a while, a junior of 5”5’, blond hair that goes below my waist, dark blue eyes, and an almost perfect body; with two time the average-sized boobs, an hour glass figure, and an average sized ass. This is a match made in heaven! Even though, he hasn’t asked me out, which I can’t figure out why?
“After the game, around nine.” Andrea’s boyfriend, Brandon Higgins, also a senior football player and Devin’s best friend, chimed in as soon as he joined us.
“I’ll try to make it, and if I can’t go I’ll IM you before the game.”
“Wait, you’re not going to the game?” Andrea asked looking surprised.
“No, my parents are having this dinner party and some people from work are coming over and as the hostess’ daughter I have to stay home.” I tried to sound as sad as I could, but the truth is, I really didn’t want to go to the game. Devin was going to be there of course, but the people coming over are more important to me, especially when one of them is an alumnus for Yale.
“But you always got to the games.” She pleaded.
“I know. But an alumnus for Yale is coming over and I want to make a good impression.”
“You know Mel, if I didn’t know you and I just saw you walking, I wouldn’t have thought you were that into academics.” Brandon said turning to look at me.
“Yeah well, looks are deceiving Brandon. I mean you should know, ‘cuz one look at you and I would’ve thought you were a decent guy. But you’re actually full of shit!”I said turning my attention to Andrea who just shook her head.
“Ha-Ha. That’s real original.”
“It is when I’m the one saying it.”
“You’re a little-“
“Melanie!”
“Oh God, it’s my mother.”
“Uh, Mel we’ll catch you later. IM me if you’re not going to the party. If you don’t I’ll assume you are coming.” Andrea said as she and Brandon started walking away.
“Hopefully I’ll see you guys later and I’ll definitely IM you if I’m not going.” I made my over into the car.
“So I see you’re still hanging out with Andrea.”
“Hey Mom.” Mom has never liked Andrea. She thinks Andrea is a bad influence on me, as if I’m really that good.
“You know how I feel about her.”
“I know. Umm, Mom,” I said in a sort of scared tone as we started driving out the parking lot, “there’s this party tonight after the game I was wondering if I could go.”
“Who’s throwing the party?”
“Devin Brooks.”
“Absolutely not.”
“Why not?”
“That boy is trouble. There is no way I’m letting him near my girl.”
“But Mom-“
“No buts, my word is final.”
God! Why does she always have to have a stick up her ass. This is the party that everyone is going to be talking about for the rest of the year. The end of the season after game party is always the biggest. And it’s going to be even bigger this year, because Devin, the star quarter-back is throwing it.
“Hey Sweetie.” Dad said when we entered the house.
“Uhhhhhhhhh!” I screamed, ran up to my room and slammed the door as hard as I could.
“You have Instant Message.”
As I walked over to my computer I already felt the dread of telling Andrea I couldn’t go.
luvzcookies01: hey Mel
hotchik411326: hey drea
luvzcookies01: so u comin to the party?
hotchik411326: cant my mom freaked when I told her devin was throwing it
luvzcookies01: this sucks ass
hotchick411326: tell me about it but do me a favor?
luvzcookies01: ya anything
hotchik411326: make a good excuse for me when u tell devin why I couldn’t go k
luvzcookies01: y? ur mom wouldn’t let u go that’s good enough
hotchik411326: drea r u serious? it sounds so lame
luvzcookies01: so wat do u want me to tell him then?
hotchik411326: tell him that I had to help out at my dads business
luvzcookies01: oh ya cuz that doesn’t sound lame
hotchik411326: do u have a better one
luvzcookies01: actually i do
hotchik411326: wat?
luvzcoookies01: cant tell you bye
luvzcookies01 has signed off
Oh No! Whatever Andrea is going to tell him, it’s going to be bad. I shouldn’t have suggested that she think of something! If she tells him something embarrassing I’m going to kill-
Knock. Knock.
“What?!?” I yelled through the door.
“Can I come in?” It’s dad.
“Fine.”
“You know pumpkins, your mom is right. Devin Brooks is trouble and don’t you want to go to Yale?”
“Yeah, but daddy this is like one of the biggest parties of the year.” Yes I still call my dad daddy. I am daddy’s little girl after all.
“I know, but there will be other parties.”
“But not like this one.” I whined.
“Sweetie, unfortunately this one party, as big as it might be, is going to be going on with you. Now get ready before my colleagues arrive.”
“Yes daddy.” I was completely dumbfounded. He is supposed to be on my side here! Well he was right about two things: the party is going to go one without me and I really do need to get ready before his people arrive. To make a good impression, should I wear the black knee-length dress with the gold lace at the top or the red floor-length dress with the black less at the top at bottom? I looked over each one in my full-length mirror. I’ll definitely go with the black.
“Melanie are you ready? We need you down here!” Mom called up the stairs.
“I’m coming!” I yelled back. I take back what I said about not going to the game. I’d rather be there than here!
“I’m glad you chose the black dress. It suits the occasion.” Mom said assessing what I was wearing.
Knock. Knock.
“They’re early!” Mom said freaking out.
“No Mom, we’re just running late.”
“Oh God!”
Knock. Knock.
“Well answer it!” Dad yelled from the kitchen
“I’m going.” I literally ran from the family room, where Mom and I were fixing it up, all the way to the front door. Our mansion is so huge running from the family room to the front door is exhausting.
“Hello Mr. Hill.” Evan Hill has been a friend of the family for nearly six years, ever since he started working for my dad. He’s twenty-seven, which makes him ten years older than me.
“You know Melanie; I have known you for nearly six years, so it’s okay to call me Evan.”
“Thank you, but I’ll stick with Mr. Hill. My parents are settled in the family room. Would you like me to take you there or can you find it on your own?”
“Melanie, like I said I’ve been coming over your house for years. I’m sure I can find the family room by now.”
As he passed me, he kissed me on my cheek and whispered, “Oh and by the way, you look sexy tonight.”
The nerve of that man! I swear if he didn’t work for my dad I’d-
Knock. Knock.
“Hello Mr. and Mrs. Allan.” I said trying to force my anger back down.
“Hello Melanie.” They said simultaneously.
“My parents are in the family room, I’m sure you know where it is.”
“Yes, thank you.”
The guests kept coming like flies around a pile of shit.(I guess you can tell I’d really rather be elsewhere.) There is Mr. and Mrs. Stevens, Mr. Whiggins, Mr. White, Mr. and Mrs. Mendoza, Mr. Atkins, Mr. Washington, and Mr. Montgomery. All work for my dad in the main office, and are very good friends of my parents. My dad has known most of everyone since college. Except for those a lot younger than him like Mr. Hill and Mr. Whiggins, who only attend these dinner parties because my parents consider them their like children.
It’s now eight-thirty; the game is probably over and we probably beat the Valliant’s asses and everyone is probably on their way to Devin’s house. Everyone except-
“Melanie, can you pass the bread?” Mr. Hill asked me. I really didn’t like that look in his eyes.
“Yes, Mr. Hill.” I said passing him the bread. As his hand gently brushed over me, it sent a shiver down my spine.
Dad stood up and raised his wine glass, as did everyone. Me, I raised my glass of Coca-cola.
“I’d like to thank all of you for your support in this new endeavor that I’ve finally accomplished.”
What new endeavor? What did he finally accomplish? Why haven’t I heard of this before now? He always tells me about a new project that he’s started!
“I received word this morning that Gibson Corporations has successfully launched a Gibson Corp. Bank in Falcon, Colorado.”
Everyone was clapping, though I really didn’t understand why. Dad opens his banks all over the country, why is this one so important?
“As you all may know, Falcon, Colorado is where our competitor Gates Incorporated has their headquarters. To make the competition have a winner, we need to make the competitor back out of the race. And the only way to do that is for Gibson Corporations to move to Falcon, Colorado and firmly plant our feet into the ground and continue business there.”
Wait! What is he talking about? Is the company moving? Are we moving with it?
“We have word that next Tuesday we will be heading off to Colorado. I have already made high quality accommodations for everyone at this table. If for any reason you are unable to move with us, please speak up now.”
Here’s my chance. “Wait, we’re moving?” I asked, my anger quickly rising.
“Mel, we’ll talk about this later.” Mom said to me in a quiet tone.
“No! Daddy, tell me are we really moving? As in goodbye California and hello Colorado?”
“Yes. Mel, sweetie-“
“How can you do this to me? It’s my junior year.”
“Exactly, which means you still have a year to make new friends at Falcon High.”
“I don’t want new friends. We’re always moving! The one time we stay in a place longer than six months, I had an actual life. I was normal for once.”
“Melanie.” My mom said with firmness in her voice.
“No! I hate this!” Everyone’s eyes were on me, but I didn’t care. As tears started to pour out of my eyes I backed out of my seat and ran up to my room! But I quietly opened the door to hear what my parents were saying.
“I’m so sorry about this. We didn’t tell her before; we thought we’d wait until now to tell her assuming she’d handle it a little more maturely.” Dad said with disappointment in his voice.
“Evan and I can go check on her for you.” Mr. Whiggins said.
“Thank you Joseph.”
Great, just what I need. Don’t they know I ran up to my room to be ALONE!
“You have Instant Message.”
I closed the door and sat down at the computer. It was Andrea.
luvzcookies01: so i just got back from the party and u’ll never guess what devin said about you! ;)
hotchik411326: it doesn’t matter as of next tues. ill be in Colorado
luvzcookies01: WHAT! u cant be serious
hotchik411326: ya i am my dad just announced it
luvzcookis01: that is friggin shitholes and it is fuckin stupid y does ur hole family have to move
hotchik411326: he said its to b no. 1 in polls
luvzcookies01: this sucks ass specially since devin is coming by ur house 2morrow @ 1
hotchik411326: omfg now he decides to do something
luvzcookies01: howd u kno
hotchik411326: know wat?
luvzcookies01: 2morrow hes going to take u over to his place for FUN
hotchik411326: he is? well he’ll b having fun alone cuz ill b packing
luvzcookies01: again u cant b serious
Knock. Knock.
“Go away!” I yelled.
hotchik411326: wat am I supposed to do? sleep with him when im leaving and hes going off 2 college
“Mel, it’s Joey and Evan.”
“Again, go away!”
“We’re sorry, but we can’t.” They entered my room just as Andrea replied.
luvzcookies01: he says its more than that its actually really creepy like he knos things bout u only a stalker would kno
“What are you guys doing here? I thought I said I wanted to be alone.” Great! As if finding out that I’m moving wasn’t enough, the senior I’m interested in is a psycho and I have two perverts working for my dad who want to get with me. Could my life get any worse.
“You know, even when you move to Colorado, you won’t be alone, because we’ll be there.”
“I feel a whole lot better.” Oh yeah, that was not full of sarcasm…
“What’s this?” Mr. Hill said as he was reading my IM.
“Nothing.” I had to tell Andrea I’d see her at school Monday, so as soon as I said “nothing” I typed faster than ever before.
hotchik411326: drea I have 2 go evan and joey r in my room see u Monday
luvzcookies01: ill tell u more bout u kno who Monday then bye
hotchik411326 has signed off.

And just like that my IM was gone. And Mr. Hill looked dumbfounded at me.
“This Devin guy, you’re sleeping with?” Mr. Hill asked in a jealous tone.
“Evan, this is not the time. We’re supposed to be comforting her making her more angry,” Mr. Whiggins said taking note of my very pissed of look.
“I don’t need your fake as hell comforting. I need to be alone!” I said walking over to my door.
“Melanie, you’re angry about moving we understand.”
Oh no he did not just pull a “I understand, now cry on my shoulder so I can comfort you in a more sexual way”! And this is coming from Mr. Whiggins!
“Mr. Hill and Mr. Whiggins, I suggest you get the hell out of my room right now!”
“We only want to comfort you.” Mr. Hill said in a sensual tone.
“No, the only thing you want to comfort is my virginity. Now leave me the fuck alone!”
“Melanie, dear, such nasty words can get you in a nasty situation.” Mr. Whiggins said as he closed the door and beckoned Mr. Hill to walk toward me. Mr. Hill pushed me down on my bed. and started to get on top of me. And my day just got worse.
I kneed him in between his legs. “You little whore,” Mr. Hill spat out as he fell to the floor.
“If you don’t get the hell out of my room I’ll scream so loud I’ll crack the window, and you know I’m not lying. Then I’ll tell my father you were trying to rape me. If you don’t want to lose your job, register as a sex-offender, and spend twenty years in prison I suggest you leave.” Just keep the snarl on your face and your voice steady. They won’t sense your fear. Just keep steady.
Mr. Whiggins was weighing the consequences should he go through with what he planned to do. He then turned to Mr. Hill who was now standing and said, “She’s not worth it.”
Even smirked and said, “She might be.”
Mr. Whiggins retorted, “I’m not going to go to jail because of her. At least not yet.” He turned to me and said, “You got lucky this time. Don’t count on it twice.” He walked over to me and backhanded me twice. Then they left, slamming the door behind them.
Thank God! As soon as they left, I plopped down on my bed, and let the tears pour out of me. Though that wasn’t the first time, a guy has tried rape me after I turned him down, it’s still just as scary as the first time. I was twelve and the guy was sixteen, he thought I was older because I had big boobs; when I told him my real age he didn’t back down, so I told him I wasn’t interested. That just made him really pissed off and he tried to force himself on me. Thankfully I remembered what my dad told me, and I kicked him in the balls.
“ Hey Mel.” It was my dad, though my mom was with him.
“We’re sorry we didn’t tell you sooner it’s just that it wasn’t for certain until this morning. And we-”
“Why didn’t you tell me before everyone came?”
“We didn’t know how.”
“Well you certainly knew what to say when they got here.” I said with sarcasm.
“You want to know why we didn’t tell you before,” Dad said with anger, “I thought you would act more maturely than you did downstairs. But apparently I was wrong.”
“Evan and Joseph were kind enough to come and make sure you were okay, but they said you threw them out.”
“Kind enough? Those two perverts were going to rape me. Mr. Hill has had lustful eyes for me since he started working here; and I don’t know what Mr. Whiggins’ problem is, but he’s a perv like Mr. Hill.”
“That is it young lady! You have embarrassed me and your mother. You will not make absurd accusations about Mr. Hill and Mr. Whiggins. Do you understand me? You will not!” Dad yelled that last bit and left the room, mom followed.
First, they drop the bombshell that we’re moving, then I almost get raped by two perverts, and now they won’t even believe me. Just when dad had always said, “Some guy tries to rape or touch you inappropriately, you tell me and I’ll take care of them.” Oh, but Evan Hill and Joseph Whiggins are too good to do something like that. They know the boundaries. Absurd accusations my ass! I swear, once we move, if those pervs try anything ever again, I’ll go straight to the police. Take that sick bastards!
Monday, November 4, 2002
“Hey Mel!” Andrea said as she was walking behind me.
“Hey.” I said rather flatly.
“Is everything okay?”
“No! Today is my last day!”
“I thought you just said that because you were angry you couldn’t go to the party. I can’t believe you’re serious!”
“I know. This is a serious mother fucking shithole!”
“Well, at least you’ll have Devin off your back.”
“Oh yeah. Tell me about that.”
“Well, Brandon said that he talked to Devin at the party and he said he was crazy about you. Her read this,” She said taking out a journal.

I began to read,
Nov. 1, 2002,
I saw Melanie in my English class, and she looked absolutely amazing. For a girl two years younger than me, she certainly makes me want to taste her!
I stopped right there. I wasn’t in the mood to read about some guy’s sexual fantasy about me, especially when I was moving.
“Here,” I said giving it back to Andrea, “I don’t want it.”
“You don’t want it? Mel, this guy is confessing his desires for you.”
“So? I’m leaving tomorrow and I’m not coming back. And besides, in a few years he’s going off to college and I won’t see him then either.”
“What do you mean you’re not coming back?”
“We’re moving Gibson headquarters to Colorado.”
“So you’re not even going to visit?”
“I don’t know. I don’t know anything anymore. I’ll IM you everyday though.”
“You better. Do you remember that saying we had at the end of eighth grade?”
“How could I forget? We had many sayings back in eighth grade, but that was my favorite.”
“You know, over in Colorado, you’re going to have to control yourself bitch!” I chimed in at the last part. We started laughing like crazy.
“I’m going to miss you.” She said after we stopped laughing.
“I’m going to miss you!”
“What’s wrong now?” Brandon said as he and Devin were approaching us.
“Mel’s moving.” Andrea said.
“Wait, you’re moving.” Devin asked a little disappointed.
God, he’s hot! “Yeah, I’m leaving tomorrow actually.”
“Oh. That’s too bad, ‘cuz I was going to ask you out.”
“Yeah, it is too bad.”
“You know Mel, we haven’t gotten along, but I am going to miss you.” Brandon said in a genuine sad tone.
Is he serious? Brandon Higgins is going to miss me! “Wow, after all this time, I always thought you hated me.”
“Like I was really going to admit that you’re a pretty cool friend. Not to mention hot.” He said smirking. Andrea elbowed him lightly.
“What, it’s true, but Drea, you know I’m all for you and only you.” He said taking her in his arms and kissing her.
“You’re going to call, right?”
“Maybe, but I’ll probably just IM you guys.”
“Right.”
With that I said my goodbyes, as a limo was pulling up to take me home.
“A limo? You’re having a limo pick you up?” Brandon said incredulously.
“My parents and I got into a really bad fight. I’ve been avoiding them, and they’ve been avoiding me.”
“Sorry to hear that.”
“Yeah, me too. But, I really got to go, so I’ll IM you guys later.” I hate my life!
Tuesday, November 5, 2002- The Move
“Melanie, come on! Our plane leaves in an hour and a half! We need to get to the airport!” Mom yelled.
“I’ m coming!” I yelled back. At least I don’t have to sit with them on the plane.
Once we boarded the plane I was sat in 32B, first class. I window seat! Yes! As I approached my seat there was a man sitting in 32A. Great! I thought sarcastically.
“Excuse me, can I get in?” I asked kind of rudely.
“Oh yeah, sure.” He said kindly before getting up to let me in.
“I’m Jeremy Sherwood.” He said holding out his hand.
“Melanie Gibson,” I replied shaking his hand.
“So, Melanie, are you staying in Colorado or flying somewhere else?
“Staying. My parents and I are moving there.”
“Oh?”
I filled him in on why I was moving. As the hours passed I spent the whole time talking to him. Well, chances are I won’t ever see him again after this, so I guess it’s okay to tell him about my life. Little did I know that Jeremy and I would be seeing a lot of each other in Colorado.
Sign up to rate and review this story