Categories > Books > Classics > Cast My Ashes Over The Aegean Sea

Chapter One

by BleedingTheOrchid 0 reviews

Homer's epic poem, the Iliad, begins with a conflict between Achilles, the mighty warrior, and Agamemnon, his prideful king. The reason for this conflict is a slave girl named Briseis, and this is ...

Category: Classics - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Romance - Characters: Achilles,Patroclus - Published: 2008-11-26 - Updated: 2008-11-27 - 550 words

0Unrated
Pillars crumbled around her, slick stone that had stood for years, ripped to shreds. Before, they had only broken off little pebbly chunks that had skittered on the ground as they landed, but when the solid rock had began to crack under the pressure and force of the Greek battering ram, she had known it was over. Her life was over, however much of a miserable life it had been, spent fetching constant trifles for the Mistress, never having a full stomach or a thirst that was fully quenched. That was how it had been always, and she had not questioned it; but now it was over. As she crouched in the darkness, which was absolute save for a few patches of sunlight that had shone through the breaks in the stone, she began to mumble praises and entreaties to Zeus, to Hera, to Hades; to any god or goddess that could possibly help her now.
"Di benigni, gratum sunt. Servate me, juvare me..."
Suddenly the last pillar gave way, and she saw the shadow of a man through the cloud of dust that had arisen. The sunlight glinted off his silver armor as he stepped in, calmly surveying the mess. She silently shrunk from him, trying not to be noticed, but as the sunlight hit his face, she could not help a gasp of recognition from escaping her lips - "Achilles!"
He twisted around, the handsome face lit with alarm, but also a fierce look in his eyes that suggested swift punishment for whomever had disturbed his peace of mind. "Who is it?" He barked quickly. Head snapping from side to side, he drew his sword and yelled loudly, "Who has called me?!" Achilles finally caught sight of the dust-covered form in the corner. He slowly advanced, but stopped as he saw the bruises covering her arms and the terrified look haunting her slate-grey eyes.
"Who are you? What is your name? And why are you here?" He asked majestically, but kindly.
"B-B-B-" she stammered, terrified. "B-B-Briseis!"
"Very well." He looked amused. "You have answered but one of my questions. I shall ask the others again, as they appear to have escaped you. Who are you?"
"I'm...I'm..." Briseis paused, wondering how to put who she was into words."I'm Master's slave girl...I do the cooking and help Mistress with the housework."
"I see." Achilles smiled. "And why are you here, in this guard tower, of all places?"
Briseis answered, "I-" and then hung her head in shame, remembering why exactly she was there. "I was...exploring...and Master discovered me...so he locked me in here to punish me."
"Exploring, hmmm?" Achilles' smile began to grow. "So you like seeing new places? Places you've never been before?"
The tiniest hint of a smile appeared on Briseis' face. "Yes, sir."
"Places like, say...the campground of the Greek army?"
Briseis' mouth twisted into a surprised O as Achilles, still smiling, picked her up by her arm. "Well, sir, to be quite honest, um, no, I prefer nature..." But it was too late. Somehow he had already hustled her out of the ragged opening and into his wagon, and now they were bumping down the road, headed towards the resting place of 2,000 Greek soldiers, and their ruthless king, Agamemnon.
Sign up to rate and review this story