Categories > Celebrities > Panic! At The Disco

Brendon's Teenage Life

by kaeast318 2 reviews

Brendon Uries's experience in high school.

Category: Panic! At The Disco - Rating: PG - Genres: Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2008-11-30 - Updated: 2009-05-18 - 2988 words

0Unrated
“Where the hell is he? Brendon is never late” Spencer asked, as he sat at his drums, waiting impatiently for practice to start.
“Relax, I’m sure he’s on his way, he is coming straight from school” Ryan answered going back to his notebook. Jon was sitting on the couch reading a book for class. They were all starting to get a little impatient.
“Sorry I'm late guys, I got caught up at school” Brendon mumbled as he rushed into Jon’s basement. He threw his backpack down and began opening his guitar case, with his back to all the guys.
“It okay man” Spencer replied “We are all just egger to try out the new version of Sins not tragedies, do you think- What the hell happened?” Spencer screamed when Brendon turned around facing everyone with his guitar on his shoulder, revealing a swelling black eye and a busted lip. Spencer’s freak out caused Ryan and Jon to look up from what they were doing, so now all three boys were staring at Brendon with their mouths open waiting for an explanation.
Brendon just stood there blushing and looking at the ground playing with his bangs, as if he could hide his injuries.
“Ha does it really look that bad” Brendon said with a laugh.
“Man are you okay?” Ryan asked, the concern evident in his voice.
“Yeah I'm fine it’s no big deal” Brendon mumbled obviously embarrassed.
“Its just these guys at school that don’t like me very much” Brendon explained. While all four of the boys were about the same age, both Ryan and Spencer went to UNLV, and Jon went to the other high school in the area. Which meant that none of them had any idea what school was like for Brendon, and he wanted to keep it that way.
“What do you mean they don’t like you? Why?” Jon asked confused, sure Brandon could be a little weird sometimes, but he was really a great guy.
“Ha-ha um there exact words are that I am a faggot loser” Brendon explained, he really didn’t want his only friends to know what a loser freak he was considered at school. Up until now he had done a pretty good job of hiding it all from them, but now they knew.
“That sucks man, what are you going to do about it?” Jon asked.
“What do you mean, its no big deal I'm used to it, I only have a year left right and then we are all going to be famous and I can forget them, so can we practice” Brendon replied wanting to change the subject.
“That’s fucked up Bren you shouldn’t have to take it, but yeah we should probably practice” Ryan replied, he would talk to Bren later.


Two hours later the four boys climbed the stairs out of Jon basement. They were all excited about the new version of the song they had been working on.
“Bye guys see you tomorrow” Jon said at the door.
“Yeah bye, I have to get to work, see you guys,” Spencer shouted as he ran to his car.
“Hey Bren do you want a ride” Ryan asked
“Yeah sure that would be great” Brendon answered getting into Ryan’s beat up old civic, “but are going to make me talk about school”
“No, but I want you to know that I know what you are going through, I honestly barely survived high school, it was vicious, but at least I had Spencer with me. I just want you to know that we are all here for you” Ryan said as he pulled onto the road to Brandon’s house “Why didn’t you tell us before?”
“I don’t know I guess I am just embarrassed, I mean I am a senior in high school and I am still getting beaten up on a pretty regular bases, and I don’t have a single friend at my school, I just feel weak and unbearably lame. And I guess I am not really sure why you guys like me enough to let me be in your band. I just didn’t want to mess it up.” Brendon answered looking at his hands.
Hearing these words Ryan suddenly hated all the kids at Brandon’s school. He hated that they could make such a great guy feel like he was worthless.
“What ever man you know that we all like you, you are a great front man we need you in the band, just try not to let them get to you” Ryan encouraged as he pulled up to Brandon’s house, “See you at practice tomorrow”
“Yeah see you, thanks for the ride” Brendon responded, as he grabbed his backpack and headed for his front door. He was not looking forward to greeting his parents in this condition. They always wanted to call the principle, as if that would make any difference, he knew from experience that it would only make things worse.

The next day Brendon stood in front of the school gates, wishing that he would not have to enter. He was considering skipping but he knew that if his grades went down it would mean no more band practice. Finally after a few minutes he took a deep breath and walked in toward his first class.
He really wasn’t exaderating when he told Ryan that he didn’t have any friends. All of his classmates thought he was weird because he talked so much, and sometimes got really excited over nothing. In all his experiences with jock assholes and bullies Brendon had learned to try and be invisible. So he walked to class with eyes cast on the ground, just hoping to make it through the day.
Entering his first class he realized that he must have been a little late because everyone else was in their seats. He apologized to the teacher as he made his way back to his seat in the back row. Out of nowhere he felt a foot stick out in front of him causing him to tumble to the ground. He could hear the laughter of the other students and the asshole that tripped him as he stood up and sat down in his seat.
“This was going to be a really long day,” Brendon thought as he glared at the boy who had tripped him.


Brendon grabbed his lunch and headed to the empty table in the back corner of the cafeteria. He hated lunch, it was embarrassing having to sit by himself he was incredibly vulnerable, he just tried to read a book and pass the time as quick as he could. He just ignored the laughs and stares of his classmates. The bell rang as he gathered up all his books, he should be happy only two more classes until he was out of this hellhole but he had gym right now which pure torture.
Brendon stood facing his locker as he changed. He wished he were invisible, he hated changing in front of all the other guys, it was just another display of how much weaker he was than them. As he pulled his gym shirt over his head, he felt someone shove him from behind into the side of his locker.
“Fuck” Brandon sighed rubbing his forehead, as he turned around to face his tormentors. Brad and Nick stood in front of him laughing.

‘What’s the problem Urie I thought you liked it from behind” Brad growled. “See you in gym faggot” Nick called as they walked out to the field.
Brendon sighed and closed his locker, they were playing football in PE, and Brendon considered the possibility that he might not survive to sixth period.

“School is finally over” Brendon thought relieved as he limped to his car, he had not taken those hits during PE very well, but considering it was supposed to be touch football it could have been worse. His left leg was throbbing and his right wrist hurt, thanks to Brad.
He climbed into his old Volkswagen van and turned up his radio. This was when his day really began, the reason he could face each day, band practice with the guys.

Brendon joined the other guys in Jon basement. Jon and Spencer were playing guitar hero, while Ryan was working on lyrics.
“Hey guys” Brendon called as he gently lowered himself on to the couch. His leg really did hurt.
“Hey”
They all got up to grab their instruments, Ryan watched Brendon closely. He could tell that Brendon was limping and favoring his right arm.
Jon noticed it too.
“Bren are you limping? Did you get beaten up in school again?” Jon was not what anyone would call subtle.
“Haha um no I just took some hits during football in PE” Brendon said while picking at his nails.
“Don’t you only play touch in PE?” Spencer asked, he remembered PE in high school, he was far from the best athlete but he didn’t remember getting hurt.
“Uhh yeah….” Brendon replied, leading to an awkward silence.
Once they started practing Brendon could finally start to relax. The only time he felt confident and sure of himself is when he was belting out Ryan’s awesome lyrics. Brendon had always loved to sing. He had been the lead in many musicals growing up, and he had loved every minute of being on stage. Brandon’s last musical had been when he was Oliver twist his freshman year of high school. That moment had marked the end of his high school social life. It was then that all the gay rumors had started. It was then that Brad and his friends had started messing with him. High school became a pure hell, he tried to make himself invisible but it didn’t seem to be working very well.

Later that night after practice they all went to go get food. They sat around the Denny’s booth laughing and making jokes about each other. As they were all getting their food Ryan’s phone vibrated, he looked at it mentioning that he didn’t know the number before answering it.
“Hello. Yes this is Ryan Ross from Panic at the disco.” Once he mentioned the band everyone looked up from their food.
“Really we got the spot, that’s awesome! So it’s this Friday at the Broken Glass and we need to be there to set up at 7. Yeah we will totally be there, thank you so much man. Yeah see you then” Ryan closed his phone and looked at his amazed band mates faces.
“Ha-ha yeah I forgot to tell you guys that I entered our demo into this contest for an open mike night at this great club in LA, and we got a spot, its this Friday, is it cool with everyone?”
“Fuck yeah its cool with us! John exclaimed.
Brendon just sat their stunned; this would be their first real show outside the shitty little coffee shop gigs.
The four boys just talked about how great this weekend was going to be. It was Tuesday so they only had two more days to get there set down perfect. They talked about every aspect of the upcoming show.
“So its like a four hour drive, so I guess we will have to pick you up from school Brendon, and leave straight from there”. Ryan pointed out.
“Yeah sure” Brendon replied, even though the thought of all the guys being at his school totally freaked him out.

Brendon sat in his sixth period history class, staring at the clock trying to will the seconds to go faster. The guys were picking him up from school and they where going to head straight to the show. He was almost as excited to just hang out with them for the drive, as he was to play the actual show. They had been practicing nonstop for the two days. Brendon just wanted to get the fuck out of school. Finally! He thought as the bell rang, he grabbed his backpack and practically ran toward the front entrance. Brendon saw Spencer’s beat up old van parked on the side of the road, as he descended the front steps. Right as he reached the last step Brendon felt a shove from behind him, causing him to hit the pavement face first.
“Fuck” Brendon muttered as he lifted himself up, and turned to see a smirking Brad flanked by Nick and Josh. Brendon was not in the mood for this today.
“What the hell Brad just leave me alone,” Brendon demanded in the toughest voice he could muster.
“Just leave me alone,” Brad mocked in a high-pitched whiny voice, causing everyone who was watching to laugh.
Brendon just rolled his eyes and tried to walk away, but he was grabbed by Nick who was easily half a foot taller and probably had a good 50 pounds on him.
This is when Ryan noticed what was going on. He was looking toward the front gate wondering what was taking Bren so long, when he noticed the crowd of students. Looking more closely he realized that Brendon was at the center being pushed around be 3 much bigger guys.
“Oh Shit” Ryan screamed as he jumped out of the van sprinting toward the students.
“What’s going on?” Spencer asked as he and Jon jumped out also to chase after Ryan.
Ryan was the first to break through the crowd of students, just in time to see Brendon get sucker punched in the face, and collapse to the ground.
“Hey get the fuck away from him!” Ryan yelled
“Who the hell are you, his boyfriend?” Brad replied before sending a kick to Brandon’s stomach, earning more laughs.
“Hey we said leave him alone” Spencer shouted the three of them now stood between the three jocks and Brendon.
“Yeah maybe the fags had enough for the day” Josh said trying to persuade his friends to leave, messing with Brendon was one thing, but he wasn’t up for a full on fight with these three random guys.
“Fine whatever, But this isn’t over, see you Monday Urie” Brad threatened glaring one last time at the boys that had come to Brandon’s defense, as he walked off with his friends. All the onlookers also walked away, after all the show was over.
“Shit Bren are you okay?” Jon asked as he offered his hand to Brandon who was still sitting on the ground clutching his stomach. Brendon just rolled his eyes as he accepted the hand and forced himself into a standing position.
“Hey guys, thanks but can we just get out of here, we need to get on the road” Brendon just need to get away from school.
“Yeah, but man you really are ok? You don’t need anything? You still want to do this tonight?” Ryan asked concerned.
“Are you kidding me, yeah I still want to play tonight” Brendon explained walking to the van.

They had been on the road for a little while when Ryan couldn’t help him self anymore.
“Hey Bren who were those guys?” Ryan asked
“Just some guys from the football team, I told you they didn’t like me very much” Brendon replied sighing. He hated that his friends had to see him like this. He didn’t need their sympathy, the band was all he had it was his escape. He didn’t want his two worlds to mix.
“How long have they “not liked you”” Ryan asked. He wanted Brandon to tell him the truth. To tell him what was going on so he could help.
“Remember how I told you I was the lead in Oliver twist freshman year” Ryan nodded “Yeah about since then” Brendon said with a sad smile.
“I’ve tried everything to get them to leave me alone but nothing has been very successful” Brendon said in a mock joking voice.
Ryan couldn’t believe that things had been this bad for Brendon since freshman year. What he had gone through was nothing when compared with getting pummeled on a daily basis. Ryan had endured the normal taunts of fag and sure he was pushed into lockers a few times but he had always had a small group of friends. It was never him by himself against 3 huge jocks that wanted to kick his ass. Ryan was actually amazed that Brendon was as positive about life as he acted. Ryan knew that most people couldn’t endure 4 years of daily torment without letting it completely wear them down. Brendon had to be the strongest person Ryan had ever met.
“How do you deal with it? How are you always able to seem so happy and upbeat around us, if this is what is happening everyday at school” Ryan asked.
“I have to admit that it really does get to me, freshman and sophomore year where hell, I didn’t have anyone. I was pretty self-destructive. But last year when I meet Jon and I started practicing with you guys, I fit in somewhere for the first time. I had an outlet for all my emotions, and for the first time since I was I little kid I had real friends. Since I have meet you guys, yeah school is still hell but I can get through it because I have something to look forward to.” Brendon got quieter as he spoke; he was embarrassed at how truthful he was being.
Ryan looked at Brendon and realized that he was going to be okay. They all had each other, and that was never going to change. Yeah sure it was their goal to become famous but that really didn’t seem as important now.


Sign up to rate and review this story