Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > My number one goal in life

My number one goal in life

by sock_monkey 2 reviews

It's hard to explain. Just read please. *short chapter fic*

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst - Warnings: [!!] - Published: 2008-11-30 - Updated: 2008-12-01 - 972 words

1Moving
Note: Fall out boy will be in later chapters

"I'm sorry Mrs. Turner but we ran some test and it turns out that your daughter has cancer," my doctor said to my mom.

My mom started sobbing loudly next to the hospital bed I was in. All I could think was why me? I've barely done anything with my life. I'm only fourteen. I'm just your normal teen, with friends, school, and insecurities. I'm nice to most people and I've only had two boyfriends for crying out loud. I planned on going to college and having a family. I planned on at least meeting my favorite band once so I could tell them how much they mean to me, how much they had changed my life.

I sat in a stunned silence wondering how people would take this. I know my friends will be upset and unhappy but will anyone besides my friends and family notice I'm gone?

I'm the girl you pass on a daily basis and don't even notice. I'm the plain, boring, and mundane looking girl who is easy to over look. I've got mousy brown hair, plain brown eyes, and a soft chubby figure. Oh and did I mention I'm shy? Yeah that doesn't help either.

Of coarse I'm not like that to my friends. They see around my boring appearance to the great friend and amazingly random person in side of me. God how am I going to tell them?

"What type?" my mom managed to choke out between her sobs.

"We found an advanced stage of Ewing's Sarcoma in Emily's thigh bone. We knew her femur shouldn't have broken so easily when she bumped into that table so we did some tests and found a tumor," My doctor said trying to console my now weeping mother.

"What's going to happen to me?" I asked.
I wanted to know how long I have and if it can be treated.

" Well Emily Ewing's sarcoma is treated by surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or a bone marrow transplant. Unfortunately we caught your cancer in a late stage. Without treatment you have about eight months to live. Surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation will only give you about six months more time. But taking those steps will make you sick for a few months and weaker than if you didn't do them. If we can find some one who has a compatible bone marrow type to yours and we do a successful transplant that could make the cancer go away. The decision is ultimately up to you and your mom but I think you should try and find a bone marrow donor," he said.

"Isn't that risky?" my mom asked.

"It can be, but let me explain. Once transplanted marrow takes a foothold in a cancer patient, it has a good chance of knocking out cancer cells and curing the disease. A much better chance than chemo or radiation alone. We get no cancerous marrow from donors and there's very little risk to them. The donor is given a general anesthesia, then we insert a special syringe into the pelvic bone and draw a cup or so of marrow. Since the donor's healthy, new marrow is manufactured, and except for some achiness in the hips, the donor's up and around in no time." he explained.

"But what about me?" I asked.

"The marrow is hung in a bag and dripped into the recipient's veins just like chemo. It migrates to the bone cavities and begins reproducing healthy blood cells," the doctor said.

"So what's the catch? What's the bad news?" I asked.
To me that all sounded good.

"You're right , Emily-that's the good news, a best-case scenario. The bad news is that before the recipient can receive the donor marrow, she has to have all her marrow destroyed. We do that with chemo and radiation." he said.

"Isn't that dangerous?" my mother asked.

"The threat of infection is very real and very life-threatening, but we take every precaution. We isolate the potential recipient in a germ-free environment before and after the process and until the new marrow starts growing. We put her on immunosuppressant drugs, which are eventually dispensed with as the healthy marrow takes hold."

"Okay can you give us some time to discuss this option?" my mom asked the doctor.

He nodded and walked out.

I pulled my mom into hug to try and comfort her. She clung on to my like she was afraid I was going to die at this moment.

"I can't believe a small trip into a table would bring on all of this," she breathed into my shoulder.

"Yeah well I was always the clumsy sort," I whispered back.

"So what do you want to do?" she asked.

"I think I want to do the transplant." I said hopping not to upset her even more.

"Okay, I'll go get the doctor so he can get the bone marrow type," she said.
She got up off my bed and went out the door.

I grabbed my I-pod from my bag on the night table looking forward to drowning out the situation with music. Before I could even find a good song the doctor was back, this time he was accompanied by a nurse.

"To get your bone marrow we'll have to give you anesthesia so it won't be painful for you," the doctor explained.

"Can I listen to music while you do it?: I asked hoping to hear my favorite song to calm me down a little.

"Sure," he replied with a smile.

I popped my head phones in as they injected the chemicals into my arm. I passed out to the sound of 'Hum hallelujah' by Fall Out Boy blasting through the speakers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
so here is the first chapter. I hope you like it. REVIEWS ARE APPRECIATED
Sign up to rate and review this story