Categories > Original > Drama > Indigo

The Place Where She Belongs

by natzlovesyou 0 reviews

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Published: 2008-12-13 - Updated: 2008-12-13 - 822 words

0Unrated
Amarantha went to her classroom and all but ran to her desk. Her small fingers wrapped around her books excitedly, and she inserted them in her black backpack eagerly. The rest of her classmates were still working on the task assigned, sluggishly reading and copying the text into their notebooks. Tyrell looked up, his eyes widening as he saw her packing her backpack, a fantastic smile on her red lips.

“Where are you going?”

He asked tentatively, placing his pencil down and staring into her old eyes.
She turned around sharply and looked at him with her features hard. But then she noticed his genuine interest and her face softened,

“I’m going away.”

She said softly. She wasn’t trying to be mysterious; it was all she knew at the moment. She sensed she would be going away, and something potentially wonderful was about to happen.

“I will see you eventually.”

Amarantha said with a smile on her lips as she gently threw her backpack to her back and quickly walked out the room. She hadn’t even thought about those five words, or why she had said them. They had just rolled out her tongue like when an air attendant gives you a paper and you say ‘Thank you’, or when the taxi driver drops you off and he says “have a nice day”…they’re just things that are not necessarily meant, but that you say anyway.
As soon as she opened the door to the principal’s assistant’s office she knew her parents were already inside. Not because she could hear her father’s heavily accented English and her mom’s flowery one but because she knew their smells far too well: his dad smelled of aftershave and cigars, her mom of the delicate roses she liked to have on their front yard.
The exchange of words was rather brief, and before she knew it she heard her teacher, principal and parents saying their proper farewells. Her parents came out of the office with satisfied smiles on their faces, and they were positively glowing as they took Amarantha’s hand and led her away from school and into the black Rangerover.

“What happened?”

The small child asked, her body bending forward so she could be as close as she could to her mother and father without being in the front seat herself.

“This are such great news, Amarantha! You’re-“

“Dear, this news is not intended to be delivered in a car, of all places. You might as well tell her in a public bathroom!”

Her father joked as he veered the car into the highway.

“You’re right. Wait until we get home, sweetie.”

Amarantha slid back into her seat, pouting.

[i] I did know today was different from the moment Mrs. Herrera handed me that test. I knew her; therefore I was sure she wouldn’t let my ‘shocking’ results unnoticed. [/i]

Amarantha’s mother and father sat in front of her in the comfy red sofa, drowned in pillows whilst she sat on a white wooden chair, trying her best to stay put.

“Darling, you’ve always known you were different…”

Her father started, his accent playing with the words in an interesting way.

“Yes.”

Amarantha hurried to agree, nodding furiously.

“But you haven’t found out just how much, and neither have we. There are people that know much more about people like you, special people…and that’s were you’re going. You’re going with them…with the special people.”

Amarantha thought about the words her father had just told her. And then her features turned grim. She had heard this kind of words before, accompanied by shrugs and shakes of the head, and then faraway screams of the person that had been told this. She could picture herself wrapped in one of those shirts that didn’t let you move your arms around in depressing white room and a door she wasn’t allowed to cross.

“You’re sending me to an asylum?”

Her mother burst out laughing immediately and her father’s mouth corners went up instantly as well.

“Of course not! It’s a school for talented children…It’s called the Akilah Academy. You’ll learn all about it soon enough. We have to go now and end the final paperwork. We’ll talk more over dinner…”

And with that, Amarantha was left in complete shock and bewilderment.

[i] What I remember of that moment was feeling as exhilarated as I’d ever felt in my life. Maybe I was finally going to comprehend what was wrong with me…Akilah Academy…Those simple two words were music to my ears. Yet, I knew there was something potentially eerie behind those words, and I was sure that by going to this place I was letting something special behind, something good and wonderful…I wonder what was it?[/i]
Sign up to rate and review this story