Categories > TV > Criminal Minds > Night Terrors

Night Terrors

by wesfanemt333 0 reviews

Post Minimal Loss. Slightly AU

Category: Criminal Minds - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Drama,Humor - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2008-12-14 - Updated: 2008-12-14 - 1005 words

0Unrated
This story has been just begging to be written since I saw Minimal Loss. My first attempt at a Criminal Minds fiction. This story starts out shortly after the explosion. The only thing I'm changing from canon is the whole JJ/Will relationship/baby. Hasn't happened in my story.

Aaron Hotchner looked around at the debris that used to be the Septarian's compound. The expression on his face was his typical poker face, very difficult to read. He watched as Spencer Reid and Emily Prentiss, both agents for his team embraced quickly. Derek Morgan stood off to the side, looking relieved. The ordeal was over, and his teammates were safe, although a little worse for the wear. He and Hotch had both heard Cyrus beating Prentiss, throwing her around the room. Morgan waited until Reid and Emily separated, before speaking up,

"I'm glad that's over. The ems crew is waiting for you two that way." He pointed to a safe area off to the distance, where flashing red and blue lights lit up the night sky. They could see the ambulance clearly, and Reid started walking that way. He was a little sore, but not about to argue with Morgan. He knew better. So did Emily, but her own innate stubbornness wouldn't allow it. She shook her head, ignoring the pounding headache that was already starting.

“I'm fine, Derek. An icepack and some Tylenol are all I'll need” Derek gave her an incredulous look.

“Girl, I cannot believe you just said that. You know we heard what Cyrus was doing to you.” He waited, but Emily stood her ground. Derek was about to tell her to get her ass over there, when he was interrupted by his phone ringing.

“Saved by the bell.” Emily was ready to head towards the jet, as Morgan talked quietly on his cell. He grinned, and hit a button,

“EMILY MARIA ELIZABETH PRENTISS!” Penelope Garcia's voice came out incredibly loud over the small speaker. “YOU GET YOURSELF TO THAT AMBULANCE NOW!” Emily froze in place. No one, outside of her immediate family, knew her middle names. It was a bit scary, the things Garcia was able to dig up. She sighed in resignation, acknowledging her defeat. She saw Hotch watching, and she could swear the man smiled quickly, before his face became expressionless again. She narrowed her eyes at him, walking slowly towards the waiting ambulance.

Spencer had already been cleared by the medical personnel, a few bruises, but he'd be fine. They cautioned him about precautions, and dismissed him. Emily hid a wince as the paramedics prodded her ribs gently. Aside from her head, that was the only thing that really hurt.

“I don't think any of your ribs are broken, Agent Prentiss. You should still get them x-rayed when you get back, though, just to be on the safe side.” She nodded, having no intention of going through with that. She hated hospitals, with a passion.

“Are you going to wrap them?” She knew that was a common procedure and was surprised when the medic shook his head.

“They don't encourage that anymore. It can restrict breathing and cause worse problems. Just don't forget to see your regular doctor. And here's a few ice packs for the trip home.” She thanked him, and exited the ambulance, nearly bumping Hotch with the door as she did. He offered to give her a hand down, and normally, she would have declined. She was sore, tired and more then ready to get home. They could not get going soon enough for her.

Finally, after what seemed to be an eternity, but was only twenty minutes later, they were on the jet. Aaron watched his team settle into their seats. JJ had already claimed the bench, and Morgan was sitting across from Rossi, as they reclined. Reid and Prentiss were talking softly, probably going over the events of the past few days. When they'd finished, Spencer moved to stretch his limbs, and doze.

They were barely in the air, when Hotch noticed his team, except for him, were all sound asleep. A rare smile crept on his face, as he watched them, picking up on their quirks. Reid was murmuring something in his sleep, Hotch heard something about the DMV and registrations. Even in his sleep, he told random facts and statistics. Morgan was the only one with a light on near him. Aaron knew why and could understand. JJ was nearly in a fetal position, curled up on her left side. He could hear Dave snoring softly as he walked by. The paper he'd been reading laying on his chest. Prentiss was moving around restlessly, occasionally kicking out in front of her. That explained a few things. There was no one sitting across from her, a pattern that he'd noticed, but hadn't known why until now. Also, JJ always insisted on having two beds in whatever hotel they stayed at. Seeing the force with which Prentiss kicked the air in front of her, Hotch couldn't blame JJ in the least.

Aaron was headed back to his seat, near the front of the jet, when he noticed a change. Emily started moving quicker, moaning quietly. She was obviously having a nightmare, a fairly common occurrence for his team. She thrashed violently, and Hotch knew he'd need to wake her up. Otherwise, she'd end up hurting herself. He moved quickly to stand in front of her. He placed a gentle but firm hand on her shoulder, shaking her a little,

“Pre- Emily, wake up! Emily.” He whispered urgently in her ear. Her eyes opened and before she realized fully where she was, her leg shot out. It caught Hotch in the shin, hard. He inhaled quickly, although he should have expected it. “Emily, it's me, Hotchner.” He saw her big brown eyes widen comically as she came to terms with the fact that she'd just kicked her boss.

To be continued? Let me know how you liked it, and if you want more.
Sign up to rate and review this story