Categories > Books > Harry Potter > The Slayer, The Avatar And The Guardian Of Light

CH104 - The Beast Inside

by GuardianOfLight 0 reviews

Training

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Crossover,Drama - Characters: Harry,Hermione,Professor McGonagall,Tonks - Published: 2008-12-24 - Updated: 2008-12-25 - 2921 words

1Ambiance
Chapter 104 - The Beast Inside

Dimension: 1375 - Earth
Date: 26th October 2001 AD
Country: Britain - Scotland
Location: Hogwarts - Adam's Tower
Time: Afternoon


In a disused classroom in Adam's Tower, a knock echo's through the door.

After a moment's pause the door opens slightly and Hermione's face appeared.

"Adam?"

No answer.

"Looks like we're early." Said Tara as she and Hermione entered the room, it was empty save for a few lit candles floating near the walls, there was one door in the far wall and a balcony overlooking the grounds off to one side "How is Ginny doing, I didn't get the chance to check on her today."

"Better, she still feels completely and utterly guilt ridden about what happened and can barely go near Harry, Fleur, Draco or me without breaking down and crying every few minutes whilst apologising profusely for what she did while under Riddle's control."

"I'm not surprised that she is feeling that way, Willow was like that after Xander pulled her back from the darkness, give it time and she will be back to her old self."

"I know that Draco asked her to the ball again, that made a considerable difference to her, last time I checked they were sitting in her hospital bed holding each other."

"Good evening," Adam smiled as he entered through the door "I hope your day was pleasurable."

"Yes Prof,ADAM." Hermione autocorrected loudly "I'm never going to get that right."

He smiled slightly and gestured for them to follow him as he moved to the rooms other door.

He opened and held the door for them as they walked into the room, a room which Tara noticed greatly resembled the meditating room in Adam's mansion except it was round rather than rectangular, there were no pillars, no Ankh symbol and the windows had no glass in them, as Tara thought again the only things that were the same were the mats on the floor and the colour scheme.
________________________________________________________________________

Hermione had long ago realised that if the castle was a normal building many of the rooms would not fit inside its walls, Gryffindor Tower was a good example of this as it was wide enough to contain the Common Room but not the dormitories that extended up and out to the sides of it. The room they were now in would also not exist as it would be hanging in mid air out the side of the tower but thanks to the magic of Hogwarts it was possible.

Adam closed the door and turned to them.

"Welcome to the training room, in this room you will learn to master your new powers." he explained letting go of his staff so that it floated into the middle of the room "Now this is not going to be easy for either of you as you have to learn new methods of casting magic as well as gathering it."

He turned to Hermione.

"Your magic and the magic of other wands wizards and witches comes from within."

His staff erupted in colour as he spoke, and a physical representation of what he was saying appeared as an image of her casting a spell except you could see the magic gather from around her body and erupt out of her wand.

"More specifically from your blood, through the use of a wand or a staff you can channel your magic to do spells."

He then turned to Tara.

"Wicca's on the other hand draw magic from around them" the image from the staff changed to show Tara performing a spell "Drawing your magic from ground, air and other nearby sources, Wicca's often find it hard to store large amounts of magic for long, just as Willow did when she turned dark simply because they are not used to it."

Hermione saw Tara wince at the memories of her lover becoming Dark Willow.

"She absorbed magic out of the books in the Magic Box leaving them dry, but she couldn't hold it for long and burned through it quickly, though the residual magical signature remained with her, which she can still access from time to time , even though the books are now restored the dark magic still resides within her."

He breathed to let them absorb what they were hearing.

"You will both need to learn how to perform both sorts of magic as it will help you greatly in a fight, if you come across an opponent who absorbs his power from the air around him, you can beat him to the punch and remove it from the air before he has the chance, and when that magic is exhausted you can turn to your own internal magic."

The both nodded their understanding.

"Now, I will not teach you how to do this as you are more than capable of teaching each other, I will start by teaching you the different types of casting and what you can do and what you will not do with your magic."

They both noticed his choice of words, ‘will not do' as opposed to ‘cannot do'.

"There are several ways of casting, firstly and probably the easiest way is with a wand, staff or another magical instrument, the second is wordless magic which speaks for itself or rather doesn't, thirdly there is wandless magic which also fairly obvious and fourthly there is motionless magic which is at the opposite end of the scale to wand magic as it means performing magic entirely through the power of the mind, no words, no wand and no movement, by the time your training is finished you should be able to do this."

They again nodded their understanding.

"In addition there is what is called Action Magic which is used in all too many fantasy and sci-fi movies; it works by making a certain action trigger your magic, for example."

He snapped his fingers and vanished, the girls both stared in shock, he didn't Apparate as there was no pop, but he still shouldn't have been able to disappear in inside the school grounds.

There was another finger snap and he reappeared.

"Clicking is probably the easiest form though others methods can be used, questions?"

"How did you just do that, you can't just disappear inside the school, the wards prevent it." Hermione pointed out

"Firstly Hermione as I have said before the wards are only of use if the person opposing them is less powerful then they are and secondly how do you know I didn't simply turn myself invisible."

Hermione thought for a second then relaxed seeing his point, though she later realised that he did not tell them which of the two things he did.

"Ok then let's get to work."

Over the next two hours he trained them to use Action Magic to summon the staff to their hands, it was a lot simpler than they both thought, all they had to do was to focus on what they wanted the object to do then trigger it by channelling magic through their fingers.

By the end of the lesson, although the session was relatively easy they were both a bit tired from the constant use of magic, but what Adam planned to follow their sessions was something they did not want to miss, in an attempt to improve the general mood of those in mourning, Animagus testing.
________________________________________________________________________

Dimension: 1375 - Earth
Date: 26th October 2001 AD
Country: Britain -Scotland
Location: Hogwarts - Muggle Defence Classroom
Time: Evening


Half an hour later in the MD Room, all the Scoobies (including Spike) were present as were the Gryffindor three, Ginny, Dawn and Neville. For Fleur and Colette there was obviously little point in attending as they already had alternate forms and for some reason Draco did not wish to attend either.

Adam, Remus, McGonagall and Tonks were the last to arrive; entering the room they greeted the assembled group.

"You all know why you are here," began Adam "As you know not all of you are wizards or witches but that is irrelevant as you have all had considerable contact with magic and that may be enough to allow some of you to shift forms, now when you assume the form of an animal through Animagus training you take on all the instincts of that animal and that is something that you will have to learn to control yourself, firstly the other Professors and myself will take each of you aside and deduce what animal you can transform into as a person can only transform themselves into certain animals with any degree of ease, that form tends to reflect your personality though this is not the case all the time."

Hermione cleared his throat "Sorry Adam, but Harry's father and his friends were able to transform into whatever animal they chose."

"No they weren't," Corrected Remus "They simply chose an animal that they were luckily enough to be able to transform into, if they had chosen alternate forms they might still have been trying to learn when they left school. Now who would like to go first?"

Anya jumped forward wearing her usual bright smile, she had asked Adam earlier and he had informed her that being a demon would not necessarily stop her being able to transform but he was not certain, the same was true of Spike and especially as he had Wizarding blood in his veins, so all bets were off as regards whether they would be able to transform.

Adam gestured for her to stand in front of him while he began casting the same spell that the Delacour's had cast on Harry to determine his form, though the image was concealed behind them so no one else saw what it was.

"Do you wish the others to know what you can become?" Adam asked.

"I'm a Bald Eagle!!" she exclaimed jumping to her feet and hugging him excitedly, before proceeding to jump up and danced around ecstatically.

Over the next hour they were all told of their animal forms and all chose to share it with the rest of the group.

Spike was a White Siberian Tiger because of his strength, hunter like skills and the rareness of being a vampire with a soul, he was quite proud of this.

Giles was a Barn Owl because of his intelligence, the darker side of his past and his ability to see things others can't.

Xander was a Wolf because he was loyal; he would fight to protect his friends and family and while relatively weak on his own he was fierce working as part of a group.

Tara, as they knew already was a Unicorn because of her inner and outer beauty as well as her grace, though she still refused to believe that she was any of those things, but she could be formidable and anyone on the wrong side of her would certainly get the point.

Buffy and Anne turned out to be Lioness's because of their inner strength; they're lion's hearts and their ability to easily prove that the female of the species was more deadly than the male.

Dawn was a Pegasus for similar reasons to Tara's except that when she realised her full potential she would quite literally take flight.

Hermione as they again already knew was a Giant Otter as they were quite and secluded but also clever (otters are one of the few animals to use tools), social and playful.

Ron turned out to be a Golden Gryphon (wings of an eagle and the body and head of a lion) because of his courage and bravery and his willingness to do anything to save his friends, something he was immensely proud of.

Ginny as they yet again knew was a Phoenix because of her beauty and her ability to make anyone smile with just a few words.

One of the most surprising was that Neville was a Kodiak Bear as although he looked ‘big and cuddly' appearances could be deceiving (as all the members of the DA knew).

Willow though almost had a heart attack when she found out what she was.

"What....no, I can't be a dragon; I can't be some big fire breathing monster." Willow rambled worriedly as Tara ran over and took her hand.

"It's not so bad Willow, being a Dragon doesn't mean you are a monster, does it Adam?" she asked praying for the answer no.

"Of course not." He replied before Harry took over.

"Dragons aren't evil; people just think that because they can't understand them. I mean look at Sapphire, she's not evil is she and the only people who fear her are those that don't know her.

"I would in fact consider it a compliment having a Dragon form." continued Adam "Some species are the most magical and intelligent of all creatures and the type of dragon we saw is a particularly magical breed called a Golden Dragon, they are not native to this dimension but they are intelligent, kind and they will always aid those who they consider good. You are a Dragon Willow because of your fiery heart and because of an immense power at your command. A Dragon wields power unmatched by any other creature and it can be channelled to good or ill and I seriously doubt that you will use your power for the latter."

Giving Willow a few seconds to recover, he stood and addressed the rest of the class:

"Ok, now you all know what you are, you need to understand how to manipulate your body, we will start with the fingers, what I would like you to do is imagine your fingers at twice their current length, imagine them stretching to that length."

Everyone spread out and began attempting to stretch their fingers with varying levels of success, only Hermione, Tara and Dawn succeeded in the first fifteen minutes to their great surprise, though it did not do Dawn much good as she went a bit too far and she ended up nearly tripping over her two meter long fingers.

Luckily Tonks was able to instruct her on how to bring them back down to size, although not an Animagus being a Metamorphmagus meant that Tonks knew the techniques needed to expand and change body features, Harry (while tutoring Hermione and Ron) did ask why she was not participating to which she answered.

"Knowing how accident prone I am in this body, do you really want to imagine how bad I would be in another body?"

By the end of the lesson even Ron, Xander and Spike had mastered the simple skill that was stretching their fingers and some were beginning to move onto noses and ears, something that Tonks was particularly adept at.

At the end Adam called everyone's attention

Hermione and Tara were particularly glad when this session ended as they were already exhausted from their training session with Adam before the class: they were getting the hang of Action Magic and Adam informed them that they would be moving onto to Wordless Magic and Wandless Magic during their next lesson, and given how exhausting Action Magic was, at this rate they would be lucky if they survived to fight Voldemort.
________________________________________________________________________

Dimension: 1375 - Earth
Date: 26th October 2001 AD
Country: Britain -Scotland
Location: Hogwarts Grounds
Time: Late Evening


Later that night, in the pitch black a young man with a scar on his head crept out of the school under an invisibility cloak and crossed the grounds to the lake, hiding his cloak amongst the shrubs around the lakes edge he glanced around him before transforming into a dragon and heading down into the lake, he slithered across the surface for a moment before his head, shortly followed by his body disappeared below the surface, leaving barely a ripple to indicate his presence.
________________________________________________________________________

AUTHORS NOTE 1: If you are wondering why I did not give you a scene of Ginny waking up, it is because I don't think I would have been able to do it justice, thusly I left it out so sorry if you were expecting that.

AUTHORS NOTE 2: I am not very happy with this chapter as a whole, it is a rewrite from my original draft which was written at least two years ago, back then I was to be honest very bad at writing, having written it though I cannot think of a better way to do it, I would miss it out entirely and just have the explanation at the beginning elsewhere but there is a relatively insignificant plot point that I used in my original draft and that I plan to use in this one regarding one of the character and their Animagus form.

AUTHORS NOTE 3: Also someone spotted in the last chapter a mistake I made, it was a small but rather significant one, some others of you may have noticed how Molly Weasley, who you will all remember is dead seemed to forget this fact for a couple of lines and rejoined the cast. That's one of the problems authors have when they are a few chapters ahead of the readers, you tend to forget which events have transpired in which chapters. I have corrected this mistake.

AUTHORS NOTE 4: If you are still reading well done, not many people do. Firstly I cannot recall if I got this chapter beta'd but I wanted to give you all a present so MERRY CHRISTMAS everyone, or if you don't believe in Christmas HAPPY NEW YEAR.
Sign up to rate and review this story