Categories > Original > Drama

BBQ

by canustakemyheart 11 reviews

Just something I needed to write out.

Category: Drama - Rating: R - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-01-24 - Updated: 2009-01-25 - 917 words - Complete

3Original
A/N: To the folks that have read my stuff on here - especially "17 Days" ... well, if you go back and read Day 11, I mention something about a family BBQ. Well, this is the rest of the story. I think it sucks personally. Definitely not my best bit of writing, but I wrote it more as therapy than anything else. I don't even know why I post this shit. Eh, oh well.


I was already drunk when I got to the BBQ. I remember sitting in the car before we got out. My girlfriend was asking me if I'd be "okay'" I told her I would and she continued talking – something about her dad. I wasn't really paying attention. I knew there would be beer there and I wanted one – or more than one.

We got out of the car and walked along the side of the house to the backyard. I remembered laughing when I accidentally bumped into the stucco wall and practically fell head first into a flowerbed. My girlfriend grabbed my arm and pulled me back. She shook her head and sighed. I couldn't imagine she'd be upset, because I sure as hell was having a great time.

I didn't feel awkward around my girlfriend's family members, but mostly 'cause I was loaded with liquor. I think the first person to see us was one of her aunts. She said something about the weather. Isn't that always what people revert to talking about when they don't really have shit to say?

A few hours went by. We ate burgers and potato salad and all the regular BBQ fare. I ended up out on the back lawn on a chase lounge. I can't recall exactly how many beers I had downed by then. It became apparent that I had lost consciousness at some point because I woke up in a fairly disoriented state. My eyes were trying to focus on two figures standing about 10 feet away from me.

It was as argument. My faded brain was trying desperately to comprehend what it was about. After about a minute, I heard my name being yelled and I realized that it was my girlfriend and her dad who were in the screaming match. I sat up in the lounge and I saw the large figure of her dad stomping over to me.

Next thing I know, he grabs me by the arm and hauls me off of the lounge. He's a pretty big guy – probably 6'3", 220 pounds … he's like a freakin' linebacker. I am not. He still had a hold of my arm and he drug me through the yard and around by the garage. I was trying to walk, but half the time I felt like I was in the air. My mind was racing along with my heart. He didn't say a word until we arrived on the concrete in front of the garage.

He flung my body against the metal garage door. I knew the guy didn't like me, but I never thought he'd beat the shit out of me. I slid down the door and he pulled me up by my shirt.

"You're a real fine piece of work!"

I didn't know what to say or do. My adrenaline had overcome my buzz though. I looked around to see if anyone else was witnessing this event. No one was in sight - not even my girlfriend. I think maybe she had run off crying or something. I tried to make a run for it and he caught my shirt again and this time pinned me up against the door.

"You piece of shit little faggot! I don't know what the fuck my daughter sees in you – you're a drunk little pussy that cares more about free beer than anything else!"

I just stared straight ahead, unmoving and unflinching. I really didn't know what he was going to do, but I didn't want to provoke him.

"I could just smash your fucking skull into this door boy! You are a boy, right? Or is my daughter a fucking lesbian now too? Fuck!"

He let me go and turned away. I felt like running, but somehow I just knew it was the wrong thing to do. I saw him run his hands through his hair once then he turned back to face me.

"Are you gonna fucking say something or are you too god damn wasted?"

I really didn't know what to say but without really thinking I quietly said, "I love her."

"Ha! That's rich! You don't even know what it fucking means to be a man. You can't get a real job … you're wasted on booze and fuck knows what else …"

"I-I'm sorry?"

I realized that no matter what I said it wouldn't be the right thing.

"Sorry? You're fucking sorry?"

He slammed me up against the door again. My head hit the metal with a crack.

"I swear to fucking god if I ever find out you hurt my little girl in ANY way, I'll beat the living shit out of you."

"I-I would never ... never do that."

"Oh you'd never do that huh?"

Just then I saw my girlfriend run around the garage.

"Dad! Let him go!"

"Honey, go back inside. You don't need to see this. We're just having a little man to man talk here."

She walked up to me and grabbed my hand. We walked off. He let us go but yelled after me.

"Remember what I said!"
Sign up to rate and review this story