Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Battered Hearts

Suspect

by PerfesserN 5 reviews

Ten years after Hogwarts Ron and Ginny are murdered, and Hermione is the prime suspect.

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: R - Genres: Drama,Fantasy,Romance - Characters: Harry,Hermione - Warnings: [!!] [V] [?] - Published: 2009-01-31 - Updated: 2009-01-31 - 1962 words - Complete

5Exciting


Chapter 2 - Suspect

Harry sat in the waiting room at St. Mungo's clearing his mind, concentrating on the image of a candle's flickering flame. This was the first step to rebuilding the walls around his emotions. If he let those walls fall he would see Ginny, the mother of his children, her beautiful face contorted in pain. OhGodOhGodOhGod, she'd died in pain, and where the FUCK was I?

Harry trembled, choking back the need to cry out, to rage against the night.

Concentrate, keep the flame. Use the flame to cast out the darkness. Find the blocks and build the walls high and strong.

After a while his breathing calmed and he opened his eyes to see Neville Longbottom, sitting in the chair across from his, also deep in meditation.

Neither man spoke.

Neville's eyes opened slowly.

"Harry."

"Neville."

"I'm so sorry Harry."

"Thanks, Neville, it means a lot to me."

"How's Hermione?"

"Better."

"Can she have visitors?"

"Yeah, I think she'd like to see afriendly face about now."

"You coming?"

"You go first. I'll be along in a bit."

Neville stood and walked to Hermione's door, only to be blocked by the maroon cloaked auror already standing there. The guard looked at Harry, who nodded his head, before letting Neville into the room.

Harry pulled the small signaling mirror from his coat pocket and activated it. It was keyed to the large mirror on Hermione's hospital room door. He watched and listened.

"Neville!"

"Hello Hermione, feeling better?"

"Much, thank you."

"I came as soon as I heard. I'm so sorry Hermione, if there's anything, and I mean anything I can do, please don't hesitate to ask."

"Thank you Neville, you're a good friend."

"Not just me, Harry's here too."

"He didn't come in with you."

"Harry really wants you safe; I didn't think the auror at the door was going to let me in."

Hermione's expression fell at that.

"Oh yeah, regular VIP here!"

Neville looked surprised at that. "Have you seen Rosie?"

Hermione huffed at that, "She's with my parents for now, they plan to bring her by this afternoon, or so I hear."

"Hermione, I'm confused. What's going on?"

"Neville, that auror at the door?"

He nodded.

"He's not standing there to keep me safe; he's there to keep me from going anywhere."

Neville had never been slow, but this was a concept he was having trouble getting his mind wrapped around, "You're a prisoner?"

"I think the word is /suspect/. St Mungo's has wards around it to prevent apparition, except in designated points, like the reception area and the emergency room. The same for portkeys. And I'll bet galleons to doughnuts that our conversation is being monitored and recorded."

As if on cue Harry knocked on the door.

Neville started.

Hermione sat up in the bed, "Harry? I didn't get a chance to say how sorry I am about, about. . ."

Her eyes filled with tears and she couldn't speak.

Neville stood and wrapped his arms around Hermione's shoulders. Why wasn't Harry comforting her? And this nonsense about her being a suspect? That's fuckin' bollocks!

"Why you, Harry?"

"Why me, what?"

"There have to be other aurors who can do this investigating thing. I think you'd be a little too close to the case as it is - aren't there policies about that?"

"Yes, but I honestly believe I can do this. If I didn't, someone else would be handling the case and Hermione would be in a holding cell at the DMLE."

The lady in question looked at the man she'd always thought was her best friend.

"How are you doing this Harry? It's like you don't feel anything. How have you turned so, so cold?" she asked.

"Occlumency, I'm a master occlumens these days."

Neville turned red-faced and nearly shouted, "Your wife is /dead/, Potter. So is Ron, remember Ron? Your best mate and Hermione's husband!"

The pregnant pause that followed was broken by a discrete knocking. Harry opened the door and accepted the envelope from the auror on duty.

He removed the parchment and began to read as Neville comforted Hermione.

"Neville, I'm sorry, but could you excuse us for five minutes?"

Neville looked at Hermione who nodded and reluctantly released him.

As soon as the door closed Harry asked,"Why didn't you tell me Hermione?"

"Tell you what?"

"I have the results of your medical scan here. Multiple healed fractures, evidence of major organ and soft tissue trauma. The healer's report says the results are consistent with those of aprofessional boxer."

"That was the first time he'd ever lost control like that, usually we'd argue about something and then he'd slap me,"to get my attention," he'd say."

"No, Hermione, these injuries, broken bones, broken teeth, bruised internal organs, are indicative of chronic abuse."

"I think I'd remember. . ."

Her face lost all color, "Oh god!"

"Apparently Ron learned a thing or two from Gilderoy Lockhart."

"All those mornings that I woke up sore, I believed him when he said we'd just gotten drunk and "frisky." I never drink/that/ much."

"So when it looked like he was going to beat you to death you struck back?"

"No!"

"It's a perfectly sound defense; you were protecting yourself and your unborn child."

Hermione's eyes went wide, "My what?"

"Surely you know you're pregnant."

Her eyes rolled up into her head and she fainted.

Harry's attention was diverted by ascuffling sound at the door. When he opened it he saw the auror attempting to put Neville in a choke hold. Neville, having learned how to avoid those, snaked his hand up the auror's back, grasped a handful of hair and pulled down hard. The auror fell and Neville had the business end of his wand pointing between the DMLE man's eyes before the law-mage could draw his own.

Not taking his eyes off the auror, Neville said, evenly, "You said five minutes, Potter. It's been five minutes."

The man on the ground snarled "I'm placing you under arrest for the assault and battery of a Department of Magical Law Enforcement Officer!"

Harry's voice was soft as he said, "No, Stebbens, you're not."

"But, sir!"

"Think about it man, do you really want the details coming out that a civilian took you down so easily? Not acareer enhancing move. Now, learning from your mistake? That would be a good thing."

Neville stepped back and Stebbens got up, dusting himself off as he did.

"Can I see her, Potter?"

"She's just gone to sleep, Neville, let's give her some time. I have quite a lot to suss out here. Care to be asounding board?"

"Give me one good reason why I should."

"It could help Hermione."

Neville narrowed his eyes at Harry, then shrugged, "Go on."

Ten minutes later found them on the tea shop's balcony, each nursing a cuppa.

Harry cast the muffliato and, in low tones, said, "What I'm going to tell you must be held in the strictest confidence, all right?"

Neville nodded.

"Remember how the papers said she'd been badly beaten?"

"Yeah."

"Ron did it."

Neville's look of incredulity fell as Harry nodded grimly.

"Ron's been abusing Hermione; it's been going on for years."

"Why would she stay in an abusive relationship?"

"Why does anyone, Neville?" Harry looked away as he added, "She was surprised to find out she's pregnant."

Neville's mouth hung open for a moment before he asked, "How could she not know?"

"Apparently she's been /obliviated/, several times."

Neville knew, as did all wizards, that multiple obliviations can cause brain damage, "Oh God, no!"

"This case just keeps getting better and better. The priori on Ron's wand shows several bludgeoning curses. Hermione's wand was locked in a drawer in Ron's study."

"So she was defenseless?"

"Pretty much."

"I always knew he had a temper, but this. I thought he loved her."

"Neville, do you know the number one reason given for murdering a spouse, magical or mundane?"

"No."

"Quote, "Because I loved her," unquote."

"So she gets off on self defense?"

"No."

"No?"

"She gets off on account of she didn't do it, she couldn't have."

Understanding dawned, "She didn't have awand!"

"Correct, locked away in Ron's desk drawer."

)O(

Harry knocked on the hospital room door then opened it enough to put his head in, "Hermione? I have someone here who wants to see you."

She sat up and saw Harry holding his almost two-year-old son and leading her twenty-two month old daughter into the room.

Hermione slid from the bed to her knees and scooped her daughter up in both arms.

"Oh Rose, Rose, Rose, my little Rosie!"

"Auntie HewMynee!"

"James!"

Three year old James Sirius Potter ran up for his hug as well.

Albus Sirius wanted in on the hugging action too, so he fussed until Harry put him down to trot over to his auntie.

"Would you like to take the boys home?"

Her eyes went wide, "Can I, I mean, I'm free to go?"

"Yep, the doctor says you're fine, physically, and I happen to know you're not guilty of any crimes, so. . ."

Hermione stood, holding her daughter and nephew and started for the door. In her hospital jammies.

"Um, Hermione, would you maybe like to get dressed first?" He handed her a garment bag. "I'll take the kids."

She blushed furiously and nodded.

She opened the bag to find a day cloak, skirt, blouse, underwear, the simple comfortable brown shoes she favored and her wand.

Five minutes later she was dressed and out the door.

Fifteen minutes later she and Harry and the kids were in the London flat that she and Ron and Rose called home.

It was clean, almost too clean.

Harry went into the kitchen to put the kettle on.

Hermione took Harry's cloak and put it in the hall closet next to hers . . . and Ron's.

It hadn't really sunk in yet.

All his stuff was still there.

If she went into the bathroom all his toilet items would be there.

If she went to bed she'd still smell him on his pillowcase.

"It's like. . ."

"Like he's going to walk in any minute, right?"

"Yeah."

"Hermione, I'm going to need something from you. Not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon."

She nodded her understanding, "You'll want my memories of the, um, incident, right?"

"Yeah, I can bring a pensieve here, or you can come to my office at the DMLE."

"Don't you have everything you need, Harry?"

"We have a pretty good idea of what went on, but we need a first hand account."

"How about eight o'clock on Wednesday?"

"That will be fine, Hermione."

"But I need something from you too, Harry."

"What's that?"

"I need you to drop your occlumency shields."

He hesitated before answering.

"Later, perhaps. I still need to get through this investigation."

"Harry, your sons, remember James and Albus? They need a father now, and this Mr. Spock bit is /not/helping them."

Some of the foundation blocks of Harry's occlumency came loose as she said this.

"I, I can't. Not just yet." He took adeep, calming breath. "Soon. I promise."

"Do you want me to watch the boys today?"

"That would be very helpful, thank you."

Normally Harry would drop James and Albus off at the Burrow, but Molly and Arthur were grieving the loss of their two youngest children right now. Something that Harry didn't have the luxury of doing.

"I'll be back around five."

"I'll fix us all some dinner. You can feed Rose and I'll take care of Albus, all right?"

"See you then."

)O(

Author's Note: Pretty open and shut case, right? Care to guess what happens next? What will the pensieve reveal?

Keep reading for the answers to these and other unasked questions.
Sign up to rate and review this story