Categories > Original > Fantasy > Shadow

Hidden

by Babisko 2 reviews

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres:  - Published: 2009-02-07 - Updated: 2009-02-07 - 1238 words

0Unrated
I’m not too sure if I’m going to keep this story going, depends on if people like it and leave me some good reviews.

It took me a long time to get to write chapter. Even though, you know, I got it out on the same day I first published it.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was a dark, quiet night, just perfect for what I was planning to do. I had been standing here for the last few hours, biding my time.

My partner, Jennings, had just got here, and I had relayed the plan to him. I don’t usually work with partners.

I’ve been watching the house for about two weeks, learning the schedules of the people in and out around the mansion. Today was the day we were going to get in.

Today, the owner of the mansion was going to be out another four hours, and left around an hour ago. The maids or servants or whatever they are had already finished with that area of the house. I figured I have about two hours to get in and get out, if Jennings could dismantle the security system, so I could get in without trouble.

The owner was the man by the name of Arnold Richards, and was probably one of the most richest people in the city.

A few weeks ago, a man had come up to me, and asked me to ‘acquire’ something for him, from this Arnold man, and said I would be working with Jennings. Apparently I had to get something that cost millions of dollars, and I would get a cut of the profits. This wasn’t something I usually did, but the fact that, if everything goes smoothly, I could be set for life in just a few hours.

Never actually thought I’d ever be hired to steal something before.

“Are we going in or what?” Jennings asked impatiently from beside me. God, that man is annoying. If I’m not careful, he’ll ruin everything.

“Wait a sec, we have to make sure the time is right.” I said, not even bothering to look at him.

“It’s been a sec, now let’s go.” I turned to him, annoyed.

“Have you ever actually robbed someone before? I mean, like this?”

“No.”

“Then shut up.”

“Don’t fucking tell me to shut up.”

“Look, do you want my help or not?”

“No. I could probably do this better by myself,” the man said confidently. “I don’t need some kid’s help.”

“Then go ahead,” I practically snarled at him, and made to turn around.

“Wait.” He said, and I smirked to myself.

“Oh, are you admitting that you can’t?”

“Not at all. Our… employer, made it absolutely clear that we were supposed to work together, otherwise I wouldn’t get anything as well.”

“Don’t really see how that’s my problem.”

“It will be when he finds out that you didn’t do your job, like you agreed to.”

“First off, I doubt he could do anything to make it my problem, and second, I’m pretty sure it isn’t your job to make me not do my job.”

“Look, whatever, just hurry up, we’re running out of time.”

He was right, and I guess I’m finished trying to mess with him. I went back to crouching were I was earlier, and made sure that everything was in place.

“When we get there,” I pointed at a spot near the house, “I want absolute silence. Go when I give the signal.” I waited till he nodded his understanding, before making my move forward stealthily. If we get caught, it’ll be because of this bumbling idiot behind me. He’s about as quiet as a train in the dead of night.

Still crouching, I made my way slowly along the bushes, towards my destination, Jennings following a little less stealthily behind me. Stupid partners.

We finally got to the spot I’d pointed at, and stopped. It was close to the house.

After making sure the coast was clear, I gave Jennings the signal, and he went forward to do his thing.

A few moments later, I was in the house.

I wasn’t exactly told what I was supposed to steal, which was another reason Jennings was with me.

It. Sucks. Having. Partners.

I motioned him to follow me, and got us to the room that I knew we were supposed to go. That was all I knew. I knew I shouldn’t have taken this job. Something’s off about it, but I just can’t tell what. My instincts were telling me to bolt, and truthfully? I was about to say ‘Fuck this,’ and run off, reward or no.

But I was so close. I could have everything I wanted.

“What is it that we’re after?” I asked dejectedly. I hated living my life, even with the perks of stealing from rich idiots.

“A box,” Jennings finally told me, and I looked around. We were in a bedroom which was lavishly furnished. The master bedroom.

“Well what’s it look like?” I hissed, already beginning to search, but making sure I didn’t leave any fingerprints.

“Like something you’d but paper in.” Oh, that’s descriptive. I think I’ll be able to find it right away.

“More information, jackass.”

“A file box.” He finally relented. That’s better.

Now, if I was a box that held files, where would I be? Depends on what’s in the files. Not in the bedroom, that’s for sure.

“How the hell do you know its in here?” I asked quietly, turning to Jennings, who looked at me, and I could tell he was going to lie.

“Inside information.” I shrugged it off. They wouldn’t go in here half assed, would they? I looked at Jennings, who was rifling through the drawers. Yes, they probably would.

After a few more minutes of searching, we practically tore the room apart. Discretely of course, but found nothing.

“Are you sure its in here?” I asked again.

“Yes, now shut up, and keep looking,” Jennings was back to the drawers, and I shook my head. I was going to kill that man if he kept that up.

I leaned back on the wall, watching him, but really thinking about places where it could be hidden.

That bed looks comfy. Like really comfy. And it’s big, what the hell does he need such a big bed for?

To hide things under, was my first thought.

Oh. Well.

I walked to the bed and got on my hands and knees. The bed was high enough off the ground for me to crawl under, which is what I did.

There was a lot of junk underneath here. Nothing worthy of blackmail, mind you. Just a lot of useless crap. Huh.

I mean, isn’t this one place a maid or whoever should clean?

Or so I thought, when I found a box that looked a lot like the one I was looking for. Oh.

I was about to call out to him from underneath the bed, when the bedroom door opened. I heard something crash on the floor and shatter from the way of the drawers, and whoever was at the door screamed. Loudly.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I need some reviews, please?
Sign up to rate and review this story