Categories > Anime/Manga > Princess Tutu > Princess Tutu: the Diamond in the Rough

Music: Khachaturian’s Saber Dance

by paladin313 0 reviews

What happens when she has to act without the gem, as some rough, future decisions must be faced and understood.

Category: Princess Tutu - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy - Published: 2009-03-04 - Updated: 2009-03-05 - 6072 words - Complete

0Unrated


Chapter IX



Music: Khachaturian's Saber Dance



The three remaining warlocks watched with horror. They were getting snatched up quickly, and they began to wonder just how powerful this Tutu was. Drosselmyer was worried for another reason. The tragedy that he was trying to weave was quickly falling apart, and the kids would spoil everything again. Felix then spoke up and said,"Fools, this is getting us nowhere. Can't you see what's happening? Look at that red haired girl! Drosselmyer, who is she?"

He did not dare say. He knew that she was originally the duck that destroyed everything. Through Fakir's power, she was able to project Tutu in an astral form without the pendant, and provide the prince the transport he needed to defeat the Raven and rescue Rue. Despite a broken wing and several broken ribs, she managed to survive, and thwart his plans. Now she was back, she had no weakness as changing into a duck at inconvenient times, and was more mature. His meddling had changed her forever. Worse, because the boy had sealed away the story, he could not write on it, nor manipulate his distant grandson into writing what he wanted. He wondered how a tragedy could be done when everyone was acting with their free will, and apparently, the villains he chose were incompetent. He then figured that this was how Adelheid had trapped them initially, and if it were not for his writing, she would have been free, and then would have had him go up the short ladder and then down the short rope! Drosselmyer then said,"She's...been a thorn in my flesh for some time. Yet, she is not all that powerful. Look there!"

He pointed to her at the door as she watched Lillie make her confession. They then saw the diamond shard in her hand, and Drosselmyer said, "That is the source of her power. If you can take that from her somehow, then there is no more Tutu. She would be powerless to stop you."

Then Dolph said, "How are we going to get it? You know what happens when we touch it."

"Simple," said Rolf, "we get one of them to steal it, and then put it somewhere that she cannot ever find it again!"

They looked all around the school, but could find no one that had a heart to be a thief. They then began to look around the town for someone who could do the job.



Lillie began to see a counselor regularly after what she called her "sick time," and she began to deal with some deep rooted things that had been haunting her for some time. She was surprised how it was that little things could cause one to do some odd things. In the meantime, the relationship between Fakir and Ahiru was beginning to blossom. It was Friday, and the group decided to go out for pizza that night. Even though it was a casual thing, it never failed when Siegfried came along. As soon as they sat down in the fresco dining area, the staff of the pizzeria began to go ape, and made sure everything was to be of the best quality possible. "Well, I tried to keep it low key," said Siegfried, "It never fails!"

"Get used to it, Bubba," said Fakir, "It comes with the territory."

They all ordered, and the conversation was spirited. They knew they had a mission, but they did need a chance to have fun every once in a while. Joe heard some of the music playing, and he recognized the tarantella, so he started to sing it. Now everyone at the restaurant was having agood time. The chef came out with a can of anchovies for Joe, and said, "You're a good birdie, yes? Birdie wants a fishy?

"Nah," said Joe, "Give me a short beer!"

That threw him back a bit. "And a smart mouth birdie, I see," said the chef.

Joe said to him in Italian, "Smarter than you realize pizan!"

He patted Joe on the head, and then figured that he should be minding his own business. Everyone, including Uzzura, sat silent as they watched him go back in, and then they all busted a gut! Freya opened the can and began feeding the fish to Joe as they continued to eat. However, Rue began to notice just how affectionate that Fakir and Duck were getting, and nudged the prince, saying,"Uh, baby, do you see something not so good here?"

"I can't see what you think is..." and then he stopped, seeing what was happening, and then said, "Oh, I see what you mean."

"Don't you think that's a problem?" asked Rue.

Siegfried thought about it, and understood where Rue was going with it. At about this time, a karaoke machine was brought out, and Joe just had to be the first one up. They were quite surprised to see a bird come up and give it a try, but Freya assured them that it would be alright. He then asked for "She's Always a Woman to Me," and dedicated it to the beautiful blonde at table three. However, Fakir and Ahiru began to do apassionate pas de deux to the music. Uzzura then piped up and said, "Oh, they found their lovey-dovey-zura!"

"That's going to be a big problem," said Siegfried.

Uzzura did not understand, and said,"Lovey-dovey is bad-zura?"

"What is she," pointing to Ahiru.

"She's a ducky-zura!" answered Uzzura.

"Does she look like one now?" he asked.

"Oh no!" she said, "She looks like Duck-zura."

"When this is over, what shall she be?"asked the prince.

"A ducky-zura," she answered, and then the lights went on. "Ducky and boy can't be all lovey-dovey-zura."

"Yes," said Rue, "and we have to do something about it."

Rue then turned to Siegfried, and said,"You pull aside Fakir, and I'll talk to Duck. Maybe we can talk some reason into them."



As they danced, there were three boys nearby who had a bad reputation in the neighborhood. They were known for petty theft and vandalism, and they saw the crowd now forming around the fresco dining area of the pizzeria, dancing and singing. Normally this was their chance to do a little work, but something interesting happened to one of them. Rolf entered the picture, and entered the heart of the boy named Irving. Irvingthen said to his friends, "Say, I think I saw something neat in the jacket of that red haired girl dancing."

"You did," said Edward, "What was it?"

"It looked like a diamond!" said Irving.

"Are you sure?" said Julius.

"It looked large and smooth like an egg,"said Irving, "Ed, go get it."

Not thinking twice, he slipped into the crowd, reached into the pocket of the jacket hung round the chair, and snatched the diamond shard before anyone could see what was happening. He then went back and said, "Wow! Look at how big it is?"

"That will get us some money," said Julius.

"No said Irving,"we have to get rid of it.

"What do you mean, 'get rid of it?' Are you crazy?" said Edward.

Rolf was stuck. He told them to get it, and now he wants them to throw it away. He thought fast, and then said, "I didn't realize how big it was," he said through Irving,"That would be missed. They would look for us right away, don't you think?"

"Hey, no one saw me," said Edward, "They can't pin it on us."

"You know they'll blame us," said Irving,"Just get rid of it."

Julius thought for a moment, and then said, "Yeah, just give it to me, and I'll take care of it."

"Cool," said Irving, just don't be foolish.

However, Julius had no intention of getting rid of it. He was going to conceal it for a time, and then wait for the right time to hawk it. Meanwhile, Rolf remained inside Irving, because he knew that there could be quite a bit of chaos that he could now cause. He would have him escalate in his crimes, and then would seek to put him in a situation where his life would be at risk.



On the way back to the dorms, they were able to pull the other two aside and talk to them. Rue talked to Ahiru, and said, "Um...Duck..." not knowing how to start, and then said, "So, how's it been going for you as agirl?"

"That's a silly question," said Ahiru,"It's been going a lot better than the last time. I mean, there are no questions, no hang ups. You just know what needs to be done, and then you get it done. I could get used to this!"

"Ah...That's what I wanted to talk to you about," said Rue, "I mean, you do know what is going to happen when this is all over, right?"

"What do you mean?" asked Ahiru.

"Well," said Rue, "Look at Freya and Joe: remember how they were?"

"Oh, of course," said Ahiru, "Who couldn't see that?"

"Well, I mean," said Rue, "Look at Joe: do you think that's good?"

"Of course not," said Ahiru, "He wants to be himself again, I mean, who wouldn't want to be?"

"That's right," said Rue, "Who wouldn't want to be?"

Ahiru locked up, and then realized what Rue was saying, "Oh yeah, that's right. I'm only a girl because of what happened to Joe."

"Look," said Rue, "Its not that I don't like to see you like this, because it is a lot easier to talk to you. Yet, I mean, whether you are like this, or aduck, you are you, right?"

"Well, yes," said Ahiru, now not liking where this was going.

"And even if you have to speak in a sign language again, we can still talk, right?"

"I guess so," said Ahiru, her voice now lowering.

"I want you to understand something very important," said Rue, trying to act like an older sister if she could, "It doesn't matter to me what this outside shell looks like. It's not what I see out here that makes me love you. I love what is up here," and Rue put a finger on her forehead. She continued, "It's the person who lives in here that I like. No matter what you end up, you will always be the one I love, the one that helped save me, the one that gave me the greatest possible chance a girl could ever have. I've come to grips with that. A duck, as Duck, or as Tutu, all three are the same person-you! I will always love you. So, don't feel obligated to stay a girl, because I've seen you happy as all three, and the same personality is in all three. You can be a duck, and still be my friend."

"Thank you," said Ahiru, "I was feeling alittle awkward there, because I didn't know what you were trying to say, but Iguess it's okay."

She thought for a moment and said, "So, you're saying that I should be careful and not get attached to this, right?"

Rue thought for a moment, and said, "I think you understand where I am coming from. When we leave the stage of a ballet, sometimes it's a little hard to drop character, isn't it."

"Yes, that's true," said Ahiru.

"That's because we get so into it, that we, for a short time, convince ourselves that this is who we are," said Rue,"Yet, it is the best way do to it, because you become more believable. However, no matter how attached we get to arole, we must be able to not get so attached to it that it affects our lives. Think of this as a prolonged ballet. You are portraying a girl right now, but no matter how much you must throw yourself into this role to make it believable, you know that you are going to have to take off the costume at some point. I just want to be sure that you are ready for it."

Ahiru stood silent, knowing what Rue was saying, and she knew that Rue was right; yet, she could not help but think that there was something else to what she was saying. She had to ask, "Is there something else with this that you want to say?"

Rue was busted, and now she had to be as delicate as possible. She then said,"Well, what I am also saying is this: we also have to be careful in how close we get to some people, because if we get too close, it may make us do something irrational, and we could never drop the charade."

It did not take long for Ahiru to figure out what she was saying, and said, "You're talking about me and Fakir, aren't you?"

Rue hung her head, and said, "Honey, I'm sorry, but I fear you are going to hurt yourself. I mean, it's not like you to will be parted..."

"...but it would not be the same, would it?"said Ahiru, trying to finish Rue's statement.

"It only makes sense," said Rue, "considering the nature of your wish. Yes, you never mentioned being a girl, but, it must have been on your heart. You feel that you can give him more like this, don't you."

"Well...yes," said Ahiru, with tears now beginning to well up in her eyes.

"But, hasn't he said that he would love you no matter what?" asked Rue.

"That's not the point," protested Ahiru through the now growing tears, "I can't give him what he gives to me, and I so desperately want to."

"I'm sure you can in your true self, right?" asked Rue, "Have you ever thought about it?"

Ahiru began to cry, now realizing that, no matter what happens, she really did not have a choice. It was a hard slap, but it was the tough love she needed to get her to remember that this was not who she was, and that this was not permanent. Rue held her close as they walked, saying, "Now, now, no tears: be the big, brave duck that I've always known!"

Yet, Rue knew that someone was going to get hurt, no matter how it came out, and she wondered if Drosselmyer would get his tragedy after all. "Curse you, Drosselmyer!" she said under her breath.



Meanwhile, Siegfried was trying to talk to Fakir. However, the prince figured that he could be more straightforward, and decided to be more direct. He said to Fakir, "Wow, it sure looks like you and Tutu are getting close."

"I have not felt like this in a long time," said Fakir, "She, even as a duck, has taught me how to love. I despised her at one time, but now, she softened my hard heart. I owe her so much."

"That's good to hear, Fakir," said Siegfried, "because it makes what I am going to say a bit easier."

Fakir looked at him out of the corner of his eye, and said, "What do you mean?"

"I guess what I am saying..." he paused, and then said, "...is that you cannot get that close to her in the way I saw tonight. I mean, you two are already close, but this is going in a bad direction."

Fakir got the gist of it, and he could not get too mad at Siegfried, because he knew he was right. "I know what you are saying," he said,"because, when she goes back to her true self, it cannot be how it is right now."

"That's right," said Siegfried, "and Idon't want to see you hurt."

Fakir walked silent, realizing that he was right. He was lying to himself, thinking how he was lying to himself. Yet, he remembered what he vowed: he would keep her like that somehow. He just did not know how without writing astory and that was a line he was not willing to cross. You alter one person in real time like that, and it would be like a highly addictive drug. Once you start you cannot stop. He could not do that to her, or himself. Yet, there had to be some way. He then remembered something, "Yet, remember what your mother said?"

"What are you referring to?" asked the prince.

"She said that she was always the believer in the third option," said Fakir, "Perhaps she may know a way."

"I never considered that," said Siegfried,"She is very wise."

"Then we have to believe for the third option: there has to be a way," said Fakir.

"It's good to have hope, my friend," said Siegfried, "but we also have to remember to be ready to accept those things that we cannot change. If there is away, then don't give up hope. Yet, if it cannot be, remember that this is also another option, and you have to be ready for that."

"I'll face that when it comes," said Fakir.

"Then, be careful how far you take this,"said Siegfried, "because there is more than just her at stake here. A good knight like you knows how to face the hard choices well, and knows when he has to stand down."

He put his hand on Fakir's back, and said,"Be real, but never give up hope."



The next morning, Ahiru awoke from afitful sleep. On the one hand, she knew that Rue was right. This would not last, and she was allowing herself to hope against hope that, maybe, this could last. Yet, in the end, she was only a duck. She thought, "I have to be brave. I knew this was only temporary. It doesn't matter; I am me, no matter what."

She was trying to pick up her own spirits, continuing in her thoughts, "I'll be the best duck there ever was. That's how I was hatched, that's how I came up. I should just be thankful that I was given one more chance to be Tutu and help people. But..."

Her thoughts trailed off, and now she wondered if she were just lying to herself to try to feel better. She then thought, "But, wouldn't it be better this way. I know I can do great things, even as a duck. But can't I do more this way?"

She got up and got ready for breakfast. She had to eat and then tend to her studies. Maybe that would cheer her up, or at least, get her mind off things. She put on the outfit she had on the night before and went out.



As she exited, it so happened that she ran right in to Fakir. Suddenly, the feelings came back again. They met in between the dorms, staring at each other. "Look, we have to talk..." said Fakir at the same time as Ahiru was saying the same thing. They laughed a bit, and then returned to a serious face. Ahiru said, "Go first."

"I'm just going to be plain," he said,"You know I'm not one for beating around the bush. It has been great since you have been what Isee before me right now."

"Yes, it has been," said Ahiru, but Fakir continued, "But, you know that we have to be careful, right?"

Her face sank, knowing what he was implying. "Look, Ahiru...Duck," making sure to emphasize the 'duck,' "We do not know how long this will last. It could all be over tomorrow, it could take years. But we do know that it will end. All will go back to normal. It is so easy to be seduced into believing this story is real life, but we know its not. Joe is not a cockatoo, you are NOT a girl. We have to be careful, or both of us are going to get hurt."

Ahiru was now at a loss from words, trying to form sentences, but not being able to speak straight enough to say anything. Finally, she just came out and said, "Are...are you saying you don't love me?"

The last part of her sentence came out more like a squeal, as she crouched to the ground, her face buried in her hands. Fakir did not like what he was doing, but he knew he had to for both of their goods. He came over and crouched before her pulling her in and hugging her. "Nothing could ever stop that now!" said Fakir, "but we must accept things sometimes. I would love it if you could stay this way, but I have to be ready if that does not happen, and so do you."

"But I can't love you like this as a duck, I can't talk to you like this, be near to you, close to you, I can't do what Ido now as a duck," she bawled, "One day, you are going to want more, and Icannot give it. You'll have to find someone else, and then...and then..."

Now she was wailing. This hurt too much for words. (Meanwhile, Drosselmyer was watching with great delight thinking to himself, "I could not have written this better! Thank you, you two, thank you!") Fakir said, "Look, I just remembered, remember how Adelheid said that there was always the other option? Maybe she could come up with a way?"

That seemed to calm Ahiru down, and she said, "Do...do you think so?"

"It never hurts to ask her," said Fakir,"Pull out the diamond shard, and let's see what happens."

Ahiru went for the pocket, felt, and then tears went to shock in an instant, as her face went pale. "What's wrong?" asked Fakir with a sense of growing horror.

"I can't find it!" said Ahiru, "It's gone!"

Now Fakir stiffened, and said, "What do you mean, 'It's gone?'"

Without an answer, she rushed back to her room, and began to scour the place. Fifteen minutes later, she emerged, with Rue, Freya, and Uzzura in tow, and they all said, "We have to retrace our steps."

Siegfried, who had now come to join them, said, "We must find it, or we could be trapped forever in a world of chaos. With that, they began to retrace their steps all the way back to the pizzeria.



When the previous scene started, another person was awaking from a fitful sleep. All night long, Adelheid was planting thoughts in Julius' head. "Little boy," she said, "Little boy, that was wrong, what you did."

He shifted and turned, as the voice continued, "You must give it back to that nice girl. She never did anything to hurt you."

This continued throughout the night, and the boy's dreams were disturbed the whole way through. Maybe Irvingwas right. Maybe he should seek to get rid of it quickly. He arose, but the guilt was now eating at him. He got ready, and yet found it hard to eat his breakfast. He put his clothes on, grabbed the diamond, and headed out the door, trying to consider where to put the thing. He thought about just putting it back for her, or anyone for that matter, to find. However, he saw the gang scouring the fresco, and asking the crew what they may have found or seen. Instantly, he knew he could not go there, lest they accuse him of something. Thus, he headed the other way, thinking about an old abandoned well not too far outside town where he could throw the thing, and forget it all happened. However, on his way out, Adelheid said, "You could just give it back, and no one would be the wiser."

It was at this point that he realized that the diamond was speaking to him! He pulled it out, and said, "No, no one trusts me. I'll go to jail for sure!" and he began to run, and ran right into Irving and Edward. Irvingsaw what he was holding, and said, "I told you to get rid of that!"

"I don't to," he said, "You do it!"

At this, he threw it at Irving, but he jumped away as if someone had thrown a burning coal at him. Edward thought it funny, and he scooped it up and said, "What's the matter? You scared of it, or something?"

He then tried to reach out to him to touch him with it, but he began to run. Julius thought this a great game and ran ahead of Irving, saying, "Here! Throw it to me!"

He lobed it and Julius caught it, now chasing Irving. This is how things went on, and loud enough to catch Joe's attention. He flew overhead, and saw what they were throwing. He then swiftly flew back and said, "I found it! Follow me!"

They all stood up and followed Joe, and then were trying to keep up with the boys in their strange game of tag. They indeed had made it to the abandoned well by this point, and the game continued. Finally, Siegfried said, "Boys, you must stop this!"

All three froze, and then saw who spoke. "Oh great guns!" said Edward,"It's the prince's! Let's get out of here!"

However, Julius panicked, and tripped right over the edge of the well. Edward screamed, "No!" and went to the edge to look. Julius grabbed a log stretched out over the mouth, but lost the grip on the diamond as ht struggled to hold on. This is what Ahiru saw as she had run up herself. She screamed in horror as she watched the gem fall out of sight. Edward was begging the others to help his friend, but Irvingtried to clear out. This is when he ran right smack into Fakir, who caught him with one arm, and held him like afootball. "And just where do you think you're going, mister?"

"Put me down!" he screamed and kicked,"Get your filthy paws off of me!"

Fakir finally put him down, but restrained him. Meanwhile, Ahiru was at aloss. She could not become Tutu, and worse, it may well have been that the diamond shard was lost forever. "Now what?" she thought. However, Edward was screaming and begging, and now it was worse, because the log that Julius hung on was beginning to give on his weight. There was no time to think. Before anyone could act, Ahiru was up over the edge, trying to balance on the logs, and get low enough to give him her hand. "Please hurry!" he begged, and Ahiru was not sure what she could do. She wasn't Tutu at that point, and she only had what she had. However, she began to find that all the dancing and point class had greatly enhanced her balance, and she began to lower herself. Her urgency for the boy overrode her fear, and her thoughts that she could do nothing. As she neared, the creaking in the log increased. Everyone, (save for Fakir, who was restraining the third boy,) ran up as they heard the log break, tumble into the well, and the scream of the two in the hole. Everyone feared the worst, when two small hands suddenly clutched the edge. They quickly pulled him up, as they saw Ahiru climbing up behind him. "I was able to grab him and swing him up before the log broke," she said, as they pulled her out. Yet, they all looked down the well, knowing the loss. However, before anyone could react, they heard a voice say, "Worry not, my friends, all is well."

Out of the well came Adelheid, with the diamond in her hand. "You see, I am not trapped in this, and there was no way that I would have allowed the diamond's loss."

She handed her the diamond shard, and said, "That was a brave thing you did, Tutu."

"I'm not Tutu," said Ahiru, "It's just the role I have right now."

"That is where you are wrong, child," she said, "Even though you had the power granted you for a time, it left asignature on you. In truth, the spirit of Tutu has always been there since the first story, but now, it is a part of you. It will never leave. That was the spirit that caused you to act, even as what you are right now."

"I have a question..." said Ahiru, but Adelheid cut her off and said, "That can be dealt with later. In the meantime, look at the boy."

She put the gem to her eye, and saw Rolf all over Irving. Adelheid reentered the diamond shard, and then said, "Go somewhere, and change: you may be able to do it without transforming, but I think these three boys need something greater sparked in their minds."

Ahiru ducked behind some trees when no one was watching, and transformed. The scene then went to what it normally did when the transformation took place, and out stepped Princess Tutu. "Irving,"she said, "You are under a bad spell, and I wish to free you."

She reached for the amulet, but Rolf was more the wiser, and said, through the boy, and in his voice, "It will take more than that! He then stomped hard on Fakir's foot, who then let out a yell as he let go, and the boy took off. "Everyone, spread out and catch him!" said the prince, and they all scattered as he headed into town. Everywhere he went, it seemed like someone was ready to cut him off. He finally ducked behind a dumpster, and he thought he was safe. Suddenly, Uzzura began to beat her drum as she yelled, "I found him-zura!"

The boy nearly climbed out of his skin as he ran again. Since Julius and Edward knew that he had more problems than being a thief, they also joined in the chase. Finally, he ran out of room as he was cornered on the city wall. He was now surrounded, and Tutu approached, smiling and saying, "I would say, that was a fun game of hide and seek, but now it is time to stop running."

He tried to bolt again, but his two friends grabbed him. Tutu then reached out and touched him with the amulet, and the arc of red light headed straight for the park, and into the diamond. Once that was done, Tutu said, "Dance with me!"

He protested, "I don't do that sissy dance!"

"But the prince does it, and he is not asissy, is he?" reasoned Tutu as she giggled.

"I guess not," he said.

"And look at his faithful knight, Fakir,"she then said, "You know he is not a sissy, and he dances like that."

"He does?" he now said in wonderment.

"Oh yes," she said, "It helps him do all sorts of other things."

She then giggled again, and said, "Dance with me! Just dance freely!"

He was reluctant at first, but then he took her hand, and they began to dance. He surprised himself, and Tutu said, "Wow, you are a natural!"

"You really think so?" he said, and not sure why.

"Of course!" she said, "You have such anatural line and agility. I bet you could be a real great dancer!"

"No I can't," he said, "No one likes me. No one likes orphans."

"Oh, you poor thing," she said, "That's not true. Did you know that Fakir here was an orphan? Look at how he turned out."

"Really?" he said, in wonderment.

"Just because you are an orphan," she said, "does not mean that you cannot be what you want. You have your whole life ahead of you. I bet, if you started lessons now, you could go the academy, and be something someday-you and your friends."

"But...but who would take me now?" he said, as their dance ended.

"I would," said Siegfried, as he closed up a phone, "I have asked that the three of you become wards of the state. You three will live in the palace, get an education, and learn the dance. No one will ever come after you again, and one day, I promise you, you will be in the academy, and be famous. You can give hope to other boys. Do not ever let outward appearances make you think that you cannot be something great."

Tutu was already departing the scene, but she then began to ponder those words. She would have to talk to Fakir later.



At lunch, quite exhausted and hungry, the gang sat to eat. However, they took asecond or two to back away far enough for Fakir and Ahiru to talk with Adelheid. "I heard what the prince said, and I remember what I said as Tutu," she said, "and I am ready to accept whatever my fate may be."

"What brought this on?" said Fakir.

"I do want this love to blossom," said Ahiru, "but we have to be what we are, and today I proved to myself that I can be great no matter what I am. If it could be that we could be together like this, it would be great. Adelheid, is there anything you can do?"

"This must be a great trial for you two,"said Adelheid, "but it is true, we always have to expect the worst, but hope for the best."

"But, you've always talked about the other, or third, option," said Fakir, "Is there one here?"

There was a moment of silence, and then she said, "Let me ponder that for a while. I would say that there are always other options. We have to gauge what the others want as well, and we have to see what decisions present themselves at that time. We always have to have the ability to adapt, just like you did today, Duck. Let us just say, as long as there is even a slim chance, neither of you should give up hope."

They sat silent for about a minute, and Fakir finally said, "Look, let's do this," he said, taking her hands, very tenderly, "Let our friendship grow first. Let us not get all that friendly physically until we know that there would be nothing to prevent that. That way, all that will happen is that we will be even closer friends, and even if you must go back to being a duck, there will be nothing that we have shared that is so intimate that we will be tortured for the rest of our lives. How is that?"

Ahiru thought for a moment, and then said,"It sounds like a good idea," and they shook hands like they were making abusiness deal, and then laughed at themselves as they did this. "I feel like we just signed a business contract or something," said Ahiru.

"That's fine," said Fakir.

"In the meantime," added Ahiru, "I will think of ways that I can reciprocate all that you do for me, even if a duck is all I ever be. Rue gave me that idea."

"Reciprocate," said Fakir, "Is that what it's all about?"

"Partly," said Ahiru.

"Duck," said Fakir, "I would never ask you to go that far for me. You gave me alife, and that is all I could have ever asked for in you. All that I do is the least of what you deserve. Even if you stay a duck, even if I were to marry another, I would always want you around, and I would always take care of you. You know that."

Ahiru began to tear up, but with tears of joy, knowing that, if she had to let him wed another, if it meant his happiness, it was fine, knowing that you still would have a place in his life. "Then I'll be ready," she said, "Just be there with me when the time comes."

"Now, that's more like the Tutu I have come to know," said Adelheid, "But never give up hope for better."

They hugged, but stopped, and patted each others back, as the laughed, going forehead to forehead. "I love you, web-footed wonder!"

Ahiru smiled, but put a mock angry look on her face as she gave him a playful shove. Everyone then linked arm and arm as they left. Uzzura loved the sight, and said, "This must be friendship lovey-dovey-zura!" and played her drum as they marched out.
Sign up to rate and review this story