Categories > Original > Sci-Fi > The Hammegram Chronicles: The Dawn

Prologue

by hgcmp 0 reviews

A prelude to the adventure

Category: Sci-Fi - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Sci-fi - Published: 2006-03-25 - Updated: 2006-03-25 - 642 words

0Unrated
"Out of the night that covers me
Black as a pit from pole to pole
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.
In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeoning of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find me, unafraid.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate.
I am the captain of my soul. "
-William Earnest Henley

Rain violently pounds down from blackened cloud on to the streets and building of a large sprawling metropolis known as New Spaniel. From looking at its layout from above, one would think that its identity is a duality onto its self as one side is full of shining futuristic and classical architectural marvels that house some of the most affluent people and business in the United Stated. Its crowded streets are full of cars and people, who are running for shelter for its wrath. The other, divided by a set of tracks designed for its Metro train system, is the older part of the city that is quite the opposite. Building are tattered, warn and broken down with there once vibrant colors faded to brown or charred black for air pollution and fired. They stand as ghosts of an era that the wealthier have long forgotten or too young too remember and its inhabitance are forced to suffer the pain of neglect that this amnesia brings. Unlike the other side on town, many take no effort to find shelter from the in climate weather as some sit in the alleys and sided walks in depression or trapped in a world of their own, while others just seem to wander aimlessly through glass littered sidewalks, as rain relentlessly showers down on them.

Sitting wedged against a storm drain next to a sidewalk is a large pile file of filth that is quickly being eroded by the rushing water. Soon, the flowing stream reveals a small gold ring in the grime that it grabs and takes it with it into the sewers. As the small piece of jewelry falls to its underground river, it gets forced onward by its ongoing current as it twist and turns inside of it, running into all sorts of plunder in its floor. It keeps moving onward, enslaved by the water force, to the dark unknown of its final destination. Through more debris that pounds down on from above and other cross streams that intersect this one, the ring stay on this path as if it had purposely chosen it and refuses to deviate from. One wound almost think it had blind faith that its greater destiny lies on the other end of this path laid out in front of it, believing that all it had to do is trudge onward through this watery hell and salvation can be reached. So further onward it travels as the black of the night blankets the sewer and the sounds of the chaos of the storm outside echo all around it. When finally, it reaches on the end of the tunnel and plops in the water next to shore of the city's harbor. Hours pass by as the storm slowly weakens and calmness returns to the air with darkness becoming light. More hours pass as the ring sits there in the tide of the bay as many shadows of people pass by, ignorant to its existence. Eventually, its glimmer does catch the eye of someone as the stranger reaches and grabs the shiny trinket from the water and begins to walk off towards the city as the commencement of the next chapter in its existence begins.
Sign up to rate and review this story