Categories > Games > Final Fantasy 7

Sins Forgiven

by Mirime 0 reviews

Post Advent Children. Yuffie seeks Vincent out to talk about sins and forgiveness... Response to LJ 30_nights. Theme: #36 Don't worry I'll always be by your side

Category: Final Fantasy 7 - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Romance - Characters: Vincent Valentine, Yuffie Kisaragi - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-03-27 - Updated: 2006-03-27 - 1194 words - Complete

2Moving
Summary: Post AC. Yuffie has some questions for Vincent. This may contain spoilers for those of you who haven't seen Advent Children. The title is based on one moment in the movie. Not exactly fluff but definitely happier than my two previous pieces and a lot more interaction between Vincent and Yuffie. Written in train on my way to college.

Disclaimer/claimer: They belong to SquareSoft/Enix. I own only the idea and one copy of Advent Children movie.

------------------------------

He was sitting at the backsteps of Seventh Heaven, calmly staring ahead and not paying any attention to the sounds from inside. AVALANCHE was once again together, after almost two years of not seeing each other (with some exceptions of course) and they used this occasion to catch up on events in their lives. He slipped out shortly after Cid and Barret had gotten into shouting match about who could drink the other under the table and followed it with a drinking contest to prove their claims. Cait Sith was their referee, Red was playing with Denzel and Marlene, Cloud and Tifa talked in the corner in hushed voices and Yuffie was nowhere to be found. That left only Vincent and as he had had no desire to watch the two men make fools out of themselves, he had chosen the option of seeking some peace outside.

His peaceful evening was shattered when the door to bar flew open and someone came out. He didn't turn around to see who it was. He recognized the soft footsteps that practically screamed ninja with their silence. It seemed Yuffie wasn't missing after all.

"Hiya, Vinnie," she plopped down next to him on the steps. "Thinking about something interesting?"

"Not really," he replied and then almost grunted when Yuffie elbowed him. Hard.

"C'mon Vinnie. You know you can tell me. I promise to keep my trap shut."

"Yuffie, I was merely trying to enjoy peace and silence of this evening. I wasn't thinking about anything in particular," Vincent stated, putting slight emphasis on peace and silence. Yuffie was silent for a total of 10 seconds before trying different approach.

"Materia for your thoughts?"

If Vincent had been anyone else, he would have laughed aloud. Being Vincent, he merely let corners of his mouth to raise a little in something that resembled a smile. Yuffie responded in similar manner but then grew serious.

"I have a question, Vincent."

He turned his head to look at her face. She looked troubled by something.

"What is it?"

"Can sin be forgiven?"

He turned to face her wholly.

"Cloud told you?"

"No," Yuffie reddened slightly. "I was eavesdropping on him and Tifa until they got mushy. Grossness. But he told her about that conversation you had in the Sleeping Forest. You actually talked to nutcase like him for that long and you can't spare few moments for a nice and sweet girl like myself? I'm hurt Vinnie, I'm really hurt," she put one hand over her heart and the other on her forehead, pretending to faint. She swayed backwards and braced herself for the impact which never came. Vincent caught her and propped her back into sitting position. Yuffie blushed but Vincent wasn't looking at her. He was once again staring ahead. Yuffie scooted closer to him and leaned her head against his shoulder. When he looked at her in surprise, she grinned at him.

"I'm tired. That bahamut was tough."

"Why don't you go inside?" he suggested. "It would be more comfortable."

For you or for me? she wanted to ask but didn't.

"Naw. Cid and Barret are too loud. Besides, I like my current position. Your cloak is snuggly."

To prove her point, she bunched the red fabric under her head and closed her eyes. Vincent stared at her a moment longer and decided to let it go. They sat in silence for some time and just as Vincent thought she had fallen asleep, Yuffie spoke up.

"Why don't you try it? The forgiveness, I mean."

"Certain sins can't be forgiven, Yuffie. No matter how much you wish for it."

"Bullshit," came Yuffie's reply. "Everything can be forgiven."

"You're too young and optimistic."

"And you are too pesimistic," she shot right back. She straightened up and turned to face him. "Vincent Valentine, I forgive you for everything you think is your fault even if it isn't and I even forgive you for things that actually are your fault like not calling me to ask how I am. See? It was easy."

Vincent shook his head and looked away.

"You can't just go and say it. It doesn't work that way."

"Funny how I always thought it worked exactly that way. Vincent, it has been over two years. Why don't you let the past go?"

"I can't."

Yuffie fell silent. Vincent was a tough nut to crack but she would do it no matter what. It wasn't in her nature to give up and Vincent would better realize it. He didn't know but she had spent a lot of time thinking about him and thought she had a certain insight into his mind. Time to test it.

"You are scared, aren't you?" she felt him stiffen next to her and knew she had hit the jackpot. "You're afraid that if you forgive yourself and let go of your past you'll have nothing left."

"Will I?" he inquired quietly.

"Hell yes!" Yuffie exploded. "You'll have your friends. You'll have me," she blushed when she realized what she had just said. Vincent regarded her with a thoughtful expression and she tried to decide whether to die of mortification on the spot or run away and hide until everyone was leaving, especially after his next words.

"For better or worse?"

"Vincent!" Yuffie practically screamed at him. "You... you..." she couldn't find words as she blushed so much she matched his cloak. "That wasn't what I meant. I wanted to say we're friends and friends help each other. And I didn't mean that you'd have me in the sense of... of... you know what... but as a friend. Like Cloud or Tifa or Red... I didn't mean it like that," she finished with a huff, still red as Nanaki's fur.

"I know."

"Good," Yuffie couldn't think about anything else to say. When she felt a yawn coming she decided that she couldn't be humiliated more than she already was and snuggled to Vincent again.

"Yuffie?"

"Hmm?"

"I don't know if I can forgive myself but I will try it."

Yuffie smiled. Not her cheeky grin or mocking grimace but a real, happy smile. She had done it.

"Promise?"

"Promise."

They sat there until the first light of the new day.

THE END

I hope I didn't make Yuffie too serious but I think that anyone who has gone through what she has, has to be more mature than their physical age. And I always thought that Yuffie is much deeper character than some people give her credit for. And Vincent in here is Advent Children Vincent, which means he can joke. After all, he did in AC. As for the next fic, I'm trying fluff. Beware!
Sign up to rate and review this story