Categories > Original > Mystery > ID Alpha: Cyprus

Crime Scene

by Shank 0 reviews

Alpha and Boreas finally get their chance to check out the crime scene. They do not like the evidence in front of them.

Category: Mystery - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-04-06 - Updated: 2009-04-07 - 4589 words

0Unrated
Now they were travelling out of the city and into the suburbs. Alpha could now tell the buildings were getting smaller as the residential houses got bigger. The streets were also less crowded the further out they drove. It wasn’t an overly long drive. Getting anywhere in Cyprus wasn’t too long as it was a small country and there wasn’t a big amount of traffic. Soon enough, they came to a housing estate, Alpha and Boreas looked at their window at the rather large house, which still had police tape wrapped around it. They were finally at the crime scene. While Boreas seemed rather nervous about having a look, Alpha began looking around-scanning the area. It was a nice housing estate; this house compared to the others was big. It had a lot of land, double story and it had a smaller house which almost joined onto it-this must have been where the security guards had their shifts watching over the Ambassador. He wondered if the Ambassador had any reason to be paranoid, or if everybody had a guard. He looked back at the driver who didn’t get out of the car and was going to let them do their job, “Excuse me, but do all the government officials have a security guard at their house or was it just the Ambassador?”
“Some of them have had the opportunity and offer to have one, but only the Ambassador took it…and the President.” An interesting little fact. He was obviously the President of the country, but in a land so loyal to their kin-what would his reasons be for wanting extra protection. It could have been nothing, but Alpha noted it down in his notepad. It was a sunny day; the winter breeze wasn’t overly cold today, which made things pleasant. “So what do you think of the location?”
“I think it is a little far away from anywhere if he needed help. There are only a couple of houses around here. The last line of protection the Ambassador had was the security guards that he kept with him. The house is large, so we will be here for a while looking through the rooms and most likely trying to piece it together.” Alpha was a little worried as they were not getting a chance to look at a fresh crime scene but coming to it a couple of days after when most of it had been cleaned and things taken for evidence. There had to be something he could find though-there always was. So what Alpha had to go off for this was Boreas’ help, the crime scene photos, witness statements, reports from local Cypriot authorities on what they found and his own analytical skills from the scene.
Boreas was trying to clear his mind as best he could. So he could begin taking everything in and storing it in his memory. He saw Alpha with his notepad and wanted to ask why he didn’t have a good memory. All these geniuses he heard about had an incredible memory, but he wasn’t aware of the medical reasoning behind Alpha’s condition.
They slowly walked up the driveway to the front door and opened it slowly. They came to the main living room, the room by which the reports and the photos indicated-the Ambassador’s body was found and the murder took place. Alpha looked around, they had left the mess for Alpha to look at which was appreciated. Glass lay everywhere, the pictures didn’t really indicate how much broken glass was everywhere. “Where did all this glass come from?” Alpha said.
“A vase maybe?” said Boreas. Alpha nodded. This was a good suggestion and could explain it. Alpha couldn’t put his finger on it, but something seemed odd about the room. Alpha read the file out loud, “Petra Kleanthis, found in the middle of the room.” He walked over to where the body was found and stood over the top of it, looking at the floor as if the body were still there. The photo showed him lying face down on the floor. There were no spatter wounds from bullet holes in the carpet around him. So an early judgement would be he wasn’t killed while he lay on the floor-maybe he dropped dead there? The photos showed Petra had been shot multiple times-one of them in the back of the head. If that were the case, he may have been standing up, or kneeling down. Alpha looked through the photos and around the room for exactly where that could have happened. Because if he could prove he wasn’t merely shot and left for dead, it begins to look less like an organised assassination rather than a simple kill. From the photos and where he stood, there were no obvious signs of where that took place. “Boreas, if you see blood spatter-anywhere, let me know.”
Alpha looked back at the photos. The obvious signs of struggle from them still lay around him. The vase idea Boreas just said was indeed sound, but the glass shattered everywhere bothered him. There were even bullet holes in the wall. If multiple people came in and went after Petra, why then was there a struggle? If it was professional or whatever, the Ambassador shouldn’t have even had the chance to struggle. There was more at work than people suspected and it seemed like he was outnumbered. Alpha saw Boreas checking things out and he himself tried to concentrate and add things up in his head to solve this problem. From what he could tell, it looked as if he was taken down by someone local, someone that knew his house and knew ways to get him but did a poor job of pulling it off well. Alpha believed the men had some basic military training in pulling this off. While this was a good clue it didn’t narrow things down much. Men in Cyprus upon finishing high school must serve 3 years in the army. The Greek Cypriots are always prepared for way and ensure they have fit people ready for combat. Although there were rumours it could have been an inside job-the government would have been way more professional with no evidence to go off. “Looks more like a gang barrage attack doesn’t it Boreas?”
“Sure does. People taking certain points in the house and storming in on a call. No real formations or strategy involved at all. Just go in guns blazing and this is what we get.” Although this was the evidence in front of them, Alpha couldn’t shake the suspicion that Anarchy had planned this all along and this is exactly what he wanted Alpha to see. If the government did do a professional job, would it then make them more suspicious rather than like they didn’t have a part? Of course it would, Alpha answered in his own mind.
They soon branched out from the house, making their way slowly through the rooms taking notes of angles the intruders came in from and shot at the Ambassador by the holes in the wall. There was no evidence that jumped out at them, the file and the photos didn’t really prove overly useful along with the scene. It seemed to have all happened downstairs, which made Alpha want to have a close look upstairs. If Anarchy was as smart as he believed, he would be about distraction-make your enemy look one way when they should really be looking the other. If Anarchy had wanted downstairs to look like a warzone, maybe it was upstairs that would prove conclusive. He slowly walked upstairs, and the first room he came to was the bedroom. Alpha stood in the middle of the room and let his mind do the work as he looked around. Any person that could have seen his thoughts wouldn’t have been able to keep up. Scanning images, processing them and putting them into the visual equation in front of him were all part of his routine in solving murders nobody else could. He was startled by a loud bang behind him. Boreas had come charging into the room and accidently slammed the door into the wall. Alpha turned around, a little agitated, “Be careful Boreas-you could ruin the crime scene.” He watched Boreas open the door and look at the wall. He had made a dent in the wall-well at least they thought it was him. Alpha went over to have a look. The dent was definitely from him, but something was wrong. As Alpha looked at the door, he noticed that on the inside edge-the door was blunt and chipped as if it had been slammed numerous times before but it wasn’t the door that Boreas had slammed into he wall, it was a rather big lock from the door that stuck out enough to hit the wall first leaving the door untouched by the wall. “If this lock had always been here, how could the door have any marks on it?” said Alpha out loud. The lock didn’t look brand new so it didn’t stand out-but it hadn’t always been there he was sure of that, “Go around the house and check if there are any other locks like these?” Boreas nodded and left the room. He waited for the answer he knew he would get. There were no other locks like this in the house, which meant this lock was from somewhere else. He wrote down the clue and the type of lock and heard Boreas call out to him, “HEY DIDN’T THE FILE SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE LOCK BEING STOLEN?” Alpha recalled something like that, but couldn’t remember exactly-if Boreas said it was, he believed it was. Alpha couldn’t help but smile. The Ambassador was scared of something, which is why he needed the security guard there to feel safe. But why would he take the lock off the backdoor and replace this one, it didn’t make sense. Unless it was done after the murder and something did happen in here like he suspected. So the door had possibly been barged open and maybe the original lock came off. Alpha looked around and found a couple of sharp metal objects in the bathroom he could wedge in between the door and the lock enough to kick it off. As he looked at it, this lock had been put on where another had come off. The old lock was most likely broken, which meant to be kicked down from the outside, the Ambassador may have made it to his bedroom and locked the door.
There was no forensic evidence from the bedroom however in the reports that had been done on the entire room. Which meant that for there to be a murder or any kind of assault in here was unlikely. Murderers couldn’t have had enough time to clean up that well if they committed the murder in here, especially if it was a gang storming him. So this meant that Petra almost eluded them once he got into his room. He checked around to see if there were any secret exits and then thought, he was missing the obvious-the window. Alpha walked over to the window to see something else that was interesting. It was a rather large sheet of glass which had two moving window panels within it. When both panels were checked-there was another inconsistency found. The area the house was in was very common to have dirt be carried through the wind and would naturally sits on the window sills and frames. Alpha saw that only one panel and frame was dirty while the other rather clean. So from the look of the window, it had been cleaned recently-or replaced. Why there would need to be a new window or lock in the room was very weird, maybe the Ambassador got out and cut himself on the way out which then needed to be rectified by the intruders. Alpha opened the clean one and had a look around. He could see down the driveway and the driver still waiting at the end. He tried opening the other dirty panel and found it was locked. Why would one panel be locked for? Alpha noted it and also asked Boreas to look at it before moving on.
Next job was to go around the perimeter of the house looking up and down seeing if there was anything from the outside. Alpha looked at the file for the statement the Cypriot police had documented saying multiple people had entered from what was believed to be the front, the back and the side doors. From what it looked like, they knew the general layout of the house, which allowed them to get in unseen, but this should also have cut off any escape route. How the Ambassador made it upstairs to his room seemed to be a miracle in itself. Alpha could picture the man being very loud and vocal, screaming at Petra while pointing their guns at him hoping to freeze him up in shock and fear and stop him resisting. That may explain the signs of struggle they were seeing around them. However, Alpha knew one thing-the Ambassador was ready for something, which explained the security he had around the house. The shooters also seemed like terrible shots at the state of the house and the scene. “What do you think?” Boreas asked him.
“I think there is no way Turkish Cypriots could get this far into Cyprus, locate the Ambassador, and storm his house knowing a layout of the rooms and get away.” Passing the driveway Alpha looked back up at the Ambassador’s window and didn’t know what it meant. It had a perfect view of him from where he stood and he looked down at the gravel driveway to see something he saw in no pictures or statements. “Hey Boreas, Boreas came over and saw what they were looking at. A couple specks of blood on the floor blending in between grass, gravel and rocks. Alpha got out an evidence bag and put it in. So had one of the murderers been wounded in the struggle-or had the Ambassador made it further than what they thought? The last place to check was the security shed where the guard was murdered. Alpha looked back at the driver who was eyeing their movements off. Boreas dragged him away from staring at him back to the small building attachment.
As they proceeded around the outside of the safe house, Alpha was thinking how unfair it was that someone like the guard could be killed yet nobody would remember or cared that he died. He wanted to make sure, that wasn’t going to be the case, and he wanted this man’s killer to be solved just the same as the Ambassador’s. The file said that the guard had been stormed and given no chance to fight back. There is one entrance to the safe house and if there is only one entrance, the men would have piled in giving no chance of escape. However, this looked a little cleaner than the Ambassador’s murder. The guard had been killed with one shot, straight through the head. So it would seem the person that came in here was quite an expert shot that was quick and the guard most likely didn’t even realise what was happening before he was killed. Boreas opened some drawers and cupboards seeing that there was a mini television set in there. Alpha wondered why it wasn’t out on the desk plugged in. Alpha considered the possibility a few people knew their lives were in danger and needed to be on their guard. Alpha looked at the crime scene photo as well as the desk in front of him. Even though they were worried about something happening, he appeared to not even being close to ready for any kind of ambush. If they had gone for the Ambassador first, the guard would surely have heard the struggle. So this meant the guard was killed first. The killers would have snuck quietly up to the door and quickly gone in and with one shot taking him out. But it was strange why he was taken out so quickly when compared to the man he was guarding. Alpha looked down on the desk to see a button within easy reach of the person sitting there. Alpha and Boreas looked at each other; slowly Alpha leant his arm down and pressed it in. Nothing happened. Then within a couple of minutes, they could hear sirens roaring closer to them. Soon, there were numerous police cars outside the house with men coming up to arrest them, “What the hell did you do?” Boreas yelled with his hands in the air.
Alpha’s mind didn’t respond well to this. He waited for them to get his ID out and try to confirm his identity but it was the driver waiting for them at the bottom of the driveway that really helped them out of this situation. “The intruders must have known about the panic button,” said Alpha conclusively. “If they had made one slip up, this button would have been pressed and the whole thing would have been wrecked. The question is why is their shooting pinpoint when it had to be, but then so terrible to kill their real target?”
“Because they pretended like their shooting was terrible.” Now things were starting to make some headway and Alpha really had some good stuff to take back to Beta. But there was another thing on his mind, for the killers to know about the panic button, only leant more suspicion on the Greek Cypriot government.
They had finished with the crime scene for now having made some very good developments. They had one more stop for the day before retreating back to their hotel. They had visited the House of Representatives in the morning and after lunchtime they had occupied themselves at the crime scene until afternoon. The last stop would keep them until evening and probably the most morbid visitation of the trip-the morgue. There was only one morgue in Cyprus and it was on the Greek side. There wasn’t really a need for one as there were not a big amount of questionable or violent deaths in Cyprus let alone the people that could afford an autopsy for a loved one. A death of this calibre however called for its use and this is where the Ambassador’s and the guard’s body were being kept until having a proper burial. The morgue was closer to the city than the crime scene, but not fully within it. It didn’t look like a morgue but then again Alpha had always tried to avoid going to the morgue so he never really saw one. He didn’t know why he expected a morgue to have a particular look to it, but he just couldn’t picture it to so…well kept.
They were taken inside and signed in before going through to where the bodies were stored. They opened the slide out safe drawer the guard was being held in and it showed a rather clean body. There was a single bullet hole right between the eyes. Incredible accuracy and precision when pulling this off especially when storming through a door and not knowing where the guard was before seeing him. The added risk of killing him before he could push the panic button only shows how skilled this killer was. There were good soldiers in Cyprus-but this looked as if someone of a much higher training programme had pulled this one off. The bullet had definitely killed him instantly and although this was a piece in the murder and ultimately Anarchy’s plan-there wasn’t much Alpha could go off now. Quick and easy killed were not the easiest to picture in his mind-it was the Ambassador’s body that would give him a little more insight and pieces to the puzzle. His death wasn’t as nice as the guard’s. He was fully aware of the danger he was in and most likely being killed as well. He had a bullet hole in the back of his head; the pathologist found residue through his hair which meant the gun had been placed up right against the back of his head. The exit wound had been a little higher than the mouth to the side of Petra’s nose. This was execution style at its best-which meant the other bullet holes which were from a wider distance must have been to bring him down. His arm, shoulder and hip had been hit with a bullet-but the one that stood out the most to Alpha was one through the calf muscle. The pathologists report believed it had punctured the skin and severed the artery which would have caused excruciating pain and leaving Petra unable to put any kind of weight down on that leg. So were they toying with him? Or had this actually been another case of deadly accuracy like the guard put in place? The bullet hole in his leg was from even wider than the other wounds. In fact from what Alpha could tell, there was not enough room in the house anywhere to pull off a shot like this. More and more the suspect they were looking for seemed to excel in shooting training and had some kind of Special Forces training. A much different crime scene to what they witnessed which looked like people had gone in there all guns blazing. They were almost done here, Alpha heard Boreas call out to him once again. He was looking at the guard’s body. As Alpha walked over one of the supervisors there watching over them tried to stop them from looking at the guard’s body, even blocking them from going any further and touching the body. Alpha looked him in the eye and began talking Greek, “You listen here, we are here to help you out-now do not do this otherwise I am going to assume you are hiding something.” The man obediently moved and Boreas pointed to a mark on the guard’s back that they couldn’t see properly. They rolled him over and Alpha almost threw up. There was a tattoo there; Alpha read it as ‘Sumphutos Notos’ which basically translated meant, ‘United South’. The words were surrounded by thorns and Alpha couldn’t believe what he was seeing. “Even though I cannot read that. I think I know what this means for our investigation…does it?”
“It means this guard, watching over the Ambassador, was a member of a freedom fighter gang.”

It was getting darker as the end of the day was about to close for the night. A winter night in Cyprus wasn’t as busy as a summer night, but it was lighted up all the same and there were still some coming home from work and dinner. Another walked down the street. He wasn’t from around there and anyone that took notice of him would never have believed he was Cypriot-but nobody noticed him. He almost glided through the sidewalk, silently and casually and pretty much got anywhere without a great deal of people realising he was there. As he got to his hotel, he checked behind him to make sure nobody was following him-it was instinct to do this, to always make sure he wasn’t in any danger. He couldn’t believe he felt a little disappointed he wasn’t being followed as he loved showing what happened if people tried to get the better of him. He went into the lobby and up the elevator. When he got to his floor he walked down the hall till he got to his room, as he opened the door he didn’t turn on his light even though it was in complete darkness. He didn’t have to see anything in the room but he knew where everything was, it was almost like being able to completely see in the dark and having a sixth sense telling him something was close. The idea of not turning on a light is to bring no attention to his room whatsoever, even if there were other rooms with their lights on. He opened his window to bring some fresh winter air into the room and then went over to his bed which he had left his guns in their case underneath. It was time to think over the plans, and he always thought better when he was cleaning his guns. He could always use this time to ponder over things that concerned him and the plans for Cyprus. It was going to benefit him extremely well and so it should considering the risk he was taking by being involved. He wondered if anyone else could have done this job without him coming here for it, but knew that something like this needed someone of his calibre on it. It had to be done right.
The last update he had heard was that someone had been sent over by an authority higher than what they had dealt with before. They knew this was going to happen and he hoped this guy was good. He really wanted the person that had been sent over there to come was competent. If he was half the person he hoped he would be, he may even get close to stopping their plan. Many of his types would never want someone good to be there, but the risk and the enjoyment he gets from outsmarting the best gave him the rush to stay focused with his work. If things got to boring, there was the chance he may get sloppy and mess up. But this plan was so well constructed. He honestly believed nobody could be smart enough to find out what was going on and even if they did, they would soon be dead. Those others that are involved with the operation had done well in giving him protection and access to equipment had done well. He knew he could use them to his advantage as pawns when the time came for it.
As he finished cleaning one of his guns, he sat it up on the window and looked through the scope. People were going about their daily business below, most getting dinner with their friends and family. The gun wasn’t loaded which meant he could put people right in his target and pull the trigger. This eventually grew tiring and he wished he could start shooting various things in the street to test his skills. Wheels of passing by cars, a bottle of water from a mans hand and so many things he could have done to pass the time.
However doing that would be of great disrespect to the people had made sure he was being sheltered and the authorities would soon be on his tail. He looked at the television and almost considered turning it on he was that bored. Instead he got out some files and blueprints and revise over them for the millionth time and jot down anything extra that would assist him.
Sign up to rate and review this story