Categories > Original > Fantasy

test

by Heartbreakone 0 reviews

this is just a test, no real story...

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG - Genres: Sci-fi - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-05-21 - Updated: 2009-05-21 - 658 words

0Unrated
The year is 2552; the human race has outlived mother earth and is forced to disperse. They’ve expanded their population to distant worlds and created several colonies on orbit of different planets. The super advancements in technology have made space travel a breeze thanks to the combined forces of science and military. It has enabled us to provide inhabitable planets the necessary elements to support human life. During this time, the Covenant, a wide group of hostile creatures set on destroying mankind, has disoriented the human population and our newly inhabited planets. Now, twenty years later, the human-covenant war is over and the few planets that were once the center of battle for the military now remain uninhabited, or so we think.

The planet Omicron Persei 8: similar to earth in every way, supported life during and afther the human-covenant war. Due to this planets diverse enviornment, all aspects of known life can be supported without any intervention. The planet is mild; weather is pretty much the same as Earth’s and most of the planet has everything earth once did. But on the planet’s western hemisphere, there lies a rocky mountainous desert region similar to that of the Grand Canyon. Only this region covers the entire quarter part of the planet and then some. The canyons include rivers and streams on the bottom, high cliffs, desert atmosphere, and a whole lot of sky. Here lies the predator of Western Omicron.

Because of Omicron Pi8’s ability to support life so well, the humans have brought the last surviving species of domesticated and wild amphibians, reptiles, mammals, birds, and themselves to various regions of the planet. Scientist have studied this western region and stumbled across a new animal. It has been said that the creature is the guardian of the planet and was the first species to inhabit it. Scientist, however have another theory: The Komodo Dragon species that once lived in certain locations on earth overpopulated Omicron. But due to the constant ground battles that the war brought out, the species was wiped to almost extinction. During the years after the war, the few dragons that lived in what the western hemisphere formed colonies and formed their own groups. The bottom of the canyon is where all of the remaining species lived. The isolation of this group enabled them to develop longer limbs to partially stand upright, and a tougher scaly body, a longer neck to reach birds’ nest just out of reach, and horns for combating other predators. The dragon developed wings in an effort to try to reach the top of the canyon giving it a good food supply. It would, with its long limbs and claws, climb up the side of a canyon wall to a tree with a condor’s nest hanging from It. Then would eat the eggs and lay its own so that the bird can care for their own. Soon after, the species as a whole became more independant as the population grew.

The height of the dragon is now of human height, ranging from 4 to 10 feet. tall. Length from head to tail could range anywhere from 16 to 20 feet. Its diet consists of snakes, bugs, lizards, birds, and bigger mammals that venture too far into its range. It is suggested that humans may be a target meal for the beast because of the unfriendly confrantations with the scientists. Reports say that the team had to take the life of one of the dragons because it destroyed several observation facilities on the planet. Its also reported that the beast devoured the human occupants because of the observations inside the stomach. Although seemingly unstoppable, this new dragon’s natural enemy is that crocodile mainly because of the dominance struggle for the bottom of the canyon reigon. Groups of lions and crocs have also killed some of these large beasts for food. This dragon stays on the top of the food chain, but

Sign up to rate and review this story