Categories > Original > Romance > In A Darkened Room

Chapter 17: Spells, Chants and Heavenly Charms

by mishisama 1 review

Category: Romance - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy,Horror,Romance - Published: 2009-07-10 - Updated: 2009-08-08 - 4290 words

0Unrated
In A Darkened Room
By Mishi

Chapter 17
Spells, Chants, and Heavenly Charms

Cars lined both sides of the street in front of Allison’s house, leaving Touya little choice but to park in front of her neighbor’s property. The sky was clear and a half moon glowed above them. There was a slight breeze coming from the north, and it held a chill that reminded one winter was on its way. Maire wrapped her arms around herself as she walked up the little sidewalk to the cottage. Touya rang the doorbell and waited. Wanting to warm her up, he opened his coat and pulled her in front of him; bringing her in close to his body he closed his coat around her. He knew his cold body would not warm her up, but it would block her from the wind.

The door opened and Allison greeted them wearing a long black velvet cape, which had holes cut into the fabric for her arms to fit through. “Oh, don’t you two look cute!” She sang stepping aside so they could enter.

The living room walls were the same pale yellow of the dinning room; and the lovely cream carpet that covered the dinning room floor covered all the floors, with exception of the bathrooms and the kitchen. Immediately to the right of the door, and on the same wall, was the large bay window that was great for lying in the sun. Allison had added a quilt and several throw pillows to cover the wooden surface for just that purpose. A few feet out from the wall in front of the bay window, sat two white upholstered Victorian style chairs. On the adjoining wall sat a large white couch that could easily seat five to six people. Above it was an equally large painting of fairies dancing among wild flowers. An expensive oak coffee table that stretched the length of the couch set before it. To the right of the couch, and between the opening to the dinning room and the living room, sat two more Victorian style chairs with white upholstery. Immediately to the left of the door was the entrance to the laundry room, which also led out to the garage. Along that same wall was a lovely white marble fireplace. Above it hung a painting of young maidens dancing around a Maypole.

Tonight the living room was filled with people. Black caped covered figures filled all four of the chairs, and four more took the couch. There was a quiet hum of voices that did not go unnoticed as the couple walked in.

Allison shut the door and turned to face them. “I’m glad you finally got over yourself and let Maire win,” she laughed and crossed her arms.

“Yeah, yeah, what can I say…she’s persistent,” Touya responded with a smile as he took up Maire’s hand and kissed the back of it.

“It’s more like he won. He hit me with an ultimatum and now he’s my boyfriend,” Maired added sarcastically while looking down at the floor.

Touya backed her up and pressed his body against her back, and then wrapped his arms around her waist; he bent in close to her cheek and replied, “I haven’t heard any complaints so far.”

“Oh, please, I’m going to vomit!” Allison laughed. “Save it for later, horn dog, we girls have things to do,” she teased as she took hold of Maire’s hand and led her forward. The crowd, who had been trying not to notice their conversation, was now quiet and looking at Maire. Allison put her arm around Maire and announced, “Everyone this is Maire. The dork that escorted her here tonight-who is so not worthy-is Touya.”

“You’re a riot, Allison,” Touya said while rolling his eyes and coming up to stand next to his girlfriend.

As a group, everyone made some sort of welcoming gesture and waited for Allison to introduce them.

Allison started her introductions with the gentleman seated in the chair closest to the door. He was a bit chubby with a graying blond beard and neatly trimmed hair that matched it. He had the sort of cheerful expression that you could tell was not for show, but said he was truly content with who he was. “My first two intros are going to be a little out of order, but I want to start with the elder members of the group. M this is Eric,” she stated as she motioned in his direction. “He’s been a practicing Wicca for over thirty years now.” She bumped Maire with her elbow and added, “He’s like the dad of the group.”

Eric snorted and chuckled to himself silently.

“Next is Jenny,” she directed Maire’s attention to the tall blond seated on the left end of the couch. Jenny’s hair was done up in braids, one on each side of her head, and her blue eyes sparkled in the light of the room. She held the same cheerful quality that belonged to Eric, but she didn’t look much older than Allison. “Jenny actually started the coven. She’s our go-to person when it comes to finding the right spells to use, or for getting out of tough spots. And she’s been practicing since she was in grade school.”

“Yep, I got my first tarot deck when I was eleven and I have been doing my own thing every since,” Jenny announced happily.

“Wow!” Maire whispered with large eyes.

“Setting next to Eric is Beverly, and she has been practicing for twelve years.”

Beverly had short curly brown hair and a round face, and she looked like someone’s mom dressed up for Halloween. Maire thought she would look more at home at a PTA meeting than in the middle of a Wiccan coven.

“Sitting next to Jenny, we have the couple of our group, James and Sarah. Sarah started practicing the Craft back in high school about ten years ago…am I right on that, Sarah?”

“Yeah, I started in my freshman year, so it’s been about ten years,” Sarah confirmed. Her skin had a healthy glow and her light brown hair hung loose over her shoulders. Everything about her seemed delicate, from her small wrists to her pale face.

“And James started in college, so it’s only been about five or so years. The sweet thing is that Sarah and James met in a Wiccan club on campus and have been together every since,” Allison added.

James spoke up, “It took us a while to get to it, but we finally got married.” He smiled at Sarah as he finished and she smiled back. James looked very manly with his square jaw and large frame. His hair was so dark brown it was almost black, and it was wavy at medium length.

“The red head next to James is Kim. Watch out, because she is the trouble maker of the group,” Allison said with laughter in her words as she gave Maire another playful nudge.

“Watch it girl, I resemble that remark!” Kim hooted. She then raised her hand and made an odd fist with her pointer finger and pinky finger sticking up, and bellowed, “Red heads rock, girlfriend!” The red hair wasn’t all she had in common with Maire, her figure was also at that not thin but not terribly over weight stage. Her pale and freckled face reminded Maire of Michael to a small extent. .

Maire smiled shyly at her.

“See, she’s loud and obnoxious,” Allison teased shaking her head. “Anyway, she’s been practicing about seven years.”


“And our last two members are our newest additions, Harmony and Summer,” Allison motioned to two teenagers seated in the last of the white chairs. “They’ve actually been raised Wiccan by their mother, but preferred the coven lifestyle over the solitary ways of their mother. Harmony is nineteen and Summer is seventeen, but they have a wealth of understanding and talent that some of us still have yet to achieve.”

“You flatter us too much,” Summer insisted with her white painted lips as she downplayed her embarrassment. “We’re still learning, and the coven has been very encouraging and accepting of us.” Her hair was cotton candy pink and hung straight to her shoulders. Her nose was pierced with a diamond stud in the right nostril, and her finger nails matched her hair.

Where Summer was very bright, Harmony was the traditional dark goth type. Her hair was straight and past her shoulders, and had been dyed raven black. Her face was pale and she wore dark makeup to match her hair. When she spoke, it was with crimson lips, “Yeah, you would think with the age difference that they would treat us like kids, but they don’t. You’re in good hands, Maire, you won’t find a more caring bunch of people anywhere.”

Allison gave Maire a squeeze and rubbed her upper arm as she spoke to her, “So you see, we have all been at this for a long time. We know what we’re doing, and we won’t conjure up a demon or anything nasty to hurt you. No black magic or anything evil…I promise.”

Maire tried her best to look confident, but the best she could manage was a small smirk.

“Maire, sweetie, is there anything you want to ask about what we are about to do? I want to try to make you as comfortable as possible,” Jenny spoke up.

Maire looked at Touya and he took her hand in support. Then giving her attention to Jenny she said, “Do I have to believe in any of this? I’m concerned with how this might go against certain teachings of the Church. I mean, I don’t want to offend any of you. I don’t have a problem with your faith. I want to encourage your peace and happiness, but I’m afraid of what this might do to my relationship with my God.”

“I think we all understand this, and I don’t believe that any one of us holds anything against you.” The Elder stopped to look around the room and received gestures of agreement from all involved. “I do think this can help you, though. It’s like your faith in a way. You believe that your god loves all of us, regardless of whether we believe in him or not, correct?”

“Yes,” Maire agreed.

“We believe the same as you. The spirits will do what they will. The casting would have a greater affect if you did believe, but it’s not necessary. There’s enough of us that do believe that the casting should hold. Does that help?”

“I think so,” Maire answered feeling a less nervous.

Jenny stood up and put her hands together. “Alright gang, let’s get things going! You all know what to do. Allison, why don’t you help everyone get things ready and I’ll explain to Maire what we’ll be doing.”

Allison gave her friend another good squeeze and followed the rest of the coven through the back of the house. Touya remained by Maire’s side with his hand still firmly around hers as Jenny came towards them. “Ok, sweetheart, this is how everything is going to go down. We’ll all be in a circle around you. I’ll step into that circle with a goblet in my hand, and that goblet will be filled with wine. I’ll dip my finger into the goblet and place a few drops of wine on your forehead, and then you’ll hear me call on the Goddess to guide and protect us during the rest of the casting. This is just a precaution to make sure that no evil seeps in. Then I’ll step out of the circle and we will start chanting the words that Allison has already given you. When we’re done, you’ll hear a bell, and I’ll thank the Goddess for her protection. Then were done.”

“I guess that doesn’t sound too scary,” Maire said.

“There is one more thing. Some people find this one detail a little awkward. We’ll be skyclad.”

Maire looked confused; while Touya cleared he’s throat and prepared for her to run. “I don’t know what that means,” she decided to admit.

“It means we’ll be nude; clad only by the sky.”

For a moment Maire looked like a deer caught in headlights. Then, as Touya expected, she turned to bolt. He caught her with one arm and held her in place as he asked, “You will be nude, not her, correct?”

“Oh, of course, us! Maire, sweetie, you don’t have to take off a single thing,” the Wiccan replied with embarrassment.

“I don’t?” Maire asked meekly.

“No, no, we’d never ask that from an outsider.”

Maire still did not seem at ease, which was evident to everyone involved.

“Can I explain, baby?” Touya asked softly.

Maire backed up and took her weight off his arm. She let him pull her back against his body. “If you want to,” her voice was low.

As he started to explain, he placed his hands on her shoulders and began to gently rub. “She has issues with the body and sex, because she was abused as a child. It’s difficult for her to trust people enough to be comfortable about nudity, I think.”

Maire closed her eyes and nodded in affirmation.

“You poor thing, I’m so sorry,” Jenny whispered and reached out to touch Maire’s arm. Maire opened her eyes and looked at the woman standing before her. “I can only give you my word that no one here would ever harm you in that way. When we are skyclad we are trying to be as natural as possible. It’s a way of being close to the earth and nature. We don’t do sex magic, so there’s nothing about it that’s sexual for this group. It’s like being in a doctor’s office. We know we are naked and we know why…there isn’t anything physical about it.”

There was something about the Elder that seemed so nurturing and sincere to Maire that she nodded her head and said, “Ok, I trust you.”

“So you’re ready to do this?” Jenny asked gently.

“I think so, but can Touya come in the circle with me?”

Touya and Jenny exchanged glances, which ended in Jenny answering, “You know what, that might not be a bad idea. I’ll just do the ritual for you both.” She was nodding her head, pleased with the idea.

Jenny led them out of the house and into the backyard before Maire could change her mind. The yard was illuminated by four fancy light posts, which had winged gargoyles holding each lamp, and were placed in each corner of the yard. About three quarters of the way into the yard stood a small stone table, and a few feet away from it was large round slab of stone. The coven was scattered loosely around the table and slab, waiting for their guests to join them. As they grow closer to the slab, Touya recognized the markings on the stone as a magic circle, but to Maire it was a large five pointed star with scary writing around it.

The Elder called out to Allison, who was standing next to the alter table, “Is everything ready?”

“It’s good to go,” she responded with enthusiasm. Then she noticed how timid Maire was acting, and headed towards them. “Hun, are you alright?” She asked throwing one arm around Maire’s shoulder and pushing the other arm between Maire’s body and Touya’s, so she could hug her friend.

Maire hugged her back with her free arm, but refused to let go of Touya’s waist. “I’m just a bit nervous,” she replied with a voice only slightly louder than the one she used in the house.

“She’s upset about the nudity, and the magic circle is giving her the creeps,” Touya explained.

Allison let go of Maire and stepped back to take another look at her. She didn’t like that Maire was so uneasy about everything, and she was tempted to tell Maire that she could just go home.

“She mentioned the nudity, but how do you know she’s creeped out over the circle?” Jenny asked, somewhat confused, because they had both been quietly by her side since leaving the house.

“I know her really well,” Touya replied as he looked at Allison, who knew exactly how he came into the knowledge of her friend’s thoughts.

Allison turned her attention from Touya back to Maire and said, “Maire, I’d never do anything that would harm you…you know that don’t you?”

“I know,” Maire answered, trying to add more volume to her voice. “I’m just a bit intimidated by all this. I agreed to do it, so I will…but I can’t make myself be totally ok with all of it.”

“I understand. Thanks for trying to ease my mind, and going along with this. If you really feel like you can’t do this, M, I’ll forgive you. You can leave right now and I’ll hold nothing against you,” Allison assured her.

“Thanks for giving me a way out, but I’ve already given you my promise. I just think we should do this before I have more time to think about it.”

“Alright, let’s do it, girlfriend,” Jenny said to Allison as she directed Touya to move Maire towards the slab.

The rest of the group took their places around the outside of the slab as they saw the approach of the couple; leaving a small opening in their circular formation for Allison and Jenny to stand in, as well as a way for the couple to enter the circle. With his hand firmly attached to Maire’s, Touya stepped onto the stone first and had to stop moving when Maire hesitated. The moment she stepped up to the stone slab, she felt a chill run up and down her body. There was something unnatural about the circular object, and she could feel it.

“Baby, I know what it looks like to you, but believe me when I tell you that it’s nothing like what you are imagining,” Touya bent close and whispered a few inches from her face.

He slowly backed up onto the stone surface, and this time she followed. Once they reached the center, she opened his coat and slipped her hands inside to wrap her arms around him. He closed the coat over her back and held her gently in place. He was more than content to let her hide there as long as she needed too. But even tucked in against his body, she couldn’t ignore the strange unnaturalness all around her. It was making the hair on her arms stand up on end, and her stomach was alive with butterflies.

“Maire, we’re going to begin now,” Allison whispered as she took her place in the circle around the stone.

Maire closed her eyes and buried her face into Touya’s chest the best she could and still be able to breathe. She heard a bell ring and Jenny was saying something that was too far away for her to hear. Then after a few moments Jenny sounded like she was very close by.

“Baby, you need to turn around now,” Touya whispered into her red curls.

Maire turned, and Jenny was standing before her with the goblet; just as she had explained in the house. What she was saying didn’t make sense in Maire’s mind, and only when the wine from Jenny’s finger tips touched her forehead, was Maire able to focus on what was happening around her. She smelled irises, and turned to scan the yard around her as Jenny continued speaking. Finally her eyes landed on what they sought; perched on a piece of fence behind the table was the smiling angel.

Touya closed his coat around her again, and whispered into her ear, “I smell irises. She’s here isn’t she?”

Maire only nodded her head ever so slowly as he continued staring in the angel’s direction.

“Is this a good thing or a bad thing?” He inquired further.

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Well, does she look angry? If all hell is about to break loose I want to know.”

Iris’ face was as pleasant as ever. Maire couldn’t see any reason to be alarmed, so she shook her head in reply. She snuggled in closer against his body, but never took her eyes off Iris.

Touya lowered his face into Maire’s red curls and closed his eyes. He tried to focus on the scent of her lavender shampoo, and forget that they could be smited at any moment. The wind picked up, and the voices around them grew louder. He pulled her tighter against him. He wandered if his love for Maire would cause the angel to hesitate in destroying him.

Maire watched Iris carefully as the chanting continued. With the exception of the expression on the angel’s face and Touya’s arms holding her tightly, she was oblivious to everything around her. She waited of the angel’s smile to turn into something more frightening, but it remained the same cheerful expression as when she first appeared.

“Really, girly girl, you’ve got to relax! Like the Big Guy would ever send me to hurt you,” Iris finally giggled.

Maire frantically looked around her, and then looked back at Iris with eyes wide. Touya knew something was wrong by the way she was acting. Closing his eyes tighter, he buried his face in the hair at her neck.

“Oh calm down, I’m not here to hurt them either,” Iris commented flippantly and waved her hand. “You can be so over dramatic. And I know you can’t really chat right now, so don’t worry about that either. I’m just hanging out to make sure everything goes well.”

Maire’s body relaxed, and the hands that had been curled into fist at her sides unclenched and began to caress the sides of Touya’s thighs. Touya let out a breath and she felt him relax against her. He kissed her neck and whispered, “Thank you, I needed you to do that.”

“Now mind the hands, I can see that! My, my, you two are in the touchy feely stage, aren’t you?” Iris teased with a giggle snort.

Maire’s hand flow back to her sides, and Touya instantly tensed up. “What, what just happened?” He asked as Maire’s face turned beet red.

“She just told me she could see what I was doing under your coat. It embarrassed me,” she whispered back.

“Is she mad? Should we not be touching?” He asked, yet he was hell bent on keeping his arms around her.

Iris had stopped laughing and was now rolling her eyes, because she had heard Touya’s question. “All’s fine,” Iris chirped and waved her hand. “Tell lover boy that I’m just playing. My hands would be all over him too, if I were you.”

Maire sighed and shook her head.

“What?” Touya asked, sounding agitated.

“She’s just being annoying, as always. Touching’s fine,” Maire answered grumpily just before the bell sounded and brought her attention back to what was going on around her. Jenny had moved away from the circle and was just returning. She began to thank her Goddess for her aid, and Maire looked back at Iris to see the angel give a small wave of the hand and disappear.

The circle was breaking up and the coven members were re-donning their capes. Both Jenny and Allison approached the couple, who hadn’t moved from their place in the stone circle.

“Well, dear, you did it,” Allison cheered as she and Jenny stopped in front of Maire.

Maire nodded and gave a slight smile as Touya kissed her hair.

“Your angel was here, wasn’t she?” Jenny asked with a soft smile.

“Yeah, did you see her?” Maire asked surprised.

“I didn’t see her, but I felt her at my back the entire time. She carried a very soothing and peaceful energy about her,” the Elder explained.

“I wish she could have sent some of that soothing and peaceful energy our way. I though she was here to be the end of us all,” Touya grumbled.

Jenny looked surprised for a moment, and then said, “Perhaps you’re not ready to experience her gifts. I’ve noticed a lot of dark energies surrounding you, Touya. Negative emotions and inner conflicts can keep you from feeling the more positive energies around you; regardless of how strong those energies may be. If you’d like to join us, the coven gets together once a month for a spiritual workshop. We do cleansings, massage and reflexology to restore the body, soul and mind to their natural harmony. We could help you get rid of those negative energies that cling to you.”

“Thanks for the offer, but I think it’ll take a whole lot more than what you’re offering to restore any type of harmony to my mind, body and soul,” Touya stated politely.
Sign up to rate and review this story