Categories > Original > Romance

Inhospitable Lodgings 2

by SweetSarmoti 0 reviews

The morning after Addy and Kyle check into the worst cheap motel yet she has another nightmare.

Category: Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Warnings: [Y] - Published: 2009-07-17 - Updated: 2009-07-18 - 2622 words - Complete

0Unrated
Title: Inhospitable Lodgings (Part 2)
Author: Allison Wonderland
Rating: PG-13
Summary: The morning after Addy and Kyle check into the worst cheap motel yet she has a nightmare.
Warning(s): Mild angst, hurt/comfort, incest, language, m/m, minor involved (Addy is 14 in this one), original characters, transgender issues, yaoi
Series: Feel That Fire
Word Count: ~2,500
Status: This is part two of a two part story within a series and is finished. Part one is not.
Note(s): Part one coming sometime. Also, look for an update on my timeline.

~*~

It was just after dawn, an hour Kyle normally never saw, but he wanted to keep his promise to Addy and get her out of the shit hole motel they had stopped in last night as soon as possible. Well, there was that and she had been so restless he had simply given in and gone to take a shower after she had kicked him for the sixth or seventh time. Still, the last thing he expected when he came out of the closet sized bathroom - already dressed and still rubbing his recently cut hair dry – was Addy. She was curled up in the middle of the bed with her thumb in her mouth. That by itself was not unusual. What was unusual was that she was awake, or at least he thought she might be because with her face buried in the dirty tee shirt he had tossed on the bed on his way to the shower it was hard to tell.

Kyle tossed his towel in the general direction of the bathroom doorway behind him. Since they had left home just over a month ago he had done his best never to leave Addy alone for more than a few moments, not even while he was in the shower (that time she had stolen his truck and gone to Taco Bell while he had been in the shower still made him want to take his belt to her ass every time he thought of it) because she had a way of getting into trouble. Leaving her alone while she was asleep was particularly troubling because Addy – formerly Addison – had had nightmares ever since the night their father had died and, although she had always had a bed-wetting problem, it was particularly bad when she had a nightmare. He carefully sat down next to Addy, trying not to jar her even if she was awake. The worn out old mattress dipped anyway and sent her rolling practically into his lap. Her only movement was to tighten her grip on his old tee shirt. Okay, so ya ain’t awake, he thought. “Hey, Sweetheart.” Kyle carded his fingers through her slightly longer than chin length hair, pushing it back from her face, then ran his hand down her spine and back up again. Sometimes when she was having a nightmare if he spoke to her or touched her it would stop without Addy ever having woken up.

Addy just whimpered and pressed her face harder into Kyle’s discarded tee shirt. “Shit,” he said softly. It didn’t seem as if she were having a nightmare, at least not the usual one that made her scream for her daddy. Maybe things wouldn’t be so bad tonight or this morning or whatever the hell it was when the sun was barely up. Things went easier when he held her anyway, so without protesting because it was quickly becoming routine, Kyle stood up and took off the jeans he had just put on only a few minutes ago. Addy’s skin was too damn sensitive and he didn’t want her bare legs rubbing against the rough denim of his almost new from the salvation army store jeans. Then he walked around to the opposite side of the bed where he stretched out on his side and pulled Addy back to lie in the center of the bed with him. Addy whimpered again so he wrapped himself around her, the same way they always slept: Kyle lying on his left side with his left arm stretched out to pillow Addy’s head, his right arm holding her so tightly he was often afraid of hurting her, and their legs tangled up together. “Hey, Sweetheart,” he said again, gently sliding his dirty tee shirt out of her hand.

Addy’s whole body jerked and her fingers flexed.

Kyle dragged her almost new one of the few things they had that hadn’t come from the salvation army store elephant named Benny across the bed and wrapped her fingers around its trunk. He would have preferred her doll because most of the time the damned elephant’s trunk ended up in her mouth but he had no idea where it was though he suspected it was still in the truck. “Addy,” Kyle said softly. “Ya gotta wake up for me. It’s just another bad dream.” He hoped. If it was a bad dream he knew how to deal with it. If it was something else…well, he’d deal with that too, just maybe not as well.

Addy’s eyelids fluttered but she showed no other signs of waking up.

He gave her a gentle shake. “C’mon. Wake up. I gotcha. I ain’t gonna let nothin’ getcha and I ain’t gonna leave ya or whatever you’re afraid of.” Kyle had no idea what her usual nightmares, the ones that never failed to frighten her so much she wet the bed and had her waking up screaming for her daddy, were about because she refused to talk about them later but he knew sometimes she dreamed about something chasing her or that one day he would leave her for a ‘real girl’. Of course that would never happen but it didn’t stop her nightmares.

She whimpered again and one little bare foot connected almost painfully with Kyle’s shin as she squirmed against him, trying to get away from his tight hold on her.

That only prompted Kyle to hold her more tightly. “Shh,” he whispered. “Ya gotta calm down for me, baby girl. Shh.”

Addy sobbed in her sleep.

Kyle froze. He was fine with the bed wetting and having Addy scream for their daddy but he hated when she cried because she did it so rarely he was never sure what to do with her. “Shh,” he murmured one last time and began to sing softly.

Hushaby, don’t you cry
Go to sleep my little baby
When you wake you shall have
All the pretty little ponies.

In your bed Daddy said
Baby’s riding off to dream land
One by one they’ve begun
Dance and prance for little baby

Blacks and bays
Dapples and greys
Running in the night
When you wake you shall have
All the pretty little ponies.

Can you see the little ponies
Dance before your eyes
All the pretty little ponies
Will be there when you arise

Can you see the little ponies
Dance before your eyes
All the pretty little ponies
Will be there when you arise

Hushabye, don’t you cry
Go to sleep my little baby
When you wake you shall have
All the little ponies
All the pretty little ponies.

Their daddy had always sung the ‘pretty pony song’ to Addy – Addison back then – when she – he – couldn’t sleep or was upset about something. By the end of the song – even if it took four or five times through – she had always been calm enough to fall asleep. Of course Daddy had always rocked her and so had Kyle after Daddy had died but sometimes singing to her was enough. As Kyle finished the last line of the ‘pretty pony song’ and before he could start it a second time around – because it always took more than once to work – Addy rubbed her face against Kyle’s arm beneath her head and rolled over onto her stomach. Kyle was quiet for a moment then, “Addy?” he asked.

“Kyle?” The single word was mumbled around the thumb in her mouth but at least the elephant’s trunk had not made it there yet.

“That’s right, baby girl.” Kyle slipped his hand beneath her tee shirt and began to rub her back. “It was just a nightmare. You’re safe now.”

Addy made another of those little whimpering sounds and turned onto her side. She pressed her face against her brother’s chest and wrapped her arms around his neck. Her little fingers dug into his skin and he was sure he was going to have little purple half moon marks there later on. “Hold me,” she whispered around the thumb in her mouth.

Despite their close proximity he could barely hear her. Kyle squeezed her tightly with his left arm and gently stroked her hair and then her back with his right hand. There were times when he was afraid of hurting her because she was so tiny but when she was frightened squeezing her too tightly took a back burner to making her feel better. “It’s all right, baby girl. It’s all right. Ain’t nothin’ gonna hurt ya.”

Addy sniffled against his chest but she wasn’t crying; despite the nightmares that often had her waking up screaming, soaked with both sweat and urine, she rarely cried. She pulled back from her boyfriend far enough to look up at him. “You promise?” she asked. “You’ll take care of me?”

“Of course I’ll take care of you.” He had been since she was ten years old and he was just turned fifteen and their father had died. Just before Mr. LaVigne’s death when he had known he would not be returning home from the hospital he had extracted a promise from his oldest son: Kyle would look after Addison and take care of his younger brother no matter what might happen. In return his father had given him his old leather jacket and the keys to the big black pickup truck that had only been a few months old at that point. “I’ll always take care of you,” Kyle promised.

Addy took a deep shuddering breath. She seemed much more calm than she had a few minutes ago. Drawing the back of her hand across her eyes to wipe away the few tears that had leaked out, she stretched up and pressed her lips to Kyle’s. Her aim was as bad as ever and she only caught the corner of his mouth.

Kyle moved his hand from where he had been rubbing her back to cup her chin in his hand. He lifted her chin, lowered his head, and pressed his lips to Addy’s again, his aim a million times better than hers had ever been or ever would be. Addy’s mouth opened beneath his and his tongue dipped inside. He felt her tongue flick against his own as her hands curled into fists in his tee shirt.

“You left me,” she breathed into Kyle’s mouth when he pulled back for air. Addy could handle the other dreams. The ones about her daddy were bad because she could never find him no matter how fast she ran and she always woke up wet after that one. But waking up wet wasn’t that bad; she was getting used to it. It was the dream about Kyle leaving her that was the worst. Her brother was her whole world. Her life revolved around him and if he ever left her she was sure she would die.

“Is that all it was?” Kyle’s hand returned to rubbing her back. “Ya know I ain’t gonna leave ya.”

Addy nodded. “We had a fight first.”

“About what?”

She sniffled. “I don’t remember.” She did remember. They had been fighting about Addy not being a ‘real girl.’ “It was scary.”

“And then what?” he asked. “What happened next?” It always helped when she talked about her nightmares but it was rare that Kyle could get her to do more than cling to him while he got her washed up and back in bed. Thank god there would not be any washing up to do tonight. Or this morning. Or whatever.

“I…I don’t know. I don’t remember.”

From the tone of her voice he thought she did remember but he decided to drop it anyway since she so obviously did not want to talk about it. “It’s gonna be all right, baby girl,” he told her instead of insisting she tell him the rest of her nightmare. “I ain’t gonna leave ya.”

“You’ll take care of me,” Addy said in that whispery little voice that always made him want to do just that because she sounded so frightened and vulnerable.

“I’ll always take care of ya,” he echoed. “I promised Daddy I would, remember? For as long as ya need me.” And if the past few months were anything to go by that would be for a long time. Besides, Kyle thought maybe he needed her as much as she needed him. Taking care of Addy gave him a purpose.

“You promise?”

“I promise.” Addy rubbed her eyes with the hand attached to the thumb that had been in her mouth a few minutes ago. Then her thumb went back into her mouth. Kyle smiled. She only ever sucked her thumb if she was tired or upset and she didn’t appear to be upset anymore. “Ya sleepy?” he asked.

She nodded, rubbing her face against his tee shirt.

“Good girl.” Kyle brushed her hair out of her face yet again and kissed her forehead. “Ya think ya can sleep now?” Realistically, if she couldn’t sleep it was late enough that she could get up and they could get an early start to wherever they were going. But Addy had been exhausted the night before when they had finally found a place to stop for the night and Kyle thought she still looked tired. He could probably go back to sleep too, as long as he could hold her down so she wouldn’t start kicking again.

“Maybe. Don’t leave me. You’ll hold me, right?”

“As long as you need me too.”

Addy spent a moment wriggling around into a comfortable position. She relaxed against her brother and her eyes slipped shut. But a moment later she was sitting up in bed again. “Kyle! Where’s Chrissy?”

Kyle had been slowly falling asleep again. “In the truck.” He hoped. He reached over her to pick up the elephant she had let go of earlier. “Here. Take this. Put your thumb back in your mouth, lay down, and go to sleep.”

“His name is Benny,” she informed her boyfriend as she took her toy from him and snuggled close again. She made herself comfortable, thumb and Benny’s trunk in her mouth.

“Thought I told ya to keep that out of there.” Kyle gently pulled the elephant’s trunk out of her mouth.

Addy pouted. “Mean Kyle.”

“Yes, I am.” He started to rub her back again and immediately she began to relax. “Good girl. Go to sleep.”

“You’ll stay? Hold me?”

“Long as ya want.”

Addy mumbled something around her thumb and the part of her toy that had somehow ended up back in her mouth. This time Kyle did not try to pry it away from her. Instead he simply continued rubbing her back until he heard her breathing even out and knew she was asleep. Not long after that he drifted off again as well.
Sign up to rate and review this story