Categories > Original > Drama

Chores

by SweetSarmoti 0 reviews

Addy's domestic side comes out and Kyle comes back to their motel with some bad news. Part of my Feel That Fire series.

Category: Drama - Rating: G - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Published: 2009-07-17 - Updated: 2009-07-18 - 926 words - Complete

0Unrated
Title: Chores

Author: Allison Wonderland

Rating: PG-13

Summary: Addy’s domestic side comes out.

Warning(s): Mentions incest and sex with a minor, homosexuality, language, transsexual issues.

Disclaimer: Mine.

Word Count: ~900

Note(s):

~*~

She walks on her toes most of the time when she is Addy, Kyle’s girlfriend rather than Addison, Kyle’s brother. Lately she spends most of her time as Addy. She is light and graceful and sometimes Kyle tells her she is going to float away if she is not careful. Clad in her favorite sundress – the white one with the cherries on it – and fresh from the shower she dances out of the bathroom and into the bedroom. Only this time she is not so graceful and promptly trips over one of Kyle’s sneakers. It is no wonder. They are big sneakers and should not be left lying out like that. She tosses Kyle’s sneakers in the direction of under the bed as she casually glances around the room wondering where her own shoes are and –

Oh, holy shit, she things, her mouth hanging open. They have been living here, in this particular motel room, for just over a week now. It is the first time they have stayed in one place longer than two days but Kyle has assured her that North Carolina is far enough away from Louisiana that no one will have heard of them here even if their parents have made their disappearance public. It has been eight, maybe ten, days and in that time their room has begun to look like Kyle’s room did when they still lived in Meyersville with their parents. There are two pizza boxes on the small table, one of which Addy is pretty sure still has pizza in it. The pizza boxes are surrounded by several of Kyle’s beer bottles and one of Addy’s Coke cans as well as more than a few mostly empty plastic water bottles. Her boyfriend’s teeshirts and jeans are flung all over – on the chairs, the bed, the dresser, and all over the floor – which is to be expected because Kyle is not a neat person but it is not entirely Kyle’s fault because he does not – at least not that Addy knows about – wear cute little skirts and peasant blouses and junior girls’ size four jeans. Those are all Addy’s and she is not quite sure how they came to be scattered all over but she is sure that they are dirty. In fact, the dress she has on may very well be her last clean one.

Addy scrambles up off of the floor. That means laundry and laundry means gathering up all of their clothes and sorting them into piles called Kyle’s, Addy’s, lights, darks, whites, jeans, and delicates. Laundry is her favorite chore and always has been, even back when she was Addison and doing it in the basement laundry room at her parents’ house in Meyersville, two hours north of New Orleans. If she starts now she might be finished or at least partly finished by the time Kyle gets back from wherever it is he has gone. Addy hopes he has gone out to find breakfast for them because she is starving.

She starts gathering up clothes but has not yet had time to sort them into the Kyle and Addy piles – she never washes their clothes together because Kyle’s get so disgusting – when the door opens and Kyle flies in, slamming it shut behind him. “Kyle,” she begins, “what-“

“Start packing, Addy,” he orders. “Get your shit together. We’re leaving.” Then Kyle himself frantically starts shoving everything within reach into the closest bag, dirty clothes with clean clothes, Addy’s delicate underthings with Kyle’s jeans.

“But I thought-“

“Now, Addison!”

He has not called her that in weeks. “But we were going to stay,” Addy protests weakly. “Why…” she thinks she might cry.

Apparently Kyle thinks so too. “We gotta go, Addy,” he says more gently. “We’re plastered all over the goddamn newspaper!” The local newspaper – delivered to their room every morning but seldom looked at – is lying on the rumpled bed. Kyle unfolds it, flips to the back page, and thrusts it into her hands.

And there they are in one of those ‘Have You Seen This Child’ flyers printed on the back page. Addy is the child in question and beneath the photo of him back when she was still he is a photo of Kyle. She scans the flyer and gasps when her eyes fall on one word:

ABDUCTED.

“Oh my god, Kyle,” she says, “they think-“

“That I fuckin’ kidnapped ya!” He zips the first bag and grabs another one. “I walked into the diner to get us some breakfast and there we were starin’ back at me from every newspaper. And then this guy looks up at me and I swear to God, Addy, he knew it was me on that paper!”

The newspaper falls from Addy’s hands and she scoops up the pile of clothes she had been sorting and dumps them in one of their bags. Then minutes later the tires of Kyle’s old black pickup truck hurl parking lot gravel in their wake as Addy and Kyle set off again, leaving no sign that they have ever been there at all.

And Addy wonders if they will ever find somewhere they are safely anonymous, somewhere she can be herself without the ghost of Addison haunting her.
Sign up to rate and review this story