Categories > Books > Harry Potter > Harry Potter and The Power of The Coven

Of Introductions

by alternatepersona27 0 reviews

Rolling candied Pineapples dance for Slughorn...

Category: Harry Potter - Rating: G - Genres: Drama - Characters: Dumbledore,Flitwick,Lucius,Professor McGonagall,Snape - Warnings: [?] - Published: 2009-08-03 - Updated: 2009-08-04 - 3295 words

0Original
I need reviews to survive. I can no longer subsist off the addiction of one reader!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!

Shorter chapter. Sorry, but it had to be cut off here.
So now on with the chappie…

Last Chapter…

Emerging back into the hall, they were greeted by the rest of the Coven. After a quick peek into the Coven magic room, which was exactly as Dumbledore had described it, they returned to the Common Room.

“I believe it is time to grace our most esteemed headmaster with our presence.”

Ekantika spoke in an imitation of the lilting accents of the overly educated English aristocrat. The others bowed their heads to her and grinned.

Chapter 4 – Of Introductions

Twenty minutes later found the Coven, dressed in their black ritual robes, standing outside Dumbledore’s office. All five had small grins of triumph on their lips, as they had only gotten lost once. The gargoyle sat frozen outside the entrance to the moving stairway. Ariadne smiled and chuckled.

“Watermelon Sherbet.”

The stone creature sprang to life and moved aside for them. They rode the stairway to the top and were faced with a dilemma. There were soft voices coming from inside the office. One sounded as if it was the headmaster’s, but they could not identify the other. It was low and rich. So low, however, that they were unable to clearly make out what it was saying. The girls stood awkwardly in the hall for several minutes, until there was a resounding “What?!?” and the door to the office slowly opened.

Dumbledore smiled at them and stood. Before his desk, a tall, thin man dressed all in black stood with his fists planted on the wooden surface. He was leaning forward and his body was tense. When the headmaster spoke, the man turned, revealing to them a pale face, partially hidden by long black hair. He had slightly over-large, aristocratic nose, thin lips, and sharp cheekbones. His whole persona was one of an icy disposition. His eyes, however, burned black, boring onto the girls. Olympia flicked a glance at Ariadne, who seemed captivated by the enraged stranger.

“These are the girls from whom I received the excellent advice which I acted upon just now, Severus. Girls, may in introduce to you Professor and Potion’s Master Severus Snape. Severus, This is the Summer Coven. They will all be teaching here when the new term starts. This is High Priestess Ariadne Aureus, Mistress Dueler and Mistress of the Dark Arts.”

The headmaster gestured to the blonde, who stepped forward.

“Very pleased to meet you, Master Snape. I have heard much of your skills. These are my sisters,” She smiled predatorily at him and gestured to each girl in turn. When they were introduced, each nodded to the pale man. “Olympia Ourania, Mistress Dueler and Mistress of Ancient Runes. Aurelia Isha, Potion’s Mistress and Herbologist. Ekantika Yaja, Charms and Arithmancy Apprentice and Mistress of Magical Dance. And last but certainly not least, Isoko Haruki, Doctor of Philosophical and Magical History and Mistress Archer.”

As Ariadne spoke, Snape turned slowly from anger to shock. He turned fully and stepped up to Ariadne.

“The pleasure is mine, I’m sure, Lady Aureus.”

He shook her hand and nodded to the girls behind her. Without the door to muffle his voice, it sound even richer then it had earlier. The sound of his words caressed Ariadne’s ears and seemed to slide over her skin. It was a silky baritone, with a hint of sibilance to it.

“It is unusual to see a single group made up of so many accomplished women.” He commented, surveying the group with a slight tilt of his lips that may have been a smile.

Ariadne’s own smile turned genuine. “Please, call me Ariadne. And I thank you, Master Snape, for recognizing my sisters for their accomplishments. It is my understanding that not many women in Great Britain achieve their mastery in any subject. Such a thing is beyond my comprehension.”

“If I am to call you Ariadne then you must call me Severus. And Yes. That is indeed true. Females here tend to stay in the home, something which is only now beginning to change. I know it is a dear wish of the Headmaster here to assist that change. I am sure that is why he hired you: in order to inspire the female students and prove that women can achieve great things.”

He tilted his head in recognition. Ariadne’s cheeks tinted a light pink and she grinned at him. Olympia, standing behind her, rolled her eyes at Aurelia, who smirked. Ekantika furrowed her brow, no doubt trying to figure out whether he was being serious or not. Isoko was simply not paying attention. Her eyes were on the Headmaster, who was watching the exchange with the twinkle in his eye on full blast. She had a hunch he was planning something in that white head of his.

“Severus, I find that I am very busy just at present. Will you please do me the great service of arranging tours of the castle and grounds for The Summer Coven.”

The tall man turned to the Headmaster, the fire back in his eyes. His nostril’s flared and his lip curled in a sneer.

“Of course, headmaster. My pleasure. I hope, however, that you are aware that this conversation is far from over.”

Snape wrapped the words in scorn and rage and spat them at the old man. His rich voice dripping malice, so low it was almost a whisper. He turned quickly on his heel and left the room, with a quick glance at Ariadne.

“You obviously did not handle that well.”

Isoko snorted at Aurelia’s comment and the five trooped out behind the Potion’s Master. They found him awaiting their descent in the corridor. He no longer looked angry, but his black eyes still glittered.

“If you would allow me a few minutes, I will contact Minerva and Filius to give Mistresses Haruki and Yaja, respectively, tours that would suit their specialties better. With the assistance of one of my colleagues, I will myself tour Mistresses Isha and Ourania, as well as Ariadne.”

“Please, call us all by our first names. All this Mistress crap is to confusing.” Isoko smiled.

“Thank you. As you all must call me Severus. I will return momentarily.”

As soon as he disappeared around the corner, Ariadne turned to face the others.

“He is nowhere near as bad as my aunt made him out to be. Maybe he mellowed with the years.”

Aurelia raised an eyebrow. “Or maybe he likes you and you’re too stupid to notice.”

“Don’t be an idiot.”

Ekantika interrupted the interchange. “Who do you think the colleague is?”

“No idea. But why is a potion’s master and dark arts dabbler giving an Ancient Runes Mistress a tour of Hogwarts?” Olympia looked skeptically at Ariadne.

“Because, Mistress, he is accompanied by someone who specializes in Wizarding culture, but has a mastery in Ancient Runes as well.” Commented a drawling voice behind them.

The girls spun quickly. They were presented with a tall, painfully pale blonde man dressed in all black and emerald velvet, holding a snake-headed cane. Snape stood next to him smirking.

Ariadne raised an eyebrow and let her eyes run over him. Expensively dressed and nearly albino?

“Lucius Malfoy, I surmise.”

The smirk dropped off Snape’s face. The blonde man, however, grinned.

“Indeed. Beautiful and perceptive? What a rare combination.”

The Coven was not impressed.

Aurelia sneered slightly. Ekantika commented, “Snobbish and chauvinistic? What a common combination.”

Somehow the compliment hadn’t sounded so bad to Ariadne, when she would normally have snorted in disgust. She smirked at him. Malfoy’s eyebrows rose. He was clearly impressed with the vehemence of the reaction his simple compliment garnered from Ariadne’s sisters.

Olympia spoke up hurriedly to avoid any further confrontation, introducing everyone to the newcomer. He bowed to them.

“Mistresses, once Minerva and Filius arrive, Lucius and I will be—“

Snape’s statement was cut short by the arrival of an older, severe-looking woman and an exceedingly short man. They both nodded to Severus and completely ignored Malfoy.

“These are our newest colleagues, I presume.” The woman said with a sniff.

“Yes, Professor McGonagall. We are the Summer Coven.” Isoko smiled.

The woman looked taken aback. “Do I know you?”

“No,” Aurelia said with a chuckle. “That’s Isoko, she does things like that sometimes. I believe you are supposed to give her a tour of this castle. I’m Aurelia, by the way.”

The others introduced themselves. The woman blinked owlishly. She then shook herself and smiled at them.

“Welcome to Hogwarts, then. I hope you enjoy it here and,” her eyes flicked to Ariadne. “Remain here for a very long time.”

They thanked her. She and Isoko departed. The small man stepped forward.

“I am Filius Flitwick and I believe I have the pleasure of giving Ekantika a tour. I have been told that you will be taking over teaching my first, second, and third year classes. Correct?”

Ekantika nodded and they fell into conversation as Filius led her off down a different corridor. Snape and Malfoy turned to the remaining three.

“We have the privilege of giving you fine ladies a tour of this most prestigious castle.”

“Yes, Mr. Malfoy, I believe you do.”

Snape smirked at Aurelia’s deliberate snub. Knowing who the pale blonde man was implied that they were aware of his social status. Therefore they should know to address him as Lord Malfoy. However, he could not correct the address without appearing snobbish and elitist. Malfoy tapped the butt of his cane against the floor and his smile stretched thin.

“Please, call me Lucius. Now, shall we begin?”


Reviews = Life…keep me alive, please!




I need reviews to survive. I can no longer subsist off the addiction of one reader!!!!!!!!! PLEASE!!



Shorter chapter. Sorry, but it had to be cut off here.

*So now on with the chappie
Sign up to rate and review this story