Categories > Celebrities > Fall Out Boy > Fall Out Boy Trail

Softly Softly Catchy Monkey

by charliexbrown 3 reviews

I give up with titles. Srsly. The phrase just makes me laugh... Anyway, what on earth could the present be??

Category: Fall Out Boy - Rating: PG - Genres: Angst,Crossover,Humor - Published: 2009-08-19 - Updated: 2009-08-19 - 1200 words - Complete

2Insightful
Golden light poured through the gap in the curtains as Pete awoke the next morning. Being unaccustomed to it after his sleep, he screwed up his eyes and buried himself under the duvet, spreading himself out across the bed… and then he realised. Patrick wasn’t there.

He reluctantly poked his head out from under the covers, but there was no one else to be seen in the room.
‘Patrick…?’
No reply from the bathroom either. So that was that. Even after last night’s semi-reconciliation, things were still going to be uncomfortable and awkward around them.

Pete half-heartedly clambered out of bed and got ready for the day, before hesitating by the curtains. He counted down in his head before opening them…

Three… two… one…

Yanking them open, he had to shield his eyes yet again. It was a beautifully sunny day, and not too hot as they were near the sea in Florida. Obviously yesterday’s storm had been out of the ordinary. But Pete hated strong sunlight, and he sighed heavily as he dropped his hoodie on the bed and started downstairs.

As he reached the lounge, a very different sight from last night met his eyes. The sofas had all been arranged into a much more organised setting, and people were being served coffee and breakfast whilst watching the news on the overhead television. Pete grabbed some coffee and sat down next to Ryland, his eyes swivelling round for Patrick. But he was nowhere to be seen.

And while we’re on the subject… where’s Bill, I wonder?

A quick scan of the lounge informed Pete that Bill wasn’t there either. So they were obviously somewhere together…

AHA! Here they… oh.

William walked calmly into the lounge, ordering a coffee and some toast before joining the group. Alone.
‘Morning, guys.’ Everyone mumbled in response, too tired to answer properly. ‘Oh, hey Pete! Patrick was looking for you, man.’
‘He is?... Where… where’d you see him?’ You devious, friend-robbing…
‘We were doing an interview this morning. About the new record. You must feel so lucky, having that guy to work with every day! He’s a frickin’ genius.’
Pete glared at William’s high praise, but he didn’t seem to notice. He was spreading his toast with strawberry jam and happily munching away, not at all tired.
‘So where can I find this genius, then?’ Pete somehow managed to make it sound friendly, rather than biting and sarcastic.
‘Uh… I dunno. He didn’t say where he was going. Maybe… check your room?’
‘Will do, thanks man.’

Pete was up and out of the lounge as fast as possible. He hated William being so happy and helpful, when he just felt so sour. In fact… he was starting to admit to himself that he really was jealous. And as he grew more and more jealous, it was harder to keep it contained. Pete didn’t even know how to act when he got up to the room. He hesitated outside the door, wondering whether to bound in impatiently or keep a serious, moody face… You don’t even know if he’s in there! Come on, Pete, just go inside!

Patrick opened his eyes and looked up as the door opened, and a sullen Pete came in and perched on the end of the bed. Not looking at Patrick he fingered the sleeves of his hoodie (which Patrick had folded up, being as tidy as he was). Evidently Pete had gone with the moody option.

‘You found me then?’
‘Yep.’
‘…Did Bill tell you where I was?’
‘No. I typed it in the sat nav, Patrick… How else do you think I found you?’
Patrick sat up and crossed his legs. ‘Pete, look, I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have said all that stuff to you last night. I know how you felt. It was insensitive, and–’
‘You don’t get it, do you?’ Pete sighed. ‘I don’t want you to apologise for what you said. I want you to apologise for what you’re doing.’
‘I was just coming on to that.’ Patrick poked him gently with his foot. ‘I realise I’ve been spending a lot of time with Bill. In his defence, he is a really great guy, we have so much in common… alright, don’t roll your eyes like that. But I know I’ve been neglecting you a bit. And I’m really sorry, Pete.’

There was a little silence then. Pete sniffed quietly.

‘Well… aren’t you gonna say anything?’
‘Is that all you have to say?’
‘Oh, Pete. Don’t stay in your grumpy phase. I don’t like grumpy Pete!’
Patrick reached out for a hug, but Pete moved away, looking down at his shoes.
‘Come on. I know you’re smiling under that fringe.’ Pete’s secret smile widened a little.
‘Do I really have to tickle it out of you? Huh?’
Before Pete could respond he felt hands grasping at his sides, making him finally burst into laughter and wriggle away.
‘No! No, Trick! Stop it!’
But Patrick was grinning maliciously, feeling relentless as his fingers scrabbled at Pete’s neck… until he heard himself yelp and felt his feet curling up as Pete’s long nails attacked them.

After what seemed like ages (for whoever was being tickled) they finally managed to break free. Both lay on the bed for a while trying to catch their breath and stop laughing.
‘Alright… we’ll call it quits there, OK? I don’t want my stitches getting knocked.’
Patrick offered his hand, which Pete took and shook graciously, before pulling him into a tight hug.
‘Hey, careful now! My head still hurts a little.’
‘You’re telling me to be careful now? Not while I was tickling you to death?’
‘Yeah, right! I was so winning.’
Pete just grinned and snuggled closer.
‘I know you were all cuddled up to me last night, by the way. I just didn’t wanna wake you this morning. I thought you deserved a bit of sleep.’
‘Well… thanks. I thought you were still mad at me.’
‘I wasn’t mad, I just… needed a bit of space, y’know?’
‘Yeah. It’s cool, I understand. I’ll try and stop being so clingy.’
‘Well, I’ll still need the occasional hug… but it’s a deal.’ Patrick grinned. ‘Besides, you won’t need to hug me much soon.’
Pete looked up, frowning at Patrick’s smug face.
‘What do you mean?’
‘Let’s just say… I might have a little present for you. To say sorry for being such an asshole.’

Patrick pulled out his phone and started texting at that point, all the while smirking at Pete’s questions.

‘Huh? What present? What is it? When am I gonna get it? Is it big or small?... Patrick! Hey, stop texting and answer me!’
‘All will be revealed, my friend!’ He pocketed the phone and got off the bed, crossing to the door.
‘Hey, wait! Where are you going?’
‘To do secret Patrick things!’

And, with a final wink and a chuckle, he was gone.
Sign up to rate and review this story