Categories > Original > Fantasy > A past and a future

A past and a future

by sksnnick 0 reviews

chapter 1

Category: Fantasy - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Fantasy,Romance,Sci-fi - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-09-23 - Updated: 2009-09-26 - 2248 words

0Unrated
chapter 1
A view into the mind


The room remained still even after the length of time he had been awake. As the hours ticked by the colors of the wall just seemed to fade from a royal to a baby blue under the light that seemed to have no source. A metal chair that had long lost its chill you would expect it to have in a room with a chill, but perhaps it wasnt the temperature so much as the feel of the place.

Soft noises that could only be presumed to be talking could be heard through the small cracks of the door to his left that had not opened once to his knowledge since he had been lef there. the noises to soft and too speratic to understand through the distance to understand.

In his mind the same questions played like a broken record, "where am I? How did he get here?" But even as he thought he never once gave in to the temptation to move not even an inch. The training he had recieved was far too much to contemplate, even to himself so giving away any weakness was not a keen idea on his part.

After what could have been nearly a day since he became conscious, a soft click echoed in the room as the door opened. An older woman walking with a cane enterd and placed her cane onto the ground next to her as she placed herself into the seat facing her guest.

"Zah ark ne telimeso na foosh ke himekudala jun baila deci" exited out of the womans mouth, followed by a few moments of heavy breathing.

A space so large not even time could measure the vast depth reverberated as a presence enterd the young mans mind. The woman that had been sitting in front of the boy now floated without any effert began scanning the space around her contemplating her next step at cracking the boys mind.

"you know it isnt nice to enter the minds of others without their consent" echoed out without a place of orgin.

As i had stated" the woman began" i am Jun of the readers sector , i have been assigned to find out what you are and how u exist," she finishe trying not to give away her startle of a mind being able to talk to someone that had invaded.

The voice was silent for a moment before it retuned but this time seemed to come from behind the woman. "Those are simple enough answers but im afraid im not inclined to just hand them over to someone that is willing to attempt to enter my mind"

"I am a reader that has been with this department long before you were born, im afraid i can and will get the answers i seek with or without ur permision," june stated with authority trying not to be amazed that something could manifest itself in their own minds let alone know of her presence in them.

The boy smiled widely as he looked around "I get to have some fun," he said as door after door flooded the space.

For what seemed like eternity and could very well have been, doors of all shapes and sizes appeared in the vast space. When it looked as if no door could fit all the doors around it seemed to make room without getting closer together and a new one would appear.

"What is this trickery" the woman spat with eyes like sauce pans. never in her life has anyone been able to put up any barier let alone one as complex and large as this.

The boys smile softened as he spoke, "Im afraid this is my mind, in this space no one can do as they wish. seeing as how this is your first time in my mind im giving you a chance." He walked over to the woman and grabbed her hand. " there is a door for every day i have lived, an equal number of doors for all the traps i have set and a door for the answers you seek that will allow you to exit. But entil you find that door im afraid you shall be here for a very long time."

"What are the doors that lead to each day you have lived mean?"

"They are the answers you seek but they are not the means you wish to seek them."

"and what of the traps?"

"To make this more enjoyable for us both madam," He said smirking at the last part. For every trap you open you will be killed in one form of manor or another in a way that suits me. Each time you die a day will pass in here but not a minute will have passed in the real world."

Running to the closest door the woman grabbed the handlle, twisted and pulled the door open. her scream was heard and if it wasnt in his own mind mind he would have believed it had escaped into the real world.

"Now madam you should have really listened im willing to make this a fair game" the boy continued as the woman appeared again still screaming in pain that had passed from a moment before.

Regaining herself she backed away from the boy. "stay away from me" slipping from her breath every time she exhaled.

"now madam June, this is no way to act, after all you have enterd my mind not the other way around."

"You are a monster" she screamed out as the boy took a step foreward.

"Actually im nick, thank you so much for hurting my feelings." the boy said putting on a hurt face. "Now back to the game."

"No, u can take your game and shove it. i refuse to play in this."

"as you have noticed you can not leave here but i shall continue anyway. every door you enter i shall remove that door so you will not ebter it again do you understand?"

"what of the clues?" the woman gasped out terrified of what else the creature in front of her is capable of.


"The door you seek will have a golden handle, but as you have noticed many of them do." He said glad that his new friend is now playing along.

"And any other hints?" she continued trying not to loose her mind in the mind of another?

"Im sure you will begin to pick up what doors look like with what they open up to" he stated." If not your going to be here for a very long time."

As the time no matter how irrelivent it was ticked on, and the screams of pain and displeasure became less and less freaquent it was easy to tell that the wrinkled woman was slowly learning the clues in order to go through two, maybe three doors before opening a trap leading into yet another day of attempts.

"Empirers log random date twenty-third March of the barovian year." nick said joking when the woman appeared yet again in front of him.

"What are you getting at now?"

He straitened up and in a voice he was very proud of continued his log as if he had not been interupted. "It has been nearly a year since we entered the void, as of now we have yet to reach our target destination."

Getting annoyed the woman continued with her ranting once again stoping nick from what he thought was a well planned speach. One well worth making another door for.

"Morral is running thin as even the crew of a single elder woman begins to turn on her captain."

"I aint no old lad..."

"I begin to fear for my life at times, it feels as tho if i let my guard down for just a moment my faithfull companion on this journy.."

"If you dont start making since right now ill go right ahead and make you shut it while I continue on picking doors." A pissed off June said walking towrds what nick knew would be a trap.

Making an old victorian pipe and a tan bowler hat appear out of no where nick began to pase back in forth, occasionally glancing at the confused woman that seemed to utterly hate him to no end or so inflactuated with him that her eyes just followed him wherever she went.

"My dear june, what have you learned of me after spending so much time in my mind?"

"One is that your a total nutcase with no commen deciency for anothers life" she spat.

Raising an eye brow a small shudder appeared on the side of his lip before she continued.

"Two, your abilities in your mind are unheard of, almost like a devine being in their own relm of power."

A few seconds passed before nick spoke with now tweeked intrests on what else the woman found out.

"Come on now madam there must be more of me you have found out."

"You are young but have a power outside the mind I have yet to learn of," she continued

"Quite right my insatiable companian of the relm" came the words right from the mouth of a sock puppet that was floating in front of the boy with no obvious sign of being supported by a hand.

"One does begin to wonder, how did you go from someone that seemed to only wish to kill and make my life horrable to one that would be hospitalized for mental dissorder."

The sock puppet turned to look at the boyand they both seemed to wisper together before he looked up and spoke.

"It is not me that has changed but you my fair maden." He said. "I have simply changed your preception of me. when you first entered my mind you were treated as a threat for there are not many to even attempt to do such a thing but when you appeared I lowered my walls for this game."

"You call this a game?" she fumed out trying everything she could do to hold back her anger. "If I ever get out of here ill most likely die, what body could take the shock of all of this?"

"Tut tut tut" sounds exited out of nicks mouth while he wagged his finger. "It is not my fault you have failed to find the proper door after all this time. Besides ide never let you die, I may not let you leave here with a working body but your mind shall in fact be fully opperationial to the standerds of one such as yourself for the remainder of your life."

For the next several days or so it would seem, the woman said not a word to nick as he watched on in wonder. Door after door she opened were only opened for their ease of access before she came upon a wall that seemed to have neither a handle nor cracks to show that it could be opened.

Walking around the door revealed no clues to its workings, and every glance up to her warden in the voide seemed to only frusterate her more.

"Tell me my friend," nick said from on top of an old archway with a gate making it another door. "What is it with that wall that seems to intrest you so much?"

"Leave me alone."

"Ah, arent you getting to be no fun?"

"This has nothing to do with you."

"You are in my mind, looking at my memories so i do believe it has everything to do with me." He said pushing and landing on a level surface that you could make in a floorless space.

As he landed a sharp blow flew across his face as the hand of the womans hand returned to her side. A thin stream of blood trailed from where his lip made contact with one of his teeth.

Slowly he turned to face the old woman, a look in his eye that could make even the once thought blood thirsty Hannibal Lector fear for his life.

"I do believe it is time for you to leave!" He choked out attempting to keep from proving any more harm to the woman.

Walking to the wall nick place his hand upon a smooth stone and pushed causing block after block to dissapear. Grabbing the womans trembling hands he threw her through the opening and once again placed his hand on the block to reform the solid wall.

"My fair maden, if it was you to have asked me to open this door you shall have exited out of this place alive and well but with the strike of hate im afraid your punishment shall be eternal."

Time had not passed a second from when nick had promised the woman, nothing had moved from when she entered his mind entil a trickle of blood seeped out of aged ears.

"Get the doctor!" a woman yelled as she entered the room.

Reaching the womans body only a moment too late to keep her from falling to the ground, a puddle of blood pooled around the head soaking the grey hair.

"Their lay June, a body that had once housed a great mind only to live out the rest of its life hollow," a voice boomed from the boy as his golden eyes layed upon the new woman as if looking into her soul...or her mind.
Sign up to rate and review this story