Categories > Original > Fantasy

Broken

by Cedadidion 1 review

the horric tale of innocence destroyed and a girl forced down a dark path of blood and death.

Category: Fantasy - Rating: R - Genres: Fantasy,Horror,Romance - Warnings: [V] [R] - Published: 2009-10-14 - Updated: 2009-10-14 - 2108 words

1Ambiance
Mira eyes snapped open a gasp escaping from her lips though she couldn’t bring herself to utter the cry that danced at the tip of her tongue. She stared into the darkness of her cramped confines breath hissing through clenched teeth. Rolling onto her side clutching at her head forcing the dream into the recesses of her mind. Eleven year it would not leave her and even the brief respite of sleep was tainted with darkness. She brushed her hair out of her face peeking through the crack in the door hoping the darkness would be still as that in her quarters. Yet the air outside had a soft glow to it the darkness fading to the swiftly rising sun. she let out a yawn rolling into a kneeling position and opened the closet door. so much to do have to start now or ged will be upset she thought to herself then paused to make sure that her keeper was not already awake. But he had been out late last night and would sleep in giving her a chance to have everything ready. She slid out of the closet ignoring the pain in her hip and rose closing the door quietly behind her.

Her bare feet padded across the cold floor as she hurried to the cupboard digging out her apron. Without hesitation she slipped it on tying it frayed tethers behind her back and quickly tied her hair back in a loose knot. Mira immediately went to the stove setting a few logs inside to begin heating the house and water. Ged would need tea with his medicine for the headache that always fallowed drinking. She felt relieved though couldn’t bring a smile to her face. It would be peaceful while she worked and if she did well ged might praise her. He might even let her go into town to get groceries. This time a smile did crease her lips though just barely. The thought of seeing him again brought an uplifting feeling that not even geds praise could match. She had to make sure she could see him if everything was perfect ged would let her out.

Continuing with her chores with greater vigor grabbing the bucket by the door running out to the small well for water ignoring the pinch of the rocks under her feet. Hurrying back she stumbled over the dilapidate step that her keeper had yet to fix just barley managing to keep the bucket from spilling as she skinned her knee. Continuing at a slower safer pace she began warming the water stoking the fire occasionally as she swept the floor and set the table. As it began to lighten slightly outside she placed the broom in the closet kicking her blanket into the corner so it wouldn’t get dirtier and went out to collect eggs and see if the vegetable patch had produced anything yet. The hens where clucking staring blindly at her as it was still too dark for them to see but she never had a problem seeing in the dark.

Out of the three there was only two eggs and mira scowled looking at them with pity. I have to tell ged today that your not laying, she thought angrily as they just stared at her ged says if you don’t lay the only good you are for is food. Why don’t you keep laying? she took the eggs closing their cage door noting that it was in need of repair but it wasn’t for her to worry about, there was breakfast to make and clothes to wash.

Stopping briefly at the garden with a quick survey she knew that nothing had ripened yet though the squash that ged liked showed promise. Walking into the house she made sure to wipe off her feet that had been covered in dew and dirt. She didn’t want to dirty the floor anymore than she had to. The sun had almost completely rose over the horizon and she couldn’t help but pause and watch in awe. Something so beautiful and never faltered. Even when the sky darkened with storm clouds behind them it was there waiting to bless the world with its warmth and light. Something inside her trembled thinking of it and her eyes burned. Raising a hand to them she touched them hesitantly shocked by there wetness and became frightened. why is there water coming from my eyes, she thought hysterically and looked back to the sun as if it would have the answer but it wasn’t there.

Trying not to think of it she buried herself in preparing a light breakfast and ged’s tea that he liked after a night out to help with his pain. After she’d set everything up to cook she gathered the dirty clothes placing them outside next to the wash bucket and preceded to open all the windows to air out the house. The smell of the cooking egg and bread she had left to rise the night before filled the room and her stomach grumbled in protest. quite. I’ve other things to do, she placed the egg on a plate covering it with another to keep it warm and returned outside to wash the clothes.

Though she was thin she had some strength and the chore took little time. She was hanging them when noise from inside the house reached her. Breath catching in her throat she hurried to finish and ran in straight to the stove and pulled out the bread. There was a cough from the other room and she poured the boiling water into a cup placing several pinches of the tea leaves in it ignoring how they seemed to dance and the water darken. Placing the cup on the table she returned to the bread not waiting for it to cool though she knew she should. Cutting it carefully she put the slice on the plate with the egg and put them on the table.

“girl,” came a gruff sleepy voice and she immediately turned to the speaker with her head bowed and eyes averted. Ged staggered from the bedroom with a hand on his head and she moved to his side taking his arm leading him to the table.

“father here’s your tea,” she said pushing it towards him and he took it bobbing his head and winching with pain. Quickly retreating she preceded to slice the bread and busy herself as much as possible while staying quiet. But she was listening to him as he sipped on his tea and seemed to waken some from the sound of his fingers touching the plate and the scrapping of the bread as he picked it up.

“ father would you like some more,” she asked turning slightly to look at the middle aged man nearly slouched over the table. He looked at her brows furrowed then back to his tea.

“no.”

She walked away to the bedroom and set to cleaning it. Emptying the latrine out the back window and making the bed. The coarse sheets clung to each other making it difficult for her to straighten them but she persevered. While fluffing the pillow an odd color caught her attention and she flipped over raising a hand to stifle her gasp. There was still red blood on it and the very sight of it set her skin crawling. Immediately she stripped the case off and hurried through the house to go clean it. As she passed ged grabbed her arm halting her immediately.

“what have you got there.”

“there’s a mark,” she whispered head bowed eyes fleeting from one bare foot to another while he took the casing from her and examined it. He tossed it back at her hitting the side of her head and returned to his tea.

“clean it,” he said drinking slowly and she did as she was told. It took much longer because the red didn’t want to come out but she worked harder than usual. he has the bad cough, she thought to herself filled with dread. Those with the bad cough would die without medicine. She looked at the house taking it in. the sun bleached wood, the uneven rail, shutters hanging on just barely. There wan no way they could afford medicine not with ged unable to find a job. The cruel master before had kicked him out without notice or pay, and no one else would take him in. He went out everyday and mostly through the night looking but never found any; on top of that he always came back sick. they are mean all of them, she thought walking to the line with the casing and hung it up today he’ll find one. She returned to the house pausing in the doorway at the sight of him moving the food around his plate with a fork. Turning his head he looked up at her and she started immediately returning to cleaning.

“girl what have I told you about standing behind me like that?”

“I’m sorry father I‘ll not do it again,” she finished wiping down the counter and
started wrapping the bread in a clean rag. There was the sound of the chair scrapping against the floor and ged let out a sigh. He stared at her for a moment and smiled.

“come here,” she shuffled over as he commanded and he took her hand smile not faltering though she sighed away “ you’re a good girl. This is the way it should be, yes?”

“yes father,” she said rocking slightly feeling like a bird being stared down by a big cat. He reached up patting her head and she smiled for him. Releasing her hand smile vanishing he pointed to his plate.

“what is this?”

“egg and toast. I cooked it the way you like it.”

“egg. Why is there only a egg?” he looked back up at her and she bit her lip.

“the hens left two,” she whispered not looking at him but had she seen it coming or not it wouldn’t have mattered. His hand connected with her face with such force that her teeth bit through her lip and all she could taste was the irony flavor of blood. She collapsed on the floor at his feet as he stood. Her ears ring and the room spinning uncontrollably.

“you’re a lying thief.”

“no father the hens left two the other is in the pantry for bread.” she protested receiving a unmerciful kick to the stomach.

“don’t talk back ungrateful bitch.” he growled wiping the table off with his arm spilling the hot tea on her.

“sorry, I’m sorry father I wont do it again,” she whimpered dragging herself to her feet as he paced the room.

“clean this mess up,” he ordered as he went to the bedroom slamming the door behind him hard enough to shake the walls.

Kneeling down she picked up the shattered plate with a shaking hand while the other held her aching stomach. Breath quivering from her she fought the pain back, but as she whimpered her cut lip burned her whole jaw aching from the blow. She grimaced rocking slowly closing her eyes. I am a good girl I am a good girl, she chanted to herself opening her eyes and placed the broken plate and food stuff on the counter. Ignoring the pain as she rose she retrieved the broom from the closet and began sweeping up the remaining mess though her hands still trembled.

The door to the bedroom opened and ged dressed for town walked calmly over taking her face in his hand staring at her. She trembled not meeting his gaze fingers clutched so tightly to the broom her knuckles were white. He smiled stroking her hair eyes kind once more. He sighed releasing her and stepping over the small pile she’d created. He turned nodding as he grabbed the wrapped bread from the counter before strolling out.

“clean up then I want you to go to town,” he stopped at the doorway and looked back at her as she slowly turned to watch him leave “we need a new hen.”

“yes father,” she said trying not to move her lip.

“a good girl wishes her father a good luck when he leaves.”

“good luck father,” she grimaced in pain but said the words flawlessly and his smile widened.

“and…”

“come home soon.”

“that’s a good girl,” he said with a chuckle as he left.
Sign up to rate and review this story