Categories > TV > House

Unspoken

by itshould_rain 0 reviews

What sort of friend do we look for? *spoilers* for "Sex Kills". A House/Wilson general drabble.

Category: House - Rating: G - Genres: Romance - Characters: Gregory House, James Wilson - Warnings: [!!!] - Published: 2006-04-13 - Updated: 2006-04-14 - 499 words

3Ambiance
Title: Unspoken
Author: Itshould_rain
Rating: All Ages
Pairing: House/Wilson
Spoilers: "Sex Kills"
Summary: What would you want in a friend? A short piece inspired by the above Episode.




Unspoken


Making his way towards the balcony, Dr James Wilson sighed. It was not shaping up to be a good day. He had to inform four patients that they were terminal, and, the shock, horror and disappointment hidden behind their thank you's and smiles did little to make him feel better about the situation.

"Does it occur to you that if you need that kind of a friend, that you may have made some deeper errors."

The phrase kept replaying in his head, and he smiled dryly. He knew House wasn't the type to be up for "let's sit down and talk about our feelings", but dammit, he was having a bad day and he felt entitled to be more demanding and unreasonable than usual.

The frosty relationship that was his marriage didn't help any either, and that was what had spurred the argument in the first place, if you could call it an argument. Gripping the railing with his hands, Wilson stared blankly at the view before him, allowing his mind to wander meaningless, fleeting thoughts.

'That kind of friend'

House's voice replayed in his mind. Exactly what sort of friend did he want right now? A sympathetic ear to his problems? Someone who can empathise with his situation? A friend that would offer advice? House was none of those things, he was well aware, but was that what he wanted?

So engrossed in thought was he, the soft thud of a door carelessly pushed open escaped him, and Wilson continued to stand, leaning against the railing slightly, thoroughly lost in thought.

It was House, standing in the adjacent balcony, looking at Wilson, head slightly tilted. Making his way towards oncologist, he paused, and continued to look over at his friend, not saying a word.

Noticing another presence, Wilson looked across to see House, propped up on the 'wall' separating their balconies, looking at him expectantly. Smirking slightly, he makes his way to said wall, leaning against it, but made no attempt at a conversation, or greeting even.

Two friends sat/stood in silence, neither wanting to talk. House because he didn't know what to say, and Wilson because he didn't know where to begin.

So the silence continued.

As the afternoon warmth begins to dissipate, leaving a bright orange sky, Wilson straightened. Smiling at House, in a mixture of gratitude and amusement, the oncologist made his way back to his office, where he intended to get ready to go home.

House smirked,
"This is the kind of friend you want? That's easy enough."
The last part was said softly, almost lost before it reached Wilson's ears.

Yeah, I guess it is.


Later that evening he would find out about Julie's affair. So it was no surprise when he packed his things, and showed up at House's doorstep.
Sign up to rate and review this story