Categories > Celebrities > My Chemical Romance > A Tethered Angel

A Tethered Angel

by KayJay 1 review

"If I'm dead shouldn't I feel less, I dunno...alive?" Sequel to A Deadly Illusion

Category: My Chemical Romance - Rating: PG-13 - Genres: Angst,Drama,Romance - Characters: Gerard Way,Mikey Way - Warnings: [V] - Published: 2009-12-08 - Updated: 2009-12-08 - 1494 words

1Exciting
Here it is, my sequel to A Deadly Illusion. For awhile after I wrote that, I had been planning on keeping a one shot. And then my muse pushed this into my head and one thing led to another...
Now I changed a key point in DI from when I originally posted it (and this), so before I even begin writing all new chapters I have to fix these three up... If you find something that looks like an error, could you please point it out to me? Thanks much! Enjoy!






Darkness, warmth, and energy. The air around him was alive, pulsing, pushing up against him in the rhythm of a calm heart. It was soft to the touch, and comforting to a mind that would be in
chaos from fear and confusion. He was disoriented, but somehow still subdued. And drifting...yes, he was drifting slowly along. On what, he really didn't know. He felt nothing solid, exactly, except the weird pulsing around him. It was quiet, yet loud at the same time, pressing gently in on his ears as hours seemed to pass in his blissful state of rest.
Pale lids eventually pulled themselves up, revealing drowsy hazel eyes. Pupils dialated and swiveled, trying to take in a surrounding that wasn't exactly there. There was only black, with waves of purple blossoming with each beat of the invisible heart. He lay spread eagled as he drifted, moving as if he were floating on top of a calm ocean. It was peaceful...

Everything was okay...

An odd feeling began to rise up along his back. Suddenly, he was floating on water; very warm
water, indeed. But almost as quickly as it came, he found the water no longer content with carrying him. He sighed as the warm liquid like feeling trickled higher, while his body did not. Up past his waist, engulfing his legs... the water was thick, and it moved slowly; in fact, it now barely seemd to be water at all. He remained calm as it closed over his face and continued to rise above him. He giggled as it playfully swished around him, tickling his stomach and the back of his knees...and he realised he could still breathe. It was an odd sensation, to breathe freely when you just knew that you were under water - or whatever it was that had swallowed him. And he was still drifting, moving ever onward to an uncertain destination.

He began to hum.

It was a lullaby, he guessed, that his grandmother used to sing to his little brother during really
bad storms. He would stand in his younger sibling's doorway, blanket wrapped tightly around his
trembling body, and secretly wish that the kind old lady was singing to him, too. But he would never
admit that- because if he was scared, his brother would be terrified. He would do anything to
protect the younger boy; to keep him happy. He stayed strong...for him.

He - he missed him. Where was he? Where...

Mikey...

"Very good, Gerard."

Gerard's eyes suddenly became focused, his body tense. The movement seemed to startle the mellow atmosphere around him, because as soon as his muscles coiled in surprise, his body was released and left to fall. He landed with jarring force on a semi-soft feather matress. The disturbed feathers drifted angrily in several directions, off to find rest in some other place. Gerard sat up straight and stared all around him, mouth agape at the surreal surroundings and the abruptness of it all. Everything was glowing.

The floor, the walls and the vines crawling along them, the brown and golden leaves scattered around his bed, his skin - his skin?! Gerard gasped as he looked at his hands. A strange ivory glow resonated from beneath the surface. Some buried piece of him became angered with this, roaring out in protest - but another knew that it would never go away. The voice that had yanked him out of his happy rest chuckled, and a warm hand was placed on his shoulder.

"You...get used to it. Your eyes have become sensitive to energy, and you're seeing it in areas you never would have guessed to look before." Gerard looked at the smiling figure with wary eyes. He felt like a pubescent child, being told about the strange changes his body was going through. When he thought about it, the person next to him could very much be a parent.

Her hair was the shade of desert stone. It looked soft and light, and it hung about four inches
below shoulders. She had perfect posture, but at the same time she looked comfortable, not prim. Her warm brown eyes were dented by a friendly smile - her sepia skin wrinkled at the corners of her eyes and mouth, and was beginning to show signs of age on the brim of her nose. They were smiling wrinkles; Gerard couldn't help but smile, because his Grandmother had gotten her worst wrinkles in the same place. He was in the pressence of a kind woman...he could feel it. Apparently, he could see it, too.

She too had a warm glow sitting underneath her skin. It was a merry shade of light gold, and it
reminded him oddly of christmas time. She was like a christmas angel, here to...well, he didn't know
what, exactly. Oddly, the strange woman laughed and cupped his cheek.

"You're dead, Gerard."

Shocked, the poor man sprang up and stumbled backwards. That certainly had been a blunt way of putting it. He began to shake, re-examining himself, feeling out his body, thinking to test out his mind. He didn't feel dead; if anything, he felt healthier and more alive than he ever had
before. But the tugs of despair pulled on his (still beating!) heart; dark memories of what got him
there, too shadowed for him to decipher, hung around the edges of his mind. The woman was right. But it wasn't supposed be like this! This was supposed to be his eternal rest...he shouldn't still have a pulse, still have to breathe... and goddamit, he shouldn't be glowing! Again the woman laughed, and this time he glared at her.

"You are giving me many questions to answer, little fledgling. Come and sit, while I tell you of
what's happening." Somewhat hesitantly, Gerard crept back towards the bed and climbed in, pulling his legs underneath him to kneel facing her. She nodded with satisfaction and began. "My name is Shanna. I'm going to guide you and teach you a few things about our world. The great guardians believe you will learn quickly - you'll be on your own as soon as you think you can manage it."

Gerard's eye brows raised and his lower lip stuck out slightly. She had barely skimmed the surface of his questions. Not to mention that the things she was telling him sounded like the plot to some sort of story book. Great guardians? Seriously? He pushed his skeptism aside, frowning as she moved on.

"You came into a state of awareness when you remembered the life that you had before your first heart stopped beating. When you began to miss your brother, and wonder where he was. Gerard, the small amount of time it took you to come to that state of awareness is incredible...we've never seen it before. It shows us that you care very much about the people you had surrounded yourself with..." She trailed off as his face twisted into further confusion and sighed. The sound reminded Gerard of a breeze chasing through the cattails that used to grow around the swamps of his childhood. Apparently, she saw this memory, too, and it brought a charming new light to her face. "You've recconnected to your life and sense of being so much faster than is usual... Gerard, you will make an excellent guardian."

"Guardian?" He whispered, surprised by his own voice. It really wasn't different. He had expected it to take on an enchanting tone; to become magical, like everything else around him. It's familiar sound was comforting, and he relaxed substantially. Shanna gave him a few moments to think over what she had told him so far. Gerard spent the start of his quiet time coming up with more questions.

Where, exactly, was he? Who was Shanna, and why had she been sent to him? Who were the great guardians? Why was she looking at him like that? And then his mind moved on to rolling over what he'd heard so far. One word really stood out. Guardian... "Do you mean like a guardian angel?"

"Yes, I suppose I do. But our definition of a guardian angel is a bit different than yours."

"Of course it is." He sighed and fell back on the bed, getting comfortable. He wanted each and every detail, and he wasn't doing anything until he got them.
Sign up to rate and review this story