Categories > Original > Romance > Starting Anew

Two

by _Amy_Revenge_ 5 reviews

Category: Romance - Rating: G - Genres: Humor - Published: 2009-12-09 - Updated: 2009-12-12 - 976 words

5Ambiance
Right-o then.. Here's the next chapter..



Pain.

That's all my brain registers as I furiously rub the back of my head. That and the fact that it's all Silvester's fault. Stupid cat. He was supposed to be inside hours ago!

Mreoww, he whines to me. Probably asking me why I'm ignoring him. He rubs up against my legs, manuevering himself around them when I start towards the bathroom. I trip over him and he let's out a pained howl, then resumes rubbing against me. I resist the urge to kick him and just nudge him out of the way. Then I rush to the bathroom and shut the door. Silvester meows and bumps against it, trying to open it like he always does. I study my head using the bathroom mirror and my small hand-held mirror. No blood, just a small scrape. I swear, that cat has it out for me.

I sigh and open the door. Silvester runs at me and jumps up into my arms. In case you're wondering, he's a big kitty, even for a kitten. Well, a kind of kitten. He's about a year and a half.

Mreoww, he whines again, rubbing his face against my chin.

"You are so lucky I love you, Silly. Otherwise you'd be cat food by now." He starts to purr.

I roll my eyes and walk downstairs. As soon as I reach the kitchen Silvester jumps out of my arms, scratching me in the process, and runs straight to the bowl of cold spaghetti I left for him. His tail swings back and forth. Careful not to distract him, I tip-toe back to the stairs, and run right into Dad.

"Oh -hey Dad, what are you doing up so late?" He smiles and ruffles my hair.

"Hey Sweatheart," he says, sleep slurring his words just slightly. "I could say the same for you." I smile and shrug.

"Silvester woke me up a little while ago -big lug climbed up the tree."

"So the scream was you?" I smile sheepishly and nod. He pats the top of my head and I wince.

"Yeah, he licked my nose when I didn't realise he was there. Scared me, made me scream, and I bumpeded my head." I pout like a little kid who wants something and Dad chuckles. Then, feeling a bit courageous, I ask, "Daddy, did you get in trouble at work?"

Dad sighs, rubs his jaw. I swallow and look down at my toes. Then, after a minute of silence, he wraps his arm around me and leads me back into the kitchen. I lean against the counter and watch as he makes himself a cup of instant coffee. I look over and see Silvester still chowing down.

"Katie, will you hand me the milk?" My head snaps over to Dad, and I know at once I was spacing. I nod and reach into the 'fridge, pulling out the Skim milk. Ew. I hand it to him. He stands at the stove, stirring his coffee, in total silence. When I can't stand it any more I clear my throat and he looks over at me. "Yes Katie?" He sips his drink.

"Are you going to answer my question?"

"There's nothing to answer." Great. He's going to play his game. I sigh and walk over to him.

"Come on, Dad. I heard you and Mom talking earlier. I know you got in trouble." He glances at me and shrugs, then takes another sip.

"I'll tell you when-"

"What? When Dave comes over and tells you that you're fired? Tell me, please, Dad?" He sighs and downs the rest of his coffee, wincing slightly as it slides down his throat. Then he stands to his full height and looks down at me.

"Alright. I didn't want to worry you, but since you really want to know I guess I will. Yes, I got in trouble at work today. That's why I was gone longer. The meeting was just with my boss, letting me know that there's a slight chance I might get transferred to another firm."

"What, like in another city?" He shakes his head. "Another state?"

"Possibly, yes. I don't want it to happen, but if it does I might get paid more."

"I don't wanna move," I whisper. Dad hugs me.

"I know, Sweetheart. I know. But don't worry about it right now, it probably won't happen. Now, go back to bed." I nod and walk off, but when I reach the stairs Dad calls me back.

"Yeah?" I ask, pausing in the door way. He smiles and nods to Silvester.

"Take the cat with you, kay?" I roll my eyes and pick up Silvester, who's busy cleaning himself. He protests and tries to get away, but I hold him tighter and kiss his nose. He purrs softly -all is forgiven.

"G'night, Daddy," I call while climbing the stairs.

"Good night, Katie."



-- -- -- -- -- --



Staring at my ceiling, Silvester asleep and snoring softly at my side, I ponder over the moving possibility. Would I be able to handle moving? I'd have to change schools (obviously). I'd have to make new friends, too. Well, then again, friends aren't that important. At least I've got Silly. Hey, maybe I could even talk Mom and Dad into letting me take my classes online. That'd be cool.

Silvester meows at me and crawls onto my chest, then licks my face.

"Okay okay, Silly, I get it. I'm falling asleep, I promise." He gives me the cat version of 'Yeah, whatever' and curls up on my side again. I roll over and lay one arm over him, already nodding off. Silvester is snoring again and the sun is beginning to rise.

I groan and pull the covers over my face. And Silvester's. Why must I suffer from insomnia?
Sign up to rate and review this story